PDA

View Full Version : No stress fracture for Broncos' Thomas, but he's doubtful for season-opener

Denver Native (Carol)
08-25-2010, 04:42 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_15891186

The Broncos have been on the receiving end of plenty of bad news on the injury front in this training camp.

And when rookie wide receiver Demaryius Thomas left Tuesday's practice with more pain in his left foot, there was at least some concern he had suffered a stress fracture that could potentially have kept him on the sideline for three to four months.

However, initial tests, including X-rays and a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) exam, indicate Thomas did not suffer a stress fracture, but he is still in doubt to play in the Broncos' regular-season opener Sept. 12 in Jacksonville

Thomas, who fractured the foot in a pre-draft workout in February, was evaluated to attempt to locate the source of the discomfort he felt in his surgically-repaired foot when he returned to practice Tuesday.

Thomas had been out 17 days since the team's Aug. 7 practice in Invesco Field at Mile High. During that stadium practice he had an issue with scar tissue around the area of his original fracture, a common aftereffect of the injury and the usual surgery to repair it.

His latest bout could involve some additional scar tissue.

He had returned to the field Tuesday to take part in the Broncos afternoon practice and suffered his latest setback at some point after the open viewing period. He was not on the field when the Broncos practiced on Wednesday and Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels was not available to comment on Thomas' absence.

At 6-foot-3, 229 pounds, the rookie receiver had just begun to make impact plays in practice before he was injured in the stadium practice. The Broncos made him their first pick of the 2010 draft this past April, selecting him 22nd overall.

With wide receiver Brandon Stokley currently recovering from a groin injury that is expected to keep him out for the remainder of the preseason and the team's release of Patrick Carter Tuesday morning, the Broncos are thin at the position as they approach their last two preseason games.

Rosters league-wide must be to 75 players by Aug. 31 and rosters go to 53 players on Sept. 4

Nomad
08-25-2010, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the good news DN!!

rationalfan
08-25-2010, 04:50 PM
now where will the melodrama be directed?

Grover
08-25-2010, 04:52 PM
That's good news about Thomas. Maybe he could be inactive for an extended period while he heals up. They had Brandon Lloyd inactive until the 14th game last year IIRC.

I would expect the game plan against Pittsburg to be a lot of two TE sets, and a lot of running. Both because I think we need to establish some sort of running game going into the season and we have a new TE to test out in a game situation.

dogfish
08-25-2010, 04:58 PM
now where will the melodrama be directed?

your way, since you asked. . . ;)

broncobryce
08-25-2010, 05:09 PM
We need this cat healthy. He will get there, and when he's ready he will be a force. Until then our WR looks good as it is.

honz
08-25-2010, 06:34 PM
We need him back on the field ASAP even if it means risking further injury.

topscribe
08-25-2010, 06:38 PM
Too fast for me, Carol. I posted it in the other thread, only to find it already here. :laugh:

Just one comment on Legwold's next to last sentence: I don't believe the
Broncos are all that thin at WR, missing two receivers they probably are going to
cut, anyway . . .

-----

HORSEPOWER 56
08-25-2010, 06:41 PM
Fudge. Of all the rookies we drafted this year, I have Thomas pegged as one of our best contributors pending how Walton and Beadles play. He doesn't have to have a great knowledge of the playbook and routes and all that because he's a dominant physical specimen who can muscle off the jam and get deep in a hurry. He can out jump and outfight most DBs for the ball. He really needs to get healthy. I'm dying to see him dominate in live action.

Italianmobstr7
08-25-2010, 07:14 PM
Just glad it's not a stress fracture. Still won't believe he's doubtful for week 1 until I hear it from McDaniels...

DenBronx
08-26-2010, 02:48 AM
Not a stress fracture but this is what has been bothering him. Very minor and shouldn't be singled out as a peg legged Javon Walker type of guy that's always injury proned.

http://www.rototimes.com/

Demaryius Thomas, WR - Denver Broncos
August 25 @ 5:11pm CT

Deymarius Thomas could have loose screw in foot - Updating earlier items, Vic Lombardi of CBS 4 Denver reports that the Broncos were worried a screw had come loose in Demaryius Thomas's foot.

Our View:
Thomas doesn't have a stress fracture, which was the big concern. Still, a loose screw could cause another surgery for the big, but injury-prone, receiver. There's no confirmed timetable for a return, and Thomas's fantasy prospects are really falling off at this point. Consider him a deep-league flier at best.

Tned
08-26-2010, 07:14 AM
Too fast for me, Carol. I posted it in the other thread, only to find it already here. :laugh:

Broncos are all that thin at WR, missing two receivers they probably are going to
cut, anyway . . .

