PDA

View Full Version : Toney Baker among three waived

broncofaninfla
08-23-2010, 06:24 PM
http://www.broncosforums.com/wp-content/uploads/icons/denver-broncos.jpg (http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/)Three Players Waived

August 23rd, 2010 - 4:05pm by Eric Detweiler
http://files.denverbroncos.com/resources/custom/Images/10_Blogs/100823_baker.jpg
The Broncos trimmed their roster Monday when they waived Toney Baker, Kirk Barton and Patrick Carter.
Baker signed with the team in April as a college free agent out of N.C. State. The running back registered a pair of special teams tackles in the preseason opener at Cincinnati but did not have a carry in either of the first two preseason contests.
The team was awarded Barton, an offensive lineman, off waivers from Detroit on July 7.
Carter, a wide receiver, joined the squad on August 5. He did not record a catch in either preseason game.
- Eric Detweiler, DenverBroncos.com

dogfish
08-23-2010, 06:36 PM
Toney Baker among three waived

subtitled: "Another Training Camp Hero Down the Drain"

broncofaninfla
08-23-2010, 06:48 PM
I guess this should give me a rosey feeling about the RBs that are left but it doesn't. I hope this means Toney was not as good as the other guys and not that Mcd and gang aren't very good at evaluating RB talent.

Bozo Jr.
08-23-2010, 07:03 PM
was hoping he be a good 3rd down and goal line back. Oh well, Good Luck Toney!

LRtagger
08-23-2010, 07:07 PM
I would have liked to have seen him get some touches in the games.

But I never heard much about him in any camp reports, so can't say I'm upset about it. I thought he had promise, but guess not.

Jagsbch
08-23-2010, 07:46 PM
I am thinking he got no touches, because he is being secured for the Practice squad...

PAINTERDAVE
08-23-2010, 08:55 PM
I am thinking he got no touches, because he is being secured for the Practice squad...

Very insightful.. I hope you are right.

I think the man has tremendous potential. It would have been very savvy of McD to do what you say.

I really hope he clears waivers and makes the practice squad.

The films of him in college show a phenom... I am still unclear why he was undrafted.

Time will tell.

I Eat Staples
08-23-2010, 09:27 PM
I wanted Baker to make the team until we signed White. Now that we have a power back, we have no use for Baker.

camdisco24
08-23-2010, 09:51 PM
Well dang... I had high hopes for Toney... he was great at NCSU (minus injuries)

PAINTERDAVE
08-23-2010, 11:02 PM
I wanted Baker to make the team until we signed White. Now that we have a power back, we have no use for Baker.

Right up until the injury bug hits.

I have concerns about White's conditioning...
and he is suspended for the first 4 games as well.

I hope Baker gets onto our practice roster.

rcsodak
08-23-2010, 11:52 PM

Since this is relatively early for 3 cuts, I'd venture to say McD has his eyes on other players....or doesn't want to hold these guys back from maybe catching on with another team. At the very least, he might have told Toney that if he's not with another team and in case of emergency, he might be getting a call back after the season starts.

dogfish
08-24-2010, 12:05 AM
Since this is relatively early for 3 cuts, I'd venture to say McD has his eyes on other players....or doesn't want to hold these guys back from maybe catching on with another team. At the very least, he might have told Toney that if he's not with another team and in case of emergency, he might be getting a call back after the season starts.

that's kind of what i was thinking also. . . if he planned to put these guys on the PS, i'd think we would wait until the second round of cuts to minimize the chance of someone else snagging them. . .

sneakers
08-24-2010, 12:20 AM
At least he has a good story to tell his kids.

Dirk
08-24-2010, 07:24 AM

Watch out for Belichick he is behing the sofa! :behindsofa:

I Eat Staples
08-24-2010, 01:57 PM

That's true, but we could always sign Baker or another free agent if one of our backs gets injured (which they inevitably will, with White's poor conditioning and Buck's glass knees). But at this moment in time, Baker really isn't worth the roster spot.

TXBRONC
08-24-2010, 06:17 PM
Toney Baker among three waived

subtitled: "Another Training Camp Hero Down the Drain"

Another one bits the dust. :nod: