PDA

View Full Version : Injury reinforces concerns about Broncos’ Tebow

DenBronx
08-21-2010, 11:55 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=lc-tebowconcerns081910

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – There is something hypnotic about Tim Tebow(notes) that makes otherwise sensible football people grow weak. He stands poised, shaking hands with palms that could break granite. He smiles, never using first names. It’s always “Mister” and “Ma’am.” It makes them want to believe.

And it lulls them into overlooking the barriers set by those who have evaluated his college game tapes; those who say his style of throwing the ball is too cumbersome to translate to the professional game and find his headfirst plunges into the chests of tacklers as a great way to get hurt rather than a heroic display of manhood.

But the men dazzled by Tebow see what they want – a player so determined to win that he will take a concussion to get a first down – they forget such recklessness has a price.

Tebow leaves the field early and heads for the locker room Wednesday.

Denver Broncos coach Josh McDaniels is smitten by Tebow. In April Denver gave up second-, third- and fourth-round picks in this year’s NFL draft to move up into the first round to take him. In doing this, McDaniels essentially tied his entire Broncos legacy to the whim that Tebow, regardless of his football flaws, would find ways to win.

Then in his first exhibition game Sunday night, Tebow did the very thing Tebow did all those wonderful Saturdays at the University of Florida. He barreled into the end zone on the game’s final, useless play, knocking flat two Cincinnati Bengals – one of whom rolled on the ground for several seconds. It was the kind of move those football men adore.

A man’s play.

Only it appears Tebow may have gotten hurt on the play, injuring his side or lower ribs – it’s hard to tell. On Tuesday, the first day of practices after the game, he threw passes but did not run sprints. On Wednesday he didn’t last past the conditioning drills, clutching his side and eventually leaving the field. On Thursday he never came out for practice.

It’s believed the injury is not severe, though the organization is saying very little. Still, even a mild injury to Tebow is big news. His history of brushing aside pain is legendary. In high school he played a game on a broken leg. At Florida he practiced a day after breaking his hand in the Florida State game. He even played, unwisely, two weeks after suffering a significant concussion. He does not miss practice.

And so a month into his NFL career, before a real game has been played, the worst fears about Tebow have been realized. The things that made him great at Florida won’t work in the NFL. Professional football players aren’t as easy to run over as those in college. They’re too big. Too strong. Like Vince Young(notes), Michael Vick(notes) and Steve McNair(notes) learned before, quarterbacks who rely too much on running will get beaten up.

On Thursday McDaniels was asked about this. The coach smiled.

“He wasn’t in position the other night to do anything other than what he did,” McDaniels said. “Had he not tried to get it in [the end zone] on the last play of the game I’m sure that would have been a bigger story.”

Later he added: “I think what he did the other night I hope all our guys would have done – no matter who it was.”

When someone suggested that perhaps Tebow will be the target of defensive players looking to injure him, McDaniels shook his head.

“They should probably be careful if they do that,” he said. “I think the other guy got knocked out. You know [Tebow’s] a big guy. He’s 245 pounds. He can take care of himself.”

Tebow was 8-of-13 for 105 yards against the Bengals.

But there have already been a ton of questions about Tebow and his game, enough concerns in some observers’ minds to think he’ll never be much of an NFL quarterback. While he worked hard in the spring to correct the hitch in his delivery, he reverted to the old habit in the preseason game against Cincinnati. He seemed to be thinking too much instead of throwing and the Bengals defenders seized upon his hesitation, hitting him several times. And then on his one heroic, old college play (with the Broncos trailing by 16 points at the time), the very thing that’s supposed to make him a “winner” in the NFL has put his second exhibition game in doubt.

And now what? Does he alter his style? Can he? Can Tim Tebow really become someone other than who he has been for most of his life up to the NFL? The short answer is probably not. Nor does it seem that McDaniels wants to change his quarterback too much. There is something about a player unafraid of anything that coaches crave.

Before the injury there was a sense around the Broncos that McDaniels was close to moving Tebow from the third string to second, passing Brady Quinn(notes). Then he would install plays similar to the Wildcat for his prodigy to run. McDaniels would not confirm this when asked about it earlier in the week, but the smirk on his lips was an answer enough.

Maybe this injury is an anomaly. Perhaps Tebow comes back in a day and never gets hurt again.

But until that happens he remains the college star whose game won’t work in the NFL.

DenBronx
08-21-2010, 11:58 AM
His argument is that Tims game won't work in the NFL.

