PDA

View Full Version : Cut Brady Quinn and offer a 5th rnd pick for Kellen Clemens

Jagsbch
08-17-2010, 07:46 AM
We can get him in camp sooner this way, in preparing him for the back up role.

http://beta.images.theglobeandmail.com/archive/00823/Jets16_823301gm-a.jpg

There is a reason why McDaniels has a broken toe today. If I am McD expecting to see something out of my starter in the deep passing game and and anything but what I saw out of my back up than what I did, I would be finding a chair to kick as well.:mad::D

What sucks is he knows he can't rely on Quinn at this rate, when the bullets start flying this guy may as well be in the fetal position in his mind, because that is what his performance reflected IMO.

Having to cut Quinn, rather than have the luxury to trade Orton to keep the locker room atmosphere from having the stench of a starter being over taken by a rookie, was IMO something McD more than likely wanted to avoid, at this rate he knows trading Orton is not going to be an option, that is unless he scores with some of the cuts teams will be forced to make, IE the Jets.

By giving up a 5th for Clemens he can have the luxury to trade Orton for a 5th or even better pick to a team such as the 49ers for example who need a game manager, because Smith is anything but as the starter.

Kellen Clemens (http://blog.oregonlive.com/nfl/2010/08/new_york_jets_announce_mark_br.html)?~!!

Kellen Clemens' future in doubt after New York Jets name Mark Brunell No. 2 quarterback

New York Jets quarterback Kellen Clemens’ career appears to be at a crossroads.

Jets coach Rex Ryan announced Sunday that recently acquired 39-year-old quarterback Mark Brunell would enter training camp as the No. 2 quarterback behind Mark Sanchez.

The backup role was one Clemens, out of Burns High School and Oregon, had held for most of his four-year career since the Jets made him a second-round pick in 2006. Now, for the first time, he is fighting simply to make the roster.

"This is how the quarterback position breaks down, in my opinion, right now: If your name is Mark, you're safe," Clemens told reporters Sunday at the first day of Jets' training camp. "If your name isn't Mark, then, who knows? It's going to be an interesting next four weeks until this thing plays out. We'll see. They might carry four, they might carry three and they might carry two."

Also sitting in a precarious spot is quarterback Erik Ainge out of Hillsboro's Glencoe High School. He was the third-string quarterback last season. Now?

Adding to the intrigue is that we all can watch this play out live on HBO's Hard Knocks, which premieres Aug. 11.

Clemens said Ryan and Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum informed him Brunell would be brought in before he was signed.

“It didn’t come as much of a surprise," Clemens said...

http://media.oregonlive.com/nfl/photo/clemenstbjpg-f5494fb82e939b96_large.jpg

There is more to being a championship caliber team than the phenomenal presnap reads which included the one orton made when audabling out of the run on the TD play Lloyd made with the dink pass at the line of scrimage Orton made.

You abslutely have to have a deep passing game in your arsenal, Clemens has a cannon, well at least when compared to Orton...:D:D

Its like playing the board game sorry, if you can't get all your pieces moving together then you lose. The deep passing game is not just a small piece, you can simply leave behind, and no one knows this better than McD, IE rage and toe break.

My wife said that claiming the chair fell on is his was akin to saying it may as well be king, and if your QB does not possess the King factora battered wife saying she fell or the door hit her. :eek:

McD does not need a game manager, what he needs is a legit starting QB to make his ambitions of having a championship caliber team come to fruition.

In the modern era Orton sucks; and as a head coach I can;'t help but feel that McDaniels has to know he is bringing a knife to a gun fight in regards to any playoff asperations he might have this seasons.

http://media.nj.com/jets_impact/photo/kellen-clemens-jets-79e53611cbf2e3f6_large.jpg

Maybe McD can turn this frown upside down~!!:D:D

By bringing Kellen to Mile High and allowing him to "Say Hello to Heaven (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyVTdY2BI3g&feature=related)"~!!

http://www.widerange.org/images/large/bridgeHeavenTent.jpg

Traveler
08-17-2010, 08:01 AM
Dude, quit being such a drama queen! Sheesh!

