PDA

View Full Version : Do coaches "hide" players so they can go Practice Squad?

Grover
08-30-2010, 06:41 PM
I was thinking about this in relation to Kevin Alexander and Jammie Kirlew. We haven't seen much of either player since the first preseason game. I've noticed #53 (Kirlew) on Special Teams only.

I know we have fourteen players listed as some sort of Linebacker. Counting out Dumervil and Reid because of injury, that leaves 12 players trying to make an impact. Not seeing certain players might mean they're so far down the depth chart that they can't see the field on game day. But both Kirlew and Alexander made positive plays in the first preseason game. Might it be that McDaniels wants these guys on the Practice Squad, and he doesn't want to give other teams much film to study? Do you not play a player in preseason games because you think you might be able to sneak him on the Practice Squad if he clears waivers? Just curious if anyone has any insights on this.

rcsodak
08-30-2010, 07:39 PM
Good way to get your butt in a ringer by doing that. McD knows what he has in them since theyve been with the team the longest. He prolly wanted to see what he had with wwilliams/may/etc. Game 4 may be the deciding game for them since theyll all have played a game.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Lonestar
08-30-2010, 08:35 PM
I was thinking about this in relation to Kevin Alexander and Jammie Kirlew. We haven't seen much of either player since the first preseason game. I've noticed #53 (Kirlew) on Special Teams only.

I know we have fourteen players listed as some sort of Linebacker. Counting out Dumervil and Reid because of injury, that leaves 12 players trying to make an impact. Not seeing certain players might mean they're so far down the depth chart that they can't see the field on game day. But both Kirlew and Alexander made positive plays in the first preseason game. Might it be that McDaniels wants these guys on the Practice Squad, and he doesn't want to give other teams much film to study? Do you not play a player in preseason games because you think you might be able to sneak him on the Practice Squad if he clears waivers? Just curious if anyone has any insights on this.

They do it all the time.

I heard a comment by one of the HC that said before going into TC they KNEW already that 45+ players were going to make their team that left about 8-12 slots open for grabs and most of them were ST players or someone that can play several positions.

Also said occasionally they are surprised by a newbie or Vet. that really shines and take a spot but with all of the OTA, mini camp and with teh players for the most part being at the facility year round the position coaches KNOW what they have already.

not a big surprise like many years ago when the players had second jobs to supplement their incomes in the off season. Back then they used TC to get into shape, first and foremost.