PDA

View Full Version : Busts No More?

Denver Native (Carol)
08-30-2010, 12:11 PM
Broncos insider article received via email:

DENVER, CO. (Gary Miller, CBS4) ― Sunday night, the Denver Broncos' defense showed some signs the coaches, fans and even the players have been waiting for. In their win over the Steelers, they put pressure on the Pittsburgh quarterbacks, and were led by two players who look like they're finally starting to fulfill their potential.

It's not only fair, it's accurate to have labeled Jarvis Moss and Robert Ayers as first round "busts". Moss was the Broncos first round pick in 2007, and for three years they have waited for him to live up to expectations. Ayers was the top pick in 2009, and he'll be the first to tell you his rookie season was a blur. It flew by, and he was consistently a step behind. But now three games into preseason, both players are making the most of their opportunity to play key roles in the Broncos defense.

Ayers is starting with the first unit, and he's been able to put consistent pressure on opposing quarterbacks. He now understands where he should be and what it takes to get there. Ayers re-dedicated himself during the off season. He accepted responsibility for his disappointing first season and did everything in his power to make sure it wouldn't happen again. He threw himself into the offseason workout program and his playbook. He promised himself he'd be a much better player this year. Ayers believed he could be a difference maker and so far he's proving it on the field.

The coach has noticed the difference. Josh McDaniels has spent the spring and summer telling anyone who'll listen Robert Ayers is a new man. Someone he believes will make the Bronco defense much better this season. He's saying the same thing these days about Jarvis Moss as well.

For three long years, Moss did nothing but disappoint the Broncos. He was underweight and overmatched. Not strong enough to make any kind of impact on the defensive line. In fact, last year, he disappeared for a few days during training camp, not sure if he wanted to keep playing football.
When he returned, he still couldn't crack the lineup. His appearances were few and ineffective.

Now in his 4th year, and perhaps in his last chance, Moss is starting to show the potential the Broncos saw when they drafted him 4 years ago. He's long and lean with a lightning quick first step. He's consistently beating slower offensive lineman and creating havoc for opposing quarterbacks. He's more of a situational player than Ayers, but he's definitely showing the ability to contribute.

On a Bronco defense searching for playmakers, they may have found them in two recent first round draft picks who, if preseason is any indication, can't be called "busts" anymore.

silkamilkamonico
08-30-2010, 12:19 PM
Labeling Ayers a "bust" after 1 year at a new position isn't only football stupidity but article discreditable.

I can agree with it about Moss though.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
08-30-2010, 12:32 PM
Never labelled Ayers a "bust". I always thought he would eventually be a solid player and so far, this pre-season, it seems he's really come into his own.

broncophan
08-30-2010, 12:37 PM
I once knew a lady who lost 100 pounds.....and that is what is what I said to her....."Busts No More?

arapaho2
08-30-2010, 12:44 PM
ayers is set to prove his drsft position...he looks solid...i can imagine this season had doom not been lost...doom and ayers would be a force

moss is showing up..pure speed rusher..he will get past a few tackles this year...i see 5-6 sacks a solid estimation

Lonestar
08-30-2010, 12:59 PM
many folks acted like ayers was a bust because he did not lead the team in tackles, sacks and frankly looked clueless out there for much of last year.

I suspect that IF I looked hard enough on the forum that there would be many illusions to it. BY our members.

I remember several time where I posted that had doom not been to the QB a fraction of a second before Ayers gotten there Ayers would have gotten the sack instead from the other side. towards that later part of the season he was starting to come on, after struggling early in the year.

looks to me that he is looking better and better every game getting some confidence that he lack last year.

Sacks are great but hurries that result in picks are even nicer.

Lets see if he can do this during the yer when it counts.

As for Moss maybe there is some fire in there we all missed. Just maybe that staff infection was more devastating than we all knew.

Would love for him to have a contract year if for no other reason than it would be good for the team.

Bosco
08-30-2010, 01:46 PM
Labeling Ayers a "bust" after 1 year at a new position isn't only football stupidity but article discreditable.

Especially when just about anyone who follows the draft knew that the word on this kid was that he would be a kick ass player, in a couple years.

Either way, the thought of having Ayers and Moss both coming flying in off the edge has to be a scary thought for quarterbacks.

I Eat Staples
08-30-2010, 03:04 PM

I can agree with it about Moss though.

I second this statement.

I Eat Staples
08-30-2010, 03:05 PM
Either way, the thought of having Ayers and Moss both coming flying in off the edge has to be a scary thought for quarterbacks.

I doubt that. No one fears Jarvis Moss.