PDA

View Full Version : Scheffler returns to Invesco, as a Lion

Lonestar
08-21-2010, 01:24 PM
Scheffler returns to Invesco, as a Lion
By Arnie Stapleton
The Associated Press
POSTED: 08/21/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

The Broncos face the Detroit Lions in their preseason opener tonight at Invesco Field, a game that marks the return of tight end Tony Scheffler, who was traded in the off season after a difficult year in Denver under coach Josh McDaniels.

"It is going to be a lot of fun," Scheffler said. "I spent four years there, and it is a great organization with great fans. I'm really looking forward to seeing all of the guys again, because I've kept in touch with everyone. I've even still got a home there, although I'm not going to get a chance to see it this weekend.

"The weirdest thing is going to be remembering to go to the other locker room and sideline."

Scheffler scoffed at the notion it was easier to return to his old stomping grounds in the preseason, where there's less pressure.

"I don't think so, because we're trying to build something here, so we have to go out and try to win every game," he said.

The Broncos don't really have any pass-catching tight ends left on their roster, although with their makeshift offensive line, they'll likely employ plenty of maximum-protection, two-tight end sets this season where they're used to help block pass-rushers and not go out for many passes.

The Broncos are breaking in rookies J.D. Walton at center and Zane Beadles at guard along with D'Anthony Batiste, who is filling in at left tackle until Ryan Clady returns from a torn knee ligament he suffered while playing basketball in the off season.

Tight ends Richard Quinn and Marquez Branson have been among the two dozen players who have been in and out of practice this summer because of injuries, leaving Daniel Graham and rookie Riar Geer, both of whom went to CU, to get more work.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15845329

LTC Pain
08-21-2010, 01:28 PM
Screw Sheffler, he's the enemy now.

BroncoWave
08-21-2010, 01:32 PM
Lol, ok? Excuse me for not getting excited for a slightly above average TE coming to play at Invesco. I think somehow we'll manage without him.

Lonestar
08-21-2010, 01:32 PM
Screw Sheffler, he's the enemy now.

I agree, but to some well he is not.

Bosco
08-21-2010, 02:12 PM
Of the infamous trio, only Jay Cutler surpasses him on the douchebag scale. I hope he gets a similar welcome for his return to Mile High.

BroncoWave
08-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Of the infamous trio, only Jay Cutler surpasses him on the douchebag scale. I hope he gets a similar welcome for his return to Mile High.

I really doubt he will not should he. It's just hard for me to muster up any passion about an OK tight end.

T.K.O.
08-21-2010, 02:34 PM
oh sure ....NOW he wants to win every game,and believes they are "building something"...:laugh:
pretty easy to build on being the only team the rams beat:lol::elefant::beer:

honz
08-21-2010, 03:08 PM
I hope that heartless quitterson gets blown the **** up.

WARHORSE
08-21-2010, 07:27 PM
No worries.

Weapon X got some memories waitin for ya Scheff.......

you can tell dat, you can tell dat, homeboy, homeboy!

:coffee:

Timmy!
08-21-2010, 07:28 PM
$5 says he gets hurt in the 1st series. :heh:

Lonestar
08-21-2010, 07:50 PM
hell he may not even play since it is a meaningless game.

WHoop I forgot he only no shows when the playoffs are on the line.

honz
08-21-2010, 07:54 PM
:rimshot:

Lonestar
08-21-2010, 07:56 PM
:rimshot:

actually a loNG three pointer.

LordTrychon
08-21-2010, 08:50 PM
Scheffler returns to Invesco, as a Lion
By Arnie Stapleton
The Associated Press
POSTED: 08/21/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

The Broncos face the Detroit Lions in their preseason opener tonight at Invesco Field, a game that marks the return of tight end Tony Scheffler, who was traded in the off season after a difficult year in Denver under coach Josh McDaniels.

"It is going to be a lot of fun," Scheffler said. "I spent four years there, and it is a great organization with great fans. I'm really looking forward to seeing all of the guys again, because I've kept in touch with everyone. I've even still got a home there, although I'm not going to get a chance to see it this weekend.

"The weirdest thing is going to be remembering to go to the other locker room and sideline."

Scheffler scoffed at the notion it was easier to return to his old stomping grounds in the preseason, where there's less pressure.

"I don't think so, because we're trying to build something here, so we have to go out and try to win every game," he said.

The Broncos don't really have any pass-catching tight ends left on their roster, although with their makeshift offensive line, they'll likely employ plenty of maximum-protection, two-tight end sets this season where they're used to help block pass-rushers and not go out for many passes.

The Broncos are breaking in rookies J.D. Walton at center and Zane Beadles at guard along with D'Anthony Batiste, who is filling in at left tackle until Ryan Clady returns from a torn knee ligament he suffered while playing basketball in the off season.

