PDA

View Full Version : Ayodele is apparently Ayo-gone

Tempus Fugit
08-24-2010, 11:21 AM
The Broncos signed veteran linebacker Akin Ayodele in April. And he started both of the team's preseason games.

But now he's no longer on the team.

Per a league source, the Broncos have released Ayodele, an eight-year pro who previously played for the Jaguars, Cowboys, and Dolphins.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/24/broncos-bid-farewell-to-akin-ayodele/

silkamilkamonico
08-24-2010, 11:24 AM
This guy didn't show anything, but I'm really nervous about the lack of depth at the LB position. Really nervous.

underrated29
08-24-2010, 11:30 AM
yep I was saying how bad he looked in the pre season games. Glad coaches saw that too....maybe they like what they see from mays ( i do not yet) or lil DJ.....or maybe just maybe Tebow has blessed Darrel Reid and healed him with some holy water.

Bosco
08-24-2010, 11:33 AM
That's pretty shocking to me. I figured this guy was a good bet to push and possibly beat out Mario Haggan and with Doom out, I figured Haggan would probably get the nod at OLB with Ayodele starting in the middle.

I wonder if this means the team is confident enough in Jarvis Moss to let him handle the ROLB spot?

Jagsbch
08-24-2010, 11:42 AM
oh well

broncofaninfla
08-24-2010, 11:51 AM
Broncos bid farewell to Akin Ayodele (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/24/broncos-bid-farewell-to-akin-ayodele/)

Posted by Mike Florio on August 24, 2010 12:04 PM ET
The Broncos signed veteran linebacker Akin Ayodele (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1419) in April. And he started both of the team's preseason games.

But now he's no longer on the team.

Per a league source, the Broncos have released Ayodele, an eight-year pro who previously played for the Jaguars, Cowboys, and Dolphins. He remains listed as a first-teamer (http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/depth-chart.html) on the Broncos' official depth chart. Presumably, Joe May or Wesley Woodyard (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=5036) will be promoted to the starting spot on the inside, next to D.J. Williams (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2664).

UPDATE: Via a stream of tweets, Josina Anderson of FOX 31 in Denver shares Ayodele's response to the news (http://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson). "They released me this morning," Ayodele said. "They coaches couldn't really give me an explanation. To tell you the truth I was really caught off guard. They said I did everything right, but that they just wanted to go a different route. That is the last thing I would expect because I started the last two preseason games. This is the first time this has happened to me like this, but I have to stay encouraged the same way I have encouraged other guys over the years. They told me they let go of me early out of respect so other teams can have more time to get at me. Right now I'm truly just as shocked as you are."

broncofaninfla
08-24-2010, 11:52 AM
Can't help but think we are about to sign or trade for somebody to replace him. We are crazy thin at ILB.

silkamilkamonico
08-24-2010, 12:01 PM
I'm hoping the staff is going to be paying close attention to the players cut during roster trimdowns. We probably won't get a named player but there has to be some backups/special teamers out there better than our current depth.

underrated29
08-24-2010, 12:03 PM
Can't help but think we are about to sign or trade for somebody to replace him. We are crazy thin at ILB.

I dont know, I would like a trade for a solid MLB, but really who would trade a starter and what would we give up?

Balt- maybe would do a trade, we talked with the jets about their one ILB when we had marshall, but really..........I dont see anyone...

Probably just want to get a look at mays, lil dj, and I would love to see larsen get looks. IMO that is where he should be. But alas I guess we will have to wait until sunday night.

***wait- isnt it

moss
dj
hagan
ayers

?????????????

I think so, i bet that is why, with mays, and wood backing up ILB.

broncofaninfla
08-24-2010, 12:08 PM
How did W. Williams look Saturday night? Woodyard to start, W. Williams to back up maybe?

underrated29
08-24-2010, 12:09 PM
How did W. Williams look Saturday night? Woodyard to start, W. Williams to back up maybe?

Honestly, I did not even notice him. BUt I have not had a chance to review the games since last week. Been too busy to break it down......

Anyone see worrell at all. Have any insight?

Lonestar
08-24-2010, 12:19 PM
From what I remember WW seemed to be a step slow and out of position when I saw him on the field at the time a thought "lost" in the scheme.

The guy that was cut IMO no great loss.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

yardog
08-24-2010, 12:23 PM
Honestly, I did not even notice him. BUt I have not had a chance to review the games since last week. Been too busy to break it down......

Anyone see worrell at all. Have any insight?

