PDA

View Full Version : Would the Broncos trade a CB to Baltimore?

rationalfan
08-17-2010, 10:16 PM
this should get the armchair GMs jumping and jivin'.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/17/ozzie-newsome-we-havent-talked-to-broncos-about-cornerbacks/

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
08-17-2010, 10:19 PM
Yea let's trade Champ as long as we get Ray Rice and Boldin back along with a few draft picks

underrated29
08-17-2010, 10:20 PM
we already have a thread about it. But simply put, no way in hell.

Tned
08-17-2010, 10:22 PM
We may have a surplus of CB's, but arguably not a surplus of CB's capable of starting or playing the nickel. When you factor in what will likely be an impaired pass rush (no Doom), I don't see either starter being traded, and I think you hope the guy we signed (drawing a blank) and Cox fill the nickel and dime, and then beyond that, the other guys likely won't bring much value or be what Baltimore is looking for.

broncobryce
08-17-2010, 10:33 PM
Yeah, I brought this up awhile back, when we needed a RB.

Northman
08-17-2010, 10:33 PM
Bmore would probably only give up a pick at best and i doubt it would be a first rounder for anyone we have. Although they have some problems at DB they dont seem to be shakin in their boots too much right now.

UnderArmour
08-17-2010, 10:53 PM
Alphonso Smith for a 4th rounder would be a steal for us.

FanInAZ
08-17-2010, 11:00 PM
Yea let's trade Champ as long as we get Ray Rice and Boldin back along with a few draft picks

You seriously wouldn't trade Champ for Rice? He's a 2nd year back who may already be one of the leagues top 5. If not yet, give him another year or 2. Even though Champ is by no means over the hill, Rice will still be playing (maybe at a pro bowl level) long after Champ has retired. Baltimore would be foolish to make such a trade.

silkamilkamonico
08-17-2010, 11:01 PM

I'm thinking the same. Thought Smith looked irrelevant at best in mop up duty against 3rd-4th teamers.

BORDERLINE
08-18-2010, 01:17 AM
i read champs name and i tought hellll no!!!! you guys are right about a.smith but no thank you...did we not see champ handle the VH1 brothers sunday???i would be P.O'd if they made such a trade...

PAINTERDAVE
08-18-2010, 01:49 AM
Trade ChamP?

No freaking way.

He is at the top of his game.

He has another 2 or 3 years left as a CB and then he will be a great safety beyond that.

His athleticism is only eclipsed by his understanding of the game.
He has so much he can teach the youngers ones.

Denver has been spoiled having him here.
We expect EXCELLENT play at the CB position... because he has delivered the goods consistantly.

I Champ leaves...
we will find out all about the INCONSISTANCY at CB the rest of the league puts up with year in and out.

Trade him away?

Sign the man. Pay the man. Offer him a job coaching when his playing days are done.

Lonestar
08-18-2010, 01:50 AM
this should get the armchair GMs jumping and jivin'.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/17/ozzie-newsome-we-havent-talked-to-broncos-about-cornerbacks/

Ozzie Newsome: We haven't talked to Broncos about cornerbacks
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 17, 2010 8:58 PM ET
There's been a decent amount of speculation in Baltimore that the Ravens could try to make a deal with the Broncos, who appears on paper to have a surplus of cornerbacks.

We're not sure how much meat there is or ever was to this bone, but Ravens G.M. Ozzie Newsome says he hasn't spoken with the Broncos, according to Mike Preston of the Baltimore Sun.

Preston throws out Andre Goodman (doubtful) and Champ Bailey (very doubtful) as possibilities, and notes that preseason trades don't usually happen until after the second preseason game.

We doubt anything of significance will happen at all because teams rarely ever trade a player worth keeping, unless there is a big contract issue involved.

SOCALORADO.
08-18-2010, 07:58 AM
Ozzie Newsome: We haven't talked to Broncos about cornerbacks
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 17, 2010 8:58 PM ET
There's been a decent amount of speculation in Baltimore that the Ravens could try to make a deal with the Broncos, who appears on paper to have a surplus of cornerbacks.

We're not sure how much meat there is or ever was to this bone, but Ravens G.M. Ozzie Newsome says he hasn't spoken with the Broncos, according to Mike Preston of the Baltimore Sun.

Preston throws out Andre Goodman (doubtful) and Champ Bailey (very doubtful) as possibilities, and notes that preseason trades don't usually happen until after the second preseason game.

We doubt anything of significance will happen at all because teams rarely ever trade a player worth keeping, unless there is a big contract issue involved.

If there was a trade i think it would be for Alphie.
Hes a high risk/reward guy for BALT so they wouldnt give much up, and i dont think Josh is totally done with him yet, even though most of us have seen the writing on the wall for him. Ultimately i think BALT would want a veteran to come in, and as good as Cox has looked in practice, well its practice. I am glad he has shown hes a solid pick, but he needs more time on the filed before any of us can totally say giving up Goodman or Champ was worth it.

Tned
08-18-2010, 08:04 AM
You seriously wouldn't trade Champ for Rice? He's a 2nd year back who may already be one of the leagues top 5. If not yet, give him another year or 2. Even though Champ is by no means over the hill, Rice will still be playing (maybe at a pro bowl level) long after Champ has retired. Baltimore would be foolish to make such a trade.

I'm not sure I would make a Champ/Rice trade, but in what little I saw of Rice last year, he was impressive.

