PDA

View Full Version : Jay Cutler=The Second coming of Jake Plummer

*Atwater*
09-16-2007, 08:09 PM
Just as the the title says I think that Jay Cutler=The Second coming of Jake Plummer.

I kid I kid. :laugh: :laugh:

Reidman
09-16-2007, 08:10 PM
You will see this thread on another board and it won't be a joke unfortunately...

TXBRONC
09-16-2007, 08:12 PM
You will see this thread on another board and it won't be a joke unfortunately...

Are you saying one is already up?

*Atwater*
09-16-2007, 08:12 PM

Oh yeah im sure people will say to Bench Cutler and let Patrick Ramsey play.

sneakers
09-16-2007, 08:26 PM
Are you saying one is already up?

Yup, the sky is always falling!

topscribe
09-16-2007, 08:26 PM
Cutler did a tremendous job.

His first interception was a rookie mistake, to be sure, not seeing that LB
coming out of nowhere. The second, however, I have seen happen to the
best of them: a tipped ball into the hands of a defender who was lucky
enough to just happen to be there.

But Cutler had not one, but two critical drives, the first to tie the game and
the second to win it. This guy is clutch, in no uncertain terms.

-----

silver_black
09-16-2007, 08:27 PM
Cutler did a tremendous job.

His first interception was a rookie mistake, to be sure, not seeing that LB
coming out of nowhere. The second, however, I have seen happen to the
best of them: a tipped ball into the hands of a defender who was lucky
enough to just happen to be there.

But Cutler had not one, but two critical drives, the first to tie the game, and
the second to win it. This guy is clutch, in no uncertain terms.

-----
wow.

with our inept passing game i actually felt more comfortable with Cutler throwing the ball.

your take is interesting though :rolleyes:

xX-Bronco-Xx
09-16-2007, 08:28 PM
It's amazing though because he's playing like a veteran most times but when he does make those mistakes you realize this kid hasn't even started a full season and most of those mistakes are very fixable ones.

The future looks good for us. :first:

topscribe
09-16-2007, 08:31 PM
wow.

with our inept passing game i actually felt more comfortable with Cutler throwing the ball.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, except that your post looks an awful lot like smack . . .

-----

silver_black
09-16-2007, 08:33 PM
I'm not sure exactly what you mean, except that your post looks an awful lot like smack . . .

-----

really cause i was thinking the same thing about yours, Mod. :rolleyes:

when you guys won the coin toss i though that was a good thing for us. Cutler dropping back to pass looked like a better chance of winning than McCown with the ball.

topscribe
09-16-2007, 08:33 PM
It's amazing though because he's playing like a veteran most times but when he does make those mistakes you realize this kid hasn't even started a full season and most of those mistakes are very fixable ones.

The future looks good for us. :first:
You got that right. The kid knows how to excel when his back's to the wall, doesn't he? :beer:

-----

topscribe
09-16-2007, 08:36 PM
really cause i was thinking the same thing about yours, Mod. :rolleyes:

when you guys won the coin toss i though that was a good thing for us. Cutler dropping back to pass looked like a better chance of winning than McCown with the ball.
I don't know what you mean by your allusion to my posts. I was praising our
quarterback. Would you explain to me how that amounts to smack?

But if what you mean by your post is to put down McCown, I was deeply
impressed by that kid. You must remember he was up against Bailey/Bly.
Yes, he missed a wide open long one, but I have seen the best do that.

-----

East Coast Fan
09-16-2007, 08:40 PM
Cutler is going to make his mistakes, but I believe that in the long run he's gonna really be a very solid, talented player. Let's pick this conversation up about 8 weeks from now and see where he stands then as well as the rest of the team.

topscribe
09-16-2007, 08:44 PM
Cutler is going to make his mistakes, but I believe that in the long run he's gonna really be a very solid, talented player. Let's pick this conversation up about 8 weeks from now and see where he stands then as well as the rest of the team.
Good to see you here! :wave:

-----

broncosinindy
09-16-2007, 08:48 PM
I aggree with you top. Cutler has ice in his veins. he definelty is a cool customer. hes gonna make rookie mistakes. and while he is learning how to play this game. if we barely squek it out i am fine with it. This kid is gonna be good.

