PDA

View Full Version : Branson Emerges As Option In Broncos Passing Game

Denver Native (Carol)
08-23-2010, 01:24 PM
http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/marquez.branson.broncos.2.1874385.html

DENVER (CBS4) ― When the Broncos were down at the end of the first half on Saturday and ran the their 2-minute drill a player many fans might not know was the one with the ball in his hands as the team scored.

Quarterback Kyle Orton's 11 yard pass play to tight end Marquez Branson capped off the successful drive just before halftime, bringing the Broncos to 14-16 against the Lions. It was Branson's first NFL touchdown and -- judging by head coach Josh McDaniels' comments -- it's a good bet it won't be his last.

When the Broncos traded Tony Scheffler in the offseason and McDaniels was asked who would help fill the void at tight end the coach brought up Branson, a first year pro who was on the practice squad last year. He even went so far as to call Branson a "secret weapon."

So far this preseason Branson is the Broncos second-leading receiver with 7 receptions for 45 yards and that exciting touchdown. In CBS4's broadcast of the game you could see Branson begin to reach his arms out as he approached the endzone with the ball in his hands, but then he brought the ball in to his chest.

"Josh really tells us on the offense not to stick the ball out there because it could cause turnovers. I was (sticking my hands out with the ball) at first because I knew there wasn't a lot of time left in the half, but then I thought about him chewing me out at the end of the game so I just tucked it back in and launched my body across the goal line."

Branson told CBS4's Vic Lombardi on Sunday that he grew as a player last year on the squad and benefited from going up against veterans like Champ Bailey, Andre Goodman and Brian Dawkins in practice.

"We had one of the best secondaries in the league last year," Branson said. "It helps you get along and mature. They shared techniques with me that helped to keep my routes smooth. It gave me a lot of leeway heading into this season."

Branson attended Central Arkansas and the team signed him as an undrafted free agent last year. He now sees likely Hall of Famer Shannon Sharpe as a role model and would love to achieve some of the success someday that Sharpe had with the Broncos.

"I looked (Sharpe) up a couple times. He went the hard way -- came in as a late round draft pick and worked his way on up. So that's all I'm really trying to do is work as hard as possible and try to achieve greatness here in Denver," Branson said.

Lombardi reports that Branson is a good bet to make the final squad for the Broncos along with tight ends Daniel Graham and Richard Quinn.

"The expectation for the tight end is pretty much the same. They want us all to go out there and block well. They want us to run the routes well. Our offense with the tight end is pretty multi-faceted so you do a lot of different things; the playbook is pretty complex for us."

Branson hopes that as the season goes on Denver fans will begin to become more familiar with that Bronco with the unusual first name -- Marquez.

"I've met probably only ever met about 2 or 3 other people with the same first name (as me)."

underrated29
08-23-2010, 02:09 PM
I still do not see what josh does in this guy. His blocking as a TE and as a FB suck imo. But whatever, he has not dropped many passes in pre season and has helped move the chains.

TXBRONC
08-23-2010, 03:09 PM
I still do not see what josh does in this guy. His blocking as a TE and as a FB suck imo. But whatever, he has not dropped many passes in pre season and has helped move the chains.

I don't put that much stock in this right because it's still just preseason.

arapaho2
08-23-2010, 03:33 PM
i just not gonna get my hopes up on a TE who has nearly as many catches in preaseason as he did in his entire college career:cool:

hopefully he works out

rcsodak
08-23-2010, 04:39 PM
quinn didnt have many recpts in college.....branson didnt either?
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums