PDA

View Full Version : Training Camp Preview - Rookies and Special Teams

kmonty
07-22-2008, 07:22 PM
Parts 2 and 3 of BroncoTalk's training camp preview have dropped. We'll be wrapping it up with the offense and defense in the next two days!

Rookies:
http://broncotalk.net/2008/07/2008-denver-broncos-training-camp-preview-rookies/

Special Teams:
http://broncotalk.net/2008/07/2008-denver-broncos-training-camp-preview-special-teams/

Training camp is so close... can't you just taste it? :D

Lonestar
07-22-2008, 07:43 PM
for those that can't link up.

Rookies:
2008 Denver Broncos - Training Camp Preview - Rookies
Posted Mon Jul 21st by Kyle

The 2008 Denver Broncos report for training camp this Thursday, July 24, with practices beginning at 8:30 AM on Friday. For the 2008 rookie class, it’s an introduction to their new teammates, as well as life in the NFL. With some of the base offense and defense packages installed in mini camps, the team begins a broader and more focused exploration of the playbook. They’ll become more familiar with the speed and physicality of the NFL (along with their teammates’ pads).

In part 2 of our 5-part series, we’ll take a look at every single rookie (drafted or undrafted), see what their chances are of making the team or breaking into the starting lineup, and then speculate on what we can expect from them during the season.

Sunday - Overview
Monday - Rookies
Tuesday - Special Teams
Wednesday - Offense
Thursday - Defense
Drafted
Ryan Clady, OT, 1st Round
Ryan Clady was the player I targeted for the Broncos before the draft, and I couldn’t be happier that we ended up getting him 12th overall. A fierce blocker with a mean streak and great footwork, Clady is expected to provide an upgrade over veteran Matt Lepsis, who retired after a difficult 2007 season. He comes with experience in a zone blocking system similar to the style the Broncos currently employ, giving him an edge on the learning curve. The starting left tackle position is his to lose, and while we can anticipate that he’ll struggle and make rookie mistakes from time to time, I still expect him to have the biggest impact of any player the Broncos added this season, rookie or otherwise.
Prediction: Clady will start at LT all year and significantly improve the offensive line

Eddie Royal, WR, 2nd Round
From the moment the Broncos drafted him, the buzz around Eddie Royal was all about special teams. The Broncos are counting on Royal to be an ace returner, and have already indicated he will be working with both the kick and punt return units during practice. At first it seemed like this is where Royal would have his biggest impact in his rookie season - now, rumor has it that the coaches have been impressed with Royal in mini camps, and they’ll give him a chance to win the #2 wide receiver job from the likes of Darrell Jackson, Samie Parker, and Keary Colbert.
Prediction: While it’s exciting to hear he’s been impressive thus far, I still think he’ll be resigned mostly to special teams in year one. I’m expecting a few punt returns for touchdowns and limited snaps with the offense.

Kory Lichtensteiger, C, 4th Round
Kory Lichtensteiger, the first of two Broncos fourth round picks in 2008, is not expected to do much on the field this season, and his training camp will reflect that. Expect Lichtensteiger to soak up the playbook as he practices as the third string Center while recuperating a nagging shoulder injury that mildly hampered some of his practices during mini camp. Barring a series of injuries, he won’t see the field in 2008.
Prediction: Learn all he can while warming the bench. Some special teams work.

Jack Williams, CB, 4th Round
This little guy will remind many fans of the fallen Bronco who shares his surname. Jack Williams is similar in height and weight to Darrent Williams, and provides insurance for the Broncos as the 5th cornerback option. With Domonique Foxworth and Karl Paymah both set to become free agents this year, the Broncos have flexibility beyond 2008 in their contract negotiations. Barring injury, he’ll learn the defense as a backup this year.
Prediction: Learn all he can while warming the bench. Plenty of special teams work.

Ryan Torain, RB, 5th Round
Ryan Torain enters an interesting situation with the Broncos. The main concern will be keeping his foot healthy after he sustained a Lisfranc sprain last year. After undergoing a new type of experimental surgery that significantly reduces the recovery time, Torain claims he is ready to go. The Broncos have preliminarily named Selvin Young the starter, but if Torain impresses he could steal snaps from last year’s leading rusher.
Prediction: Will be the team’s #2 behind Young.

Carlton Powell, DT, 5th Round
Carlton Powell specializes in stuffing the run, something the Broncos desperately need in 2008. Compared often to DeWayne Robertson, Powell will likely see quite a bit of game time in the DT rotation this year. I expect him to make the active lineup most every week this year.
Prediction: Will see the field early and often

Spencer Larsen, LB, 6th Round
As I said in his bio (click his name to view), Larsen is an interesting guy in my eyes. The Broncos insisted on trying him out at fullback during mini camps. To me, and this is just speculation, that tells me that was their intention when they drafted him. Now they’ve announced he’ll be back at linebacker, and I don’t think he has a roster spot locked up. For one, the competition at the position will be fierce (9 guys on the roster now, with only 6 spots traditionally). He’ll have to really perform well on special teams to knock the likes of Louis Green off the roster.
Prediction: Really hard to say at this point. He’s a hard worker and a real smart guy. I think he’ll make the team and play special teams this year.

Josh Barrett, S, 7th Round
After signing two free agent safeties this offseason, the Broncos don’t need 7th round pick Josh Barrett to see the field on defense much this year. With Hamza Abdullah and Marlon McCree only signed through 2008, he could very well be a starter next year though.
Prediction: He’ll see plenty of work on special teams and will also likely see the field on defense during the second half of the year.