Oh by the way anyone watching the san diego game.

omac
09-16-2007, 10:16 PM
wow.

We won, you lost, we won, you lost :first: Hehehe, just kidding man. :lol:

I wouldn't call your passing game inept.

Last week, you passed for 283 yards and rushed for 92; now, you passed for 53 yards, but rushed for 200.

I'd say it was just a match-up thing; you were able to pass better against Detroit, and you were able to run much better against Denver. McCown's injured finger might have even played a factor in that. Your team, though, is much improved compared to last season, and you've lost 2 games that were definitely within reach. You have to admit Kiffin is doing a real good job, and the Raiders are playing much better than last season. :cheers:

Watchthemiddle
09-16-2007, 10:44 PM
Cutler did play well again. The only knock I STILL have on him is fumbled snaps. Whether they are from under center, or shotgun, they are still happening.

Don't tell me the one today was Nalens fault. Cutler was a little non-chalant and it hit him in both hands and fumbled.

This is not pop warner..its the NFL.

dogfish
09-16-2007, 10:49 PM
*finishes reading post, puts away flamethrower*

Requiem / The Dagda
09-16-2007, 10:51 PM
Cutler has a lot to improve upon, but he has that "it" factor you just cannot teach. It's a team game, and today the whole team perservered (with a little luck again) but I thought Jay showed a lot of poise in the drive to tie the game up. That's what you look for, poise in a quarterback. Sure, he made some mistakes - but he didn't dwell on them and get rattled. (Much like Jackson, the Vikings 2nd year QB did today, continually making them, and visually looking frustrated on the sidelines and on the field.) Jay is going to be a real good one.

Krugan
09-16-2007, 11:20 PM
What dream said!

Rivers looked extremely flustered tonight agains the Pats as well.

*Atwater*
09-17-2007, 12:57 AM
*finishes reading post, puts away flamethrower*

Few its a good thing you read the whole post because I don't fill like being burnt to a crisp today. :laugh:
:D

frenchfan
09-17-2007, 01:36 AM
Well...

I'm really impressed by Jay...
Can an expert tell me how many young QB in NFL history have won 2 games in row with comebacks like he did?

Sure, he makes mistakes...
First, he doesn't have a lot of experience and this will be fixed...
Last, it's part of his game... Look at John or Brett... They were gambler too... They made some mistakes, but they made more plays by playing like that...

Too bad though Kubiak is gone... I think he would has been a great mentor for Jay... But I think Shanny will teach him many things anyway...

Jay had 2 games with more than 250 passing yards... Not too bad... he just has to improve about snaps and Int and go on working hard...

BTW, I'm more concerned by our D against run than by Cutler ;)

BroncoWave
09-17-2007, 06:32 AM
Cutler did play well again. The only knock I STILL have on him is fumbled snaps. Whether they are from under center, or shotgun, they are still happening.

Don't tell me the one today was Nalens fault. Cutler was a little non-chalant and it hit him in both hands and fumbled.

He was probably shocked that Nalen actually snapped one straight.

Dean
09-17-2007, 06:33 AM
The run defense is terrible. Unless it is fixed soon this is going to be a long season.

TXBRONC
09-17-2007, 06:37 AM

I don't want to knock Nalen around but both of those fumbled snaps from the last two games were not good snaps.

topscribe
09-17-2007, 05:43 PM
The run defense is terrible. Unless it is fixed soon this is going to be a long season.
I think it will improve, Dean. We have an awful lot of inexperience right now,
with Gordon, Burton, and Thomas at DT. In addition, they are trying both to
gain experience and to jell at the same time.

Moreover, while Williams is improving dramatically at his new position, he isn't
there yet. I still believe we'll see it stiffen considerably about the fifth or sixth
game into the season, or so.

