PDA

View Full Version : Running backs Lance Ball and Justin Fargas battling for Broncos first-team

Lonestar
08-19-2010, 09:58 PM
Running backs Lance Ball and Justin Fargas battling for Broncos first-team
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
POSTED: 08/18/2010 08:16:56 PM MDT
UPDATED: 08/18/2010 08:19:18 PM MDT

Kyle Orton celebrates with Seth Olson after Russ Hochstein caught a punt after the Broncos' afternoon practice Wednesday. (John Leyba, The Denver Post)
A look at Broncos training camp practice Wednesday at Dove Valley:

Highlight

Most of the Broncos players hung out on the field at the conclusion of practice to meet and sign autographs for a group of about 100 Army veterans from Fort Carson's Wounded Warrior Battalion. The group watched practice from the shade in the south end zone. "One of them said it wasn't as hot here as it was in Iraq, so I should feel lucky," right tackle Ryan Harris said.

Lowlight

The Broncos ran the ball little in their preseason opener last week, and the mechanics of the running game didn't seem to be much improved Wednesday as the team began its preparations for Saturday's game against Detroit. Coach Josh McDaniels was visibly frustrated with the offense during the early full team drills, which included much of the ground-game work. The Broncos running backs have consistently struggled to run in practice against the team's defensive line.

Position battle

Lance Ball continued to get the first-team reps at tailback with Knowshon Moreno, Correll Buckhalter and LenDale White still sidelined with various injuries. But Justin Fargas, signed last week, could be making a push. A day after scoring a rushing touchdown in the goal-line drill, Fargas impressed his teammates with his strong running between the tackles.

"You get to about three weeks into camp and it's a struggle to get it over with. Now the light's at the end of the tunnel." —Defensive end Justin Bannan.

Quarterback watch

Kyle Orton — Firmly established as the starting quarterback, Orton has stepped up his vocal game as well. He's talking plenty of trash to the defense during team drills and is the first to pump up the offense after good and bad plays alike.

Brady Quinn — Completed a pair of nice throws, including one after a scramble, to tight end Marquez Branson.
Tim Tebow — After talking to trainers, Tebow jogged off the field before the stretching period and did not return.

Camp facts

Today is the final day of training camp, with one practice, from 8:45 a.m.-10:30 a.m. that is open to the public.

Northman
08-19-2010, 10:01 PM
Im actually pulling for Lance. I hope he does well.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-20-2010, 06:09 AM
I'd like to see what Fargas can do. I saw enough of Ball and Hall in the first game to last me awhile. There's just something about having a veteran RB that runs hard that makes me feel better. Like when we had Michael Pittman. You knew he was going to get at least a couple yards very time he touched the ball. Not a great back, but solid.

BORDERLINE
08-20-2010, 01:17 PM
too bad i'm not gonna be able to see the lions game...i really wanted to see fargas cuz the RB that are in now where not imppresive againts the bengals

BroncoNut
08-20-2010, 01:31 PM
Kyle Orton talking trash to the D, :kewl:

I Eat Staples
08-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Fargas is a solid, up-hill runner. I'm not sure how he'll fit in this system but honestly he could have been a great HB in Oakland, but was chased out because they kept drafting HBs that mostly busted anyway. I really hope he gets a chance here.