PDA

View Full Version : Quick Notes from Broncos-Lions

DenBronx
08-22-2010, 12:27 AM
http://maxdenver.com/blog1/

DENVER – Five observations — three positive, two negative — from the Broncos’ 25-20 preseason loss to the Detroit Lions at Invesco Field on Saturday night.

WHAT WORKED:

KYLE ORTON: He looked more nimble, more composed under siege and more accurate than we’ve seen. His numbers last week in Cincinnati were more impressive; tonight’s effort was better given the pressure he faced from Detroit’s front. He also had the chance to work in the two-minute drill, carrying over the success he had with it in training camp. Orton, like Fletch in his hoop dream, “truly defines grace under pressure,” at least on this evening.

BRUCE HALL: With the Broncos’ running game flagging with just 29 yards on 13 rushes in the first three quarters, the third-teamer from Mississippi entered and was a shot of B-12, picking up 41 yards on three carries to push the Broncos into field goal range. Hall had wider holes than Lance Ball and Justin Fargas had for most of the night, but his 43 yards on that drive were more than Hall had in the last two weeks combined.

JARVIS MOSS: He came around the edge for one sack of Detroit quarterback Shaun Hill and would have had another — at the expense of a double-team, no less — had Detroit’s Jason Fox not yanked Moss’s face mask. The Broncos desperately need his presence and pass rush from the edge, and this might have been his best game as a Bronco. At the least, it showed tangible evidence that the optimistic pronouncements of the offseason are not just chatter.

WHAT DIDN’T:

EARLY PROTECTION: Denver’s offensive line crumbled under a furious rush from the Lions’ front four, led by rookie Ndamukong Suh and veteran Kyle Vanden Bosch. The Broncos used plenty of two-tight end packages, with Marquez Branson often playing an H-back role and lining up alongside Orton in the shotgun formation, and began finding more success keeping a clean pocket when they kept their backs and tight ends in to block.

FIRST-TEAM DEFENSE: While it clamped down in the red zone and held the Lions to three field goals on four trips inside the 20-yard-line, it has yet to force a punt on six preseason series. Changing that statistic will be its primary goal next week against Pittsburgh.

DENVER – Five observations from the first half of the Broncos’ preseason clash with the Lions …

1. O-LINE NEEDS HEALTH: It was going to be enough of a challenge to get two rookie first-teamers up to speed, but the injuries to Ryan Clady and Chris Kuper left the line buckling, and finally collapsing, under the strain of the Lions’ aggressive four-man front. Ndamukong Suh, lining up mainly at left defensive end early, spent the game’s first few possessions collapsing the pocket, once pancaking Ryan Harris and knocking him to the ground.

2. ORTON ON THE MOVE: Only the improved footwork of Kyle Orton — which is entirely attributable to the health of his ankles — saved the Broncos from complete offensive meltdown. Orton spent most of the first quarter darting and dodging linemen in white and blue jerseys, but didn’t make any significant mistakes; his lone interception was a good pass to Lance Ball that skipped off the running back’s hands.

3. AYERS INTO THE BACKFIELD: Robert Ayers’ primary move is a bull-rush, but it’s probably the best way to use his strength. He got a key second-quarter sack of Matthew Stafford when he pushed Detroit’s Jon Jansen back four yards and right into Stafford’s path; Ayers then ran him down with help from Justin Bannan. Ayers had one sack and three pressures (unofficially) in his three quarters of work the last two weeks; if he does that in the regular season, the Broncos couldn’t ask more from him.

4. BUT THE FIRST-TEAM DEFENSE has yet to force a punt this preseason. Six series against it by the Broncos’ opponents have yielded a touchdown, four field-goal attempts and a stop on downs when the Bengals went for it in field-goal range. Of all the statistics from the last two weeks, this is the most troubling.

5. THE BRONCOS’ BEST DRIVE came in the two-minute drill, in which Orton excelled during the last three weeks of training camp. Perhaps the Broncos should incorporate some no-huddle looks into the offense at other points in the game?

Magnificent Seven
08-22-2010, 12:38 AM
I would feel better if defense is improved and outstanding. Now, we are worried about defense. They played poorly.

Personally, I feel confident in offense and Orton has young weapons.

DenBronx
08-22-2010, 01:05 AM
3 people need to step up in a huge way this year.

Eddie Royal: He had a sophmore slump and if he doesn't get it together again this year then we were wrong for passing on DeSean Jackson. Eddie is a class act no doubt but we really need the kind of WR that showed up in 2008 only better. Moving him to the slot might work wonders for him though.

Robert Ayers: He needs to get mean and play nasty. With the loss of Elvis him and Moss need to be pass rushing, rabic frothing at the mouth OLB's that have one goal in mind and that's pressuring the QB. Moss is slimmer and hopefully has found a way to use his speed this year but Ayers needs to use his strength and size and start bullying people. If he can do that it will help our defense get off the field and create huge problems for offenses.

Knowshon Moreno: We don't need the crappy 3.2 yards per carry. So what if he's splitting carries. He needs to prove that he is an every down back and get break 1200+ yards. I expect nothing less from a high first round RB.