-----

Dean
09-17-2007, 09:17 PM
The scheme of keeping your D-ends out in a very wide 9 technique creates a natural hole off tackle. It can be closed by the tackle getting penetration, stunting a LB or safety, bringing a safety up in run support, or tightening the D-end's alignment on running downs. We haven't seemed interested in choosing one or more of those options and I personally feel Jay is going to suffer because of it.

We haven't even seen the better running backs, yet.

I don't see Jay as the second coming of Jake though they appear to share the same willingness to try to make the big play. Unless the defense can take more pressure off of Jay those turnovers will be fatal. No one not even Elway can come back in the closing seconds every week.

By allowing 200 yards rushing you shift the pressure to the QB and give him less offensive time with the ball in which to make plays. It will put him in a predictable passing mode. An inexperienced QB with a tendency to gamble is forced into having to make the big play to win the game. I can't see this as anything positive for Cutler's development and there are similarities to games that we have all witnessed in the past five years. :ahhhhh:

topscribe
09-18-2007, 10:18 AM
The scheme of keeping your D-ends out in a very wide 9 technique creates a natural hole off tackle. It can be closed by the tackle getting penetration, stunting a LB or safety, bringing a safety up in run support, or tightening the D-end's alignment on running downs. We haven't seemed interested in choosing one or more of those options and I personally feel Jay is going to suffer because of it.

We haven't even seen the better running backs, yet.

I don't see Jay as the second coming of Jake though they appear to share the same willingness to try to make the big play. Unless the defense can take more pressure off of Jay those turnovers will be fatal. No one not even Elway can come back in the closing seconds every week.

By allowing 200 yards rushing you shift the pressure to the QB and give him less offensive time with the ball in which to make plays. It will put him in a predictable passing mode. An inexperienced QB with a tendency to gamble is forced into having to make the big play to win the game. I can't see this as anything positive for Cutler's development and there are similarities to games that we have all witnessed in the past five years. :ahhhhh:
In Bates' scheme, that hole is generally the linebacker's responsibility, isn't
it? Is it just me, or have most of the big gainers been off the left (offensive)
side? That is primarily Gold's area, isn't it? Is Gold getting consistently blocked?

I did not bother to observe any of the because I was very tired during that
time, and I just looked at the game. But I did notice what seemed the
increased involvement of Lynch in the latter stages.

But it seems we have a combination of factors that could contribute toward
the problems with the run: (1) inexperience at DT, with Adams being the
only real seasoned vet, (2) light weight DEs, with Rice, Dumervil, and Moss
being good pass rushers but marginal defenders against the run (I think
they miss Ekuban big time), and (3) Gold, who is good chasing a play ran
away from him (when he remembers to wrap up) but is undersized for
dealing with those right at him.

I believe much of this will be improved as the DTs become more experienced
and begin to jell, and maybe Crowder, who is better at run support than the
other DEs (except Engelberger, of course), will make a difference as he
returns to the lineup . . . but it's going to be probably a couple weeks
before gets back into the swing of things, and he's also a rookie, anyway.

With Ekuban out of the lineup and a so-so Gold in there, I don't believe
we'll be a top 10 team in the run . . . we'll improve, but we wont be a
juggernaut in that area, IMO.

Next year, I believe we need to hope Ekuban recovers and get another
stout DE, and find a LB at WILL who is better at run support. This year,
we just need to hope that our running game matches theirs and that Cutler
continues to play beyond his de facto rookie status.

IMHO.

(I just noticed how off-topic this is. Sorry.)

-----

TXBRONC
09-18-2007, 10:21 AM
In Bates' scheme, that hole is generally the linebacker's responsibility, isn't
it? Is it just me, or have most of the big gainers been off the left (offensive)
side? That is primarily Gold's area, isn't it? Is Gold getting consistently blocked?

I did not bother to observe any of the because I was very tired during that
time, and I just looked at the game. But I did notice what seemed the
increased involvement of Lynch in the latter stages.

But it seems we have a combination of factors that could contribute toward
the problems with the run: (1) inexperience at DT, with Adams being the
only real seasoned vet, (2) light weight DEs, with Rice, Dumervil, and Moss
being good pass rushers but marginal defenders against the run (I think
they miss Ekuban big time), and (3) Gold, who is good chasing a play ran
away from him (when he remembers to wrap up) but is undersized for
dealing with those right at him.