Tight ends Richard Quinn and Marquez Branson have been among the two dozen players who have been in and out of practice this summer because of injuries, leaving Daniel Graham and rookie Riar Geer, both of whom went to CU, to get more work.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15845329

What an *******.

atwater27
08-22-2010, 12:30 AM
Scheffler is the MAN. We could really use him this year..... Oh, that's right, McD is allergic to pass catching tight ends. We will all watch as Scheffler helps young Stafford progress into a better QB by being a dependable securuty blanket for him. I will be rooting for his success, "others" will be hoping he dies in his sleep. LMAO at the senseless hatred of ex broncos. Grow up.

Magnificent Seven
08-22-2010, 12:33 AM
I guess Scheffler got the last laugh.

Bosco
08-22-2010, 12:36 AM
Scheffler is the MAN. We could really use him this year..... Oh, that's right, McD is allergic to pass catching tight ends.

Yep.

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2006/01/13/1137172941_4530.jpg

pnbronco
08-22-2010, 01:15 AM
I was so bummed we kept looking for each other tonight, but I swear when he went left I went right and after the game the same thing. He went one way and I was in another and their security guy said dang he was just looking for you. Oh well miss the kid...lots.

jhildebrand
08-22-2010, 01:46 AM
Yep.

He had 26% fewer receptions in 2007 vs 2006. Even then 36 receptions isn't a glowing endorsement as a pass catching TE.

Lonestar
08-22-2010, 01:52 AM
Scheffler is the MAN. We could really use him this year..... Oh, that's right, McD is allergic to pass catching tight ends. We will all watch as Scheffler helps young Stafford progress into a better QB by being a dependable securuty blanket for him. I will be rooting for his success, "others" will be hoping he dies in his sleep. LMAO at the senseless hatred of ex broncos. Grow up.

him and jay were pouty whiny bitches .

I am happy for you to like the guy. BE OUR GUEST.

Bosco
08-22-2010, 02:00 AM
He had 26% fewer receptions in 2007 vs 2006. Even then 36 receptions isn't a glowing endorsement as a pass catching TE.

And Josh called the plays in 2006.

Same with 2005, when Watson had a pretty decent 2nd year. Also in 2007 he was banged up all year, only playing in 12 games and starting 8. He still set a career high in touchdowns with 6.

GEM
08-22-2010, 02:34 AM

McD is allergic to guys who during the last game of the season with playoff implications says to his teammates.....when is this shit going to be over. Good riddance. You don't want to be here, don't want ya here.

Good luck to him...when the shit gets rough in Detroit, he'll really be wishing it was over.

Dreadnought
08-22-2010, 05:39 AM
Scheffler is the MAN. We could really use him this year..... Oh, that's right, McD is allergic to pass catching tight ends. We will all watch as Scheffler helps young Stafford progress into a better QB by being a dependable securuty blanket for him. I will be rooting for his success, "others" will be hoping he dies in his sleep. LMAO at the senseless hatred of ex broncos...

Agreed 100%. Another case of McDanielos screwing the pooch, after which it becomes important for some reason to pretend that Scheffler had a bad attitude. Or wasn't that good anyways. Or is injury prone. Or isn't a Team player. Whatever the excuse du jour is.

Frankly, even if McDaniels wanted a new TE and had no plans for Scheffler himself he still bungled the deal. He drove down Scheffler's trade value with his own public antics and badmouthing, thereby hurting his own team for no other purpose than to gratify his own ego. It was a ridiculous display.

atwater27
08-22-2010, 08:18 AM
Yep.

Yeah, guy. And tell me Mr. Watson was not the most underutilized tight end in the league for his whole career. Most other teams would make feed him the ball enough to make Antonio Gates green with envy. Like I said, McD, like his master Bill B., doesn't like pass catching tight ends, he doesn't use them to his advantage. it's a fact.

atwater27
08-22-2010, 08:20 AM
him and jay were pouty whiny bitches .

I am happy for you to like the guy. BE OUR GUEST.

I don't know about Jay and Tony, but there are some pouty whiny bitches in this thread. :lol:

atwater27
08-22-2010, 08:24 AM
McD is allergic to guys who during the last game of the season with playoff implications says to his teammates.....when is this shit going to be over. Good riddance. You don't want to be here, don't want ya here.

Good luck to him...when the shit gets rough in Detroit, he'll really be wishing it was over.

He wasn't being used, he wasn't getting reps. I'd want it to be over too if I was a perfectly good weapon just sitting there on the sidelines, uninvolved in the gameplan. But you keep on Monday morning quarterbacking Tony Scheffler's life, I am sure you know all the details of the situation and would have handled it better yourself....

atwater27
08-22-2010, 08:25 AM
Agreed 100%. Another case of McDanielos screwing the pooch, after which it becomes important for some reason to pretend that Scheffler had a bad attitude. Or wasn't that good anyways. Or is injury prone. Or isn't a Team player. Whatever the excuse du jour is.