When you take a look game see if Mays makes a tackle at all. He makes Webester look like an all pro. :tsk:

underrated29
08-24-2010, 12:33 PM
When you take a look game see if Mays makes a tackle at all. He makes Webester look like an all pro. :tsk:

did notice that. Guy is not very good imo....did you notice- that other new guy we signed..jack williams or something. He is the next webster..His helmet keeps flying off just like nates did.

Grover
08-24-2010, 12:35 PM
Just guessing here, but I believe we'll see Haggan back in the Middle. I like Worrel Williams better than Joe Mays from what I've seen, but both need a LOT of work.

At the OLB spot, we have Moss and Ayers, plus backups Alexander and Kirlew. The way teams have been running on us up the gut, I think the coaches want Haggan to be an immovable force in the middle.

Italianmobstr7
08-24-2010, 12:38 PM

Are we? DJ Williams, Worrell Williams, Wesley Woodyard, Mario Haggan, Joe Mays, Johnny Williams. How many MLB's should we carry?

yardog
08-24-2010, 12:45 PM
did notice that. Guy is not very good imo....did you notice- that other new guy we signed..jack williams or something. He is the next webster..His helmet keeps flying off just like nates did.

I wold cut him just because he reminds me of Webster so much.

silkamilkamonico
08-24-2010, 01:15 PM
What's the deal with Darrell Ried? Is he done, or injured, or not on the team anymore?

DenBronx
08-24-2010, 01:20 PM
Relax guys. Tim Tebow I hear will step in to play MLB. :elefant:

Lonestar
08-24-2010, 01:20 PM
What's the deal with Darrell Ried? Is he done, or injured, or not on the team anymore?

IIRC was injured not for sure but think it was a knee and has not practiced yet this summer might be PUP. they had hoped to have him back for the season.

DenBronx
08-24-2010, 01:24 PM
Doesn't anyone miss Nate Webster and the flying helmet? I hear he is on the market still.

weazel
08-24-2010, 01:26 PM
for a team running the 3-4, we have a pretty thin LB corps...

rcsodak
08-24-2010, 01:34 PM
Is this incessant ridiculing/teasing of Tebow's faith really necessary? For all the warnings/deletions of religious Sigs, isn't this crossing the line of 'keeping it football and ONLY football'?
Tebow has shown his Christianity no more than any other player who's scored a TD or joined in with the group prayer that happens after EVERY game.
This "blessing/healing" crap is more congruent to children.
Like/dislike the man as a player. Leave his religious beliefs out of the football forum.
Or better yet, persecute him/ any other athlete to their face...that'd be the more manly thing to do.
/rant

honz
08-24-2010, 01:46 PM
Is this incessant ridiculing/teasing of Tebow's faith really necessary? For all the warnings/deletions of religious Sigs, isn't this crossing the line of 'keeping it football and ONLY football'?
Tebow has shown his Christianity no more than any other player who's scored a TD or joined in with the group prayer that happens after EVERY game.
Like/dislike the man as a player. Leave his religious beliefs out of the football forum.
Or better yet, persecute him/ any other athlete to their face...that'd be the more manly thing to do.
/rant
My $.02: Learn to take a joke. I think people are making fun of the pedestal he has been put on more than they are actually making fun of Tebow himself.

Italianmobstr7
08-24-2010, 01:48 PM

He is injured. Has a knee injury and is rehabbing to try and get back by Week 1.

broncofaninfla
08-24-2010, 01:53 PM
Are we? DJ Williams, Worrell Williams, Wesley Woodyard, Mario Haggan, Joe Mays, Johnny Williams. How many MLB's should we carry?

DJ is hurt, woodyard is undersized, Haggan is currently slotted at olb although I'd like to see him back inside. Mays and Williams are both unproven. Yeah, I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling now based on that line up and the limited play so far this preseason.

I Eat Staples
08-24-2010, 02:12 PM
Stupid move. I didn't like Ayodele but anyone's better than Moss. Moss will suck all season long and we'll be wishing we kept Ayodele. We have absolutely no depth at LB.

And I'll be completely and utterly shocked if Worrell Williams or Joe Mays ever amount to anything at all...

I Eat Staples
08-24-2010, 02:15 PM
/rant

http://www.neogaf.com/~kurai/umad.jpg

BroncoWave
08-24-2010, 02:33 PM
Stupid move. I didn't like Ayodele but anyone's better than Moss. Moss will suck all season long and we'll be wishing we kept Ayodele. We have absolutely no depth at LB.

And I'll be completely and utterly shocked if Worrell Williams or Joe Mays ever amount to anything at all...