So BQ had a rough night. Big Whoop! It doesn't mean you have to be so overly dramatic. Let's revisit this issue after the preseason is over. Then, maybe there might be cause for concern.

NightTrainLayne
08-17-2010, 09:21 AM
I thought you were in love with Tebow being the starter? Why the heck would we need Winslow to replace Quinn if Tebow is the starter? If Tebow progresses to starter, I would say that Orton would be the best back-up in the league.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-17-2010, 09:26 AM
This is getting more than OLD - real fast :tsk:

Jagsbch
08-17-2010, 09:45 AM
Dude, quit being such a drama queen! Sheesh!

So BQ had a rough night. Big Whoop! It doesn't mean you have to be so overly dramatic. Let's revisit this issue after the preseason is over. Then, maybe there might be cause for concern.

Overly dramatic? Drama Queen?

Rough night? That was a disaster. Quinns play after play was a mind boggling train wreck collision.

You can put your head in the sand and play your eraser menatlity on Quinns entire career, and play the it was only one game card, but that is a luxury the coach does not have.

Time is not a luxury for McDaniels either. This is a machine, the parts of this machine need to be in place in order for McDaniels, who is driving it, to be able to shift gears as he floors it towards the playoffs without abandonment or regret.

If a picture tells a thousand words, the frames I saw of Quinn was a novel fairy tail of a future in the NFL. He is not a rookie despite putting on a clinic for posing as one, and being a vet he may as well pack it in at this rate. It is what it is...

I know when enough is enough, and when its over its over, these are decisions you have to make as a head coach, and McDaniels as we all know is a master when it comes to saying I can not use you. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR1l01cZQV0)

Sconnie Bronco
08-17-2010, 09:49 AM
Overly dramatic? Drama Queen?

Rough night? That was a disaster. Quinns play after play was a mind boggling train wreck collision.

You can put your head in the sand and play your eraser menatlity on Quinns entire career, and play the it was only one game card, but that is a luxury the coach does not have.

Time is not a luxury for McDaniels either. This is a machine, the parts of this machine need to be in place in order for McDaniels, who is driving it, to be able to shift gears as he floors it towards the playoffs without abandonment or regret.

If a picture tells a thousand words, the frames I saw of Quinn was a novel fairy tail of a future in the NFL. He is not a rookie despite putting on a clinic for posing as one, and being a vet he may as well pack it in at this rate. It is what it is...

I know when enough is enough, and when its over its over, these are decisions you have to make as a head coach, and McDaniels as we all know is a master when it comes to saying I can not use you. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XR1l01cZQV0)

Why do you like Clemens so much? He kind of looks like another Brady Quinn.

MasterShake
08-17-2010, 09:55 AM
Why do you like Clemens so much? He kind of looks like another Brady Quinn.

Exactly. We have a great second string QB this year. His name is Tim Tebow.

Jagsbch
08-17-2010, 09:56 AM
I thought you were in love with Tebow being the starter? Why the heck would we need Winslow to replace Quinn if Tebow is the starter? If Tebow progresses to starter, I would say that Orton would be the best back-up in the league.

I already stated it.

I have seen QB controversies divide locker rooms, cause other leaders of the team to sling chairs across locker rooms as a result. I have seen a coach give his entire team a day off as a result of it.

:elefant:These things have a way of putting a white elephant in the locker room:elefant:

That is something McDaniels knows he can do without. Having fans doing the ol put in KO when Tebow struggles, or his teammates doing the ol :listen: as a result of seeing poor KO in the corner pouting over his disposition as a back up to a rookie.

This is not what a coach needs in his locker room or his rookie to be going through as the leader of the team when he already has the burden of the world already on his shoulders.:salute:

rcsodak
08-17-2010, 09:57 AM
This is getting more than OLD - real fast :tsk:
agreed! So lets bring in a guy with a losing record. A guy that cant beat out a 110yr old that is the epitome of a JOURNEYMAN QB. A guy that would be behind Tebow in knowing the system.
Brilliant idea.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Sconnie Bronco
08-17-2010, 09:58 AM
Exactly. We have a great second string QB this year. His name is Tim Tebow.