I believe much of this will be improved as the DTs become more experienced
and begin to jell, and maybe Crowder, who is better at run support than the
other DEs (except Engelberger, of course), will make a difference as he
returns to the lineup . . . but it's going to be probably a couple weeks
before gets back into the swing of things, and he's also a rookie, anyway.

With Ekuban out of the lineup and a so-so Gold in there, I don't believe
we'll be a top 10 team in the run . . . we'll improve, but we wont be a
juggernaut in that area, IMO.

Next year, I believe we need to hope Ekuban recovers and get another
stout DE, and find a LB at WILL who is better at run support. This year,
we just need to hope that our running game matches theirs and that Cutler
continues to play beyond his de facto rookie status.

IMHO.

-----

You know we might have to replace Adams as well not because poor play because he's ready to hang them up.

topscribe
09-18-2007, 11:11 AM
You know we might have to replace Adams as well not because poor play because he's ready to hang them up.
Well, Adams thinks he wants to play for another couple years, and he looked
pretty spry out there the last couple games.

But even at that, it wouldn't hurt to bolster the group. Thomas has a terrific
upside, but outside him and Adams, I question the group. Maybe with
experience, they can begin to assuage my worries. I hope so . . .

-----

TXBRONC
09-18-2007, 11:16 AM

-----

I think Amon Gordon is looking ok, but in my opinion he looks like guy who playing behind the likes of Thomas.

Of course Bates might have to move Thomas to safety after that interception on Sunday. :D

anton...
09-18-2007, 11:18 AM
i wish we could bring jake back...

his hair alone is better than jay...
________
Hand blown glass (http://glassgallery.tumblr.com)

topscribe
09-18-2007, 12:44 PM
I think Amon Gordon is looking ok, but in my opinion he looks like guy who playing behind the likes of Thomas.

Of course Bates might have to move Thomas to safety after that interception on Sunday. :D
Thomas at safety? :shocked:

If I were the RB on the opposing team, I would look out there and see him,
and retire on the spot. :bolt:

-----

Watchthemiddle
09-18-2007, 01:19 PM

:laugh::laugh:

Although Thomas might have the most upside on the D line and is very athletic, I can't see that happening. How sick would it be though if he had Lynch's wheels to go along with his 300+ lb frame? Bring him up on the outside in blitz situations. :eek:

TXBRONC
09-18-2007, 09:06 PM
Thomas at safety? :shocked:

If I were the RB on the opposing team, I would look out there and see him,
and retire on the spot. :bolt:

-----

You know he had the team's second interception of the day on Sunday and he had to jump up to get the pass.

topscribe
09-18-2007, 09:08 PM
You know he had the team's second interception of the day on Sunday and he had to jump up to get the pass.
Ummm . . . I think that is where the joke started. :confused:

-----

Lonestar
09-18-2007, 09:09 PM
:focus: :laugh:

broncosinindy
09-18-2007, 09:31 PM
Kid or not. If he keeps making boneheaded plays, He very well could end up with that wrap. i wish we had a notable QB coach that could bring him along. Gary Kubiak I think he was the main reason for what i am gonna say was jakes noticable improvement. With out Gary Kubiak Jake plummer struggled mightily.

I dont know how paramount dinger is in cutlers developement. but there is issues in his game. with all his potential i would hate to see him develope any bad habits. The man has shown he could be the center to our team the next 10-15 years. we need to invest in his upbringing.

With all that said i am a HUGE cutler fan. i just want the best for him and the team.

BroncoWave
09-18-2007, 09:38 PM
I missed most of Elway's career but didn't he throw SEVERAL boneheaded picks when he was a young player? I'm sure Cutler will be fine. He just needs his time. Now if he becomes a 10 year vet like Plummer and is still making these mistakes, we can resume this conversation.

topscribe
09-18-2007, 09:42 PM
Kid or not. If he keeps making boneheaded plays, He very well could end up with that wrap. i wish we had a notable QB coach that could bring him along. Gary Kubiak I think he was the main reason for what i am gonna say was jakes noticable improvement. With out Gary Kubiak Jake plummer struggled mightily.

