PDA

View Full Version : At this point, which WR would you cut?

broncobryce
08-22-2010, 11:37 AM
After all the reports that Willis looked great during camp, I am not that sold on him it the preseason. He does have speed and we need all the deep threats we can get, but even when he got open deep he dropped the pass.

I expected a lot more from him. At this point I would probably keep Stokely over him. I would keep Thomas, Decker, Lloyd, Gaffney, Royal, and Stokely.

Who would you keep at this point?

underrated29
08-22-2010, 11:43 AM
After all the reports that Willis looked great during camp, I am not that sold on him it the preseason. He does have speed and we need all the deep threats we can get, but even when he got open deep he dropped the pass.

I expected a lot more from him. At this point I would probably keep Stokely over him. I would keep Thomas, Decker, Lloyd, Gaffney, Royal, and Stokely.

Who would you keep at this point?

all of them. we will once again carry 7 wide.

as for willis I dont know why you hate so much. Decker dropped a couple easy passes too. Esp when he is supposed to never drop a pass, that is his forte.

Willis did fine, he had one drop on a difficult catch. That guy is legit. He will make the team.

gaff,royal,lloyd,stokes,willis,dt,decker

bank on it.

Northman
08-22-2010, 11:43 AM
Has Stokely even been involved in the first 2 preseason games? I dont know, i agree with most of your selections but Stokely might be done in my opinion. Im thinking maybe either Lloyd or Willis at this point as a 6th.

BroncoWave
08-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Really, we should cut Willis because of one drop? Child please.

The ball he did drop was the toughest catch in football to make: an over the shoulder catch running deep down the field.

Yeah Tebow put it right on the money but even so that is a very difficult catch to make.

Brandon Marshall dropped 2 passes much easier than that in the Dolphins first game. I guess they should cut him too.

Traveler
08-22-2010, 11:49 AM
No way we keep seven receivers.

broncohead
08-22-2010, 11:51 AM
I hope we don't keep 7. 6 is plenty. I think stokes is the odd man out. No real upside to keeping him

Denver Native (Carol)
08-22-2010, 11:52 AM
Unless one or more of the receivers have looked bad in training camp, I do not think cuts will come until all, or most of the starters are healthy. You can not gauge performance until you have a full, healthy squad.

underrated29
08-22-2010, 11:53 AM
so you guys know stokes has been one of the veterans in tc who was given days off.....

Do you really think they would give those to a player who they did not think was going to be a part of their team? If they want/think someone is on the bubble they are going to make sure they get an opportunity to get as many reps as possible. By letting stokes, champ and a few other vets in tc have mornings off it shows he is safe.

we kept 7 wr last year. I do not see the problem this year.

I will say conversly though, that stokes has been working primarily with the twos, but that is also because they want eddie as the #1 slot.

LTC Pain
08-22-2010, 12:20 PM
Coin toss between Lloyd and Stokely.

silkamilkamonico
08-22-2010, 12:42 PM
I think if we keep 7 WR's, Branson is gone. If we keep 3 TE's, we keep max 6 WR, and I think it's possible we only keep 5 too because of the QB situation. Too bad 3 of the 5 WR's have some health question marks.

Lonestar
08-22-2010, 12:45 PM
all of them. we will once again carry 7 wide.

as for willis I dont know why you hate so much. Decker dropped a couple easy passes too. Esp when he is supposed to never drop a pass, that is his forte.

Willis did fine, he had one drop on a difficult catch. That guy is legit. He will make the team.

gaff,royal,lloyd,stokes,willis,dt,decker

bank on it.

Hmmm I only saw one drop for Decker but then I was online.

On the other hand I'm not all that sure about willis would expect that play from a rookie.

Speed is great but if you can't catch it consistently speed means NADA.

BroncoWave
08-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Does Willis even have any drops other than that one from Tebow? I can't think of any.

And also, had that Willis drop been in any other situation he wouldn't be catching half the shit from it he has. But since it was Tebow's first series and his first deep pass and was right on target, Willis is the devil and should be cut for dropping it. Flat out ridiculous. Had Quinn thrown that pass, not a single person would remember that he dropped it, and would probably have put the blame from that play on Quinn anyway.

Northman
08-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Does Willis even have any drops other than that one from Tebow? I can't think of any.

