PDA

View Full Version : Breaking Down The Broncos Roster -- Part 4 - Defensive End

TheSportsGuru
07-17-2008, 09:37 AM
Part Four of MileHighReport's series, "Breaking Down The Roster...." is out. This time, I focus on Defensive Ends.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2008/7/17/573407/2008-denver-broncos-breaki

Enjoy!

You can see Part 1(Tight End) Here -- http://www.milehighreport.com/2008/7/9/568059/the-2008-denver-broncos-br

You can see Part 2(Defensive Tackle) Here -- http://www.milehighreport.com/2008/7/11/569950/2008-denver-broncos-breaki

You can see Part 3(Offensive Line) Here -- http://www.milehighreport.com/2008/7/14/571271/2008-denver-broncos-breaki

Kaylore
07-17-2008, 10:40 AM
You're a great fan, Guru. And these reports are great with no sports going on. I appreciate all the work you put into your reports, but it's hard for not to be critical because It seems like I always read one or two things that kind of bug me.

You say that Moss was injury plagued, but he really was just injured. Injury plagued suggests he had nagging injuries every few games that kept him out. And Crowder wasn't a "jack or all trades, master of none" in college. He was a run stuffing DE that frequently led the D-line in hurry's. He struggled a bit getting actual sacks until his senior year. So "master of none" is a bit negative because as far as technique goes, he was actually quite polished.

Also, in your Dumervil piece you say you're not a stats or combine guy, suggesting the stats and combine don't tell the whole story about Dumervil. The thing is Dumervil was drafted largely because he had the best stats in the nation at his position. I would also argue that stats actually help make the case that Dumervil is a good player: 12 sacks, 4 forced fumbles and 1 interception. So I think a "stats guy" and "non-stats guys" should be able to appreciate what he does.;)

Dean
07-17-2008, 10:58 AM
Your love for the Broncos and the time that you committed to writing this piece shows. It is well done.

Thanks I appreciate your time and effort.

TheSportsGuru
07-17-2008, 11:12 AM
You're a great fan, Guru. And these reports are great with no sports going on. I appreciate all the work you put into your reports, but it's hard for not to be critical because It seems like I always read one or two things that kind of bug me.

You say that Moss was injury plagued, but he really was just injured. Injury plagued suggests he had nagging injuries every few games that kept him out. And Crowder wasn't a "jack or all trades, master of none" in college. He was a run stuffing DE that frequently led the D-line in hurry's. He struggled a bit getting actual sacks until his senior year. So "master of none" is a bit negative because as far as technique goes, he was actually quite polished.

Also, in your Dumervil piece you say you're not a stats or combine guy, suggesting the stats and combine don't tell the whole story about Dumervil. The thing is Dumervil was drafted largely because he had the best stats in the nation at his position. I would also argue that stats actually help make the case that Dumervil is a good player: 12 sacks, 4 forced fumbles and 1 interception. So I think a "stats guy" and "non-stats guys" should be able to appreciate what he does.;)

I appreciate the feedback, but your interpretation of "injury plagued" and mine differ. Moss has been hurt a lot. I don't look at it as nagging injuries, or a muscle strain, the injuries were serious but it doesn't mean he hasn't been plagued by injuries. That is why I go on to talk about some of the reasons people feel he gets hurt so often. Both injuries he suffered last season were on plays where he made some filthy move to get to the QB. As for Crowder, perhaps it was a poor choice in words so let me clarify. I consider Crowder the most well-rounded of our D-Linemen. I said as much last season when he came into the League. I can see why it was taken as a negative, but I actually meant it the other way.

As for Dumervil, again it is all perception. His stats warranted a first round selection. He he was 6-5, 275 and had the numbers he had as a college player, leading the nation in sacks, etc, he would have been picked alot higher. Because of his measurables he dropped. So in my mind what I am saying makes sense. I think we are on the same page, just the perception is a bit different.

Hope to see you at training camp!

