PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' ground game grounded in preseason

Lonestar
08-23-2010, 03:40 PM
Broncos' ground game grounded in preseason
By Anthony Cotton
The Denver Post
POSTED: 08/23/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Broncos tailback Lance Ball runs into trouble Saturday against the Lions at Invesco Field at Mile High. Ball had five carries for 17 yards in the preseason game, which the Broncos lost 25-20. The Broncos have rushed for only 111 yards in their 0-2 start. (Karl Gehring, The Denver Post )
One doesn't exactly have to strain to figure out reasons why the Broncos' rushing attack has been virtually nonexistent during their opening two preseason games.

But, says Russ Hochstein, as good as the reasons may be — whether the absence of starters such as Ryan Clady and Know-shon Moreno, rookies along the offensive line or an early emphasis on the pass — they shouldn't be confused with excuses.

"It takes time to click, and we've got young guys in here and we've got guys injured," Hochstein, an offensive lineman, said Saturday night after the Broncos' 25-20 loss to the Detroit Lions at Invesco Field at Mile High.

The Broncos rushed for just 75 yards on 20 carries against the Lions.

"I'm sure it will be a point of emphasis this week," Hochstein said. "It doesn't matter who's here and who's not here, the play's designed the way it's designed.
"We all have to execute, and we're not doing that at the highest level we're capable of. Obviously, those guys are great players and we'd love to have them back, and when they do get back, things will be great. But in the meantime, we still need to make it go, and we're not doing that yet."

At halftime of Saturday's game, with the starting unit playing the entire time, the Broncos had but 20 yards on eight carries on the ground; and in some ways, it could be argued that quarterback Kyle Orton, who scrambled his way out of some potential trouble, was Denver's best rusher. The fact that it was the second consecutive game the team struggled with the run — the Broncos' average of 55.5 yards rushing in the two contests ranks 30th in the 32-team NFL — with less than three weeks remaining before the season opener at Jacksonville makes that argument somewhat troubling.

The solution might be as easy as getting some of the injured players back on the field. However, Moreno, who injured a hamstring at the start of training camp, isn't expected to return to

Bruce Hall, falling forward Saturday night at Invesco Field at Mile High, was the Broncos' leading rusher against the Lions with 43 yards on five carries. He had a 23-yard gallop in the preseason game. (John Leyba, The Denver Post )
the huddle anytime soon. Neither is Correll Buckhalter, out with a lower back injury.
Next in line in the backfield would be LenDale White. Given the injury woes, it's clear there's an opportunity to be had, but the former Chatfield High School star has a sprained ankle and has barely been on the field since he was picked up at the beginning of the month.

With a four-game, NFL-mandated suspension looming at the beginning of the regular season, it would seem like White needs to get as much work in as possible — but then again, the same can be said for any number of players.

In most NFL circles, the third preseason game is crucial, with most teams playing starters well into the second half. That won't be the case with the Broncos this Sunday versus Pittsburgh, at least with the players most would categorize as starters.

"I think that hopefully we'll have some guys turn the corner this week," coach Josh McDaniels said Saturday night. "We're hopeful to have more guys out there who weren't out there tonight next week against Pittsburgh.

"That's going to start with (those players) being able to practice this week. There's nothing we can do about that. We can't change the fact that they're not ready to go. All they can do is work hard, and that's what they're doing and we'll try to treat them as well as we can and get them back out there as soon as possible."

But until that actually happens, it's clear the Broncos' offense will be decidedly one-sided.

"We've still got a long ways to go, but we're working on it," wide receiver Jabar Gaffney said of the rushing attack. "We'll have it all together, hopefully, by the time we go to Jacksonville."

Anthony Cotton: 303-954-1292 or acotton@denverpost.com

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15863373?source=rss

rcsodak
08-23-2010, 04:33 PM
Unlike some, I have faith that they'll get the run game clicking. This team is still trying to gel, as are other teams who are struggling in some phases. I'd rather have it this way than visa versa. Scoring points is the quickest way to 'mending injuries', and 4td's out of 7 series is one HELL of a start! (imho)
Start getting some stops/turnovers on D......woohoo!
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Northman
08-23-2010, 04:35 PM
Scoring points is the quickest way to 'mending injuries',

You mean like in 08'? Sorry, i dont follow the logic there.

rcsodak
08-23-2010, 05:03 PM
You mean like in 08'? Sorry, i dont follow the logic there.
LOL! When in 08 were they scoring like that? If it wasnt for FG's...... Wasn't the 08 offense a 'between the 20s' team? After that, didn't they throw int's, fumble, hold, false start, etc.? At the current rate, and even though I HATE to do this as its silly, Orton is projected to throw for ~8000+ yds/64+TD's/16+Int's.

Wouldn't clay get a kick outta that! lol

Northman
08-23-2010, 07:19 PM
LOL! When in 08 were they scoring like that? If it wasnt for FG's...... Wasn't the 08 offense a 'between the 20s' team? After that, didn't they throw int's, fumble, hold, false start, etc.? At the current rate, and even though I HATE to do this as its silly, Orton is projected to throw for ~8000+ yds/64+TD's/16+Int's.

Wouldn't clay get a kick outta that! lol

Wow, you base that off of a couple of preseason games? :lol: priceless.

Oh, and in 09' that between the 20's team was worse than 08'. :lol:

rcsodak
08-24-2010, 12:04 AM
Wow, you base that off of a couple of preseason games? :lol: priceless.

Oh, and in 09' that between the 20's team was worse than 08'. :lol:

Guess you just like to parse your way through a post and grab the shiny things...
the "projection", as I was quick to dispel, was for example sake...and for the few on here that like to do the same. Notice the word "silly". :rolleyes:

Orton's passing, vs #1 D's, has garnered attention by more than just a few Broncos fans. Listen in to some of the talk by ex-NFL qb's/coaches/GM's on Sirius. They've noticed his transformation. They've also said with ANY help from a running game, "look-out" for the offensive fireworks. I believe that was Jim Miller or Gannon...neither of which is a Bronco homer.

And nice try, but it was YOU that brought up '08. So your rebuttal was 'yeah, but it was better than '09!'? Talk about "priceless". Way to attempt to spin when confronted with my rebuttal.

BroncoBJ
08-24-2010, 01:16 AM
Broncos' ground game grounded in preseason

What ground game? :confused:

:lol: Tho with our 1st 2 RB's hurt and our 3rd RB hurt and also cant play the 1st 4 games of the reg season. And then our 4th RB we just signed last week.

Starting the games off with the 5 and 6 RB. Wouldn't expect much of a run game right now. Though our line hasn't got much of a push lately either other then those few Hall runs last week.

But I suspect once the reg season gets going, our run game will get a lil better.

Sure hope so. Would love a balanced attack. :rockon:

Timmy!
08-24-2010, 04:25 AM
Our ground game sucks without Know and Buck.....friggin duh....not to mention the friggin O-line is in shambles. The ground game will improve in time.....