PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Mailbag:

Denver Native (Carol)
08-24-2010, 11:05 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncosmailbag/ci_15870412

I have heard of pass-oriented offenses. But pass-ONLY offenses? The Broncos will get creamed with this approach in the regular season. Where's the balanced attack? And is there a point to so few runs so far in the preseason?
---Chris, Denver

So many people share your concern. Forgive me, but I'm not one of them. Not yet, anyway. When an offense is missing its three best tailbacks -- Knowshon Moreno, Correll Buckhalter and LenDale White (who we can only assume is third-best, granted we haven't seen him at length) -- and also arguably its three best blockers -- Ryan Clady, Chris Kuper and tight end Daniel Graham -- because of injuries, it shouldn't be able to run the ball.

The NFL is too tough a league to believe a team can run the ball with its fourth-string tailback and second-string line. Don't pay attention to the lack of running production, Chris.

Now if you're concerned about the injuries, fret away. As we exchange communication through this mailbag here today, the concern is how well Clady, Moreno and Buckhalter will be able to perform on Sept. 12 against Jacksonville. I'm going to wait till then before I start critiquing the Broncos' running game.

Booing Tony Scheffler? I don't get it. He was shown the door.
---Matt, Highlands Ranch

After the game, I talked to Scheffler and he shared your hurt. I'll tell you what I told him: What got him booed was the taunt he made, in front of the Broncos' bench, after catching his first of two, first-down receptions. If he makes the catch and quietly jogs back to the huddle, I don't think he gets jeered.

But when he showed up the Broncos with his strut, he forced the Broncos' fans to pick sides. And as all players eventually realize, fans will always choose not the name on the back of the jersey, but the name the uniform represents.

I think most Broncos fans do wish Scheffler well this year and for the rest of his career. But for the moment, they let Scheffler have it.

How soon before Tim Tebow reaches No. 2 on the depth chart? Once he gets healthy?
---Adam, Lakewood

This is a bit of a trick question. Here's the deal: On gameday, Tebow will most likely be the No. 2 quarterback because McDaniels will want to use him for a couple run-pass option plays a game. The NFL has been calling such plays the "Wildcat." Unlike Miami's Ronnie Brown, Tebow will give the Broncos more of a passing threat out of the "Wild Horse," as they like to call it.

But say Orton twists an ankle and can't play for a week or two. At that point, my guess would be that Brady Quinn jumps from No. 3 quarterback to starter. And Tebow remains the backup. In summary, Tebow is already, and will be, the No. 2. But Quinn is either the No. 3 emergency quarterback on game days, or No. 1.

How is Demaryius Thomas' foot/scar-tissue injury healing?
---Scott, Atlanta

Two weeks ago, while the rest of the healthy players were taking their reps on one field during a training camp workout, Thomas and another rookie receiver, Eric Decker, were conditioning on the other field. The naked eye could see Decker was further along. Thomas seemed to be laboring. Sure enough, Decker returned last week, played against the Lions in the preseason game, and played well.

That Thomas was allowed to work out before the media's eyes proves he's close. If he doesn't make it back this week, he'll be out there no later than Aug. 30.

Why don't the Broncos cut Brady Quinn right now and give all of his practice reps to Tim Tebow? Josh McDaniels can spin it anyway he wants, but Quinn will never help the Broncos win anything, and Mike Holmgren knew it when he dumped Quinn for a fifth-round pick. And why don't the Broncos just go ahead and give Tebow a flak jacket right now, why are they waiting?
---Dan Nace, St. Louis

I disagree with your assessment. Quinn is far more polished than Tebow. In a year or two, Tebow's superior athleticism may be properly refined enough to become an excellent, every down, NFL quarterback. Until then, Quinn is the better choice.

Quinn's problem so far has been decision-making. Once he becomes more comfortable with McDaniels' system -- and comfort comes only, at the risk of repeating myself, after repeated repetitions -- he'll look smoother and function more efficiently.

At this time last year, people were outraged at Orton's preseason play and clamoring for Tom Brandstater. I was among those who were doubtful about Orton and thought Brandstater had promise. If last year taught me anything, it's that when it comes to quarterbacks, 'What do we know'?

Seriously, most Broncos defenders can't tackle well but neither can most of the other defensive players in the league. However, Champ Bailey is the best tackler I've ever seen. Why can he do it while most others can't? Can it be learned or is someone born with that ability?
---Noibs, Gunnison

Tackling is about two parts. One is athleticism. It's easier to tackle if you're bigger, stronger and quicker than the guy who is blocking you, and the guy lugging the ball. But the other part -- and easily the most important part considering just about everybody in the NFL is a superior athlete -- is want-to.

Bailey is a great tackler because his competitiveness makes him want to stop the ballcarrier. Deion Sanders and Dre' Bly didn't have that want-to. The threat of contact made them timid. Bailey doesn't fear contact. He's got enough bruises on his shoulders to prove it.