PDA

View Full Version : Coach's Corner - Josh McDaniels Game Thoughts

Denver Native (Carol)
08-22-2010, 01:39 PM
http://den.scout.com/2/994783.html

Denver Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels gives his take on the Broncos Game Two performance as well as his thoughts on facing the Pittsburgh Steelers this weekend. Check out the full transcripts.

Opening Statement
“We didn’t start the way we wanted to against a team that started fast last week against Pittsburgh. The game’s last year, they really got out in front of people. They did some good things. We talked about it, but we really couldn’t handle their speed of the game early. We had way too many penalties, just some sloppy play. Obviously it’s our second preseason game. We have plenty to work off of heading into Pittsburgh (next Saturday).”

On What He is Happy with At This Juncture
“We stopped them four times in the red area, which was an issue. One of our worst situational plays last year was third down in the red area. We’re not very good, we’re one of the worst teams in football, and now for the second straight week, our people have gotten down in the red area and we’ve made stops and made them kick field goals which is the best we can do at that point. That was good, and so was the two-minute drive before the half. It was executed well, we didn’t have a whole lot of time (0:59 on the clock at the start), and we got down there and scored. The passing game for the most part was pretty effective early, and we did some good things there. In the kicking game, I thought we were much more competitive than we were last week. Our coverage units didn’t give up a bunch of big plays, (Perrish) Cox had that one big return, which was good for us. We had some young players that I thought stood out in terms of the coverage unit, down there on the punt team. (Matt) Prater kicked the ball well in terms of his kickoffs, and (Britton) Colquitt punted well, so there are definitely some positives from tonight, which there always are in a preseason game. We’re trying to build on those and fix the things that we didn’t do well.”

On Running The Ball More
“Yeah, I think so. The issue we kept find ourselves in were second-and-9, second-and-10. Our first down rushing wasn’t as productive as we would have liked it to be. I think we were trying to avoid third and long as much as we could, so that kind of kept us out of some second down run opportunities. But we came in looking to run a little bit more than we did.”

On Injuries and Overall Health Of The Team
“I’m not going to state timetables, this, when, and all that stuff. But I think that hopefully we’ll have some guys turn the corner this week. We’re hopeful to have more guys out there who weren’t out there tonight next week against Pittsburgh. That’s going to start with (those players) being able to practice this week. There’s nothing we can do about that, we can’t change the fact that they’re not ready to go. All they can do is work hard, and that’s what they’re doing and we’ll try to treat them as well as we can and get them back out there as soon as possible. We’ve have got to work with what we have.”

On WR Jabar Gaffney
“Jabar is a steady and consistent player who makes the plays that he has an opportunity to make. I think he showed that again tonight. He did the same thing last week, and really that’s been his history. He’s had chances and opportunities and he’s made the most of them. He’s a solid, dependable guy for us in the passing game, and a good leader at the receiver position.”

On QB Kyle Orton’s First Half Performance
“The speed of the rush, and he was running a lot in the first quarter, which is obviously not his forte and it’s not what we’re looking for either. But I thought he did a decent job of really maneuvering in the pocket, out of the pocket. He kept some plays alive that let us keep some drives going, and I know he had a couple of penalties on some of those. But I didn’t think he was really the issue. He was accurate most of the night, I know he had a couple of beat balls, but those are going to be 50-50 that he overthrew and then he really got going there in the second quarter. He really had a nice two-minute drive and I think he has good command right now. He’s confident in what we’re doing and he knows exactly where to go with the ball. He saw the defense well every snap and knew exactly what he was dealing with and the ball went to the right place.”

On LB Joe Mays
“With D.J. (Williams) out, we were really going 3-4-2 inside with (Wesley) Woodyard, Akin (Ayodele) and Joe. We just decided to go ahead with that group early. Woodyard was playing in the kicking game and also in sub situations. So it’s nothing more than the fact that we’re going to go ahead with a three-man rotation. When D.J.’s back, maybe it will be a little different. He (Mays) is competing for that ‘mike’ spot. There’s no question that we know what he can do and what we’re doing and every rep that he has is a good opportunity for him to learn everything.”

On OT Zane Beadles
“Depth can come from a lot of places, and at this point we’re going to go ahead and use him at guard and swing him to tackle, which is what we did to give ourselves an opportunity to try to define how we’re going to make the final roster fit. If he ends up being our fourth tackle and playing guard, we need to make sure that we use him in the preseason so he’s ready to go if that’s what we need him to do. You’ll probably see more of that next week (vs. Pittsburgh) and the same against Minnesota. We’ll evaluate him at more than one position.”

T.K.O.
08-22-2010, 01:50 PM
kinda creeped me out when watching the interview,when he said "the red AREA".......ZONE dude ! its the RED ZONE !:laugh:

missingnumber7
08-23-2010, 11:04 AM
http://den.scout.com/2/994783.html

On LB Joe Mays
“With D.J. (Williams) out, we were really going 3-4-2 inside with (Wesley) Woodyard, Akin (Ayodele) and Joe. We just decided to go ahead with that group early. Woodyard was playing in the kicking game and also in sub situations. So it’s nothing more than the fact that we’re going to go ahead with a three-man rotation. When D.J.’s back, maybe it will be a little different. He (Mays) is competing for that ‘mike’ spot. There’s no question that we know what he can do and what we’re doing and every rep that he has is a good opportunity for him to learn everything.”

Love the Joe Mays props...gotta give it up for a former Bison.

Elevation inc
08-23-2010, 12:42 PM
Love the Joe Mays props...gotta give it up for a former Bison.

lets hope mays learns how to cover and plays better than he has the last 2 weeks....