Frankly, even if McDaniels wanted a new TE and had no plans for Scheffler himself he still bungled the deal. He drove down Scheffler's trade value with his own public antics and badmouthing, thereby hurting his own team for no other purpose than to gratify his own ego. It was a ridiculous display.

EXACTAMUNDO!

/thread

rationalfan
08-22-2010, 12:01 PM

funny how mcd is criticized for exercising his ego - as the coach, yet you fail to penalize sheffler for exercising his ego when he put himself above the team. nice double standard.

also, remind me, how were sheffler's blocking skills? and, uh, aren't the broncos utilizing an offense that requires the tight ends to block effectively? hmmmm.

T.K.O.
08-22-2010, 12:13 PM
I guess Scheffler got the last laugh.

uh....no, he's still on the lions roster.i would say the last laugh is still to come:laugh:

BroncoWave
08-22-2010, 12:45 PM
EXACTAMUNDO!

/thread

I love how when someone sees a post they agree with they post "/thread" like their opinion is somehow the be-all end-all! :lol:

Especially when the post quoted is full of nothing but speculation from one of the most anti-McD posters on this board.

Lonestar
08-22-2010, 12:53 PM

YEs just like he did with jay and bm for both of which he got good value. Do not recall what we got for TS but if it was more than a ham and swiss on rye it was worth it.

The guy quit on the team, before the season was over and just because you like the guy does not revise that history.

BroncoWave
08-22-2010, 12:58 PM
YEs just like he did with jay and bm for both of which he got good value. Do not recall what we got for TS but if it was more than a ham and swiss on rye it was worth it.

The guy quit on the team, before the season was over and just because you like the guy does not revise that history.

Good point, he brought in a pretty good haul for both of them and if anything you could argue that he drove their value down much more than Scheffler's from the way he acted with them prior to the trades. If anything it shows just how much other teams think of Scheff's talents as compared to the other two and how some Broncos fans are kinda overrating how good he is.

Bozo Jr.
08-22-2010, 01:26 PM
hell he may not even play since it is a meaningless game.

WHoop I forgot he only no shows when the playoffs are on the line.

:hail: Jrwiz

Hey Scheff.... :aetsch:

Bosco
08-22-2010, 02:13 PM
Yeah, guy. And tell me Mr. Watson was not the most underutilized tight end in the league for his whole career. Most other teams would make feed him the ball enough to make Antonio Gates green with envy. Like I said, McD, like his master Bill B., doesn't like pass catching tight ends, he doesn't use them to his advantage. it's a fact. Let's put this to the fact test and examine their performances under their respective coaches, shall we?

Ben Watson: 136 catches / 4 seasons = 34 catches per year average.

Tony Scheffler: 107 catches / 3 seasons = 35.6 catches per year average

Yes, that whole two more (if you round up) catches per year CLEARLY illustrates that Josh McDaniels is pass catching tight end hating Nazi, while Mike Shanahan is a gift bestowed upon them by the football Gods themselves.

Oh...

/THREAD

frauschieze
08-22-2010, 02:42 PM
Frau's pet peeve: When people attempt to use stats to prove their point, but don't use applicable or appropriate ones.

Especially when if they used the right ones, they'd likely prove their point more conclusively.

Bosco
08-22-2010, 02:46 PM
Frau's pet peeve: When people attempt to use stats to prove their point, but don't use applicable or appropriate ones.

Especially when if they used the right ones, they'd likely prove their point more conclusively.

If that was directed at me, by all means feel free to correct it.

frauschieze
08-22-2010, 03:04 PM
If that was directed at me, by all means feel free to correct it.

I don't have the time at the moment to look up all receptions & times targeted for all tight ends under each coach for a similar time frame. Comparing only two tight ends under different time frames, including one's rookie season but not another's gives an incomplete picture of each coach's attitude towards using tight ends in the receiving game.

I can try to look this up later tonight or tomorrow as now I'm curious.

Bosco
08-22-2010, 03:38 PM
I don't have the time at the moment to look up all receptions & times targeted for all tight ends under each coach for a similar time frame. Those stats that list "targets" are a bit ambiguous since they are not an official NFL tracked statistic. None the less, I did find this one, along with a couple interesting tidbits.

http://wp.advancednflstats.com/playerstats.php?year=2006&pos=TE&season=reg

- According to this site, Watson was the 10th most targeted tight end in 2006. No Bronco made the list, which only goes to 25.

- Scheffler was targeted more in 2007, but only marginally (67 vs 54) and if you adjust for games played, Watson actually comes out on top with 4.5 targets per game to Scheffler's 4.2.

- 2008 is inconclusive because they failed to have Watson listed. I even sorted it by receptions and Watson was not listed even though players with less catches were included.

