PDA

View Full Version : Ranking the top 5 NFL centers

Lonestar
07-19-2008, 05:25 PM
I saw their 10 best guards and clicked on this just for jollies. What a joke this company is..

Posted: July 19, 2008
War Room scouts

More position rankings: WR | RB | QB | TE | OT| G

Centers play important role in getting the ball to the quarterback on every snap, but they also are "quarterbacks" themselves -- as leaders of the offensive line.

It takes a rare combination of power, intelligence and intangibles to excel at the position. A good one is typically a long-term keeper:

1. Matt Birk, Minnesota Vikings. A perennial Pro Bowler who possesses good size, strength, and athleticism. He is strong enough to absorb bull rushers, athletic enough to pull and reach linebackers, and has the smarts and technical prowess to lead the Vikings' entire line. Birk picks up all the defensive checks and makes all the line calls.

2. Olin Kreutz, Chicago Bears. Another technically sound player who plays with a mean streak. Kreutz is a natural leader who calls the protections and possesses a high football IQ. He is very athletic for a center and shows good quickness with his hands and feet when coming off the snap.

3. Ben Hamilton, Denver Broncos. Hamilton hasn't missed a game since becoming a starter in 2002 and can also play guard. Though tall (6-4) with long arms, he weighs in at just 290 pounds. He is lean, but in true Denver fashion, he is able to move quickly and easily and is a great fit for the zone- blocking scheme employed by Mike Shanahan.

4. Brad Meester, Jacksonville Jaguars. Another athletic center who is at his best on the move. His greatest assets, however, are his leadership skills and football smarts. The Jags struggled mightily without Meester in '07 when he was sidelined because of a knee injury.

5. Andre Gurode, Dallas Cowboys. Gurode relies more on toughness and a physical playing style to dominate his opponents, but he also has enough instincts and intelligence to handle stunts and blitzes.

Maybe next year?

The top breakout candidate to crack the top 5 for '09:

6. Nick Mangold, New York Jets. Mangold is not particularly strong and doesn't have the physical tools some look for, but he is instinctive, tough, and smart, and all he has done is start from the first day of his rookie season, making all the protection calls and leading his unit with solid play. He's already one of the game's top ten centers and should be on this list going into next season.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=436275

claymore
07-19-2008, 05:32 PM
It says he hasnt missed a game...... If your on IR does that count? It happened before the season started...........

Ziggy
07-19-2008, 06:42 PM
Another idiot article. Hamilton is a guard that can also play center, and missed every game last season. I can't believe these people get paid to write this crap.

broncosfanscott
07-19-2008, 07:51 PM
Nalen is our center and is without a doubt #1. Next.

Timmy!
07-19-2008, 08:38 PM
I think I'm going to start a new career. I'll just make up football stuff and publish it.....

weazel
07-19-2008, 10:26 PM
wow

topscribe
07-19-2008, 11:32 PM
Hamilton? :confused:

I think I just lost interest in their Top Whatever . . . :coffee:

-----

slim
07-20-2008, 12:09 AM
This reminds me a discussion I had with my wife last year. I was watching the Rockies v. SD. It was the play-in game and Matt Holiday just scored the winning run (to advance the Rockies to the playoffs).

So, I am jumping around and screaming like a fool...my wife looks up from her book and says "what happened, did they score a touchdown"?

I will be sending her resume to the War Room tomorrow.

Watchthemiddle
07-20-2008, 12:39 AM
This reminds me a discussion I had with my wife last year. I was watching the Rockies v. SD. It was the play-in game and Matt Holiday just scored the winning run (to advance the Rockies to the playoffs).

So, I am jumping around and screaming like a fool...my wife looks up from her book and says "what happened, did they score a touchdown"?

I will be sending her resume to the War Room tomorrow.

That about sums it up.

Last I checked, Nalen was our Center and future HOF'er. Are you sure you clicked on the right category JR?

Lonestar
07-20-2008, 01:59 AM
That about sums it up.

Last I checked, Nalen was our Center and future HOF'er. Are you sure you clicked on the right category JR?

hey the link is right there and the rest of the players are indeed centers..

I just cut and paste and called them clowns..

Obviously someone was not doing their homework and the editor no less about football than my cat "moron"..

Retired_Member_001
07-20-2008, 04:15 PM
Ben Hamilton as a top 5 NFL Center? :eek:

That list is all wrong to be honest. Andre Gurode as a top 5 Center? Please.