And also, had that Willis drop been in any other situation he wouldn't be catching half the shit from it he has. But since it was Tebow's first series and his first deep pass and was right on target, Willis is the devil and should be cut for dropping it. Flat out ridiculous. Had Quinn thrown that pass, not a single person would remember that he dropped it, and would probably have put the blame from that play on Quinn anyway.

He had a drop in the first game from Quinn too.

BroncoWave
08-22-2010, 12:55 PM
He had a drop in the first game from Quinn too.

Did he drop any last night? If not I would say that shows some improvement and that possibly the first game was just first game jitters.

But like I said, Marshall dropped 2 easy passes in the Dolphins first game. I guess they should cut him too.

Northman
08-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Did he drop any last night? If not I would say that shows some improvement and that possibly the first game was just first game jitters.

But like I said, Marshall dropped 2 easy passes in the Dolphins first game. I guess they should cut him too.

Not sure, im watching it now. He caught one pass (he was wide open) on a Orton scramble but it was negated by penalty. But you could be right, he could be improving.

Ravage!!!
08-22-2010, 01:20 PM
one game with no drops doeesn't really show improvement. All WRs have drops, thats jsut part of the position. Just like a QB missing a pass/throw. A kicker missing a kick...blocker missing a block, runner missing a hole. It happens.

As of right now... I don't think Stokely sticks. He wasn't used last year. The coaches wouldn't need to see anything more from him to see if he's someone they want to keep, they know what they have with the vet. They would want more reps with the younger kids to see if they provide something more than what they know they have with Stokely.

I just have a feeling that Stokely is out. He was brought in by Shanahan, and doesn't really have a spot in a McD system at his position and his speed.

BroncoWave
08-22-2010, 01:22 PM
one game with no drops doeesn't really show improvement. All WRs have drops, thats jsut part of the position. Just like a QB missing a pass/throw. A kicker missing a kick...blocker missing a block, runner missing a hole. It happens.

As of right now... I don't think Stokely sticks. He wasn't used last year. The coaches wouldn't need to see anything more from him to see if he's someone they want to keep, they know what they have with the vet. They would want more reps with the younger kids to see if they provide something more than what they know they have with Stokely.

I just have a feeling that Stokely is out. He was brought in by Shanahan, and doesn't really have a spot in a McD system at his position and his speed.

I love how you threw in that he was brought in by Shanahan, like that matters. The 2 biggest contract extensions McD has given out this offseason would suggest otherwise.

Ravage!!!
08-22-2010, 01:26 PM
I love how you threw in that he was brought in by Shanahan, like that matters. The 2 biggest contract extensions McD has given out this offseason would suggest otherwise.

Fair enough. But I don't think he's a McD "guy." Never felt he was, and still dont' feel he is. If I'm wrong I'm wrong, and if you disagee... its a shocker. Doesn't mean my opinion is changed. Change "shanahan" to "prior system" if that makes it better for you. But I think it makes a difference. He wasn't brought in by McD, and we know that makes a difference.

silkamilkamonico
08-22-2010, 01:50 PM
Wasn't it Willis who dropped the 40 yard pass from Tebow last week or whatever?

I have not been that impressed with him overall, considering he was so hyped in TC. Maybe it's just the hype.

Bosco
08-22-2010, 02:21 PM

Lloyd is a starter. Him and Stokley are on complete opposite ends of the depth chart.

Bosco
08-22-2010, 02:23 PM
If I'm wrong I'm wrong, and if you disagee... its a shocker. Doesn't mean my opinion is changed.

Yes, your ability to hold onto your opinions despite overwhelming factual evidence is very impressive.

broncobryce
08-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Wasn't it Willis who dropped the 40 yard pass from Tebow last week or whatever?

I have not been that impressed with him overall, considering he was so hyped in TC. Maybe it's just the hype.

This. Guys I'm not saying I hate him and cut his ass. I am saying from the hype he was receiving in TC I thought I would see more, that's all. And I think we only keep 6 WR's. I could be wrong but I thought McD would let Stokely go by now if he was goign to so he could catch on with another team. We'll see.

underrated29
08-22-2010, 03:53 PM

lloyd is our #2 wr, he is not going anywhere!!

