PDA

View Full Version : Tebow Rookie NFL Preseason Debut: An In-Depth Evaluation Of His Play

Lonestar
08-17-2010, 09:21 PM
im Tebow Rookie NFL Preseason Debut: An In-Depth Evaluation Of His Play
By Mihir Bhagat (Featured Columnist) on August 15, 2010

bleacherreport

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
In sports today, there are a select few professional athletes who are constantly under the spotlight, such as Peyton Manning, LeBron James, and Tiger Woods.

When Tebow, arguably the most hyped rookie in NFL history, was surprisingly taken by the Denver Broncos with the 25th overall selection in this year's draft, we could officially add him to that list of celebrities.

Whether it be his $33 million contract, the fact that his jersey was ranked atop the highest selling, or how his teammates decided to offer him a dose of rookie hazing by giving him a Friar Tuck-like haircut, he's simply dominated the headlines all over sports.

Today, he took his next step in stardom as he made his official preseason debut against the Cincinnati Bengals.

Despite top-notch intangibles, many are projecting him to struggle and be a backup early on in his career primarily due to questionable mechanics.

However, in contrary to what his critics have to say, he played relatively well.

Following an impressive two touchdown start by Kyle Orton, the Broncos put in Brady Quinn, whom they traded for earlier this offseason. He had a pathetic outing, posting a 14.6 passer rating.

Therefore, as Quinn was largely responsible for quickly turning their 14-0 lead into a 17-23 deficit and was subsequently placed on the bench, it was apparently time for Tebow to take the field.

Interestingly, when he entered the game with 4:48 left in the third quarter, the former Gator star quarterback was met with a mixed response from the Bengals' crowd.

His first play in the NFL was a play-action swing pass to Marquez Branson for five yards.

Note, that the pass was thrown with the infamous long wind up, a trait that played a major factor in the initial doubt surrounding his transition to the pro game.

Then, a handoff to Bruce Hall for no gain put Tebow in a tough third and five situation. Ensuing, he took the snap out of the shotgun and delivered a perfect strike to Matt Willis down the deep right side of the field. Unfortunately, what could have been his first big-time highlight, resulted in a dropped pass. Therefore, his first series resulted in a three and out.

After the defense surrendered a one-yard rushing touchdown by James Johnson, Tim Tebow was brought on for Act Two of his debut.

For the first time in the NFL, he faced a true obstacle.

The Broncos were being outscored 30-3 since the one minute mark in the first quarter, and needed a drive.

Instead, Tebow led another three and out series. On the other hand, he did show some flashes of promise and tremendous strength as he avoided a sack on second down and made a nice seven yard pass to Britt Davis.

How Would You Rate Tim Tebow's Performance Tonight?

A
B
C
D or F
Submit Vote vote to see results
Following, yet another, score by the Bengals, Tebow took the field for the third time; down by 16 points with only 5:35 remaining. At this point, he completed two of his four pass attempts for twelve yards, equating a 56.3 passer rating.

However, as opposed to answering their prayers, he contributed to their demise by running his first memorable drive.

He started off by not feeling the pass rush and throwing an ill-advised pass that was almost intercepted by a linebacker.

Two plays later, he stuck it to tight end Arlic Arnett for a 21-yard gain, showing his understanding of the game by throwing it to the defenders back.

On the next play, he rolled to the right, but was sacked by Atkins. On the bright side, he demonstrated discipline by taking the hit as opposed to throwing the ball.

Unfortunately, he was smashed by a defender after failing to recognize the blitz. If it weren't for a successful Broncos challenge, it would have resulted in a fumble returned for a touchdown.

With little to play for, they decided to give him an opportunity to gain some learning experience.

Facing a fourth and 11, the center gave him a bad snap, he took off with, yet turned the ball over on downs.

On his final drive, he effectively ran the two-minute offense, which is a great sign of his development. He went through his progressions, took what the defense gave him, and threw sharp check-down passes.

Then, with three seconds to go, he refused to give up and scrambled into the end zone for a seven yard touchdown score.

