PDA

View Full Version : Hansen named CU starting QB as depth chart released

Denver Native (Carol)
08-21-2010, 03:20 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/sports/2010/08/21/hansen-named-cu-starting-qb-as-depth-chart-released/12306/

The announcement didn’t come soon enough for many Colorado fans, but as expected and anticipated, Colorado junior Tyler Hansen was named today as the Buffs’ starting quarterback.

“I’m excited … it’s something I’ve worked long and hard for,” Hansen told the school’s website.

Coach Dan Hawkins acknowledged that Hansen “has been getting the majority of the ‘reps’ with the ones anyway.”

Offensive coordinator Eric Kiesau told the school’s website that the perceived delay in the announcement was due to giving Hansen and senior Cody Hawkins “ample opportunity to show what they can do,” and to “see if one guy could pull away from the other.”

In addition to the starting QB announcement, the first depth chart of August drills was released this morning and it evidently will serve as the depth chart for the Sept. 4 opener against Colorado State at Invesco Field at Mile High.

Some observations:

– Junior Josh Hartigan is listed as the starter ahead of sophomore Forrest West at left defensive end. Coaches say Hartigan is playing the best football of his career, but I suspect part of the reason is West being out until this week after undergoing knee surgery in late July to repair a torn meniscus.

– Junior Sam linebacker Tyler Ahles is listed with the first team, ahead of returning senior starter B.J. Beatty. Beatty has missed time with a leg injury.

– Senior wide receiver Travon Patterson, the transfer from Southern Cal, has won the job as the primary punt returner.

– In one of the best position battles of the spring, sophomore Bryce Givens and redshirt-freshman David Bakhtiari are listed as co-first teamers at right offensive tackle.

– As expected, redshirt freshman Parker Orms, the former Wheat Ridge High standout, is the starting nickel back.

– True freshmen Jered Bell and Josh Moten are listed behind senior starting left cornerback Jalil Brown.

– Redshirt freshman Deji Olatoye, a cornerback through spring drills, is now second-team strong safety behind junior Anthony Perkins.

– None of the quartet of true-freshman tailbacks is listed on the depth chart, which goes four deep at tailback.

– Placekicker is still listed as a three-man race among senior Aric Goodman, true-freshman Justin Castor and junior transfer Marcus Kirkwood.

Nomad
08-21-2010, 03:29 PM
Hawkins is definitely on the hot seat this year!!

Here's another article!!
__________________________________________________ ____________________
Hawk forsakes his son, tabs Hansen as Buffs' starting QB
Posted by John Taylor on August 21, 2010 2:46 PM ET
It was thought heading into summer camp that Tyler Hansen had at least a slight edge over Cody Hawkins in the battle to become Colorado's starting quarterback.

This morning, those thoughts officially came to fruition.

According to a press release issued by the school, Hansen was named by head coach Dan Hawkins as the Buffaloes' starter for their Sept. 4 opener against Colorado State. Hansen was informed of the decision by offensive coordinator Eric Kiesau Friday afternoon. Hawkins -- Cody, not Dan -- was informed shortly by Kiesau shortly thereafter.

"Tyler's been getting the majority of the 'reps' with the ones anyway," Dan Hawkins said. "I think people make too much of it; they don't really know what's going on or how it's organized or what's happening. It's not like you've got three quarterbacks and all are getting the same amount of 'reps.'"

Hansen said he's "excited" about achieving "something I've worked long and hard for."

This is not exactly a new experience for the junior, though; after Hawkins benched his son midway through the 2009 season, Hansen started the final seven games for the Buffs.