PDA

View Full Version : Which is Denver's weakest postion right now?

broncofaninfla
08-18-2010, 09:23 AM
It's early, but in your opinion, what is the weakest postion on this team right now or which position should be addressed via a trade or free agency before the start of the season?

Ravage!!!
08-18-2010, 09:32 AM
This just hurt because I couldn't make up my mind between 5 different positions: RB, TE, WR, OL, or OLB.

Nomad
08-18-2010, 09:36 AM
I couldn't choose just one position but it's the first game afterall without many of the starters.

I guess this would be a better question after the first or second regular season game!!

NightTrainLayne
08-18-2010, 09:50 AM
I answered OL just due to the injuries we are hopefully getting out of the way before the regular season. After that, probably DL, then WR, but I think each of these units are looking up from last season if they can stay healthy. Depth at DL will certainly be an issue.

broncosinindy
08-18-2010, 10:05 AM
I am gonna go with WR. i like gafeny he is a steady vet. but it doesnt seem Orton and royal have much chemistry.. and i dont think much of lloyd as he is a hot and cold guy. Decker and thomas are rookies who are missing a extremeamount of time. who will most likely not contribute early

TXBRONC
08-18-2010, 10:10 AM
I am gonna go with WR. i like gafeny he is a steady vet. but it doesnt seem Orton and royal have much chemistry.. and i dont think much of lloyd as he is a hot and cold guy. Decker and thomas are rookies who are missing a extremeamount of time. who will most likely not contribute early

I was just thinking pretty much the same thing.

broncosinindy
08-18-2010, 10:14 AM
Good to see ya Tex and the rest of you guys i aint seen in a while

TXBRONC
08-18-2010, 10:22 AM
Good to see ya Tex and the rest of you guys i aint seen in a while

Thanks good see you to. :beer:

Northman
08-18-2010, 10:22 AM
Hard to say after one game and with some key players out. But definitely RB or LB.

horsepig
08-18-2010, 10:27 AM
WR, until the new guys show us something.

weazel
08-18-2010, 10:34 AM
The poll shouldn't have radio buttons, it should have yes or no boxes beside the positions... we are weak at way to many spots.

Buff
08-18-2010, 10:47 AM
I answered OL just due to the injuries we are hopefully getting out of the way before the regular season. After that, probably DL, then WR, but I think each of these units are looking up from last season if they can stay healthy. Depth at DL will certainly be an issue.

Depth at DL is the least of my concerns after adding Williams, Bannan and Green. I think that's our deepest position assuming no one gets hurt.

I'd say OLB is the most pressing concern since Doom and Moss went down. We'd be hurting pretty bad at CB if Champ or Goodman went out for any extended period too.

PAINTERDAVE
08-18-2010, 10:48 AM
Yeah... Thomas and Decker are missing a lot.

Drafting those guys already hurt... hmmmm.

Wonder how this strategy is gonna pan out.

On paper... they seem top shelf...

but we need guys who can play.

jhildebrand
08-18-2010, 10:51 AM
At this point I would have to say LB in general. Although the "Depth" on the D line doesn't appear to be real and that scares me.

broncofaninfla
08-18-2010, 11:04 AM
I went ILB but debated over going OLB, OL and RB. I don't have a rosey feeling with the ILB's right now, DJ is our best there but he isn't healthy. Woodyards is solid yet on the small side. With the vanilla pre-season defensive scheme, it's tough to tell what we have at OLB in terms of pass rush but with Doom out we def aren't as strong there as we were last year. The rushing game was bad Sunday, both the Ol and RB's looked bad in that respect.

Looks like we have a lot of questions at a lot of positions......

jhildebrand
08-18-2010, 11:10 AM
Well if there is anything to look forward to it should be the schedule. I think this team can improve more this year with the schedule it has.

Italianmobstr7
08-18-2010, 11:17 AM
I said TE. Graham is very good, but mainly at blocking. We don't have a pass catching TE with any experience at all, and Branson didn't impress me during the game. I've heard he hasn't been great in camp either. Same thing with Quinn. I'd day TE is our weakest position and by far. Places where people are injured dont bother me because with the exception of Doom they'll be ready by the regular season (or soon after it starts w Clady).

Slick
08-18-2010, 11:28 AM
WR and RB for me. Hopefully someone steps up and surprises us.

arapaho2
08-18-2010, 12:13 PM
i think we have alot of weakness...the poll should have said which side of the ball is the weakest

offense i would say

RB....moreno so far is nothing but hype, more than likely wont play much if at all in pre season, limited practise, without taking hits and being able to run, suspect conditioning for the reg season...after him who? the always injured buck with the same issues?...two so so backups in white and fargus....there is a big need for a solid rb who can carry the load AND BE EFFECTIVE

OL...i think if clady comes back and both he and harris stay healthy the line will be ok

WR..other than royal we have two passed around vets in gaff and lloyd. if we assume royal plays the slot can these two guys who have never been able to prove themselfs more than a capable #2 or #3 wrs carry the team? we drafted a injured wr in the first rd..who, surprise surprise has been unable to practise basicaly all summer, that also goes for decker. so given the common idea that rookie wrs dont contribute much for a couple yrs, we can safely assume they by missing so much time, that will not change.