I think if we keep 7 WR's, Branson is gone. If we keep 3 TE's, we keep max 6 WR, and I think it's possible we only keep 5 too because of the QB situation. Too bad 3 of the 5 WR's have some health question marks.

Branson sucks imo- he just keeps getting worse. Looked terrible at TC and he can not block for shiz, even as a FB he is not taking his man out. I still do not understand why Mcd likes his play so much. For me it is average to below average....

and yes I like his td catch and other catches, but none were amazing and he was wide open. Not wide open from making moves and shedding defenders, but wide open because no one covered him. IMO anyone- jeb putzier, nate jackson anyone, could have made those same catches and td. I dont understand the branson thign at all.

As for willis.- I think the hype is showing...I mean, the guy is working his way up to the #2, and working on ST......I think some people read our reports and expect a first round randy moss or something....

This guy was cut from indy I believe. And on no ones radar, yet he outplayed all the other guys at wideout, consistenlty got open, made good moves and caught lots of balls...No one said he was going to be a starter and light it up and beat out DT, gaffney or anyone else. They all said he is tearing it up and will make the team.

In the games the guys is still consistently getting open, making good moves, returning kicks/punts and still catching everything. He has IIRC 3-4 drops. And has made a number of key plays. I think some of you put him on a pedastal (from reports) and now feel disappointed that he is not that shiney new toy and are giving him less lee way. Because I think he has looked pretty good in the pre season.

dogfish
08-22-2010, 04:19 PM

right, because marshall hasn't proven any more in this league than willis-- the two situations are so similar!

come on-- i like sarcasm as much as the next guy, but at least have the common courtest to use decent sarcasm and not that kind of weaksauce. . .

i've said all along i think stokes is the WR who gets cut. . . not my preference, it's just how i see it playing out. . . i wish we could get rid of lloyd instead, but that's obviously not happening. . . and i think willis should and will make the team. . .

BroncoWave
08-22-2010, 05:26 PM
right, because marshall hasn't proven any more in this league than willis-- the two situations are so similar!

come on-- i like sarcasm as much as the next guy, but at least have the common courtest to use decent sarcasm and not that kind of weaksauce. . .

i've said all along i think stokes is the WR who gets cut. . . not my preference, it's just how i see it playing out. . . i wish we could get rid of lloyd instead, but that's obviously not happening. . . and i think willis should and will make the team. . .

I was being completely serious. I was using Marshall as a parallel to show how ridiculous it is to say we should get rid of a guy because he dropped a few passes in a preseason game, especially when one of the drops was a very tough catch to make. Now if he was doing a bunch of other things badly people would have a point but to just base it on those 2 drops is kinda silly. And underrated put it pretty well as to how people have put him on an unrealistic pedestal based on his TC reports.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-22-2010, 07:00 PM

Here, Here! I think Lloyd is pretty much hot garbage who has absolutely ZERO business on this team. IMO, he's still here because he supposedly has some rapport with Orton from when they were in Chicago together. I have yet to see it. Lloyd has been targeted several times this preseason but the majority of the time, it has been incomplete. Lloyd is just too inconsistent, he always has been.

If McKinley was still here, there really might be some soul searching. I think him going on IR was fortuitous for Willis. I think he makes the team, even though I'd rather have Stokely.

jhildebrand
08-22-2010, 07:09 PM
In no way would I cut Willis! That kid is gonna turn it on. I like that Brit Davis or whatever his name is too.

Sadly, I would cut Stokley at this point.

I Eat Staples
08-22-2010, 07:28 PM
I was pleasantly surprised with Willis in the preseason. I thought the talk about him having a good training camp wouldn't mean anything in the end, but I've seen enough to keep him. I'd cut Lloyd though, I can't stand him...

I Eat Staples
08-22-2010, 07:30 PM
Here, Here! I think Lloyd is pretty much hot garbage who has absolutely ZERO business on this team. IMO, he's still here because he supposedly has some rapport with Orton from when they were in Chicago together. I have yet to see it. Lloyd has been targeted several times this preseason but the majority of the time, it has been incomplete. Lloyd is just too inconsistent, he always has been.