I Eat Staples
08-24-2010, 02:35 PM

I lol'd. :lol:

But after the things McD has done to this team, nothing can make me mad anymore. :D It's like I'm numb to ignorant moves.

Lonestar
08-24-2010, 02:37 PM
for a team running the 3-4, we have a pretty thin LB corps...

we are thin at OLB but have a butt load at MLB.

IF moss comes alive this year then we should be OK

Rick
08-24-2010, 02:51 PM
I think Woodyard will make a great starter at MLB. Undersized? yes, but fast and a player. He gets it done from what I remember him getting the chance rookie year.

hagon is getting the start though, but really think Woodyard would shine.

rcsodak
08-24-2010, 02:54 PM
My $.02: Learn to take a joke. I think people are making fun of the pedestal he has been put on more than they are actually making fun of Tebow himself.

The joke isn't aimed at me. And you miss my point. I'm not addressing the pedestal comments.

I Eat Staples
08-24-2010, 02:55 PM
The joke isn't aimed at me. And you miss my point. I'm not addressing the pedestal comments.

More like you missed his.

Elevation inc
08-24-2010, 03:12 PM
well haggan and Dj inside is money and i like ayers and moss outside......woodyard is alright as a WILB...and mays is servicable as a TED once he gets the system down.....i also like kirlew and jason hunter at OLB depth.....we could be worse....this was my concern about the team far more than the OL and Rb's but i think if haggan stays inside we will be fine, and injury or 2 and we could be done for on the rush defense front though.....

rcsodak
08-24-2010, 04:57 PM
More like you missed his.
:coffee:

underrated29
08-24-2010, 05:15 PM
/rant

RC no one is making fun of him because his faith or anything else. Its all the tebowners that we have been innudated with. I wont name names jagsbach but they all seem to think TT is the high and mighty. The second coming. You should know this. I praise him for his faith and what he has done for people of the world. And I do not think anyone is persecuting him for what he believes and the good things he has done.

So when I make a comment about him using the holy water to heal darrel reid. It is actually, like slim pointed out, directed at the pedestal the tebowites have made him out to be.

honz
08-24-2010, 05:26 PM

I don't believe I missed your point. I stand by my post.

broncofaninfla
08-24-2010, 07:19 PM
I watched the press conferencem Mcd gave good reasoning on the cut. It related to moving Haggan back inside and the special teams value to the remaining guys.

LTC Pain
08-24-2010, 07:28 PM
No great loss.

Foochacho
08-24-2010, 08:49 PM
I miss Nate Webster, whether we won or lost sunday's were always entertaining. Flying helmets and dancing when he made a tackle 10 yards past the line of scrimmage. The man was an entertainer, I will give him that. We need to petition to get him back.

Buff
08-24-2010, 09:03 PM
Ayodele is apparently Ayo-gone

That headline doesn't really work for me.

Tempus Fugit
08-24-2010, 09:06 PM
That headline doesn't really work for me.

Sorry.....

They can't all be gems. :sad:

I Eat Staples
08-24-2010, 09:24 PM
I miss Nate Webster, whether we won or lost sunday's were always entertaining. Flying helmets and dancing when he made a tackle 10 yards past the line of scrimmage. The man was an entertainer, I will give him that. We need to petition to get him back.

Quite possibly the worst suggestion ever.

Dzone
08-24-2010, 09:28 PM
kirlew looks tough

Buff
08-24-2010, 11:11 PM
Sorry.....

They can't all be gems. :sad:

I'm just confused as to whether I'm missing the play on words with "Ayo-gone" or if you've taken the liberty to connect a random prefix with an otherwise unrelated word.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-24-2010, 11:39 PM

I agree... so we can cut him a second time...

PAINTERDAVE
08-25-2010, 12:17 AM
Time for Moss (is it his 4th season now?) to step up.

sneakers
08-25-2010, 12:25 AM
Don't worry, we still have Jarvis Moss

JDL
08-25-2010, 01:38 AM
Average LBs are a dime a dozen and it isn't overly difficult to find LBs like that. The Glenn Cadrez's of the world can always be had, unfortunately we do not seem to have many impact players at LB. Ayers seems hell bent on just trying to Bull Rush everyone. Woodyard might be interesting to an extent, but he is still undersized and has some limitations.

I'd take a look at Seattle's Leroy Hill... plenty of off-field warts right now and is hurt, but may be ready to go late September and could be cut. Not sure what other vets might be cut, hopefully some of better off-field ilk, but this team really only has DJ Williams right now and he is more of a pursuit LB, we really don't have anyone strong at the point of attack. Not sure we can really do anything about that, but maybe we can find someone or groom a young player... there are plenty of UDFA ILBs who are pretty stout at the point of attack - we don't seem to have one, but may be able to swipe one off another team come cuts.