Te...i beleive josh sending scheffler packing was a ego driven mistake. the only top total offense with out a great pass catching TE was NE..guess what they drafted two solid rec TEs. of the top 5 scoreing offes...all have top rec TEs...a big fast rec TE who can create mismatches is a big part of most solid offensive teams...

there are so many potential weaknesses on our offense its not even funny

Tempus Fugit
08-18-2010, 12:30 PM
OLB, and nothing is even close to that, for me.

Slick
08-18-2010, 12:44 PM
OLB, and nothing is even close to that, for me.

The Bruce Davis signing doesn't do it for you Tempus?

dogfish
08-18-2010, 12:48 PM
it's easily outside linebacker. . .

at least we have talent at WR and O-line, even if the guys are raw. . .

we need three or four solid guys at OLB, and beyond haggan we have none. . .

underrated29
08-18-2010, 01:14 PM
ILB for me....

Reasons why not elsewhere:

QB- stacked
WR- Set, gaff, royal,lloyd,dt,decker,stokes,willis
RB-STakced- know,buck,white,fargas
TE-fine- graham, Quinn (who looked good intc), branson-(who i thinkblows)
OL- STACKED!
DL- Good
DB- Stacked-champ,good,cox,nate,dawk,hill,mcbath,bruton

OLB- ok, but we too our ILB and moved them to OLB so they are ok....We have haggan and Ayers at OLB. Which is not too bad, could be A LOT better, but it is ok for the moment.

ILB- DJ and who? Akin ayodlelouuyaae- that guy looked not good to me in game 1. Mays- Did not look any better to me. Baraka- did he even play? Woody is good but he is not a run stuffer/thumper, and he backs up DJ.

So to me its ILB. I was sorely disappointed in our ILB last game. They did not plug the run lanes, and when they did they went to the wrong areas. They missed some tackles and were hesistant. While I understand being new, hesitation is going to occur, but ILB to me SUCKS!

If we can get DJ and darrel Reid and Jarvis back, which we should. Then IMO the ILB should be somewhat shored up and then weakest links slides over to OLB.

Tempus Fugit
08-18-2010, 01:17 PM
The Bruce Davis signing doesn't do it for you Tempus?

Probably just a longshot for special teams.

It's a training camp/end of roster type of move. The guy probably won't make the team, but it's not as if he's killing the Broncos by being player #80.

As high as I was on him ;), I'll still have to go with the OLBs.

Lonestar
08-18-2010, 02:21 PM
IMO our sore spot is and wiil be is a thumper at ILB, next will be a long term solution at safety and NT. If any or all is available next year in the draft I'll hope that we will spend a day one pick on them.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Lonestar
08-18-2010, 02:30 PM
I lnow many folks like DJ but IMHO he is an OLB in the 4-3. A great one there but nothing special as an ilb In the 3-4.

If we are looking for immediate help it would be OLB to match against ayers as I believe he will be special more and more as the years go on.

topscribe
08-18-2010, 02:55 PM
I lnow many folks like DJ but IMHO he is an OLB in the 4-3. A great one there but nothing special as an ilb In the 3-4.

If we are looking for immediate help it would be OLB to match against ayers as I believe he will be special more and more as the years go on.

I would like to see D.J. in the same spot for a second consecutive year before I
decide how good he is or is not in his present spot. What I would really like to
see is Haggan back inside. We may see that after Moss gets back (if he resumes
his improvement) or Reid gets back, where he had just begun to play well before
his injury. I believe with everyone healthy, OLB is very much a strength, even
without Dumervil.

Clady's absence from the OL has even a greater impact, IMO. He and Harris
may be two of the best, but we are quickly finding out that the talent level
drops precipitously behind them. So there, with two rookies - talented but
very much in a learning curve - the OL is the weakest position at this time,
IMO.

-----

TXBRONC
08-18-2010, 02:58 PM
D.J. lead the team in tackles without a legitimate nose tackle in front of him. He's fine at inside linebacker.

slim
08-18-2010, 02:59 PM
Missionary, IMO.

TXBRONC
08-18-2010, 03:01 PM
Missionary, IMO.

What are you talking about Slim?

slim
08-18-2010, 03:03 PM
What are you talking about Slim?

Nothing.

Carry on.

