PDA

View Full Version : Orton to Whoever...Whenever

Denver Native (Carol)
08-23-2010, 01:52 PM
CBS4 Sports Broncos Insider Newsletter

DENVER, CO. (Vic Lombardi, CBS4) ― When Brandon Marshall took his talents to South Beach, Broncos fans lamented the loss of a dominant number one receiver. Looking over the Broncos roster they had good reason to worry. Jabar Gaffney, Eddie Royal, Brandon Lloyd, all good receivers sure, but none have proven just yet to be in the same category as B-Marsh. But after watching Kyle Orton distribute the football in these first two preseason games, maybe the notion that you must have a dominant number one receiver is a tad overblown.

Orton has thrown four touchdown passes in the first two preseason games. To four different receivers. That tells you he's not locking onto any one pass catcher like he may have done a year ago with Marshall. That could prove to be a big advantage for the Broncos in 2010. Defenses know who a quarterback favors and they design their coverage to take that receiver out of the mix. Done effectively it can make quarterbacks a little uncomfortable when the going gets rough and their go-to-guy is nowhere to be found. So far this preseason, the Bengals and Lions defenses have been forced to play a guessing game. Orton is spreading the wealth around. The go-to-guy scheme replaced by the receiving by committee approach. So far it's working.

On Saturday night against the Lions, Orton completed passes to eight different receivers. He threw for 177 yards. And that was just in the first half. Not only is he keeping the defense off balance, but he's throwing the ball down the field. A nice change from last season's dink and dunk. Josh McDaniels said he wanted his offense to attack more this season. Kyle Orton certainly got the message.

Also impressive, Orton's command of the two minute offense. Against the Lions with less than a minute to go, he needed only six plays to move 80 yards for the touchdown. Former Patriot Jabar Gaffney made two big catches on that drive. After the game, Gaffney said while there's work still to be done,the Broncos are starting to look like the high-powered offense he ran with Tom Brady in New England. That should make Broncos fans pretty happy. And future defenses a little worried.

Northman
08-23-2010, 01:53 PM
Im actually delighted by this development from Orton. Its one of the most promising things this year from the QB standpoint.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-23-2010, 01:57 PM
FYI - if anyone would like to receive the CBS4 Sports Broncos Insider Newsletter, you can sign up on the following link:

https://app.e2ma.net/app/view:Join/signupId:67965/mailingId:2942066/acctId:38894

arapaho2
08-23-2010, 01:58 PM
Im actually delighted by this development from Orton. Its one of the most promising things this year from the QB standpoint.

now if he could get the long ball accuracy in tune...we may have something ....at least the offense appears a bit more like its opening up the field...which is needed

Northman
08-23-2010, 02:03 PM
now if he could get the long ball accuracy in tune...we may have something ....at least the offense appears a bit more like its opening up the field...which is needed

Oh god, if he can get that clicking i would feel a hell of a lot better. It would seem we got some receivers who can get open so if he can improve in that area we would indeed be very dangerous.

SOCALORADO.
08-23-2010, 02:06 PM

His development is a testament to MCDs ability with QBs.
Orton looked like Cassel when he was in NE to me.
A game manager with enough talent to get it done, but he isnt going to wow you. But its his mechanics that have developed as well. He even LOOKS like a MCD QB. Same system, same style of QB. MCD can coach and you can see how he wants his QBs to run the offense.
I am pleasantly suprised by this evolution with Orton and just hope he can make the deep ball when asked to.
Now imagine Tebow with a year of this tutoring.

underrated29
08-23-2010, 02:16 PM
anyone know the numbers cassell put up in NE that one year?

I bet Orton surpasses those this year.

Northman
08-23-2010, 02:16 PM
A game manager with enough talent to get it done, but he isnt going to wow you. But its his mechanics that have developed as well. He even LOOKS like a MCD QB. Same system, same style of QB. MCD can coach and you can see how he wants his QBs to run the offense.
I am pleasantly suprised by this evolution with Orton and just hope he can make the deep ball when asked to.

You suck dude. Your trying your hardest to get me to say something nice about McD. No, im giving all the credit to Orton so.... :aetsch:

silkamilkamonico
08-23-2010, 02:23 PM
If Orton gets the long ball figured out, Tebow would be traded, because there would be no use for him. Not a slam towards Tebow at all, just a testament to how well Orton has developed in this offense in the short-mid range game.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-23-2010, 02:29 PM
You suck dude. Your trying your hardest to get me to say something nice about McD. No, im giving all the credit to Orton so.... :aetsch:

Be advised that we will break you down - may take a while, but it will happen.;)

BigDaddyBronco
08-23-2010, 02:32 PM
I still think Orton's biggest weakness is his accuracy. How many balls do guys have to reach for? If he could start hitting some slant routes in stride, I would go nuts.

I think he has plenty of arm to get it deep, he just can't hit the guy in stride.

dogfish
08-23-2010, 02:34 PM
neckbeard + whisky = touchdown

:drinking:

arapaho2
08-23-2010, 02:44 PM
If Orton gets the long ball figured out, Tebow would be traded, because there would be no use for him. Not a slam towards Tebow at all, just a testament to how well Orton has developed in this offense in the short-mid range game.

gee i hope your jokeing ...otherwise i have really over estimated your cognative ability

SOCALORADO.
08-23-2010, 02:55 PM

Well it was either you or Clay, and he hasnt responded yet. so...

TXBRONC
08-23-2010, 03:43 PM

Oh god, if he can get that clicking i would feel a hell of a lot better. It would seem we got some receivers who can get open so if he can improve in that area we would indeed be very dangerous.

If Orton could/does master getting the right amount of air under his deep passes that would help.

GEM
08-23-2010, 04:23 PM
This quote is from Rcsodak. He accidentally hit report instead of reply:

Quote:
I think Denver will be out to outscore some teams, especially early on. Add in the running game to run out the clock, once the Oline gels and the rb's get healthy, and this offense could be back to being the strength once again. Hopefully the D will catchup for the end-run.
Go Broncos!

topscribe
08-23-2010, 05:10 PM
I still think Orton's biggest weakness is his accuracy. How many balls do guys have to reach for? If he could start hitting some slant routes in stride, I would go nuts.

I think he has plenty of arm to get it deep, he just can't hit the guy in stride.

McDaniels' last presser: "Kyle has always been accurate."

I think I will go with McDaniels' take . . .

-----

topscribe
08-23-2010, 05:12 PM
This quote is from Rcsodak. He accidentally hit report instead of reply:

Quote:
I think Denver will be out to outscore some teams, especially early on. Add in the running game to run out the clock, once the Oline gels and the rb's get healthy, and this offense could be back to being the strength once again. Hopefully the D will catchup for the end-run.
Go Broncos!

That was nice of you, GEM. I'm proud of you . . . http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thdrink.gif

-----

rcsodak
08-23-2010, 05:17 PM
thx GEM. I still luv you. *wink*
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums