PDA

View Full Version : Analysis: McDaniels won't rush Dumervil decision

Denver Native (Carol)
08-27-2010, 04:11 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15905075?source=rss

Though the NFL's first roster cutdown — to 75 players — isn't required until Tuesday, the Broncos go into Sunday night's game at Pittsburgh already there.

With the release of a handful of players this week, including Cherry Creek High School alumnus Tyler Polumbus, the Broncos reached the first benchmark, and they are likely to make additional cuts shortly after Sunday's game.

NFL rosters don't have to be down to 53 players until Sept. 4, but Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said if the team doesn't think a player is in a position to appear in the preseason finale in Minnesota, he might be let go.

Asked Thursday why the Broncos elected to go to 75 players early McDaniels said: "We think it's fairer to give them an opportunity to go play someplace else, on a team where they may have a chance to win a job. We'll probably try to do more of the same, even though we're already down there, just because I think it's the fairest thing to do for the player."

The Broncos, at least for now, are inclined to leave outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil on the roster as he continues to heal from surgery to repair a torn pectoral tendon and muscle damage. Most players miss an entire season with the injury, but the Broncos hope he might be able to return this season.

McDaniels said the Broncos' injury situation at other positions could impact the decision.

"We're letting the thing heal, the stitches, and all the rest of that stuff, we're talking to the doctors soon," McDaniels said. "We have not made any, obviously, decisions yet. We're going to see the next few weeks here how this goes and then try to make the best decision we can for him and for the team. But we're going to give it as much time as we possibly can.

"He's a very valuable player to us, but he also has a very valuable future. So, we're not going to try to compromise to save a few games here and there if that's what it ends up being. We're going to try to do the best thing for the team and I think also, the last couple weeks here as the roster plays out, based on injuries, maybe there is a better chance that we just hold out hope, maybe there's not. But nothing is more important than his health."

Lonestar
08-27-2010, 04:30 PM
I suspect he is gone for the year.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

rcsodak
08-27-2010, 04:39 PM
So can they not put him on PUP? Its either 53 or IR?

Tempus Fugit
08-27-2010, 04:46 PM
So can they not put him on PUP? Its either 53 or IR?

Once you practice in training camp, you are no longer eligible for PUP.

Lonestar
08-27-2010, 04:49 PM
Yep keep him active except on game days or IR.

I Eat Staples
08-27-2010, 08:55 PM
Just put him on IR.

JDL
08-27-2010, 10:56 PM
Well, they don't need to make a decision early. If they have more injuries or a real need after the season begins they can still put him on IR at any time, so that would at least allow them to see how the healing is progressing and really how the season is shaping up. If you are 2-4 after 6 games, you may just IR him, if you are 5-1... you're probably going to hold out hope.

TXBRONC
08-27-2010, 11:15 PM
Just put him on IR.

I think McDaniels is hoping that Dumervil could come back late in the season to help the Broncos make a push for the playoffs.

Lonestar
08-28-2010, 12:03 AM
Not sure how you came up to a magic number of 6 weeks. But I'll guess that they will hold him off IR regardless of our record until they know when he can come back. If he is for sure out till mid december I suspect they will IR him. And save the chance of not making it worse.

spikerman
08-28-2010, 08:47 AM
Not sure how you came up to a magic number of 6 weeks. But I'll guess that they will hold him off IR regardless of our record until they know when he can come back. If he is for sure out till mid december I suspect they will IR him. And save the chance of not making it worse.

I think (and I could be wrong) that if you put a player on PUP they have to sit out 6 weeks.

Lonestar
08-28-2010, 12:08 PM
Ok that makes sense. But since the only one now on PUP is reid that is moot in this case.

Northman
08-28-2010, 12:13 PM
I would hope he wouldnt rush Doom back. That would be absolutely moronic.

TXBRONC
08-28-2010, 03:31 PM
I would hope he wouldnt rush Doom back. That would be absolutely moronic.

Agreed and I don't think most coaches would run that risk that kind of risk with their players.

I Eat Staples
08-28-2010, 03:59 PM
I think McDaniels is hoping that Dumervil could come back late in the season to help the Broncos make a push for the playoffs.

Yeah but I don't think it's worth it. I don't think we're winning the superbowl this year so there's no reason to rush one of our best players back.

JDL
08-29-2010, 01:02 PM

Just an arbitrary number of games to allow for more information. You aren't going to wait until December to make that decision if the season goes south early or more importantly if it appears to be heading south because of a rash of injuries. Don't know if you were directing at me, but my point is only the coaches have no reason to make a decision right now... the team should be (hopefully) fairly healthy going into the season. No reason to not let a month, maybe two go by to at least attempt to get all the information you can on the progress of his recovery before making the decision to IR him.

missingnumber7
08-30-2010, 09:09 AM
All the more reason they need a Disabled List similar to MLB, especially if and when they go to 18 games. I think its ridiculous that I should have a star player that is hurt, and could come back towards the middle or end of the season to help with playoffs and I have 3 choices...IR him for the rest of the season, Keep him on the active roster and hold a spot, or release him so I can bring in somoone else and let anyone else pick him up. Granted having some kind of disabled list would be another holding spot for people to hide players with potential, but if you put a limitation on the number of players you put on there, and they have to be past the point of being put on the Practice squad.