Lonestar
08-18-2010, 03:13 PM
I would like to see D.J. in the same spot for a second consecutive year before I
decide how good he is or is not in his present spot. What I would really like to
see is Haggan back inside. We may see that after Moss gets back (if he resumes
his improvement) or Reid gets back, where he had just begun to play well before
his injury. I believe with everyone healthy, OLB is very much a strength, even
without Dumervil.

Clady's absence from the OL has even a greater impact, IMO. He and Harris
may be two of the best, but we are quickly finding out that the talent level
drops precipitously behind them. So there, with two rookies - talented but
very much in a learning curve - the OL is the weakest position at this time,
IMO.

-----

I know that this comment will draw the IRE of many, but I'm not all that sure that Clady is so wonderful in a PBS scheme, he is an outstanding ZBS OLT but seemed to be lost there last year did not seem to dominate like he did the year before.

Maybe he will be alright next year when he is NOT protecting the QB blindside.

beadles IMHO was taken to be an OT and due to the Olsen twins failure to beat him out will probably wind up at OG.

Just how I see it. maybe it is much ado about nothing just I see that problem area.

Ravage!!!
08-18-2010, 03:42 PM
Clady is the best OL we have on the team... period. He absolutely was not a weakness protecting the 'backside.' Unless Tebow shows he can be an NFL QB, he'll still be protecting the backside.

TXBRONC
08-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Clady is the best OL we have on the team... period. He absolutely was not a weakness protecting the 'backside.' Unless Tebow shows he can be an NFL QB, he'll still be protecting the backside.

Not only is he the best offensive line on our team he's also an ALL-PRO.

Ravage!!!
08-18-2010, 04:10 PM
Not only is he the best offensive line on our team he's also an ALL-PRO.

But only suited for the ZBS. Can you imagine if we trade away Clady, as well? :shocked: I mean, he's making LT money and could be protecting a left handed QB. He won't be worth that kind of money.... we should trade him away soon.

Sconnie Bronco
08-19-2010, 12:23 PM
NT, RB, and C.

I know they signed Williams but he's 34 and an injury risk on top of that. Fields is ok but not on the level youd want for a 3-4 NT.

Moreno hasnt shown much yet and its also a little alarming that he had the injury he did. Hamstrings often recur too.

Walton could eventually be good but he's a rookie.

TXBRONC
08-19-2010, 12:37 PM
But only suited for the ZBS. Can you imagine if we trade away Clady, as well? :shocked: I mean, he's making LT money and could be protecting a left handed QB. He won't be worth that kind of money.... we should trade him away soon.

I trust my own eyes and the evaluations of people who are paid to KNOW offensive linemen.

Bosco
08-19-2010, 02:45 PM
But only suited for the ZBS. How?

I mean, he's making LT money and could be protecting a left handed QB. He won't be worth that kind of money.... we should trade him away soon. Doesn't matter. He'll still be facing the defense's best pass rusher as very few, if any, flip their pass rushers when playing lefties.

claymore
08-19-2010, 02:54 PM
McD doesnt have the juice left to trade Clady.

TXBRONC
08-19-2010, 07:55 PM

How?

Doesn't matter. He'll still be facing the defense's best pass rusher as very few, if any, flip their pass rushers when playing lefties.

I'm pretty sure he's being sarcastic.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-20-2010, 05:38 AM
OLB. With Dumervil sidelined indefinitely (probably for the season) there isn't one guy who's established himself as a true pass rusher, yet. Without a pass rush, our LBs and Secondary won't be anywhere near as good as they were last year vs the pass and we'll look like we did vs the Bengals in the second half of Sunday's game once our older secondary wears down. The key to our secondary's greatness last year was the pass rush, allowing them to make some plays, and getting off the field quickly. Without a pass rush, we're in trouble.

Seeing as how all the other positions have starters likely to return by the first regular season game or thereabouts, OLB was the choice for me. Unless Ayers becomes more than a training camp hero and/or Jarvis Moss steps up his game, I still think we're in trouble in this department.

Cugel
08-20-2010, 12:57 PM
Frankly, I'm torn. There are so many potential holes it's hard to quantify.

I voted for WR because of the giant sucking hole Marshall's departure leaves. There's no true #1 because Royal is always going to be a good slot WR, and the others are retreads. There's NOBODY who really scares the defense. Rookie WRs NEVER do much their first year so don't expect much there.

But, there are lots of other candidates. OLB -- without Doom this season there's NOBODY who's proven they can rush the passer. Ayers has shown well in pre-season which means squat. In pre-season you're often going against guys who will be installing dry-wall when the season starts.

Secondary -- Safety is a concern. Dawkins proved he still had it -- last year, but age is a concern and there's little depth at CB. Champ Bailey has had a lot of injuries over recent years and he's not getting any younger either (which means he's likely to be hurt MORE rather than less).