With that, the game came to an end.

So, to recap, I felt it was a solid performance from Tebow. He completed eight of his thirteen passes for 105 yards and his passer rating was 87.0. Moreover, he got his first taste of an NFL end zone.

Obviously, he had the typical rookie challenges to overcome. Nonetheless, he displayed his toughness, and showed us all his potential to be great. Honestly, based on what I've seen and what I expect to see from him, I wouldn't be surprised to see Tebow eventually take over the No. 2 spot on the depth chart behind Kyle Orton.

Despite my skepticism towards the undeserving publicity he receives on insignificant matters, I firmly believe he can be successful in the NFL and I wish him the best of luck moving forward with his career.

FlagLike (6)
Denver Broncos: Like this team?
More Articles You'll Like
Tim Tebow: 10 Reasons He's Already Bigger Than John ElwayTim Tebow: 10 Reasons He'll Start Game One of the NFL Regular SeasonGlen Coffee All-Stars: 10 Running Backs Who Retired Too Early

or sign up to post this comment
79 Comments

My Dad's Son posted 2 days ago
Great article, Mihir. You're certainly taking over with the hits on the NFL page lately!

Very solid coverage of this former collegiate superstar. Though he may not deserve all of this hype, it's nice to see someone of his character focused under the spotlight.

I thought he played well overall and the exhilerating last-second touchdown was a great way to cap off the night. I wish him the best in the NFL, and you in professional writing, because you're almost there. Nice work bud.

Reply 0 likes
Mihir Bhagat posted 2 days ago
Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.

Yeah, I've become the #1 ranked writer for the NFL and I plan to maintain that position.

No doubt Tebow had a very nice performance today. I think he proved some doubters wrong.

By the way, how's the site coming along?

Reply 0 likes
My Dad's Son posted 2 days ago
I think Tebow's on a never-ending quest to continue to prove the doubters wrong. Things are moving along, thanks for asking. Best case scenario will be to have it out tommorrow, the same day Sports Illustrated was started, 56 years later. But we'll see.

Reply 0 likes
@My Dad's Son: Or that could just be how the media perceives it. I think people like Tebow have different goals in mind. The greats have a mentality that is unparalleled to any of us.

That's cool. Yeah, good luck with everything. If you ever need any help or contributions, let me know. Plus, when the sites launched be sure to send me the link. I wanna check it out.

Reply 1 like
Autumn Wind posted 1 day ago
@Mihir: Tebow still just scored against third teamers in garbage time.
The guy has a long way to go.

Reply 0 likes
Mihir Bhagat posted 1 day ago
@Autumn: It was more the way he played, acting as if every down was critical, that impressed me

Reply 1 like
Steven Resnick posted 2 days ago
Tebow played just how I thought he would and that he needs a lot of work. Any Bronco fan who believes he outperformed Brady Quinn is living under a rock or has Tebow blinders on. He was lucky he wasn't picked off twice and even more lucky that the fumble was ruled an incompletion even though he was moving his arm forward to tuck the ball in and run not throw the football.

Tebow scored one meaningless touchdown as time expired, but it only happened because there was no pressure around him.

As for your assertion that Tebow ran the two-minute offense successfully that's just not true for the last five and a half minutes of the game the Broncos were in the two-minute offense. All, the Broncos managed to do was turn the ball over on downs the first time.

With bad time management by the Bengals it gave Tebow one last shot on the field. He ran the offense as the Bengals said forget about pressuring Tebow and let the Broncos have a ton of yards.

By far his performance at best got a D. He has so much learning to do at the position, also it was a meaningless preseason game and he got hit hard as he was going for the touchdown.

I'm pretty sure Josh McDaniels was happy he got the touchdown, but would appreciate him not giving himself a shot at being hurt in that situation.
===================

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/436584-tim-tebow-rookie-nfl-preseason-debut-an-in-depth-evaluation-of-his-play?utm_source=newsletter

Reply 0 likes
I thought Tebow ran the offense much more efficiently than Quinn did. Honestly, in my opinion, Quinn looked lost.