-----

He very well may have just been referring to being thin for the last two games, where especially in the last one, you don't want your starters out there much, if at all.

slim
08-26-2010, 07:45 AM
We are pleased to hear this.

broncofaninfla
08-26-2010, 07:58 AM
Hard for me to get too excited about this. He has been hurt since before the draft and is still hurt now, hell he's been hurt for months. Hard to believe that's going to change just weeks from now. The guy seems to get hurt any time he practices.

rcsodak
08-26-2010, 11:45 AM

cut, anyway . . .

-----
I agree with you on the 'thin' remark. Whats he want....10?
but I'm not sure on yourlast line. Especially the way McD seems to go out of his way at giving early releases so the player has a chance elsewher, I see Stokes on the roster....at least to start the season.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

rcsodak
08-26-2010, 11:49 AM
Hard for me to get too excited about this. He has been hurt since before the draft and is still hurt now, hell he's been hurt for months. Hard to believe that's going to change just weeks from now. The guy seems to get hurt any time he practices.
Yea......you're right.

:rolleyes:
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Lonestar
08-26-2010, 11:58 AM
Not a stress fracture but this is what has been bothering him. Very minor and shouldn't be singled out as a peg legged Javon Walker type of guy that's always injury proned.

http://www.rototimes.com/

Demaryius Thomas, WR - Denver Broncos
August 25 @ 5:11pm CT

Deymarius Thomas could have loose screw in foot - Updating earlier items, Vic Lombardi of CBS 4 Denver reports that the Broncos were worried a screw had come loose in Demaryius Thomas's foot.

Our View:
Thomas doesn't have a stress fracture, which was the big concern. Still, a loose screw could cause another surgery for the big, but injury-prone, receiver. There's no confirmed timetable for a return, and Thomas's fantasy prospects are really falling off at this point. Consider him a deep-league flier at best.

would think this would show up in a MRI and Xray.

BORDERLINE
08-26-2010, 12:05 PM

I don't get what's with him ...but i'm in your corner....he has not practiced since early august...no training camp ,no pre-season games, this is gonna happen all year with this kid...i hope i'm wrong tough

BORDERLINE
08-26-2010, 12:09 PM

right!!!! and if he does need surgery to fix it do it now...don't wait till a week before the first game...this is some sidney rice sh*t right here...

rcsodak
08-26-2010, 02:27 PM

What would, Jr?

Him having a "screw loose"???? :confused:

Lonestar
08-26-2010, 02:29 PM
What would, Jr?

Him having a "screw loose"???? :confused:

as I understood it they used a Screw to re-attach the bones together IF it has become loos in there it could be an aggravating problem and the reason he has pain.

rcsodak
08-26-2010, 02:31 PM
right!!!! and if he does need surgery to fix it do it now...don't wait till a week before the first game...this is some sidney rice sh*t right here...

Most players DON'T want surgery. In fact, MOST dr's/coaches DON'T want the player to elect for surgery....IF the ailment can heal on it's own. And this is from ex-players/ex-FO.

But, in the same token, not all diagnoses are infallible.

Show me a Dr. with a 100% grade, and it'll be the 1st!

We're all human....

...yes...even Dr's. ;)

PAINTERDAVE
08-29-2010, 12:39 PM
We need him back on the field ASAP even if it means risking further injury.

Yeah.
And let's start Tebow in Wild Horse formation in week 1, too. Ribs, shmibs.
And let's put Clady back in the line up, no matter what. If he can play basketball in the off seson...
he can damn well use that leg in the first week of the NFL.

If these guys could just help us win one game...
and then their injuries are agravated and they are out for the season.... who cares?

If it could help us win just that one game...

(This aint the 1967 Broncos any more, pal)

PAINTERDAVE
08-29-2010, 12:42 PM
So if Thomas can't go... I got one word for that same opening.

DECKER

broncobryce
08-29-2010, 01:14 PM
Yeah.
And let's put Clady back in the line up, no matter what. If he can play basketball in the off seson...

and then their injuries are agravated and they are out for the season.... who cares?

It's Honz. I don't think I've heard him say one thing that's serious. He got you on that one.

nevcraw
08-29-2010, 02:00 PM
Yeah.

great use of sarcasm!! although, too bad you can't recognize it..

topscribe
08-29-2010, 02:04 PM
Yeah.

It's Honz. I don't think I've heard him say one thing that's serious. He got you on that one.

Yeah, Painter. Someone should have forwarded that caveat to you.

Honz is . . . well, Honz. :confused: :rolleyes: :doh: :eek: :pound:

If you get my drift.

*Dogfish on steroids, perhaps?*

-----

Timmy!
08-29-2010, 02:28 PM
Yeah.

Honz is the best fisherman I know. :heh:

PAINTERDAVE
08-29-2010, 02:37 PM
Just call me a big ol' suckerfish, then.

Suckerfish Dave

topscribe
08-29-2010, 02:38 PM
Just call me a big ol' suckerfish, then.

Suckerfish Dave

No, PainterDave is the one we know and love.

Don't ever change . . . http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thdrink.gif

-----