If these 3 can step up I see good things for us this year.

smith49
08-22-2010, 09:41 AM
good observations DB. i agree with pretty much all your points, however im hoping that getting DJ back in and champ back can help the D out, but like you pointed out we have got to get a pass rush. last night looked pretty pathetic as far as pressure goes, and they gave up some runs here and there as well.

first string O looked ok at times, but orton has still got to hook up on those long balls. our O line, like you also stated, looks miserable right now. we really need to get healthy there.

again, like i have said before, its only pre-season so i dont take a ton out of it, but i saw a lot of the same things you mention.

tripleoption
08-22-2010, 11:21 AM
Defensively, the biggest thing that stood out to me was tackling and leverage on the ball. The Lions tackled far better than the Broncos D and took better angles to the ball carriers. I saw lots of missed tackles by Denver, lots of heads down when tackling, and poor angles to the ball. Guys would leave their feet, not a lot of running through, thus creating what I like to call 'human flags'. If they don't improve in these areas, you can run the greatest schemes on earth and it won't matter.

rationalfan
08-22-2010, 11:56 AM

Eddie Royal: He had a sophmore slump and if he doesn't get it together again this year then we were wrong for passing on DeSean Jackson. Eddie is a class act no doubt but we really need the kind of WR that showed up in 2008 only better. Moving him to the slot might work wonders for him though.

Robert Ayers: He needs to get mean and play nasty. With the loss of Elvis him and Moss need to be pass rushing, rabic frothing at the mouth OLB's that have one goal in mind and that's pressuring the QB. Moss is slimmer and hopefully has found a way to use his speed this year but Ayers needs to use his strength and size and start bullying people. If he can do that it will help our defense get off the field and create huge problems for offenses.

Knowshon Moreno: We don't need the crappy 3.2 yards per carry. So what if he's splitting carries. He needs to prove that he is an every down back and get break 1200+ yards. I expect nothing less from a high first round RB.

thanks captain obvious. not to be a dick, but this is information/opinion that's been posted on here ad nauseum. i appreciate the effort, but how does this further the discussion?

T.K.O.
08-22-2010, 12:35 PM
gaffney seems set on proving he can be the "go to guy".decker looked like he's ready to compete for stokes spot. and considering our top 2 rb's were out and we had no real running game ,i thought the offense looked decent for week 2 preseason.
hopefully we will go into the season with most of the key players healthy again .

Lonestar
08-22-2010, 12:42 PM

good analysis thanks for taking your time to share.

DenBronx
08-22-2010, 01:13 PM
gaffney seems set on proving he can be the "go to guy".decker looked like he's ready to compete for stokes spot. and considering our top 2 rb's were out and we had no real running game ,i thought the offense looked decent for week 2 preseason.
hopefully we will go into the season with most of the key players healthy again .

Almost 100 yards in a preseason game is good for Gaffney. He did that in Marshalls absence last year and hopefully he will make an impact come regular season.

Royal is playing the slot now so I'm not sure how much playing time Stokely will get. Maybe in 4 wr's sets or to give Royal a breather we'll see him get in the game. But I think the X and O will Gaffney and Thomas with Royal in the slot.

We have yet to actually see them all together. Things might look way differant with Clady, Moreno, Bucky, Thomas, Kuper back. Orton should have way more time to throw the ball and hopefully our running lanes start to open up. But I still think there are huge questions at TE. Regardless, when you mix time to throw and accuracy with our group of WR's you might see the ball spread around ALOT!

Same thing on defense. Someone already mentioned with DJ and a few others missing. DJ has been practicing for awhile now so he should be getting close to seeing the field.

topscribe
08-22-2010, 01:20 PM
thanks captain obvious. not to be a dick, but this is information/opinion that's been posted on here ad nauseum. i appreciate the effort, but how does this further the discussion?

Even though some of it might seem redundant, every poster brings something
a bit different to the picture. Myself, I appreciate it . . .

-----

Tempus Fugit
08-22-2010, 03:47 PM

I don't know why you'd choose 1200 yards as a measuring stick. McDaniels has been running offenses since 2005. He's never had a back get close to that number. 835 yards was the most any one runner amassed under his watch in New England. He splits the carries, after all.

broncophan
08-23-2010, 04:02 AM

great post.....I agree......if they step up.....and the offense keeps turnovers to a minimum.....good things will happen..........

gator_fan
08-23-2010, 07:13 AM
not to be a dick,

Epic fail.

DenBronx
08-23-2010, 08:45 PM
I don't know why you'd choose 1200 yards as a measuring stick. McDaniels has been running offenses since 2005. He's never had a back get close to that number. 835 yards was the most any one runner amassed under his watch in New England. He splits the carries, after all.

isn't 1000+ plus yards a measuring stick for any RB taken in the first round? just because they didn't have that in new england does that mean we forget about the run? i understand moreno will be splitting carries but i think he's a better back than maroney.

lets face it, 3.2 yards per carry is hard to make an arguement for no matter how you twist it.

I Eat Staples
08-23-2010, 09:24 PM
The line that our 1st team defense has yet to force a punt is the most startling to me. We had trouble forcing punts last year, and it looks like it's continuing. Turnovers are great, but you can't depend on forcing big plays to be a consistently good defense. Forcing a three-and-out is the greatest accomplishment for a defense. We need a lot more of those.