PDA

View Full Version : Walton/Beadles Burnout?

horsepig
08-25-2010, 09:50 PM
These two rooks are getting their butt's worked off!

When will they hit the "wall"?

honz
08-25-2010, 09:51 PM
I hit a wall once and broke my pinkie.

gobroncsnv
08-25-2010, 10:23 PM
Hopefully we'll be able to rotate them somewhat... semi-unusual for oline, but we have some fairly versatile guys that might accommodate a few breathers. But as I've said before, they are gonna need to grow up fast.

Dzone
08-25-2010, 10:27 PM
I could be wrong here, but didnt new england win a super bowl with one or two rookies on its OL?

gobroncsnv
08-25-2010, 10:28 PM
yeah, in a pretty much pass oriented offense, to boot.

Dzone
08-25-2010, 10:43 PM
Walton held his own in college against Suh...that is enough for me to believe he got game

honz
08-25-2010, 10:49 PM
Ryan Harris got pancaked by Suh.

topscribe
08-25-2010, 10:56 PM
Ryan Harris got pancaked by Suh.

It happened once. It will be interesting to see if it ever happens again.

I'm betting no . . .

-----

Ravage!!!
08-25-2010, 11:45 PM
I could be wrong here, but didnt new england win a super bowl with one or two rookies on its OL?

I know Indy won their SB with a rookie LT... and an LT that since then has looked poorly enough to be replaced or moved.

I don't see how our OL will be overworked.

dogfish
08-26-2010, 12:47 AM
i think it's a legitimate concern, but what else are we going to do? IMO, if they're going to start, they absolutely need to get as many reps as possible before then. . . i KNOW i don't want hochstein playing unless there's no other choice, and right now it looks like walton and beadles both starting is pretty much the other option. . .

i'll take my chances with the high-upside rookies-- i already know i don't much care for hochstein's game. . . if they're our best long term options-- and they are-- then it only makes sense for them to take their lumps now, rather than next year when the potential franchise QB is probably going to be starting behind them. . .

not to make orton the sacrificial lamb or anything, but at least he has years of NFL starting experience to help diagnose where the pressure's going to be coming from. . . at some point beadles is going to have to know whether he's supposed to be doubling the DE, protecting clady's inside shoulder so he can set outside against the speed move, or picking up the linebacker blitz in the A-gap. . . i know the center calls the protections, but it's not like no one has ever forgotten after the audible. . . zane's gonna get it wrong some time (and walton, in a comparable situation), and i'd rather have a QB back there who sees it coming than one who's never even seen that blitz live before. . .

i'm certainly not giving up on this season, but at the same time, we're inevitably going to be depending on a lot of these young guys in the long run. . . doesn't mean that you push any of them on the field ahead of competent vets (and the quarterback situation is obviously a different issue given the nature of that specific position), but when we got rid of wiegman and hamilton without any significant replacements in FA, it pretty much meant we were gonna be starting at least one rookie OL. . .

i was cool with it then, and am now. . . it may not happen instantly, but rookie OLs probably play at a high level with greater frequency than any other position besides RB. . . you can't expect them to be like clady (dude's a freak!), but i don't think it's too much to expect them to be playing pretty well by midseason-- which is more than i'd expect for most of the competition, although i do like the olsens. . .

i'd say we're pretty much committed to beadles and walton at this point-- or at least one of them, anyway. . . may as well break 'em both in at once and have done with, so we're moving towards higher goals next year instead of running in place. . .

that said, i kinda feel like anything short of getting them all the reps they can in preseason is pretty much selling this year short, and i don't want to do that either. . . i'm glad mcD's been playing them as much as he has. . . as i said earlier, i do think the concern about "hitting the wall" has some merit, but sometimes you just have let things play out how they will. . . not everything can be managed-- it's more of a comparative risk assessment. . .

i won't say the way we're doing it has less risks than other approaches, but i do think it's the best choice of the bunch. . . we've lost a number of talented vets-- we need some impact from our first and second year players if we want to be competitive. . . rushing guys back from injury is an entirely different story, but with the healthy guys we don't have time to nurse them along too slowly. . . they're talented athletes who were highly-drafted and well paid-- time to go mash somebody's face in the dirt and earn that money!

nevcraw
08-26-2010, 08:49 AM
Tebow will Mr. Miyagi the wall out of them..

BroncoNut
08-26-2010, 08:58 AM
Hopefully we'll be able to rotate them somewhat... semi-unusual for oline, but we have some fairly versatile guys that might accommodate a few breathers. But as I've said before, they are gonna need to grow up fast.

I was wondering why everyone was so high on Polumbus being cut. For this reason right there.

rcsodak
08-26-2010, 09:06 AM
Walton held his own in college against Suh...that is enough for me to believe he got game
Suh is a DT. Not too many C's take them on, 1 on 1.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

UnderArmour
08-26-2010, 09:23 AM

Rotations on the offensive line are a no-no. Those simply do not happen. O-Lines are very cohesive units which rely on each other a lot in run blocking and pass protection. Inserting a new face can cause trouble as there is lots of trust involved. You almost never see O-Line rotations because it causes chemistry issues. Part of being an O-Lineman, hell, even being an offensive player, is to have this chemistry. Usually, offenses need 11 people working together while in a defense it only takes 1 player to stop a play. So rotations outside of receivers and RBs are a bad thing.

With that said, Walton and Beadles should improve as the season goes on, as is often the case with offensive linemen who are inserted early as opposed to the OP's suggestion of wearing down.

GEM
08-26-2010, 09:30 AM
I was wondering why everyone was so high on Polumbus being cut. For this reason right there.