Surprised we cut AA but it isn't of great consequence in the end.

bcbronc
08-25-2010, 01:42 AM
I think Woodyard will make a great starter at MLB. Undersized? yes, but fast and a player. He gets it done from what I remember him getting the chance rookie year.

hagon is getting the start though, but really think Woodyard would shine.

Woodyard looked pretty meh last year though. especially in pass coverage, which should be one of his strong suits. love the kid and think he's a great STer and okay depth at ILB, but don't want to see him as a starter.

didn't want to see AA as a starter either though, and won't miss him. thinking Mays will be joining him sooner rather than later if he doesn't show something soon.

DenBronx
08-25-2010, 01:53 AM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – Akin Ayodele led the Broncos with six tackles in their preseason loss to the Lions last Saturday.

But that wasn’t enough to place him in the Broncos’ plans for 2010.

A chain reaction of circumstances, starting with some stabilization at outside linebacker, led to the decision to release the nine-year veteran, who started 15 games for the Miami Dolphins last year and both preseason games for Denver this summer.

The end of the chain reaction saw Mario Haggan moving back to the middle inside linebacker slot — where he practiced during organized team activities and the first few days of training camps before injuries struck down Elvis Dumervil and Jarvis Moss within 40 hours of each other.

“We’re going to put (Haggan) where he’s most comfortable right now, where he’s had the most reps, and then let him have the opportunity to play there and play fast,” Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said.

Haggan played outside last year and acknowledged earlier this month that there is some adjustment necessary to his new slot.

“There’s more reads, you’re more involved in everything on the defense. I’m like the quarterback of the defense,” Haggan said. “I have to get things lined up and D.J. (Williams) helps make that job a little easier with his experience in there, so it’s just a matter of knowing I have to be in on every single play now.”

Haggan could move back to the inside because the Broncos have more confidence in Jarvis Moss — who McDaniels said Tuesday would move to the first team opposite Robert Ayers. Moss returned to practice last week with his left arm in a cast and worked extensively in pass-rush situations with the second team Saturday, finishing with a sack, a forced fumble, a pressure that forced an incompletion and a play that likely would have been a sack had a Lions lineman not grabbed his face mask.

“(Moss) had an opportunity to use that hand a little differently in practice and in the game,” McDaniels said.

Depth at outside linebacker will likely come from players such as rookies Jammie Kirlew and Kevin Alexander, recent signee Jason Hunter and offseason free-agent pickup Baraka Atkins, whom McDaniels singled out for praise Tuesday after two games that included five tackles and a sack.

“Atkins has really improved in terms of the production he’s had at outside linebacker in the first two preseason games,” McDaniels said. “We like where he’s going.”

Hunter, who was signed by the Broncos on Friday after being waived by the Lions early last week, is converting from 4-3 defensive end — where he notched five sacks last year — to 3-4 outside linebacker.

Haggan moving back inside meant that the Broncos' needed special-teams standouts to fill the backup slots -- which played into the hands of Wesley Woodyard (pictured) and Joe Mays.
This is the first time in his five-year career he’s worked in a 3-4 alignment. The Packers converted from a 4-3 to the 3-4 in the 2009 offseason, when they waived Hunter a week after the draft. The Lions claimed him a day later and kept him until last Monday (Aug. 16).

“At this time he’s our sack leader on the roster, as it stands,” McDaniels said. “He’s played football; he’s been productive. He’s going to get his opportunity to stand up and play on the edge.”

Kirlew, a seventh-round pick, had a sack at Cincinnati on Aug. 15 and has worked mostly at outside linebacker, but has seen some training-camp repetitions inside and also played defensive end in college. His versatility could help him find a home on the roster.

With Haggan inside and D.J. Williams back to full speed Tuesday, Ayodele dropped to the second team — where special-teams contributions are not only helpful, but required.

“The backup positions become more special-teams specific,” McDaniels said.

That played into the hands of Joe Mays and Wesley Woodyard. Each has started once at inside linebacker during the preseason, but both are known more for their contributions on kickoff and punt coverage, with Woodyard serving as a special-teams captain last year.

McDaniels didn’t rule out the possibility of bringing Ayodele back if circumstances warranted, but for now, but the toppling of dominoes left him out of the mix — and out of a job.

“We would play him here again if the situation arose and it was right for both of us,” McDaniels said, “but at this point we just felt like that would be stringing a player along.”