OL hasn't performed well at all since McDaniels in his infinite wisdom abandoned the ZBS system that had Denver near the top of the league in rushing every season. Clady is hopefully going to return healthy in time for the season, but he didn't look great in his first season in the new system. He's still young, and immensely talented so presumably he learns to be effective in the new system this season.

I have to believe he can do the job but behind him and Harris there's -- exactly who? Nobody much. I wouldn't worry about him playing LT because Orton is going to start this season and probably next as well (the Broncos didn't give him $9 million to sit him on the bench).

That's a start as for concerns. This team in all fairness has more question marks than answers at this point. :coffee:

underrated29
08-20-2010, 01:22 PM
Walton could eventually be good but he's a rookie.

So what does that have to do with anything. Clady came in and Dominated as a rookie. So did ryan harris (his 2nd year cuz he was hurt year 1)

JD is a stud and will be a stud right out of the gate. He is heads and shoulders above weigman last year. I still fail to even come close to how people do not see how bad our C play was last year and expect JD who is bigger, younger, stronger to not perform better.

underrated29
08-20-2010, 01:23 PM

I voted for WR because of the giant sucking hole Marshall's departure leaves. There's no true #1 because Royal is always going to be a good slot WR, and the others are retreads. There's NOBODY who really scares the defense. Rookie WRs NEVER do much their first year so don't expect much there.

But, there are lots of other candidates. OLB -- without Doom this season there's NOBODY who's proven they can rush the passer. Ayers has shown well in pre-season which means squat. In pre-season you're often going against guys who will be installing dry-wall when the season starts.

Secondary -- Safety is a concern. Dawkins proved he still had it -- last year, but age is a concern and there's little depth at CB. Champ Bailey has had a lot of injuries over recent years and he's not getting any younger either (which means he's likely to be hurt MORE rather than less).

OL hasn't performed well at all since McDaniels in his infinite wisdom abandoned the ZBS system that had Denver near the top of the league in rushing every season. Clady is hopefully going to return healthy in time for the season, but he didn't look great in his first season in the new system. He's still young, and immensely talented so presumably he learns to be effective in the new system this season.

I have to believe he can do the job but behind him and Harris there's -- exactly who? Nobody much. I wouldn't worry about him playing LT because Orton is going to start this season and probably next as well (the Broncos didn't give him $9 million to sit him on the bench).

That's a start as for concerns. This team in all fairness has more question marks than answers at this point. :coffee:

Let me guess- cugs- you are one of the peeps that think we will win 5 games this year right?

Bosco
08-20-2010, 01:52 PM
I voted for WR because of the giant sucking hole Marshall's departure leaves. There's no true #1 because Royal is always going to be a good slot WR And McDaniels' slot receiver in New England has three straight years of 100+ catches.

Rookie WRs NEVER do much their first year so don't expect much there. Eddie Royal, Randy Moss, Ashley Lelie, Roy Williams, Calvin Johnson and many others disagree.

Safety is a concern. How?

Lonestar
08-20-2010, 02:18 PM

In a spread Offense there is often NO #1 wr but a bunch of WRs that catch a lot of balls.

where is it written that the pass rush has to come from ONE spot , most 3-4 defenses bring it from a different spot on the front 7 each time to keep the oline out of whack. When they only see it from doom then it is easy to take him out of the picture .

as for Champ I suspect the conditioning of years past were more responsible then the actual age factor IIRC he palyed in all games last year.

the infinite wisdom of Josh is only proven out that NO ZBS team is a consistent winner without HOF RB and QB's of years past. ZBS is a gimmick that only works well between tehe 20's unless I missed something.the past decade.

turftoad
08-20-2010, 05:58 PM
In a spread Offense there is often NO #1 wr but a bunch of WRs that catch a lot of balls.

where is it written that the pass rush has to come from ONE spot , most 3-4 defenses bring it from a different spot on the front 7 each time to keep the oline out of whack. When they only see it from doom then it is easy to take him out of the picture .

as for Champ I suspect the conditioning of years past were more responsible then the actual age factor IIRC he palyed in all games last year.

the infinite wisdom of Josh is only proven out that NO ZBS team is a consistent winner without HOF RB and QB's of years past. ZBS is a gimmick that only works well between tehe 20's unless I missed something.the past decade.

Josh's infinite wisdom?? :confused: :laugh:

TXBRONC
08-20-2010, 08:43 PM

I know of only one person with infinite wisdom and Josh McDaniels is not him. :lol:

Lonestar
08-20-2010, 10:07 PM
OL hasn't performed well at all since McDaniels in his infinite wisdom abandoned the ZBS system that had Denver near the top of the league in rushing every season.

I was using cugels terms on this, I think the following proves that out.

the infinite wisdom of Josh is only proven out, that NO ZBS team is a consistent winner without HOF RB and QB's of years past. ZBS is a gimmick that only works well between the 20's unless I missed something.the past decade.

now how is that not perfectly clear.