Comparing only two tight ends under different time frames, including one's rookie season but not another's gives an incomplete picture of each coach's attitude towards using tight ends in the receiving game. I didn't include Watson's rookie season because A) He was on IR for all but one game and B) Josh McDaniels was not running the offense in 2004. Therefore, it can't be used to in the sample size to draw conclusions about his use of receiving tight ends.

atwater27
08-22-2010, 04:20 PM
I love how when someone sees a post they agree with they post "/thread" like their opinion is somehow the be-all end-all! :lol:

Especially when the post quoted is full of nothing but speculation from one of the most anti-McD posters on this board.

I love how when someone tries to denigrate another's opinion because they don't agree with it.;)

atwater27
08-22-2010, 04:50 PM
Let's put this to the fact test and examine their performances under their respective coaches, shall we?

Ben Watson: 136 catches / 4 seasons = 34 catches per year average.

Tony Scheffler: 107 catches / 3 seasons = 35.6 catches per year average

Yes, that whole two more (if you round up) catches per year CLEARLY illustrates that Josh McDaniels is pass catching tight end hating Nazi, while Mike Shanahan is a gift bestowed upon them by the football Gods themselves.

Oh...

/THREAD

Comparing apples and oranges son.

As much as I like Scheffler, Watson is twice the talent, and should be a franchise player on whatever team he is on. and if it weren't for his injuries, Mr. Scheffler would have been used much much more in the Shanahan led offense. Thanks for playing.

MileHiWildcat
08-22-2010, 05:22 PM
Comparing apples and oranges son.

As much as I like Scheffler, Watson is twice the talent, and should be a franchise player on whatever team he is on. and if it weren't for his injuries, Mr. Scheffler would have been used much much more in the Shanahan led offense. Thanks for playing.

Ben Watson a FRANCHISE player ?? Ha Ha. Ha Ha Ha.... Put down the pipe, Beavis and stop being a hater.

atwater27
08-22-2010, 05:27 PM
Ben Watson a FRANCHISE player ?? Ha Ha. Ha Ha Ha.... Put down the pipe, Beavis and stop being a hater.

Who's the hater?

Bosco
08-22-2010, 06:04 PM
Comparing apples and oranges son. How?

As much as I like Scheffler, Watson is twice the talent, and should be a franchise player on whatever team he is on. and if it weren't for his injuries, Mr. Scheffler would have been used much much more in the Shanahan led offense. Thanks for playing. The talent gap between Watson and Scheffler is not that large. Watson is faster, but they both have elite speed for tight ends and they're also both about equal as blockers (barely adequate).

The injury line is absolutely laughable as well. Watson has missed significantly more time to injury than Scheffler ever has. Despite that and the fact that Scheffler played in an offense which has historically placed the TE higher on the progressions, Watson has put up nearly identical performances under Josh McDaniels.

Lonestar
08-22-2010, 10:31 PM
It is interesting to hear that TS got a bums welcome when he made plays and that he was concerned about it enough to talk to lombardi about it.

atwater27
08-22-2010, 10:52 PM
http://cdn.picapp.com/ftp/Images/4/3/e/a/PicImg_Denver_Broncos_v_df10.jpg

The MAN!! Good luck buddy.

Bosco
08-22-2010, 11:20 PM
It is interesting to hear that TS got a bums welcome when he made plays and that he was concerned about it enough to talk to lombardi about it.

It doesn't shock me that he got booed. Despite the vocal minority of fans who celebrate the douchebaggery of putting one's self before the team, our fan base as a whole finds it rather unacceptable.

Cutler and now Scheffler can personally attest to that.

atwater27
08-23-2010, 12:25 AM
douchebaggery

Expert analysis.

Lonestar
08-23-2010, 12:48 AM
Expert analysis. one of the better terms to be used and seems apropos

yardog
08-23-2010, 12:56 PM
All I know is Scheffler block Ayers like he owned him.

arapaho2
08-23-2010, 01:52 PM
its not a unforeseen situation to see these same yahoos boohooing over every single negative comment about joshyboy....wholeheartedly show such undeserved anomosity towards TS

he played his ass off for three seasons...he was a huge highlight in fact since his rookie year...and untill josh more or less took out the middle of the field from the playbook and declined to take advantage of the huge mismatch a TE of his speed and stature could give, was nothing but a solid team player. to see all of joshes nuthuggers condemming him for "supposedly " quitting and easily disregard that had he said something to that effect it may have been taken out of context ...unless you all where there and heard his exact words. i would gaurantee if he said it he wasnt the only offensive player thinking it

we all seen the dink and dunk offense was pittiful...and im sure as a player he recognized the same thing every expert out there did too...we need to utilize the whole field, and josh refused...a thing he could do very well

so i dont harbor hate for a man being upset and maybe opening his mouth when he shouldnt have