PDA

View Full Version : Denver defense ranks low in key categories

Lonestar
08-23-2010, 03:41 PM
Denver defense ranks low in key categories
The Denver Post
POSTED: 08/23/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

NFL preseason statistics should come with some kind of government warning — consume at your own risk.

But through the Broncos' first two warm-up affairs, their defense has not fared all that well — starters or backups — in two losses. Without the benefit of much game planning, the Broncos rank near the bottom of the league in some key categories.

Saturday night at Invesco Field at Mile High, the Detroit Lions scored at least a field goal on each of their first four possessions. While the Broncos held the Lions to field goals on three of those drives, it was still too much for some people's liking.

"They had four scoring drives," linebacker Mario Haggan said. "That says it all. We've got to be more firm . . . some things we just have to clean up."

Halfway through the preseason, the Broncos rank 30th in the 32-team NFL in points allowed per game (29.0), 31st in total yards allowed per game (400.5) and 32nd in yards rushing allowed per game (171.0).

The Broncos have not yet had linebacker D.J. Williams in the lineup because of an injury, cornerback Champ Bailey didn't play against Detroit because of a shoulder injury, and safety Brian Dawkins missed the preseason opener at Cincinnati.

Denver's starters played about a quarter against the Bengals and about a half against the Lions.

"You're always going to think you can do better," defensive end Justin Bannan said. "But it's all about being ready for that opener, and we're working toward that."

The Broncos open the regular season Sept. 12 at Jacksonville.

"Definitely blessed."

For a graduate of Fruita Monument High School, Saturday's game was more than just a preseason game.

Tight end Riar Geer played a lot with the Broncos' No. 1 offense against the Lions because of injuries to Daniel Graham and Richard Quinn. Geer opened the game in the lineup and was usually in Graham's role along the line of

Riar Geer
scrimmage.
"I'm definitely blessed," said Geer, an undrafted rookie from Colorado. "I got an opportunity. I got a shot to go in there and show what I could do, so it was just an awesome experience."

Regular routine.

The Broncos, having completed the open-to- the-public part of their training camp, will work with a schedule the next two weeks that closely resembles what they do during the season.

They typically will have a morning walk-through session followed by an early afternoon practice. The team resumes practice Tuesday.

Footnotes.

The Broncos reported no additional injuries from Saturday's game, and no player had to be assisted off the field. . . . Only the Bengals' Terrell Owens and the Cowboys' Sam Hurd have caught more passes than the Broncos' Jabar Gaffney in preseason games. Gaffney has eight receptions, including six against the Lions. . . . The Broncos started four rookies Saturday — Geer, cornerback Perrish Cox, center J.D. Walton and left guard Zane Beadles.

Jeff Legwold, The Denver Post

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15862609?source=rsssimplepiebroncos