PDA

View Full Version : Royal's role at slot with Broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
08-25-2010, 09:51 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15884882

Eddie Royal believes he could be the right man for the job, and that the job could be the right one for the man. If it all adds up, it could equal something more than 37.

"Things are different this year," Royal said. "I'm learning a new position, going to play a new position. I'm learning a lot of little things and some big things. But I think it should be able to all pay off during the season."

History can be a heavy burden. When Royal set a Broncos record for rookies with 91 receptions in 2008 — the second-highest total for a first-year player in NFL history — a truckload of expectations arrived for 2009.

But with Josh McDaniels' first season as Denver's coach came a new playbook and a new cast on offense, including a new quarterback — Kyle Orton. Royal also missed the final two games of the season because of a concussion. He finished 2009 with only 37 receptions, no touchdown catches and more questions than answers about his sophomore slump.

So when McDaniels and his staff sat down to sift through the team's 2-8 collapse down the stretch, one of the offseason tweaks they made was moving Royal from an outside receiver spot to the inside, or "slot" position.

"When we evaluated things, we came to the conclusion that we didn't do near a good enough job of getting (Royal) involved," McDaniels said. "We think he's capable of doing a lot of things in our offense."

The outside receiver spot is usually reserved for a speedy player, able to work inside or outside, long routes or short. The slot position is all about quickness, in mind and body.

"I'm seeing different looks, how different people are going to play me different ways," Royal said. "In the slot, you're only open for a quick second, and if you and the quarterback aren't on the same page, then that window's going to close before you get the ball.

"It's kind of a one-shot deal, and if you hit that you can get big plays. It's tough.
Sometimes you're going against bigger guys, your linebackers. You've got safeties, and that's an adjustment I've had to make."

The results have been mixed through two preseason games. Royal has only two receptions. But one was for a touchdown at Cincinnati when the Broncos got exactly the matchup they wanted, with Royal beating a linebacker to pull in Orton's pass.

"As a quarterback, that's a matchup I'm going to like to see," Orton said.

As the season dragged on a year ago, with Royal struggling to break out, there was plenty of discussion about whether he had lost his confidence. He finished with two receptions or fewer in nine starts. Over his last 23 regular-season games, he's had just one touchdown catch.

Royal is quick to say he was not the shattered player some fans thought he was when he arrived at training camp this year.

"Lose confidence? No, not at all," Royal said. "I don't think any professional can do that. I'm going to do my part, and whenever the ball's thrown to me, I'm going to catch it. That's how I'm going to go about it. You do what's asked of you and make sure you're a reliable target.

"I was trying to do well. It didn't matter to me what people were expecting. I was just trying to do what was expected of me from the coaches and from my team. Those are the guys I wanted to be able to look in the face and say, 'I gave everything I had, and I did everything I could to help you win.' If I do that, I'll be fine."

LTC Pain
08-25-2010, 09:53 AM
Go Eddie go!

arapaho2
08-25-2010, 11:44 AM
i like royal...i hope he tears it up this year

Lonestar
08-25-2010, 11:57 AM
may be some growing pains as a slot guy but IMO that is the best spot for him.

He has always seemed like a slot guy to me quick and not uber fast

horsepig
08-25-2010, 09:17 PM
Maybe not uber fast, but uber quick!