Ravage!!!
08-18-2010, 09:56 AM
Since is pure dreaming anyway....yes, I would trade Champ for Rice. We traded a top RB for a CB a number of years ago, and at this stage of the game I would make a trade again, but in reverse.

Traveler
08-18-2010, 10:03 AM
Foolish speculation IMO, but I guess it's something to generate a football discussion.

TXBRONC
08-18-2010, 10:06 AM
The article indicates Bailey and Goodman as the corners that the Ravens would want. Champ is still a top flight corner and Goodman is very solid that's fine. I wouldn't do it with circumstances we're faced with. Right now we don't know if enough players will be able to step and replace the pass rush void we have with Dumervil sidelined. So imho it's very important to avoid weak links in the secondary if at all possible.

Now if they were interested in someone like Alphonso Smith I would be ok with making a trade since that doesn't seem to be the case forget it.

weazel
08-18-2010, 11:11 AM

I make fun of Shanahan drafting Clarret all the time, but that Smith pick after trading away a first has to be one of the worst picks of all time!

jhildebrand
08-18-2010, 12:14 PM
I make fun of Shanahan drafting Clarret all the time, but that Smith pick after trading away a first has to be one of the worst picks of all time!

If they could move him to Baltimore for any considerable value that would certainly lessen the blow to some extent.

LRtagger
08-18-2010, 12:35 PM
The only consideration for trading Champ is he's in the last year of his deal and wants to be paid top CB money for another 2-3 years. The way Nnamdi and Revis have manipulated the market, I would say Champ might be too expensive for us to keep after this year anyways. A trade could be a consideration.

LRtagger
08-18-2010, 12:40 PM

I think the Jarvis Moss pick was worse than both. We gave up three picks to move up 4 spots to get that scrub.

At least Clarret was selected with a comp pick.

rationalfan
08-18-2010, 01:50 PM
we already have a thread about it. But simply put, no way in hell.

really? apparently my browser doesn't display that thread. and if the topic is being addressed in a thread started as a different topic, why keep it buried?

slim
08-18-2010, 02:00 PM
Yes, I think they would.

WhatEver!!!
08-18-2010, 02:31 PM
Why not trade a corner for a DE/LB to help the front lines while Doom is out for most of the year?? That would make a Goodman or Smith trade taste better for me??

dogfish
08-18-2010, 04:05 PM
The only consideration for trading Champ is he's in the last year of his deal and wants to be paid top CB money for another 2-3 years. The way Nnamdi and Revis have manipulated the market, I would say Champ might be too expensive for us to keep after this year anyways. A trade could be a consideration.

as pissed off as some people still are about cutler and marshall, i'm pretty sure irate fans would burn mcD's house down if he traded champ this year. . . :laugh:

slim
08-18-2010, 04:07 PM
as pissed off as some people still are about cutler and marshall, i'm pretty sure irate fans would burn mcD's house down if he traded champ this year. . . :laugh:

Clay would have to rethink his hate for McD, though.

So it may be worth it.

TXBRONC
08-18-2010, 04:18 PM
Clay would have to rethink his hate for McD, though.

So it may be worth it.

That might be so but he would considerably less entertaining and then we would have to trade him as well. :lol:

spikerman
08-18-2010, 05:02 PM
They might as well consider it. If Denver can't find a pass rush it won't matter who is playing CB, they're going to get chewed up. Even the best corners can't cover for more than a few seconds.

Buff
08-18-2010, 05:32 PM
Just because we have a lot of bodies at CB doesn't mean we have a surplus of talent.

jhildebrand
08-18-2010, 06:37 PM
It is peculiar Champ sat out practice today!

I wonder if Baltimore made some kind of offer. They know Champ wants to be paid and contend. Maybe he approached the team.

Definitely interesting. I am sure I am WAY over speculating but its all we got right now.

Jagsbch
08-18-2010, 06:37 PM
This is a pass happy league, no way in hell we trade Champ.

Buff
08-18-2010, 07:28 PM
It is peculiar Champ sat out practice today!

I wonder if Baltimore made some kind of offer. They know Champ wants to be paid and contend. Maybe he approached the team.

Definitely interesting. I am sure I am WAY over speculating but its all we got right now.

We just paid Champ $12 mil to stick around. No one is taking on that cap number and we damn sure wouldn't have paid him that much only to trade him.

dogfish
08-18-2010, 07:51 PM
We just paid Champ $12 mil to stick around. No one is taking on that cap number and we damn sure wouldn't have paid him that much only to trade him.

there's no cap this year. . . :listen:

aside from that, i agree that we aren't trading him. . .

Buff
08-18-2010, 07:52 PM
:doh:

I knew that.

dogfish
08-18-2010, 07:52 PM
Just because we have a lot of bodies at CB doesn't mean we have a surplus of talent.

whoever wins our nickel and dime spots this year looks like they're going to do so mostly by default. . . of course, i'd be delighted if we could trick them into giving us something for alphonso smith. . .

G_Money
08-18-2010, 11:33 PM
i'd be delighted if we could trick them into giving us something for alphonso smith. . .

/cosign.

He's a terrible tackler and hitter to go with his terrible coverage skills.

Please send him to B-More. It makes me angry to watch him play.

Sorry, "play."

~G

Sconnie Bronco
08-19-2010, 11:50 AM
I wouldnt mind trading a CB for one of their NTs like Ngata or Cody.