PDA

View Full Version : Krieger: Broncos hedging their bets on Tim Tebow

Lonestar
08-20-2010, 03:35 PM
Krieger: Broncos hedging their bets on Tim Tebow
By Dave Krieger
The Denver Post
POSTED: 08/20/2010 02:20:39 PM MDT

Rookie quarterback Tim Tebow looks on during training camp at Dove Valley this week. (Getty)
Just in case you didn't know what it means to hedge a bet, this is what it means. The Broncos just hedged their bet on Tim Tebow by at least one year.

Naturally, coach Josh McDaniels emphasized Kyle Orton's improvement as he announced the first big-money contract extension of the veteran quarterback's career this afternoon.

What he didn't say is that it has taken only a couple weeks of training camp and one preseason game to confirm what many NFL talent scouts believed back in April — that Tebow is not ready to run a pro offense and isn't that close to being ready.

Before Orton signed the one-year extension that will keep him in blue and orange through the 2011 season, he was headed for unrestricted free agency at the end of this season. If the Broncos were willing to accept that situation, that meant they expected somebody else to overtake him as their starting signal-caller within the next year.

Based on what we've seen so far, that's a pretty high-risk bet.

"I think the fact of the matter is Kyle is the starter, has played like the starter, is playing very well and is playing at a different level than Tim or Brady (Quinn) both play at," McDaniels said.

Still, it's a one-year deal, not a multi-year deal. It commits the Broncos to give Tebow at least two years behind a veteran quarterback, which is pretty much the minimum timeframe veteran NFL personnel analysts predicted it would take Tebow to transition to the pro game.

The popular rookie's first NFL game experience, in Saturday's preseason opener at Cincinnati, showcased both his positives and negatives. He displayed not only the competitiveness and determination that make him intriguing, but also the mechanical flaws and high-risk tendencies that make him controversial as an NFL prospect.

If Tebow and Quinn were supposed to provide immediate competition for Orton, that plan failed. Orton is more entrenched as the starter than ever. What the contrast with the two younger quarterbacks did is convince the Broncos that for the foreseeable future, Orton is still their best bet.
Dave Krieger: 303-954-5297, dkrieger@denverpost.com or twitter.com/DaveKrieger

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15842026

broncobryce
08-20-2010, 05:18 PM
I knew crap like this would come out.

arapaho2
08-20-2010, 05:29 PM
whats sad is....if orton is by far the best we got and looks to be until 2012...then in my eyes we wasted a lot of much needed picks on a qb that wont live up to his draft pick for years if ever

Tempus Fugit
08-20-2010, 05:58 PM
The notion that the deal somehow "commits the Broncos to give Tebow at least two years behind a veteran quarterback" is absurd, and the writer should have been particularly cognizant of that given the fact that McDaniels was in New England when Brady nudged Bledsoe aside. The contract rewards Orton while giving the team protection moving forward. That contract is not going to stop Tebow from becoming the starter if McDaniels thinks that it's time to make a change.

silkamilkamonico
08-20-2010, 07:16 PM
whats sad is....if orton is by far the best we got and looks to be until 2012...then in my eyes we wasted a lot of much needed picks on a qb that wont live up to his draft pick for years if ever

I don't see how 1 season is the determinant between a credited draft pick and one that never pans out or takes years. If Tebow is anything like Aaron Rodgers, who is easily a top 5 QB after his second year starting and sitting for 3 years, 100% of the Denver fanbase would be idiots to not be happy.

silkamilkamonico
08-20-2010, 07:19 PM
As far as myself, I still cannot believe the fans actually thought Tebow would be starting sometime this year, or even next (if he does, it's truly surprising and a credit to him). This isn't John Madden NFL Football.

T.K.O.
08-20-2010, 07:38 PM
Krieger: Broncos hedging their bets on Tim Tebow
By Dave Krieger
The Denver Post
POSTED: 08/20/2010 02:20:39 PM MDT

Rookie quarterback Tim Tebow looks on during training camp at Dove Valley this week. (Getty)
Just in case you didn't know what it means to hedge a bet, this is what it means. The Broncos just hedged their bet on Tim Tebow by at least one year.

Naturally, coach Josh McDaniels emphasized Kyle Orton's improvement as he announced the first big-money contract extension of the veteran quarterback's career this afternoon.

What he didn't say is that it has taken only a couple weeks of training camp and one preseason game to confirm what many NFL talent scouts believed back in April — that Tebow is not ready to run a pro offense and isn't that close to being ready.Before Orton signed the one-year extension that will keep him in blue and orange through the 2011 season, he was headed for unrestricted free agency at the end of this season. If the Broncos were willing to accept that situation, that meant they expected somebody else to overtake him as their starting signal-caller within the next year.

Based on what we've seen so far, that's a pretty high-risk bet.

"I think the fact of the matter is Kyle is the starter, has played like the starter, is playing very well and is playing at a different level than Tim or Brady (Quinn) both play at," McDaniels said.

Still, it's a one-year deal, not a multi-year deal. It commits the Broncos to give Tebow at least two years behind a veteran quarterback, which is pretty much the minimum timeframe veteran NFL personnel analysts predicted it would take Tebow to transition to the pro game.

The popular rookie's first NFL game experience, in Saturday's preseason opener at Cincinnati, showcased both his positives and negatives. He displayed not only the competitiveness and determination that make him intriguing, but also the mechanical flaws and high-risk tendencies that make him controversial as an NFL prospect.

