PDA

View Full Version : Old school questions about some mid-70's Broncos

East Coast Fan
07-13-2008, 02:52 PM
Maybe it's because I'm reading the book "77" or perhaps the thread "2nd best Bronco QB" brought back some memories, but I've been looking at my old books from the 70's and had a question or two about several players and what happened to them back then. So if you fellow "oldtimers" remember how it was (I was a teenager and following Denver in Pennsylvania then was like being on another planet) please chime in with your thoughts!

What happened to these players who "just missed" staying around for the '77 Super Bowl team:

Tackle Marv Montgomery-I know that he came back from a broken leg years earlier.
Cornerback Calvin Jones-all 5'7" of him!
Defensive end Charlie Smith-one book said "Smith was an animal in training camp last year then got hurt".
Safety Kurt Knoff-a highly-touted safety out of college.

And what happened to Guard Steve Schindler who played on the '77 team but didn't last more than 1978?

Thanks folks for help with this trip down "memory lane"! :lol:

girler
07-13-2008, 03:46 PM
That Super Bowl is the first game I ever sat down to watch and I was mesmerized. :eek: I was 7. I've been a fan ever since, but I couldn't tell you anything about those players. And anyone in my family who I could ask have passed on. Yikes. I'll be interested to follow this thread!

Bronco Bible
07-13-2008, 04:27 PM
Maybe it's because I'm reading the book "77" or perhaps the thread "2nd best Bronco QB" brought back some memories, but I've been looking at my old books from the 70's and had a question or two about several players and what happened to them back then. So if you fellow "oldtimers" remember how it was (I was a teenager and following Denver in Pennsylvania then was like being on another planet) please chime in with your thoughts!

What happened to these players who "just missed" staying around for the '77 Super Bowl team:

Tackle Marv Montgomery-I know that he came back from a broken leg years earlier.
Cornerback Calvin Jones-all 5'7" of him!
Defensive end Charlie Smith-one book said "Smith was an animal in training camp last year then got hurt".
Safety Kurt Knoff-a highly-touted safety out of college.

And what happened to Guard Steve Schindler who played on the '77 team but didn't last more than 1978?

Thanks folks for help with this trip down "memory lane"! :lol:

ECF,
I did a little digging and found the answers I hope will help Marv Montgomery was with the Broncos from '71-'76 went to the Saints 76-77 then ended up with the Falcons in '78 it is storming now so I will have more later.

Bronco Bible
07-13-2008, 07:18 PM
ECF,
I did a little digging and found the answers I hope will help Marv Montgomery was with the Broncos from '71-'76 went to the Saints 76-77 then ended up with the Falcons in '78 it is storming now so I will have more later.

Kurt Knoff was drafted in the 2nd rd. had a knee injury played 2 years with Houston '77,'78 picked up by Minnesota during the '79 season played until 1983 when he retired and worked as a real estate broker in th St.Paul/Minneapolis area. This information was googled Steve Schindler only has records for 2 years at least that is what I found.

East Coast Fan
07-16-2008, 02:57 PM
Where is Topscribe when you need him? I'm sure he remembers little Calvin Jones, and what happened that Steve Schindler went from # 1 draft pick to who-knows-where? :D

slim
07-16-2008, 03:10 PM
That Super Bowl is the first game I ever sat down to watch and I was mesmerized. :eek: I was 7. I've been a fan ever since, but I couldn't tell you anything about those players. And anyone in my family who I could ask have passed on. Yikes. I'll be interested to follow this thread!

Wow...were are the same age. That was the second Broncos game I remember. :beer:

Sorry ECB, I was too young to really remember the players expect the star players.

BCJ
07-16-2008, 05:44 PM

I guess being 7 in 1977 is a common thread. This was my first year as a fan as a 7 year old. My Dad, who is from Fort Collins, sat down to watch the few Broncos games in SoCal. He told me, "This is our team!" From that day I was hooked. I only remember like my first hero Morton and of course the Orange Crush defense, Moses, Upchurch, etc. Those mentioned would need to be at least in their late teens to be that dedicated to some of those names.