I think the touchdown and how he handled the final few minutes of a meaningless preseason game were great. Most quarterbacks would just hand the ball off and get out of there, but he played hard. Him getting hurt shows his toughness.

I completely agree though. He's got a long ways to go.

I gave his performance a B-

Reply 1 like
TT Fan posted 1 day ago
Some folks just prefer to see the rose instead of the thorns, and I'm one of those. I think Tebow did just fine for his NFL debut, but yes, he's just a rookie learning the system and speed of the NFL. It will come, and at least when he went in for his turn, he didn't throw three interceptions like Orton did last year, with five years of experience. Orton is doing much better this year, and I think Tebow will continue to improve as well, as well as Quinn. Just give him a chance.

Reply 1 like
Curtis Wampler posted 1 day ago
The other aspect of that is that people are hating while grading and not giving him the credit he deserves. I only saw about a half a dozen snaps, but he stayed in the pocket, kept his head up, and his throws were largely on target.

Compared to Sam Bradford's initial performance I would still rate Tebow ahead at this point. Bradford was less composed, collapsed in the pocket (although the Rams O line was not doing him any favors), and gave up on plays way too early. Not to say Bradford didn't make a few good throws, but his performance did not give me great hope for my Rams in the short term. Nice arm, but can't complete a pass when you are looking down in the grass.

Reply 0 likes
Fantasy football Dynasty posted 1 day ago
Cheap last TD I agree. I think your assessment is fair-maybe a little low. Too many people are actually grading potential and not the performance. Myself included.

Reply 0 likes
I'm grading the performance. Even against the 3rd string defense, a 87.0 passer rating is solid.

Reply 0 likes
Ima Nut posted about 6 hours ago
Stop deleting my posts Steve R.

Reply 0 likes
Steven Resnick posted 2 days ago
Just a quick note it's ill-advised pass instead of unadvised.

Reply 0 likes
Thanks for that. I had a feeling I was wording it wrong. It's fixed now.

Reply 0 likes
Matt 'Frostin' Foote posted 2 days ago
C, it could have been better, but it could have been a whole lot worse as well

Reply 0 likes
Yeah, thats a great way of putting it. I'd grade him in that C+/B- range.

Reply 0 likes
Prajit Ramaprasad posted 2 days ago
With the whole only able to use the 3rd QB in the 4th half...look for Quinn to drop to #3 in a couple weeks. I think we'll see from practices and games that Tebow is only a little behind or even a little ahead of Quinn in terms of proficiency in this offense, and that is where his versatility maybe in some other positions in unique situations really come in.

That being said he played against what? 3rd Stringers? I'll wait for a little more sample size before I get anymore excited. But it was a good start.

Reply 0 likes
Yeah, Tebow's still got a long ways to go. I have a strong feeling he will eventually be the #2 guy.

Reply 0 likes
Sh Ba posted 2 days ago
I did not watch this game however I felt that this article did a pretty good job in reporting Tebow's performance. Good work!

Reply 0 likes
Thanks. I encourage you to try and catch the highlights, just to get a feel of how he played.

Reply 0 likes
Officer Powell posted 1 day ago
Do you feel any shame? Over such a hallucinogenic contribution?

Reply 0 likes
Papo Longoria posted 2 days ago
Good article and observations. Glad to hear you are young and mature enough to ask for feedback on your article. Writing alone doesn't make you better. Read and learn from other journalists, good and bad ones. You learn from them both, as in learn the good points from the good ones to use in the future, and learn from the bad ones to know what not to do. I am not critiqueing it, as I know nothing about journalism, just giving advice. Overall I liked it.

Reply 1 like
Thanks for the feedback and advice. I'll definitely put it into consideration.

Reply 0 likes
Papo Longoria posted 2 days ago
Its all about the system. I love the way Orton just plays the game. He may not have all the physical tools needed for a prototypical QB, but neither did Joe Montana. But they learned the system and just played. He was our best option last year, "IS" our best option this year, and in my heart of hearts the Broncos should try and re-sign him.