Because Polumbus is a human revolving door. He looks at a Dlineman and asks would you like through sir....and the guy runs him over.

BroncoNut
08-26-2010, 09:38 AM
Because Polumbus is a human revolving door. He looks at a Dlineman and asks would you like through sir....and the guy runs him over.

No need to get smart. I understand that. But he's a body, a gap stop. Until something better comes along, (and I'm sure you can relate to that ):rolleyes:

Rex
08-26-2010, 09:54 AM
No need to get smart. I understand that. But he's a body, a gap stop. Until something better comes along, (and I'm sure you can relate to that ):rolleyes:

Seriously. Plastic bag. Zip ties. Sleeping pills.

BroncoNut
08-26-2010, 09:55 AM
Seriously. Plastic bag. Zip ties. Sleeping pills.

quit stalking me you freak

Rex
08-26-2010, 09:56 AM
quit stalking me you freak

Post reported.

BroncoNut
08-26-2010, 10:03 AM
What's up with Eric Olsen, when will we see him play? anyone know?

broncobryce
08-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Just getting them used to an 18 game season

GEM
08-26-2010, 10:59 AM

Nut, you shut your dirty mouth! He didn't stop any gaps. That's the freaking problem....Mr. know it all.

:lol:

LTC Pain
08-26-2010, 11:37 AM
What a pendelum of extremes on this board. Before the draft it was "the key is fixing the O-line". The Broncos draft a couple of trench beasts in Beadles/Walton to do just that and now it's "oh, let's don't burn them out". Like Beadles/Walton are fragile little fuzzy bunnies made of paper thin glass or something. I say keep'em in the lineup for all four quarters, all four pre-season games and all 16 regular season games. Train like you fight!

TXBRONC
08-26-2010, 12:14 PM
Tebow will Mr. Miyagi the wall out of them..

Wax on/wax off?

BeefStew25
08-26-2010, 12:17 PM
I joined because of this thread. Been lurking for a year.

I played OL in high school and we never got tired.

BroncoNut
08-26-2010, 12:20 PM

exactly. it's like there's nothing to the postion as long as your a fat slob. All you have to do is show up for game day and have a teammate make sure you're properly attired and on the field when need be

just kidding BBD

topscribe
08-26-2010, 12:20 PM

Welcome to the board! :welcome:

OL is the one position where the starter can play the entire game.

(Well . . . kickers & punters. :D )

-----

BroncoWave
08-26-2010, 12:21 PM
What a pendelum of extremes on this board. Before the draft it was "the key is fixing the O-line". The Broncos draft a couple of trench beasts in Beadles/Walton to do just that and now it's "oh, let's don't burn them out". Like Beadles/Walton are fragile little fuzzy bunnies made of paper thin glass or something. I say keep'em in the lineup for all four quarters, all four pre-season games and all 16 regular season games. Train like you fight!

I disagree with this. Mark Schlereth has been adamant about not expanding to 18 games because 16 games as it is is hell on a lineman's body and 18 games would make it even worse. I'd say he knows a thing or 2 about playing on the o-line and I wouldn't call him a fragile little bunny.

TXBRONC
08-26-2010, 12:27 PM
What's up with Eric Olsen, when will we see him play? anyone know?

I'm pretty sure he's been getting playing time.

BroncoNut
08-26-2010, 12:29 PM
I wonder how he's doin. there seems to be some hype on him. I will get the game this w/e

slim
08-26-2010, 12:30 PM
I hit a wall once and broke my pinkie.

A real man doesn't lead with his pinkie :listen:

Lonestar
08-26-2010, 12:34 PM
DO not know of ONE rookie that has not hit the wall in about game 13 -14. playing every down in that many games MAY be a problem.

WARHORSE
08-26-2010, 12:59 PM
The rookies will be fine imo.

Besides, if one or both of them burns out, we just play Tim Tebow instead of Orton.

Tim Tebow doesnt need an offensive line.

Three gun TT salute comin up.

:salute::salute::salute:

honz
08-26-2010, 01:56 PM
I wonder how he's doin. there seems to be some hype on him. I will get the game this w/e

I can tell you this much...he is one ugly SOB.

honz
08-26-2010, 01:57 PM
A real man doesn't lead with his pinkie :listen:
A real man doesn't think clearly when he is drunk and angry enough to hit a wall!

LTC Pain
08-26-2010, 01:58 PM
I disagree with this. Mark Schlereth has been adamant about not expanding to 18 games because 16 games as it is is hell on a lineman's body and 18 games would make it even worse. I'd say he knows a thing or 2 about playing on the o-line and I wouldn't call him a fragile little bunny.

BTB,

I was being sarcastic about O-lineman being soft and my point that you missed is the exact opposite. Thus why I said let Beadles/Walton play all the games because they can hang. Will insert sarcasm icon next time so you aren't diving for the Rolaids. :D

BroncoNut
08-26-2010, 02:00 PM
I can tell you this much...he is one ugly SOB.

Eric Olsen? He looked kinda mean to me. I wasn't thinking ugly

BroncoWave
08-26-2010, 03:42 PM
BTB,

I was being sarcastic about O-lineman being soft and my point that you missed is the exact opposite. Thus why I said let Beadles/Walton play all the games because they can hang. Will insert sarcasm icon next time so you aren't diving for the Rolaids. :D

I got your sarcasm, I was just noting the wear and tear that playing 20 full games would take on those 2 players and that I disagree that that may be the best thing for them.

Lonestar
08-27-2010, 11:42 AM
But they become seasoned vets in a heart beat.

And hit the rookie wall sooner.

They are young we will see what they are made of.