PDA

View Full Version : Chargers, Broncos take different approach to restricted free agents

broncobryce
08-20-2010, 10:15 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/20/chargers-broncos-take-different-approach-to-restricted-free-agents/

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 20, 2010 7:44 PM ET
The Chargers decided to wage war with their restricted free agents. The Broncos approach was much different; they either traded their RFAs or re-signed them to new deals.

Time will tell which team had the right idea, but we give the Broncos credit for executing their game plan. As Lindsay Jones of the Denver Post points out, the Broncos had five restricted free agents heading into the offseason.

Brandon Marshall and Tony Scheffler wanted out and got traded before draft day.

Linebacker Elvis Dumervil signed a monster long-term deal, while guard Chris Kuper got a $25 million extension. On Thursday, the team signed quarterback Kyle Orton to a one-year extension that we think was a win-win for both sides.

The key for many of the contracts was putting a lot of guaranteed money in 2011.

"It was a really interesting situation throughout the whole negotiations and certainly in the labor environment that we're in," Orton said Friday. "[Agent David Dunn] certainly thought the Broncos were very creative -- [G.M.] Brian Xanders and coach, the whole organization -- they were very creative in getting a deal done that we both like and we believe is fair for both parties."

The situations in San Diego and Denver were ultimately very different. But the Broncos did a nice job adjusting to the unique rules of 2010 while rewarding the players the team felt deserved it.

broncobryce
08-20-2010, 10:17 PM
I really like how our FO handles things. The sparklers could have traded their free agents if they didn't want to pay them. They may end up with egg on their face.

Lonestar
08-20-2010, 11:04 PM
hmm and so many thought Josh a fool. Just might be the bolts..

ikillz0mbies
08-20-2010, 11:11 PM
AJ Smith has a gigantic (yes, bigger than McDaniels, ha) and has proven that he won't be the one to give in to the players.

Lonestar
08-20-2010, 11:31 PM
AJ Smith has a gigantic (yes, bigger than McDaniels, ha) and has proven that he won't be the one to give in to the players.

but he also stocked that team to the gills with talent only to have the coaches fubar it year after year.

Northman
08-20-2010, 11:34 PM
hmm and so many thought Josh a fool. Just might be the bolts..

Emm, well the verdict isnt quite in yet on Josh.

Shazam!
08-21-2010, 12:42 AM
I will go out on a limb and wager SD will not be in the SUper Bowl again this year, despite their yearly hype as heralded AFC Champions before Week 1.

Davii
08-21-2010, 12:53 AM
I really like how our FO handles things. The sparklers could have traded their free agents if they didn't want to pay them. They may end up with egg on their face.

I think they WILL end up with egg on their face. This does speak to the type of player Josh wants in Denver, but I think more so it speaks to Xanders creativeness. As long as we don't wind up with a bunch of dead money like we had under the previous regime....

We have definitely made great strides in that regard.

Davii
08-21-2010, 12:54 AM
I will go out on a limb and wager SD will not be in the SUper Bowl again this year, despite their yearly hype as heralded AFC Champions before Week 1.

I wouldn't worry about going out on that limb Shazam, that's a damned sturdy limb to be standing on. It's like a giant California Redwood limb.

Lonestar
08-21-2010, 01:06 AM
Just heard SAN has given Jacksons agent premission to talk contract with SEA.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

SonoftheSouth
08-21-2010, 06:16 AM

Or bloody noses on the faces of their replacement players. :laugh:

LRtagger
08-21-2010, 06:49 AM
Funny. Just a couple weeks ago before Doom got his deal, everyone was talking about how Bowlen was broke and this was the cheapest FO in the league.

broncobryce
08-21-2010, 11:22 AM
Funny. Just a couple weeks ago before Doom got his deal, everyone was talking about how Bowlen was broke and this was the cheapest FO in the league.

Yes, but many are impatient and too quick to judge. THEY know more then our FO, obviously.:lol:

rcsodak
08-21-2010, 12:51 PM

Not sure....but is this a "fill in the blank" sentence?? :confused:

If so, I'll start with "**********".
automobile

rcsodak
08-21-2010, 12:55 PM

Prolly the same ones that said BM wouldn't garner any top picks/interest, ESPECIALLY after McD "told the world" about his many problems and sat him, wk 17.

Give 'em a sounding board......they'll use it. LOL

Ravage!!!
08-21-2010, 01:00 PM

AJ is proving what I've always believed. Marty Schottenheimer was the brains behind their successful drafting. When Marty was there, that team was a 14-2 team that was still BUILDING. Marty did the same thing with the Brown and the Chiefs by making their GMs look really good. Ever since Marty left, AJ has been making mistake after mistake.

I was thrilled when AJ made the mistake of firing Schottenheimer.