PDA

View Full Version : Kiszla: Here's your chance to hang with me at a Broncos game

Lonestar
08-23-2010, 03:43 PM
Kiszla: Here's your chance to hang with me at a Broncos game
By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post
POSTED: 08/22/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Sorry, Kyle Orton. Better wipe that million-dollar smile off your face. A hefty raise from the local NFL team is nice. But it can't buy you love from Broncomaniacs.

Denver is now a Tim Tebow town with football loyalty issues.

Given a choice in 2010 between seeing the Broncos make the playoffs or cheering Tebow's entrance in the huddle as the new No. 1 quarterback, here's betting fans are more conflicted than Denver coach Josh McDan- iels would like to admit.

How many Tebow fans are secretly rooting for Orton to mess up? Would a city obsessed with Tebow be willing to sacrifice victories by the Broncos if it meant more playing time for Denver's new favorite son?

Give me a satisfactory answer to that question, and I will reward you with a free seat to a Broncos game. There's just one catch: You have to sit next to me in the nosebleed seats.

Without a doubt, Orton has proved he is the best quarterback for the job when the Broncos face Seattle in the home opener Sept. 19.

But Orton's status won't change the fact that the Invesco Field at Mile High stands will be densely populated with spectators showing their true loyalty by wearing the No. 15 jersey of Tebow.

It promises to be a weird scene.

And I can't wait to take it all in from Section 508, where the real peeps pay hard-earned money to root for a Broncos team that hasn't made the playoffs since 2005 and had slipped from national relevance until McDaniels shocked the NFL by drafting Tebow.

There's no better place to go looking for the raw, unfiltered truth regarding the hopes and fears for this Broncos season than the upper level of the stadium. That's why you will find me in Row 23, Seat 14. Seat 15 will be awarded to the fan who can give the most compelling explanation of why Tebow will be the best thing to happen to Denver sports since John Elway or will prove to be the worst mistake McDaniels ever made.

E-mail your entry to mkiszla@denverpost.com. Keep it clean. Spelling or grammar doesn't count. But funny is good, and brevity is better. Don't delay. A committee (of one) will judge all submissions, and the winner will be notified no later than Sept. 5.

Broncomaniacs are some of the most passionate people on Earth, as witnessed by the more than 1,000 volunteers from six continents who asked for this same duty a year ago. It was so much fun listening to 62-year-old Joe Grabowski yell in a voice strong enough to recarbonate beer as Denver buried then-Cleveland quarterback Brady Quinn during a 27-6 trouncing of the Browns that I can think of no better way to kick off this NFL season.

McDaniels has yet to prove his worth to Broncomaniacs.

By giving Orton a contract extension, maybe what McDaniels actually did was buy himself more time, even if the Broncos stink this year. Here's the premise: Franchise owner Pat Bowlen couldn't possibly fire McDaniels without seeing what the coach can do with at least one full year of Tebow as the starting quarterback.

In a perfect world, offensive tackle Ryan Clady will be dropping defenders with pancake blocks before the aspen leaves fall, linebacker Elvis Dumervil will be sacking quarterbacks before we wrap up our Christmas shopping, Orton will produce 4,000 passing yards, and Tebow's fans will be content to cheer him on 7-yard touchdown runs from the "wild horse" formation.

But we all know real life is seldom so clean and simple.

If Orton throws two interceptions in the home opener, folks wearing Tebow jerseys at the stadium will immediately demand a change for the better.

So, in the minds of most Broncomaniacs, what would make a happier ending for this NFL season:

A 10-6 record with Orton leading the Broncos back to the playoffs?

Or a 6-10 record with Tebow under center, ushering in a future that can no longer be delayed?

Mark Kiszla: 303-954-1053 or mkiszla@denverpost.com

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_15853940?source=rsssimplepiebroncos

dogfish
08-23-2010, 03:57 PM
i would so love to do this, but i'd end up getting arrested for unmercifully pummelling the douchebag. . .

:elefant:

Northman
08-23-2010, 03:58 PM
I dont know what Kizla's problem is. He should be wanting to hang with me not the other way around.