View Full Version : Broncos' Nate Jones is your guy

Lonestar
08-22-2010, 01:01 PM
Got a job? Broncos' Nate Jones is your guy
Versatile defensive back gives it his all on special teams too
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
POSTED: 08/22/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

No, your eyes were not deceiving you. There is, in fact, only one player on the Broncos' roster wearing No. 33.

He is the first-team nickel corner. And a second-team safety. He's on nearly every special-teams play, a gunner on punt coverage and a key component on the kickoff units.

He's Nate Jones, the Broncos' jack-of-all-trades.

"He brings the kind of versatility that you look for," coach Josh McDaniels said. "We always talk about, the more you can do, the better opportunity you have to make the team and the more you can help us on game day."

Jones was among the first free agents signed by the Broncos in March, in part to strengthen the team's performance at nickel corner, which was the Broncos' most unsettled defensive position last season. Jones played that role for the Dolphins last year in every game and has been a proven nickel corner through four years in Dallas and two in Miami.

The Broncos lined up in nickel — with five defensive backs, including three corners — nearly 50 percent of the time in 2009. Jack Williams, Ty Law, Alphonso Smith and Tony Carter each spent time as that third corner, who usually lines up inside, covering the opponent's slot receiver. Offenses took note. With Champ Bailey and Andre Goodman at the outside corner spot, the nickel was vulnerable.

Enter Jones and rookie Perrish Cox, who are competing for the job this season along with Smith and Carter, both rookies in 2009. Jones has received the majority of the work with the first team so far in the preseason, including Saturday night's preseason game against the Lions.

"He's a very aggressive guy, a very detailed guy, and he pays close attention to a lot of what the offense is doing, with different sets, alignments by the slot guys," said safety Renaldo Hill, who was in Miami with Jones in 2008. "He's in tune with all that, and you can see that in his play. He definitely wants to be aggressive up there, whether it is on the run or getting his hands on the receivers."

But Jones has also been playing safety for the Broncos, something he did in spurts earlier in his career.

"Those are all things I've done in my career, but I had the opportunity to come here and be a versatile player," Jones said. "They told me you could do this, this, this and this and that's why we like you, (and) we'll see if you can handle it. I said I like that too, because it gives me a chance to get on the field and make plays in different positions. I love it, I'm having fun."

Jones' versatile role on the field for the Broncos is just a complement to his life off it, where he says he "dibbles and dabbles" in side businesses and entertainment projects.

Jones was a finance major at Rutgers and has continued to be involved in business throughout his seven-year NFL career. He spent the 2005 offseason working for Merrill Lynch and completed the NFL's business management program at the Harvard Business School in 2006.

His most recent venture took him to Los Angeles, where he and a business partner tried to launch a television show called "Jock Itch," a sitcom based on two former high school football teammates moving to Los Angeles together.

"I like to hang out in L.A., get some production stuff going on. I try to keep a lot of stuff under wraps till they happen. It's just a lot of fun stuff to do in the offseason and it keeps the wheels turning," Jones said. "I like to be a part of good ideas, and I like to see things come to fruition. Any time you can be part of something — an idea, a production, a business. I like to be a part of things that come alive."

Lindsay H. Jones: 303-954-1262 or ljones@denverpost.com

Special skill set

Nate Jones could be the Broncos' Mr. Versatility in 2010. A look at the Broncos' defensive back and how he could contribute to the team this season:

Positions: Cornerback, safety, special teams

Height/weight: 5-10, 185

Experience: Seventh season

College: Rutgers

Previous NFL career: 2004-07 — Dallas Cowboys; 2008-09 — Miami Dolphins

2010 projection: Jones has the inside track to be the Broncos' nickel back. He also adds depth at safety behind Brian Dawkins and Renaldo Hill and is a key player on most of the special- teams units.

Ravage!!!
08-22-2010, 01:07 PM
wait.. first team nickle-back? What happened to our first round pick, Alphonso Smith? oh... behind Jones and Carter.

I haven't had a chance to see this guy play yet. But its good to see that we signed a veteran to take over an obviously very weak spot on our defense. If he and Carter can shore up this position, then the defense will have take a nice step.

SR
08-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Smith was a second round pick.

silkamilkamonico
08-22-2010, 06:43 PM
Does Alphonso Smith even make the team?

Bailey
Goodman
Jones
Cox
Smith
Thompson