Just found this. I couldn't agree more. Cut Lloyd now.

muse
08-22-2010, 09:08 PM
I can't say I've been impressed with Lloyd, when Orton misses him, it's REALLY off (seemingly) compared to the other receivers. He's had one or two nice catches, but Willis shows much more potential and Decker looked rather handy yesterday too. Plus he doesn't really offer much in terms of STs etc. so I wouldn't be surprised if he's a goner.

underrated29
08-22-2010, 10:05 PM
For those who didnt go to TC...Lloyd has not shown much, but to the TCs that I went to. LLoyd was constantly beating his coverage and getting open. He gets great separation. And then of course has his crazy upside down one handed catches....then drops the easy ball...But for these reasons I think is why Josh has brandon at the #2 position.

Lonestar
08-22-2010, 10:14 PM
Just watched the game again this time not online.

Seems to me that Gaffeny is a clear #1 as far as the number of catches are concerned he and Orton seem to have developed a repertoire between them.

Seems like fast Eddie and also 87 are going to be go to guys also. As will be DT when he gets to the field.

after that I do not have a clue.

Loyd has the speed, same with willis maybe being on another team will do the trick for him, Stokely a wise old vet. there was another kid brit something that showed a flash.

Who will we keep only Josh and the FO know. But I'll bet that Orton will have a say in it also.

I like the depth that we seem to have in this area very young and raw in some cases but it could develop into something very hard to stop.

I saw Willis make 3 maybe 4 catches on crossing patterns and get to the sidelines to stop the clock. a real heady move.

I also suspect that ST will have a big part on who stays and who is traded or cut.

Elevation inc
08-23-2010, 09:57 AM
My opinion on 53 roster for Game 1 against Jacksonville

QB- Orton/Quinn/Tebow
RB- Moreno/Buckhalter/White/Ball
FB- Larsen
TE- Graham/Quinn/Branson
WR- Gaffney/Lloyd/Royal/Decker/Thomas/Stokley
OT- Clady/Harris/Batiste
OG- Kuper/Beadles/S Olsen
C- Walton/Hochstein

NT- Jamal Williams/Ron Fields/Chris Baker
LDE-Justin Bannan/Marcus Thomas
RDE- Ryan Mcbean/Jarvis Green
LOLB-Robery Ayers/Jamie Kirlew/Baraka Atkins
ROLB- Jarvis Moss/Kevin Alexander
WILB- DJ williams/Wesley Woodyard
SILB- Mario Haggan/Akin Ayodele
SS- Renaldo hill/David Bruton
FS- Brian Dawkins/Darcel Mcbath
CB- Champ/A. Goodman/P. Cox/N. Jones/A. Smith

KR- Cox/Royal
PR- Cox/Smith
LS-Paxton
K- Prater
P- Colquitt

nevcraw
08-23-2010, 10:08 AM
Lloyd is a starter.

Maybe in the AFL.

Traveler
08-23-2010, 11:50 AM
For all the hype on Willis thusfar, my guess is that it'll come down to Stokley & Willis for the sixth and final spot.

Elevation inc
08-23-2010, 12:04 PM
Maybe in the AFL.

lloyd will start till DT takes over then he will move down the chart

Elevation inc
08-23-2010, 12:06 PM
For all the hype on Willis thusfar, my guess is that it'll come down to Stokley & Willis for the sixth and final spot.

i like willis alot, but i think he still needs some refinement before he is ready for a roster spot on this team, perhaps next year when lloyd or stokley moves on....

MileHighCrew
08-23-2010, 12:48 PM
I would suggest I would rather see Lloyd get cut. Gaffney and Thomas on the outside with Decker #3 and royal in the slot with Stokley. As far a Willis, I could go either way I think we are set

hotcarl
08-23-2010, 04:41 PM
McKinley, he hasnt shown me much, maybe its time for this bird to fly

Bosco
08-23-2010, 04:51 PM
McKinley, he hasnt shown me much, maybe its time for this bird to fly

He's on IR.

pnbronco
08-23-2010, 05:46 PM
In no way would I cut Willis! That kid is gonna turn it on. I like that Brit Davis or whatever his name is too.

Sadly, I would cut Stokley at this point.

I'm pretty sure Davis will make the practice squad. Stok pulled something last week. It was the day that Tebow didn't do the sprints at the end of practice, so I think that's why it I think it was never really reported.