:rolleyes:

tripleoption
08-21-2010, 12:13 PM
To this article all I can say is :wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:
Just another case of someone in the media with an axe to grind who is on the 'Tebow can't play in the NFL bandwagon' and is looking for anything to back it up. Using this guys logic, Tebow broke his femur in high school playing football...oh no his game doesn't transfer to high school ball. He got a concussion last year at UF....uh oh his style of play doesn't work in the SEC. If he slid and avoided hits then the same people would question his toughness and leadership ability. It's the NFL, guys get hurt, bruised, spend time on IR, etc. For crying out loud, didn't Troy Aikman retire due to multiple concussions due to getting blindsided and teed off on in the pocket? If I"m wrong I'm sure someone will let me know :D Rant off.

broncobryce
08-21-2010, 12:14 PM
What I don't get is how RB's who are smaller than Tebow aren't at "risk" to get hurt, but Tebow is?

GGMoogly
08-21-2010, 12:46 PM
You better check that writer's panties. :scared: OMG! Tebow got hit hard - OH NOESS!!!

My old man would've told me to rub some dirt on it and get back in. :tsk:

Lonestar
08-21-2010, 01:03 PM
while I do not agree with it the concern is that our franchise QB might get hurt and have less than a 20 year career.

I'm a firm believer when your number is up your gone.

I also suspect that God is looking out for this kid and will keep him doing his work..

Ravage!!!
08-21-2010, 01:11 PM
What I don't get is how RB's who are smaller than Tebow aren't at "risk" to get hurt, but Tebow is?

They are... which goes to the philosophy as to why you don't use a first round pick on a RB. But QBs make much more money and are considered the most important position in professional sports. The risk may be the same, but the loss is greater. Plus, when defenders take a RB down... they just take him down. When they take a QB down, they absolutely give some extra "uhmphh" to it.

broncobryce
08-21-2010, 01:23 PM
They are... which goes to the philosophy as to why you don't use a first round pick on a RB. But QBs make much more money and are considered the most important position in professional sports. The risk may be the same, but the loss is greater. Plus, when defenders take a RB down... they just take him down. When they take a QB down, they absolutely give some extra "uhmphh" to it.

I don't buy it. This is the NFL, where they hit to take your head off, they don't just "take him down". I'm sure Ray Lewis goes oh wait, this is a rb, let me just take him down and not really lay into him.

LTC Pain
08-21-2010, 01:26 PM
while I do not agree with it the concern is that our franchise QB might get hurt and have less than a 20 year career.

I'm a firm believer when your number is up your gone.

I also suspect that God is looking out for this kid and will keep him doing his work..

Jrwiz sometimes your abrasive and hallucinatory with some your thoughts but I like this piece! Amen!

claymore
08-21-2010, 01:33 PM
Jrwiz sometimes your abrasive and hallucinatory with some your thoughts but I like this piece! Amen!

Post of the century!

Lonestar
08-21-2010, 01:33 PM

HAve you not noticed I've turned over a good leaf? unlike some dicks.

BroncoWave
08-21-2010, 01:34 PM
I don't buy it. This is the NFL, where they hit to take your head off, they don't just "take him down". I'm sure Ray Lewis goes oh wait, this is a rb, let me just take him down and not really lay into him.

Agreed, that was kinda a dumb argument. If anything players are probably LESS apt to try to smash QB's because of all the penalties and fines that can be associated with it.

silkamilkamonico
08-21-2010, 01:36 PM
I'm not a tebow fan, but I don't think he's stupid and stubborn enough to not try and branch his game out in an area where it will lengthen his career, which more importantly will help his teammates which he seems to be all about.

Lonestar
08-21-2010, 01:36 PM
Agreed, that was kinda a dumb argument. If anything players are probably LESS apt to try to smash QB's because of all the penalties and fines that can be associated with it.

only behind the LOS. out in the real world they are fair game unless they slide.

OrangeHoof
08-21-2010, 03:54 PM
It might be noted that we took a RB in the first last year and a QB in the first this year and neither one of them is healthy enough to play this week.

broncophan
08-21-2010, 04:01 PM
It might be noted that we took a RB in the first last year and a QB in the first this year and neither one of them is healthy enough to play this week.

I think I know where you're going with this......but we also took a WR in the first round this year....and he wasn't healthy enough to play either.

broncobryce
08-21-2010, 04:30 PM
I think I know where you're going with this......but we also took a WR in the first round this year....and he wasn't healthy enough to play either.

Don't you see? Everything that happens is Mcdaniels' fault.

dogfish
08-21-2010, 05:17 PM

and drafted a left tackle first in '08-- and oh look, he's not healthy enough to play this weekend!

Lonestar
08-21-2010, 06:31 PM

LIke this game matters?

the games that count start with game one WHICH Clady will not be at either. and that was not Joshes fault was it?

tripleoption
08-21-2010, 09:02 PM
:throwrock:I really detest sportswriters.

broncofaninfla
08-21-2010, 09:17 PM
We have twenty yards total in rushing so far in the first half. I hope this isn't a sign of the future for this season.