PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers and Denver Broncos Preseason Game Preview

Jagsbch
08-23-2010, 09:41 PM
http://www.steelersonly.com/steelers_hines_ward.jpg

The Steelers just so happen to be the other team I am following this season.

Glad to see this matchup happening on week three of the preseason. This is about as close to a regular season as we will get, and the Broncos couldn't have picked a better matchup to act as a true litmus test.

Ben Roethlisberger will more than likely start, with Byron taking the 2nd quarter reps while Dixon ought to take the entire second half.

The QB competition has been heated for the scaps of Bens 4 game suspension. Tomlin has yet to make the call in regards to who it will be, but most reports assume it will be Byron, in my mind that is a no brainer.

Dixon is far too inexperienced IMO, his lack of composure in the pocket can by no means make up for his scrambling ability. I believe the first game he had this preseason were 6 rushing plays while throwing it on 7 attempts. Last season he got to take the Steelers into overtime, but the INT in overtime was just too much for the Steelers to overcome.

Dixon is not what you would consider clutch at this point of his career, and their is a reason why Tomlin gave up a 7th round pick for Byron Leftwich who looked highly impressive last week in the limited role.

Ben Rothlisberger made his first start last week, and did not look that bad considering the cloud of controversy surrounding him, yet he did throw and INT, on a weak throw to the Speedster Mike Wallace.

Mike Wallace in his rookie debut, led the NFL in yards per catch at 19.4, nearly a full yard better than runner-up DeSean Jackson. Mike Wallace was the Selection the steelers made with the pick the Broncos gave up Richard Quinn last year. Steelers

Pittsburgh traded its second and fourth round selections to Denver for two third-round selections. Steelers wound up with Guard Kraig Urbik and Mike Wallace, twhile the Broncos got Richard Quinn and Seth Olsen.

Byron after hitting Wallace for a first down, found him again streaking deep down the field on his 3rd read against the Giants for a spectacular 68 yard TD.

It will be interesting to see of the Steelers offensiveline will stiffen up after a soft preseason so far in regards to their passing game.

Right tackle Willie Colon injured his right Achilles' tendon, and will miss the entire season. Steelers signed Dallas Cowboys Flozell Adams but he has been unimpressive.

Keep an eye on Former Tenn. Vols. LT Ramon Foster. the 6'6", 325 pound lineman looked very impressive to me as an UDFA rookie last season. He dominated the Green Bay Packers vaunted defense, while allowing Ben Roethlisberger to be only the 3rd QB to have over 500 yards passing and score 3 TD's with NO ints.

That was an awesome game, Wallace scored a TD both on the first as well as the game winning TDlast offensive play of the game as time expired.

I think the Steelers need to move Foster over to LT while shifting their former RT Max Starks back over to RT from the LT posiiton.

One can't help but wonder how much influence Rookie Maurkice Pouncey had on the role Tim Tebow played in being arguably the greatest player in NCAA history.

With Pouncey being the first center the Steelers have drafted in the first round since 1937, is it no wonder he has been an absolute beast so far this summer in since being drafted by the Steelers?

Pouncey is making a strong push to start at center, wonder if he will get his shot against the Broncos?

Steelers where a little disapointed in their rushing attack last season, so the emphasis this season has been to bring it back up to speed, they pounded the rock heavily last week, I'd expect the same this week.

Ben Roethlisberger missd a wide open Rashard Mendehall right in front oh him at the goal line last week, while throwing it to a well covered hines ward instead.

With 21/94 yards and 2 TD's touchdowns, Isaac Redman has been highly impressive so far this preseason.

We can't forget TE Heath Miller he is one of Bens favorite targets.

BTW Steelers also managed to land two outstaning receivers in Antonio Brown and Emmanual Sanders. Now they have 3 very fast WR's on the team,

You will be hard pressed to find three fastest WR's on any team in the league. Stefan Logan may very well be cut from his sole role as kick return man with Brown looking as good as he did last week.

The Steelers fell off last year due to missing a few players that made their 2008 defense the best in the league, well imagine that they are back.

The front 7 of the Steelers 3-4 defense is loaded with 5 probowlers, this will be a great test for the Broncos offensive line.

A lot of people forget that the Steelers won two of the last four Super Bowls.

They happen to be one of four elite teams that made it into the top ten of both defense as well as offense last season.

Steelers finished off the season by winning their last three games which included both the Ravens and the Packers, so this game could deterine their tempo they start the season out with, and right now the Steeler fans are really concerned about their offensive line.

Could this be the week the Broncos actually see their pass rush emerge from their brand new defensive line? Could be especially as indecisive as Ben Roethlisberger is.

Steelers OC Bruce Arians claimed that Ben was actualy responsible for half the sacks he received last season (due to his indecisiveness).

Heck the Broncos secondary could wind up with an INT or two this game as well, given the fact that not only is Ben rusty but Dixon will have a make or break game in his attempt to emerge as the man who ought to take Bens place while he is absent due to his suspension.

