PDA

View Full Version : A Good Test

Denver Native (Carol)
08-28-2010, 07:43 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/A-Good-Test/1ca11749-b745-4503-995b-2cc501f7907e

Sunday's preseason game against Pittsburgh at INVESCO Field at Mile High won't count in the final standings. But Broncos players and coaches say there's still plenty to gain from the contest.

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Andre' Goodman generally views the preseason as a time for teams to experiment and fine-tune to ensure they're ready when the games start counting in the standings.

During a Friday media session, the ninth-year cornerback asked that his Broncos team not be judged on their first two preseason games -- both losses -- for that very reason.

But when thinking ahead to Sunday's nationally televised home game against Pittsburgh, Goodman took a slightly different perspective.

Many teams use the third preseason game as a veritable trial run for the regular season with starters playing well into the second half. Faced with a primetime matchup against a team that has won two of the last five Super Bowls, Goodman and the Broncos know their home preseason finale will provide a stiff test of their readiness to kick off the 2010 regular season.

"As a team, we'll kind of get a real feel of where we are as a football team against this Pittsburgh Steelers team that we know is a contender," Goodman said. "(Sunday we will) just get a feel overall for what kind of team we have."

On Thursday, Head Coach Josh McDaniels confirmed the Broncos first units will play into the third quarter on Sunday, allowing players and coaches to go through a more normal halftime that includes making adjustments and game-planning for the start of the second half.

That's exciting news for the first-team offense, which has impressed with a pair of touchdown drives in each of the first two preseason games.

Kyle Orton has enjoyed one of the best preseasons of any starter in the league thus far, throwing four touchdowns en route to a 119.9 passer rating. With the Sept. 12 season opener in Jacksonville looming, the quarterback hopes to continue that roll.

"This is your last time to get out there to get significant playing time before Jacksonville," Orton said, "so you obviously want to end with a good taste in your mouth."

That unit could also benefit with the return of running backs Correll Buckhalter and LenDale White, who both returned to practice this week after missing time with injuries. However, McDaniels said he will wait until closer to gametime to make the best decision for the players.

Even if they don't suit up, they've had the benefit of practicing through what some look at as the most important week of the preseason.

Brandon Lloyd said the preparations for the third preseason game take on an added intensity with the ultimate goal being a win bringing good feelings that linger into the first weeks of regular season play.

"I like it just from the momentum standpoint," said Lloyd, a wide receiver going through his eighth preseason. "Getting the win with the first unit playing the majority of the game, it does a lot for me and my confidence going into the regular season."

Playing such an important game against Pittsburgh -- a team that beat the Broncos on Monday Night Football at INVESCO Field at Mile High last season -- may even raise the intensity.

The Steelers bring a 2-0 preseason record into their first-ever preseason trip to the Mile High City. McDaniels said the AFC North team brings a physicality that will be tough to match.

The Broncos made moves this offseason to fortify their offensive and defensive lines, providing the newcomers a good early season test. The head coach said it will be interesting to see two teams with similar styles hit it out on the field.

Goodman said one of the Broncos defense's major goals is to turn around a run defense that has allowed 171 rushing yards per game so far. Facing a backfield that includes dynamic running back Rashard Mendenhall adds to that challenge.

The game won't affect the regular season standings, and there's sure to be some of the experimenting and fine-tuning that Goodman has come to expect from preseason football. But it's clear there's plenty to gain from a quality performance Sunday night.

Whatever the outcome, it's a good bet the Broncos will know more about themselves come Monday morning.

"It's good to get out there with everybody and just see what we can do, especially going up against the Steelers," Lloyd said. "They bring it every game regardless of if it's a regular season or a preseason game. This will be a good test for us and it will definitely show us where we are as a unit and where we are as a team."

rcsodak
08-28-2010, 10:44 PM
I hope Roethlisraper plays and gets BURIED. :coffee:

BroncoDiva87
08-29-2010, 05:43 PM
I hope Roethlisraper plays and gets BURIED. :coffee:

Totally Carol!!! I used to like him.... I have since Lost ALL respect for him.... I think those concussions REALLY changed him.. Unless, that is how he always was and he's finally revealing his Character:tsk:

rcsodak
08-30-2010, 07:28 AM
Totally Carol!!! I used to like him.... I have since Lost ALL respect for him.... I think those concussions REALLY changed him.. Unless, that is how he always was and he's finally revealing his Character:tsk:

huh? lol

I tend to think his concussions are an excuse.

threefolddead
08-30-2010, 08:30 AM
Ben is a backwards hat guys as Colin Cowherd would say meaning that successful people don't where their hats backwards and these playboys always will ala Ben and Romo.