Peyton Hillis, S, 7th Round
Among rookies, only first round pick Ryan Clady has more potential to break the starting lineup as early as Hillis does. A perfect fullback for the West Coast offense, Hillis brings a pass-catching threat the Broncos haven’t had at the position in years. If he can improve his blocking (rumor has it he’s already bulking up, gaining 10 lbs.), he can be a real impact player for the Broncos early and often. What a steal.
Prediction: I’ll go on record now and say he WILL top the depth chart at fullback by opening day.

Undrafted
Note: Undrafted rookie kicker Garrett Hartley was released today.

Anthony Alridge, RB
A smaller back who brings a special edge to special teams as a returner. Will likely be a practice squadder, but I’d guess he’d be one of the first players to be promoted to the active roster in the case of injury.

Mitch Erickson, G
Erickson is a bubble player who will have to really impress to make even the practice squad. I’m guessing he’ll be a camp cut.

Brett Kern, P
Kern will compete with Sam Paulescu for the punting duties this year.

Tyler Polumbus, OT
The tradition of undrafted tackles out of Colorado/Colorado State continues with Polumbus. He’ll make the practice squad this year, and the Broncos will cross their fingers he won’t get picked up (there were many teams inquiring about his services just after the draft). If Pears doesn’t show improvement from last year, I’d expect Polumbus to make the roster in his stead.

Lorne Sam, WR
In a crowded wide receiver competition, Lorne Sam would have to really, really shine to make the team. He has some physical tools that really catch the eye (he rushed for over 400 yards at 5.7 ypc on top of his receiving stats for his career). Virtual lock to make the PS - we know Shanny loves his wide receiver projects.

Wesley Woodyard, LB
Woodyard was insanely productive in college, and I’m really excited about the prospect of him on the field. Could make the team, even over 6th round pick Spencer Larsen.

Lonestar
07-22-2008, 07:44 PM
2008 Denver Broncos - Training Camp Preview - Special Teams
Posted Tue Jul 22nd by Kyle

The 2008 Denver Broncos report for training camp this Thursday, July 24, with practices beginning at 8:30 AM on Friday. The first special teams practice will be Saturday afternoon at 3:40 PM, and the Broncos have a lot of questions to answer on a unit that looks remarkably different from last year’s squad. The Broncos will have a new kicker, a new punter, likely all new returners, and a host of incoming rookies to help out on special teams coverage.

Sunday - Overview
Monday - Rookies
Tuesday - Special Teams
Wednesday - Offense
Thursday - Defense
Kicker - Matt Prater
The release of undrafted rookie K Garrett Hartley yesterday leaves Matt Prater as the club’s only player at the position. Can he hold the fort, or will the Broncos bring in a veteran to compete for the job? At this point, I think it all depends on how Prater does in practice. At the first signs of struggle, I imagine the Broncos will jump at one of the veteran kickers on the market. They had previously hosted Mr. Idiot-Kicker himself Mike Vanderjagt for a workout, who has since signed a contract with the CFL. The Denver Post threw out the names John Carney and Dave Rayner as possible options.
Prediction: That’s not the strongest of markets. Prater wins the job, which honestly has me shaking in my boots a bit.

Punter - Sam Paulescu, Brett Kern
Paulescu played for the Broncos in Week 17 last year, punting five times for 221 yards (44.2 gross / 40.0 net) with one punt placed inside the 20. He has the early edge to win the punter job, but the Broncos brought in undrafted rookie Brett Kern to compete. Their college stats are very similar, but I’d give the slight edge to Kern. We’ll see if Paulescu’s experience can help him win the job.
Prediction: It really is a flip of the coin. Kern excites me a bit more, and I’m guessing he gets the job.

Returners - Eddie Royal, Anthony Alridge, Jack Williams, Andre Hall, Glenn Martinez
The competition at this spot should be fierce, although the Broncos drafted Royal with the intention of improving their special teams. If Alridge wants to make the team, he will absolutely have to impress in this area of the field. Meanwhile, CB Williams will see work here as well. Last year’s main returning duo, Andre Hall and Glenn Martinez, have a lot of competition coming into the season.
Prediction: Expect Royal to get a load of return duties, especially on punt returns. Andre Hall will be “the guy” on kickoffs, and Jack Williams will get some looks as well.

Long Snapper - Mike Leach, Kory Lichtensteiger
Leach has this job pretty well locked up, but it’s worth noting that the Broncos have mentioned interest in Lichtensteiger performing in this area as well.
Prediction: Leach will still be the guy.

Coverage Units
Nothing like getting torched for two Devin Hester touchdowns to bring this part of the field into striking clarity. Most of the rookies will see a lot of action on special teams coverage units, but what really interests me is how veteran players who have had success on special teams in years past will fare in training camp this year. The Broncos don’t often keep more than six linebackers, nor do they often keep more than four safeties. They currently have 14 players for those 10 spots - the hardest part is that you can make an argument for every single player making the team. I’m guessing they’ll keep 11, but where does that leave a special teams guru like Louis Green?
Prediction: This area looks like it will be getting an infusion of youth this year.

Special teams practices take place every other afternoon fairly consistently - with a huge turnover from last year, this year’s practices should be interesting.

kmonty
07-22-2008, 11:02 PM
thanks jrwiz :2thumbs: