View Full Version : Broncos' versatile Larsen specializes at fullback

Lonestar
08-18-2010, 04:15 PM
Broncos' versatile Larsen specializes at fullback
By John Schreier
The Denver Post
POSTED: 08/18/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT
UPDATED: 08/18/2010 07:46:11 AM MDT

As the backfield carousel continued spinning at the Broncos' training camp last week, one player assumed the same stance at the same position on each repetition.

While his teammates were practicing the fundamentals of sweeps, counters and dives, Spencer Larsen — for the first time in his third NFL season — lined up exclusively at fullback on each handoff.

The man who started his career as a linebacker and is famous for starting on both sides of the ball and on special teams has finally found a home in Denver's backfield.

At least he's not a complete stranger to playing offense.

"I was all right in high school," Larsen said. "Let's see how it transfers to 10 years from then. I was used to having the ball in my hands."

Larsen tends to get the ball in his hands regardless of his position. He started at quarterback in high school in Gilbert, Ariz., but his 124 tackles as a senior were his ticket to the University of Arizona. He notched three interceptions and eight fumble recoveries as a Wildcat.

Despite being named to all-Pacific 10 first team as a senior, Larsen lasted until the sixth round of the 2008 draft. And like most late-round selections, he faced an uphill battle to earn a roster spot in his first training camp.

"There are new rookies every year and new guys you're competing with," he said. "I think that's the biggest thing. It's a constant struggle."

Not only did he earn the right to wear the orange and blue in 2008, he appeared in 14 games as a linebacker and special-teams ace — and got his first taste of fullback in an injury-ravaged backfield. The rookie started at linebacker, fullback and on the kickoff team in a game in Atlanta in November.

"Growing up, especially in college, I never thought I'd be playing (fullback)," Larsen said. "But things happen and different scenarios pop up, and you just want to handle them."

Larsen practiced on both sides of the ball

Spencer Larsen started at linebacker and fullback in one game as a rookie in 2008 and was listed at both positions last season. But he has practiced only on offense during training camp and is officially a fullback now. (John Leyba, The Denver Post)
in 2009, but focused more on defense with the return of starting fullback Peyton Hillis. But when Hillis was traded to Cleveland this offseason, Larsen rejoined the backfield.
Though he was listed at linebacker and fullback coming into training camp, he never donned the blue practice jerseys of defensive players. The linebacker tag was officially removed last week — to no one's surprise.

"Last year, he was kind of going both ways," linebacker Robert Ayers said. "And this year, he's been fullback, but we saw it coming."

The player who had spent most of his career hurling himself at running backs was now lead-blocking for them. But the transition has gone smoothly, according to running back Bruce Hall, who called Larsen a "steadying influence."

"He's a guy that you know every play is going to go in there every play and give it his all," Hall said. "He's going to go in there, make contact. He's going to go in there and thump."

The shift to fullback also has made Larsen learn the intricacies and responsibilities of his position — something he has dedicated himself to during training camp.

"I've kind of learned more instead of just running into somebody," he said. "I try to have better technique in opening up, getting my body out of the way when I'm blocking. A lot of times, I can be in the hole even though I had a good collision with him."

While Larsen is the lone Broncos fullback, he refuses to assume his roster spot is guaranteed. And given his new home in the Denver backfield, he wants to line up in that position, that stance, every day for years to come.
"I never feel comfortable like that, and you can never feel comfortable like that," Larsen said. "You use that as motivation. I have a family, and we're here, but I try to play as best I can so I can secure that spot."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15810475