As for Quinn, he has all the tools, but he has been steered the wrong way his whole career. In college he was the #1 QB on the depth chart, so he got al the reps he needed to succeed. In the pros, he had to sit and learn from people who aren't half the QB he is, and in Cleveland none the less. At his time in Cleveland, I wouldn't run that offense in high school. Name a QB in the past 20 years that succeeded to the expectations that were prematurely bestowed on them, that sat behind a decent or great QB, besides Steve Young? Manning, Rothlesberger, McNabb, Elway were all thrown into the fire and look at the success they had. My belief if Quinn were to go to a team, a trade to Buffalo when Elvis went down for Schoebl would have been ideal, and he gets the #1 QB on the depth chart and is allowed a whole OTA's, training camp and preseason, he could be successful. He needs a coach that shows trust, faith, and confidence in him, just like Charlie Weis did. (Although not now, as Weis is with the chefs, great googly moogly)

Tebow will be alright, despite the knock on his mechanics. I remember the late 80's when two ugly throwing QB's dueled it out in the playoffs year after year, in AFC Championships none the less, in Elway and Kosar. Elways half sidearm delivery, ill advised passes across the field and across his body led to him being the interception leader when he retired. He was also great with his legs, as is Tebow. With all the flaws that Elways possessed, he also was the wins leader, 2 time Super Bowl winner, and MVP. If we dont re-sign Orton at the end of this year, Damn it all to hell and make Tebow our starting QB next year, he may end up a left handed Elway for years to come. I can live the next 15 years watching that.

Reply 1 like
Mike Walker posted 2 days ago
he did throw one ball running to his right that looked really good

Reply 0 likes
how desperate can you be, man?

Reply 0 likes
Fantasy football Dynasty posted 1 day ago
He looked good rolling to his left. His play-fake looked like Boomer Esiason!

Reply 0 likes
Ian Harrison posted 1 day ago
I hate the University of Florida. I'm not a fan of Urban Meyer.

Tim Tebow will be a GREAT player in this league, bar injuries. His ability to tuck and run as a quarterback is unfounded. It's not like Vick where he makes you miss, he has the uncanny ability to run right into any defender without any fear.

It may take a while for it to happen, but he will be great.

Reply 0 likes
Captain Cruzan posted 1 day ago
so, you think he'll be a great fullback?

Reply 0 likes
He will have to learn how to be a conventional quarterback as well though.

Reply 0 likes
Mark S posted 1 day ago
Not a bad article.

But the problem I have is that many people blame Tebow or just plain "hate" on Tebow for things he cannot control. Such as the media hype. He is not calling press conferences or trying to put his name out there for attention. That is the sports networks (or should I say network?).

To attempt to get any kind of decent analysis of his or Quinn's capabilities, you would have to see them play with the first string players. Otherwise it is not really a total evaluation.

For example, there were a couple of passes by Quinn where it looked like the WR did the wrong thing or they both were not on the same page.

It is was too early to make any judgments of Tebow's future abilities. Any kind of judgments of him now fall into the knee jerk category. Many QBs struggled their early years (Elway, Manning, etc.).

This article furthers my point about the media putting out stories about Tebow and continuing to build the hype.

It will always be like that for the young man and there is not much he can do. Newspapers have to be sold and higher ratings must be achieved.

And young writers must have stories to write about.

I do not blame you as I think you are doing a great job.

But for Tebow, it is a way of life.

Reply 1 like
robert belford posted 1 day ago
Manning had 27 touchdowns 25 intercepcions with 4000 yards his rookie year and then got 30 touchdowns with 14 intercepcions and over 4000 yards his second year.

Reply 0 likes
Thanks for the feedback.

I don't blame Tebow for his undeserved publicity. As you said, it's not his fault. It's the medias.