I Eat Staples
08-23-2010, 10:04 PM
I believe the first game he ran this preseason he had 6 plays while throwing 7 completions.

Holy crap they should start him. 7 completions in 6 plays? He's averaging more than one completion per play!

Jagsbch
08-23-2010, 10:40 PM
OOPs He ran 6 plays while throwing 7 completions

http://photos.upi.com/slideshow/lbox/3a52e03e2d844df4faaa1d5f96c1a960/NFL-Steelers-Broncos.jpg

broncobryce
08-23-2010, 11:07 PM
Game preview? No offense but it sounded more like a steelers preview.

Shazam!
08-23-2010, 11:32 PM
Jagsbch is so cool, he salutes his own posts.

Jagsbch
08-24-2010, 05:46 AM
Game preview? No offense but it sounded more like a steelers preview.

Too late:D:D

I really struggled with the title. Sorry to disapoint.

Having insight on your opponent can really open up the window your viewing the game through.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/images/admin/poster.jpg

sneakers
08-24-2010, 05:51 AM
I like it how you hi-fived your own post, Jag

Jagsbch
08-24-2010, 07:24 AM
Just had to make sure the feature still worked for my posts in this forum. Yep... they do.:D:rolleyes:

underrated29
08-24-2010, 12:58 PM
OOPs He ran 6 plays while throwing 7 completions

Maybe I am just really thick today, but I still do not get it?

6 plays 7 completions?

Did he throw a pass that was tipped at the LOS catch it himself for a completion and then throw it again to someone else for a completion.

how can you have 6 snaps and 7 completions?

.................. l
(for good form v)

honz
08-24-2010, 01:08 PM
Solid posts all around, team.

Jagsbch
08-24-2010, 01:10 PM
6 rushing attempts to 6 completions it was 7 attempts not 7 completions.

JaxBroncoGirl
08-24-2010, 01:12 PM
I am more interested in our Offensive Line protecting our QB giving him time to get the play off. My second interest is our pass rush (lack of). I just cannot wait like the rest of you to have all of or most of our injured players back. Go Broncos

Jagsbch
08-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Solid posts all around, team.

Sometimes I feel way out of my league

T.K.O.
08-24-2010, 01:36 PM
i like this thread....though i feel it is beneath me to post in it !:cool:

I Eat Staples
08-24-2010, 01:42 PM
Maybe I am just really thick today, but I still do not get it?

6 plays 7 completions?

Did he throw a pass that was tipped at the LOS catch it himself for a completion and then throw it again to someone else for a completion.

how can you have 6 snaps and 7 completions?

.................. l
(for good form v)

It's not you being thick. I commented on his wording and his said the exact same thing again. :D

6 rushing attempts to 6 completions it was 7 attempts not 7 completions.

Yeah I get it, I just wanted to be an ass. He had 6 rushing attempts, while going 6-7 passing. That's not bad though. :confused:

HORSEPOWER 56
08-24-2010, 05:37 PM
Jagsbch is so cool, he salutes his own posts.

I noticed that, too. He's the king of the "self high five". :lol::tsk: Ohhh let me try!

underrated29
08-24-2010, 05:44 PM
gator girl and staples forgot too at the end of their posts.

Mods- can we please get some high fives in here. Selfhighfives.

You cant start once you stop, it stings.

I Eat Staples
08-24-2010, 05:50 PM

I high fived myself to see if I could and then took it away. I'm too modest sometimes. :laugh:

T.K.O.
08-24-2010, 06:06 PM
I noticed that, too. He's the king of the "self high five". :lol::tsk: Ohhh let me try!

feels kinda dirty don't it:shocked:

Jagsbch
08-24-2010, 07:20 PM

WOW

OK

UHHH

What do you expect, my father-in-law was a huge Thundering Herd fan, I went to quiet a few Marshall games. Everytime they scored a TD you had to give yourself a high five for every point they made. Bad habit...

It was cool though because I actually got to see Chad Pennington throw toe Randy Moss back 9in the day. Saw Byron Leftwich too. It was funny being at the Stadium during the draft with my herd shirt on and having people ask me who in the hell Byron Leftwich was....:D:D

What is funny even Steelers fans still don't know; go figure...:confused:

LRtagger
08-24-2010, 07:31 PM
hai guys

JaxBroncoGirl
08-25-2010, 09:33 AM
We can win this game, have our defense put pictures of their daughters in their helmet when looking a Big Ben, if he plays that should help with putting the pressure on the QB problem. LOL

JaxBroncoGirl
08-26-2010, 07:51 PM

Kinda would have felt stupid high 5 my own post. Ya know what I mean. :lol:

Magnificent Seven
08-27-2010, 02:39 AM
We gotta take the last laugh!

LRtagger
08-27-2010, 03:02 PM
Let's also take the last cry too

Jagsbch
08-29-2010, 04:56 PM
somebody give me a high5:eek:

honz
08-29-2010, 05:21 PM