I dont know how paramount dinger is in cutlers developement. but there is issues in his game. with all his potential i would hate to see him develope any bad habits. The man has shown he could be the center to our team the next 10-15 years. we need to invest in his upbringing.

With all that said i am a HUGE cutler fan. i just want the best for him and the team.
He's a rookie (in effect). He is going to make some "bone-headed" plays,
and I am sure Shanny already realizes that. But he is already out-producing
his two contemporaries, who have a season under their belts, and so far 26
other QBs besides them. He is going to be fine . . . no, more than fne. :smile:

-----

TXBRONC
09-18-2007, 09:45 PM
I missed most of Elway's career but didn't he throw SEVERAL boneheaded picks when he was a young player? I'm sure Cutler will be fine. He just needs his time. Now if he becomes a 10 year vet like Plummer and is still making these mistakes, we can resume this conversation.

I think by John's 13th year in the League he had 126 tds and 126 ints. John never shied away from throwing the ball into a tight window.

broncosinindy
09-18-2007, 09:47 PM

-----

There is little doubt in my mind we need to add to our interior Defensive line. The question is ask is do we do it outside of the second round in this upcoming draft or do we address it as a First day need?

The type of tackle we would be looking for is a guy with great strength that can play two gap. That being said Frank Okam is a guy in the first round that we could add But question is how well he will transfer from College to the pros. He has everything you look for in the guy. but rumors are around that he could very well have Gerrard Warren/Stephen Harris syndrome, in that he does not play the gap control line. and also there is questions about his motor.

Look back at last years draft Hartrell made the final roster in green bay. But he is not even on the roster for game day. And then we have the likes of Amobi Okoye who is starting in Houston, and has 2 sacks so far this season. So if we do go DT next year and take a shot on a guy like Okam will he play his first year that much. They say Tackle is one of the hardest positions in the NFL.

Or do you take a later day pick say in the second or third. There are the likes of

Red Bryant Texas A&M 6-5 324 who is a NT type

BJ Raji Boston College 6-1 340 who is also a NT but was said to be academically Ineligible and probably wont come out this next year.

Dre Moore DT Maryland is a little light for the system think he is 305 but is said to play with great strength

Terrance Taylor DT Michigan Another guy but how dominant is he?

Marcus Harrison DT Arkansas i think he was suspended by his team.(i cant remember the hole deal)
Ron Dixon from Miami and Jason Shirley DT Fresno St.

I say we address DT later in the draft and go after a guy that could be play from the get go and give us the chance to improve This next upcoming year.

I know its crazy but i would like to see us go after Rey Maualuga ILB USC in the first. Move DJ back to will give Gold his walking papers and draft Dizon from colorado to play strong side he is a bit small but he is defiently a guy who finds the ball carrier. and if he does not start would be lights out on special teams. and go after a DT in the second or one the thrid if we can get a pick there or take one in the fourth

TXBRONC
09-18-2007, 09:55 PM
:laugh::laugh:

Although Thomas might have the most upside on the D line and is very athletic, I can't see that happening. How sick would it be though if he had Lynch's wheels to go along with his 300+ lb frame? Bring him up on the outside in blitz situations. :eek:

I'm sure quarterbacks would go bug eyed if that were the case. :laugh:

broncosinindy
09-18-2007, 10:04 PM
He's a rookie (in effect). He is going to make some "bone-headed" plays,
and I am sure Shanny already realizes that. But he is already out-producing
his two contemporaries, who have a season under their belts, and so far 26
other QBs besides them. He is going to be fine . . . no, more than fne. :smile:

-----

I am aware that he is essentially a rookie. and will make boneheaded plays. really though his play last week was worse then his frist week. and whats gonna happen when we come up on Pitts or GB or one of the other great defenses we play. ( we play alot of them)

I am not knocking him at all but we must protect our investmant.