Reply 1 like
This article proves that you can be disingenuous enough, to make a dead-horse appear to be winner indeed. Tebow sucked. That throwing motion haunts and I still can't believe that they gave this guy $33-million

Reply 0 likes
H. Pell posted 1 day ago
Guess you have expressed your opinion sufficiently on Tebow. But your clear misstatement of fact undercuts your opinion, and makes you appear to be just a biased commentator. No one gave Tebow 33 million. The figure you mention is related to incentives IF Tebow starts a certain number of games, and IF the Broncos go deep into the playoffs.

Reply 1 like
H. Pell posted 1 day ago
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/29/tim-tebow-will-not-make-33-million/

Reply 0 likes
Please show me, where you can predict the future. If not, please do not use any dishonest, article-writing principles nor concepts, for interacting with me here.

Lets cut the crapola, Tebow got a contract for $33-million. Period. And no smokescreen you put up, will change that.

So lets deal with that reality.

Because I am sure when Haynesworth signed has mega-deal or when Revis is done signing his; we won't talk about the incentives and clauses which will prevent from making the full value of contracts-----we'll continue ONLY to talk in terms of full value of that contract's number, in order to attack players then.

Your disingenuous is still reigning, and I hope you dethrone it soon.

Reply 1 like
@Officer: His guaranteed money is all you can really consider which is just under ten million over five years I believe.

Reply 1 like
Melvin Marshall posted 1 day ago
@Officer: It's not about predicting the future. It's like any other job that gives out an incentive bonus. At the end of the year you meet your quota you get paid extra on top of your Salary.

Reply 1 like
Martha Benton posted about 1 hour ago
Officer Powell: Tim Tebow has not been given anything, he must earn it. Given time, he will prove all the naysayers wrong. If you had watched him play during his four years at UF, you would understand why all Gators love Tebow. It was awesome to watch he and the rest of the Gator Football team, play as a team. His throwing motion at UF, that so many comment about, proves he can play football with determination. Now he is at the next level. You must give each rookie in the NFL their chance to prove themselves. No doubt, Tim Tebow will.

Reply 0 likes
Larry Creasy posted 1 day ago
I would vote for Tebow!

Reply 0 likes
Haha for what?

Reply 0 likes
H. Pell posted 1 day ago
Nice post, Mihir. It will be interesting to read the comments of the naysayers this morning. Evidently, when he threw the long pass down the sideline (that was dropped), it was a miracle that no defender could "easily" strip the ball as he was "winding up"! Second miracle, that he actually can pass the ball down the field with accuracy--the ball dropped right over the defender to the receiver running full speed. And again, that he was actually able to run the ball into the end zone without some linebacker--who are SO much faster than college linebackers, actually knocking Tebow out before he could get to the endzone, because they are SO much bigger as well! I'm assuming that the naysayers will say profoundly intelligent things like "he sucks" and "he can't play in the NFL" . . .

Reply 0 likes
Thanks.

Yeah, there will always be doubters. The thing is that he didn't 'wind up' on that throw. It was a pretty quick delivery.

I think anyone who immediately dismisses the fact that he has a fair chance to be successful is ignorant.

Reply 0 likes
Chris B posted less than a minute ago
I couldn't agree more Mihir. I think it was John Gruden that said something like, "Mechanics are people who work on your car. QB's throw a football and they all do it differently".

I mean seriously since this whole Tebow/Mechanics thing has come up, I've paid extra close attention to photos of any QB throwing the ball or film of any QB throwing the ball. If they were all judged as harshly as Tebow I'd have to say every single QB in the NFL has horrible "Mechanics" and none of them will be successful in the NFL!!!

Just look at division rival Phillip Rivers, 95% of experts would have Rivers in their top 5 QBs currently playing, and by the standards applied to Tebow's mechanics, Rivers should be the worst QB in the NFL.

So what if his release point could be 2 inches higher??? So he gets 2 passes blocked each year that would have not been blocked if he had "Proper Mechanics"??? The list of HOF QBs that had bad mechanics is longer than the list of HOF QBs that had great mechanics.

R

broncobryce
08-17-2010, 10:06 PM
They forgot to mention the TD pass he should have had to Branson.