Kaylore
07-17-2008, 11:43 AM
I appreciate the feedback, but your interpretation of "injury plagued" and mine differ. Moss has been hurt a lot. I don't look at it as nagging injuries, or a muscle strain, the injuries were serious but it doesn't mean he hasn't been plagued by injuries. That is why I go on to talk about some of the reasons people feel he gets hurt so often. Both injuries he suffered last season were on plays where he made some filthy move to get to the QB. As for Crowder, perhaps it was a poor choice in words so let me clarify. I consider Crowder the most well-rounded of our D-Linemen. I said as much last season when he came into the League. I can see why it was taken as a negative, but I actually meant it the other way.

As for Dumervil, again it is all perception. His stats warranted a first round selection. He he was 6-5, 275 and had the numbers he had as a college player, leading the nation in sacks, etc, he would have been picked alot higher. Because of his measurables he dropped. So in my mind what I am saying makes sense. I think we are on the same page, just the perception is a bit different.

Hope to see you at training camp!

I see what you're saying. I'm not worried about Moss. He had an untreated Staff infection for six months that really hurt him, but I think everything's finally over on that front.

As for training camp, I'll only make a couple of practices because of my new job, but I will definitely be there back in form next year.

Tned
07-17-2008, 11:49 AM
I see what you're saying. I'm not worried about Moss. He had an untreated Staff infection for six months that really hurt him, but I think everything's finally over on that front.

As for training camp, I'll only make a couple of practices because of my new job, but I will definitely be there back in form next year.

It's going to suck with no/limited camp reports coming from the Mane. Hope the new job is going well, and look forward to great reports again in '09.

TheSportsGuru
07-17-2008, 11:50 AM

Cool....

I'll be there 7/30 - 8/2. If there is anyone you have a specific question for let me know and I'll ask it...

turftoad
07-17-2008, 01:08 PM
Great report Guru. Looking forward to your reports up until camp and from camp.

Thanks for the work.

Lonestar
07-17-2008, 02:03 PM
overall I grade the broncos a C for what they have accomplished but they could be a Strong B if they live up to their potential..

As for the sports Guru

top notch job.. I give you an A+ for effort and A- for accuracy

I differ in the some of the wording although I did not hang on every term used..

Great job awaiting your next post..

topscribe
07-17-2008, 03:02 PM
It's going to suck with no/limited camp reports coming from the Mane. Hope the new job is going well, and look forward to great reports again in '09.

Kahn is going to be sorely missed, no doubt about it. But keep an eye out
for Guru's reports over on MHR.

Maybe we can get him to post them here. If not, maybe he'll let me do it.

You provide a fantastic service Guru. Thank you! :2thumbs:

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
07-17-2008, 03:04 PM
The thing that makes me the most excited about Moss (and I really don't care for him) is that he's finally healthy and can actually get in the weight room and work on that muscle. He looks absolutely huge compared to last year, and as long as he keeps that conditioning up, he should be fine. I have my own thoughts of how he'll turn out -- but I hope for the best.

kmonty
07-17-2008, 03:05 PM
The thing that makes me the most excited about Moss (and I really don't care for him) is that he's finally healthy and can actually get in the weight room and work on that muscle. He looks absolutely huge compared to last year, and as long as he keeps that conditioning up, he should be fine. I have my own thoughts of how he'll turn out -- but I hope for the best.

WTH have you been, man?

Requiem / The Dagda
07-17-2008, 03:10 PM
WTH have you been, man?

The Beat is pretty much dead right now. Between work, remodeling my mom's house and trying to have a social life in town -- I haven't had a place for the Beat. Had a few engagement parties, and just have been really busy in general. I figure you and TSG are doing a good enough job with the daily news, so I just might be switching my blog to an all prospect / Broncos based draft rumor site. Maybe I'll hit you up on AIM or e-mail and talk about that merger or somethin' - cause it's a shame it's all going to waste.

But yeah, back to this topic! :D

broncosfanscott
07-17-2008, 04:28 PM
Good job Guru. I always enjoy reading your roster breakdowns.

I am excited about this group because I can see what they can accomplish. Dumervil is a beast and I am looking forward to seeing more of Crowder....boy does he have speed.