If Tebow and Quinn were supposed to provide immediate competition for Orton, that plan failed. Orton is more entrenched as the starter than ever. What the contrast with the two younger quarterbacks did is convince the Broncos that for the foreseeable future, Orton is still their best bet.
Dave Krieger: 303-954-5297, dkrieger@denverpost.com or twitter.com/DaveKrieger

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15842026

he looked a haell of a lot more ready than quinn:laugh:

TXBRONC
08-20-2010, 08:32 PM
The notion that the deal somehow "commits the Broncos to give Tebow at least two years behind a veteran quarterback" is absurd, and the writer should have been particularly cognizant of that given the fact that McDaniels was in New England when Brady nudged Bledsoe aside. The contract rewards Orton while giving the team protection moving forward. That contract is not going to stop Tebow from becoming the starter if McDaniels thinks that it's time to make a change.

I agree. It's a one year extension which gives McDaniels some flexibility.

tomjonesrocks
08-21-2010, 12:05 AM
Extremely insightful article. :lol:

PAINTERDAVE
08-21-2010, 01:29 AM
The extension gives the Broncos OPTIONS.

The future is unwritten.

GGMoogly
08-21-2010, 01:41 AM
As far as myself, I still cannot believe the fans actually thought Tebow would be starting sometime this year, or even next (if he does, it's truly surprising and a credit to him). This isn't John Madden NFL Football.

It's not that hard to believe Tebow will start, even knowing Orton to be far ahead in running the offense. Sixteen games is brutal for any QB not named Farve or Elway. If KO makes it through the entire season, I'll DEFINITELY be surprised (and not all that upset.) ;)

Jagsbch
08-21-2010, 04:21 AM
If I am McDaniels I am rubbing my hands together in light of this article thinking my plan is working brilliantly.
First of all Orton is not getting paid like a starter, if you wanted to insure that he did you would not pay him less than 3 million this season.

Less than $3 million this year. wopty do... Not to mention he only gets a fraction of that from the Broncos if he gets traded.

I personally don't see this as a reward for outstanding play. A reward would allow him to be getting paid now. Is he getting paid now? Money on paper in this league does not necessarily equate to making cents...

It is $9 million next season and less than $3 million this season.

How much of a signing bonus did he get that is the question. How much guaranteed money did he get from next years salary this year? If the guaranteed money revolves around next season, such as roster bonus ect. then this again is nothing more than a smokescreen designed to do nothing more than play up the value of Orton for trade purposes IMO.

Your going to pay Orton 9 million to sit on the bench next season? I don't think so... this is nothing but a smokescreen to sell Orton in a trade.

This contract means nothing considering if he is traded the team he goes too will renegotiate his contract for a longer term one. This is designed to do nothing more IMO than up the ante of his trade.

McDaniels has got to be loving the power to manipulate the media to sell his actual agenda of pimping Orton.:D:D

I was wondering hwat the hold up was in getting a contract done so Orton could show his appreciation for the opportunity this team has given him, by allowing them to recoup some of their investment in him with a trade, and this was just what the doctor ordered.

This contract was a win for the Broncos, especially when we have no word regarding a signing bonus.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-21-2010, 09:10 AM

Brady didn't really nudge Bledsoe out of the starting job. Bledsoe got hurt and Brady shined as his relief so Bledsoe never got his job back. Had Bledsoe not gotten hurt, Bledsoe would've remained the starter and odds are, the Pats would not have made the Superbowl. It's just like Delhomme in Carolina. Had Rodney Pete not been absolutely terrible (and nicked up) in their first game, Delhomme likely never would've seen the field and the Delhomme era likely would've not happened - or would've been put on hold for awhile.

I do agree with you about protecting the Broncos, though. If Tebow's not ready next season, Orton stays on as the starter. If he is, Orton is most likely shopped for a draft pick or a player because we will still own his rights and he still will be under contract for one more year (the time most players get traded if they have value if the team decides not to sign them to a long-term deal).

Tempus Fugit
08-21-2010, 10:53 AM
Brady didn't really nudge Bledsoe out of the starting job. Bledsoe got hurt and Brady shined as his relief so Bledsoe never got his job back. Had Bledsoe not gotten hurt, Bledsoe would've remained the starter and odds are, the Pats would not have made the Superbowl. It's just like Delhomme in Carolina. Had Rodney Pete not been absolutely terrible (and nicked up) in their first game, Delhomme likely never would've seen the field and the Delhomme era likely would've not happened - or would've been put on hold for awhile.

I do agree with you about protecting the Broncos, though. If Tebow's not ready next season, Orton stays on as the starter. If he is, Orton is most likely shopped for a draft pick or a player because we will still own his rights and he still will be under contract for one more year (the time most players get traded if they have value if the team decides not to sign them to a long-term deal).

Belichick was already thinking about replacing Bledsoe. The injury just gave him the cover to do so.

Lonestar
08-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Belichick was already thinking about replacing Bledsoe. The injury just gave him the cover to do so.

drew was looking at another huge contract coming down the line and NE model is to replace them with cheaper talent IF they do not fit the game plan.

which Drew did not he was a statue and when pressured folded like a cheap tent in a storm. he was not in any shape or form the cool customer that brady turned out to be.

rcsodak
08-21-2010, 12:45 PM
If I am McDaniels I am rubbing my hands together in light of this article thinking my plan is working brilliantly.
First of all Orton is not getting paid like a starter, if you wanted to insure that he did you would not pay him less than 3 million this season.

Less than $3 million this year. wopty do... Not to mention he only gets a fraction of that from the Broncos if he gets traded.

I personally don't see this as a reward for outstanding play. A reward would allow him to be getting paid now. Is he getting paid now? Money on paper in this league does not necessarily equate to making cents...

It is $9 million next season and less than $3 million this season.

Not sure which article I read it in, but pretty sure he's getting an additional $2+million this year, taking him to closer to $6M for the season. I'd say that IS geting paid more like a starter.