PDA

View Full Version : Time to Refine

Denver Native (Carol)
08-27-2010, 10:02 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Time-to-Refine/c72b86d1-d2eb-4f51-9163-c622c6431f19

For Brandon Lloyd, the preseason is a chance to hone his craft and think about the steps that paved the way for his career in the NFL.

You don't hear many NFL professionals lauding the merits of a lengthy preseason. Eighth-year veteran Brandon Lloyd tells a different story.

"I'm a proponent of the preseason," Lloyd said. "Coming in as a fourth-round pick, I had to prove myself."

Lloyd's fondness for preseason football indelibly ties back to his rookie year in San Francisco, where he went from second-day selection to contributor in all 16 games, leading the 49ers with 15.1 yards-per-catch. He said success in the four games leading up to Week 1 always gives him confidence.

To the wide receiver a professional work ethic means taking any opportunity to hone your skills, even if that happens in four games that don't count in the standings. He doesn't subscribe to the thought that preseason records don't affect the team.

"I think putting up a win in this preseason, going into the regular season that could do a lot for us," Lloyd said. "I think it's just good for morale purposes -- winning, getting that taste in your mouth."

For players breaking a sweat to end up on the final 53-man roster, the preseason is an opportunity to showcase their talent and prove their worth to the coaching staff. Lloyd's familar with this scenario, but his big break came in a two-game stretch at the end of last season, his first with the club.

He's appreciative of any extra chance a player gets to prove his value to the team. Lloyd characterized himself as an "insurance policy" for the starters during the fourteen games the team listed him as inactive, but proved to be a hefty bonus when he found the field.

When he got a chance to suit up for the team's last couple of games against the Eagles and the Chiefs, he caught 8 passes for 117 yards.

He built on his own momentum from the end of 2008 and further developed his relationship with Kyle Orton from the 2008 season they spent together in Chicago. Now you can find Lloyd listed on the depth chart opposite Jabar Gaffney as a starting receiver.

"I think I've played better, I'm more consistent and I'm healthier," Lloyd said. "That all factors in."

In two games this preseason, he demonstrated he's comfortable with the first unit by catching a 6-yard touchdown pass from Orton in the red zone. He's accumulated five catches for 28 yards in typical preseason minutes for a starter.

While he works with the first-team offense, the memories of breaking into the league stick with Lloyd. No longer a mid-round draft choice questionable to make a team, he urges the younger wide receivers to take this time to evolve as professionals while he doles out whatever accumulated advice he can provide.

"When I was young, I couldn't wait to be the veteran to share my knowledge with other players," Lloyd said. "I have years in the game. I have knowledge in my head and I feel like it's my obligation to share it."

gobroncsnv
08-27-2010, 10:58 PM
Let's hope he's another "pre-season discovery" on the order of TD... what a windfall that could be.
There are many who are late bloomers, who need the shot in meaningless games they get so that someday they can play in games that count. Good reminder that, while EVERYBODY wishes the preseason were over, to guys like Lloyd, it's their only chance at proving themselves...
Interesting perspective. Who knows how this guy will finally turn out, but he's fared well thus far.

Lonestar
08-27-2010, 11:10 PM
Like this kid. May never be a biggie. But most likely will not have to worry about being in the commishes office either.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Bosco
08-28-2010, 01:26 AM
Like this kid. May never be a biggie. But most likely will not have to worry about being in the commishes office either.

Lloyd is a pretty decent option to man the X role until Thomas is up to speed.

broncobryce
08-28-2010, 11:39 AM
He's always been inconsistent. I had a friend who was a 49er fan and said the guy will make spectacular catches but drop the easy ones. that was like 4-5 years ago. Hopefully he can catch both now. I want us to be like the Saints in terms of having 5 guys with at least 40 catches. The defense has no clue who to look for.

turftoad
08-28-2010, 11:50 AM
If we have to rely on Lloyd as a starting WR, we're in deep trouble.

I Eat Staples
08-28-2010, 04:10 PM
Lloyd sucks. Hands down. I hope they cut him but sadly it isn't looking like they will.

Bosco
08-28-2010, 05:09 PM
He's always been inconsistent. I had a friend who was a 49er fan and said the guy will make spectacular catches but drop the easy ones. that was like 4-5 years ago. Hopefully he can catch both now. I want us to be like the Saints in terms of having 5 guys with at least 40 catches. The defense has no clue who to look for.

The guy has always had great talent. From what I have heard, his problem is that he never seemed to dedicate himself to football (I believe he is an aspiring rapper or something like that) and that resulted in him never realizing his potential. It also appears he has finally committed himself to football and apparently Josh and company were very impressed with how ready to go he was in the last two weeks of 2009.

Lonestar
08-28-2010, 05:50 PM
Not like he has not shown up so far this year. No matter who is there one can argue that any position can be improved by someone.

rcsodak
08-29-2010, 07:27 AM
He's good for making the occasional acrobatic catch. If he can translate that into consistancy, all the bettter. Get open and catch the ball......I'll be pleased.

BroncoNut
08-29-2010, 07:39 AM
He's good for making the occasional acrobatic catch. If he can translate that into consistancy, all the bettter. Get open and catch the ball......I'll be pleased.

are we talking about Brandon Lloyd?

TXBRONC
08-29-2010, 08:32 AM

All give Lloyd this, he seems like a hard worker but that hasn't translated to high productivity to this point in his career. Maybe it will now.

rcsodak
08-30-2010, 07:25 AM
yes. :lol:

All give Lloyd this, he seems like a hard worker but that hasn't translated to high productivity to this point in his career. Maybe it will now.

I've 'heard', that he's always seemed to rely on his athleticism but not really put the time into preparedness. I've also 'heard', that McD is turning that around, positively.

I hope he does, because I don't think it'd be wise to rely on rooks early on.