Hopefully not. Id rather he not play until he's ready. Id rather see someone like Quinn be offered up as the sacrificial lamb.

I mean, yeah, Tebow should be 2nd string because of packages and all of that but in a scenario where Orton is injured, someone like Quinn should be the default starter unless Tebow is ready.

T.K.O.
08-17-2010, 10:28 AM
i am stoked that tebow looked so close to being ready....i mean we were looking at 1-3 years until the experts thought he could play at an NFL level....sheeeeeeeet !
dude has game and looked 10 times as ready as a former 1st rounder with years in the league.:elefant:
i am starting to believe we will see tebow starting before the end of the year....
though 1 preseason game is not the whole picture,it sure looks like we have solved the issue of how to get tebow in on those "special packages"
quinn had 3rd string written all over him.

Lonestar
08-17-2010, 10:30 AM
Epicially a bad idea

Until this thread your posts were a decent read.

topscribe
08-17-2010, 10:34 AM
Cut Quinn and trade Orton. http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/BIGrofl2-1.gif

-----

topscribe
08-17-2010, 10:35 AM
Until this thread your posts were a decent read.

:confused: um . . . k

-----

PAINTERDAVE
08-17-2010, 10:37 AM
I thought I had heard it all before... just goes to show that there is always something new under the sun.

Jagsbach... I like you... but this is a crazy idea.

topscribe
08-17-2010, 10:39 AM
I thought I had heard it all before... just goes to show that there is always something new under the sun.

Jagsbach... I like you... but this is a crazy idea.

You're not much of a reference, Painter . . .

You like everybody . . . ;)

-----

rationalfan
08-17-2010, 11:02 AM
this is another reason why fans aren't GMs. they judge with knee-jerk reactions, not thought-out processes.

cutting quinn has no upside for the team. at all. there is not a QB controversy in the broncos' locker room. at all. orton is the starter. everyone knows this.

as for quinn's performance, it's not any worse that orton's preseason a year ago. he seems to have overcome it well. there's little reason to think quinn can't do the same. some of us need to test our patience. it's going to be a long season if every single bit of minutia is addressed with this type of overreactive hyperbole.

and clemens? he's a bored fan's dream: a QB with little experience and tons of "potential." they always look on the sidelines; often bad in the games. denver's had enough of those players in recent years.

underrated29
08-17-2010, 11:44 AM
So let me get this strait.

Quinn- went 6/16 68 yards and int
Tebow- 8/13 105 yards rush td

There is not a whole lot of difference there. Both would likely have had passing tds had the wr not dropped the ball.

IMO they did a lot better than most of all the other qbs that got a lot of playing time.

What a stupid idea.

Sconnie Bronco
08-17-2010, 11:50 AM
So let me get this strait.

Quinn- went 6/16 68 yards and int
Tebow- 8/13 105 yards rush td

There is not a whole lot of difference there. Both would likely have had passing tds had the wr not dropped the ball.

IMO they did a lot better than most of all the other qbs that got a lot of playing time.

What a stupid idea.

I think youre in the minority on this. Out of the two, Tebow looked by far the least overwhelmed by what was going on. And this was his first game. It also seemed like Zimmer thew more at Tebow in terms of blitzing.

Sorry, but the difference seemed massive.

Tempus Fugit
08-17-2010, 11:53 AM
<insert face palm here>

underrated29
08-17-2010, 11:59 AM
I think youre in the minority on this. Out of the two, Tebow looked by far the least overwhelmed by what was going on. And this was his first game. It also seemed like Zimmer thew more at Tebow in terms of blitzing.

Sorry, but the difference seemed massive.

Let me rephrase that.

If everyone is thinking Tebow did so well (which he did do a good job) and brady quinn was not that far off of tebows numbers.......... It makes absolutely zero sense to do anything.

IF quinn did not have the pick 6, would anyone be saying he had a terrible game and we should trade a guy who knows our system pretty well, from college days and now throughout the entire tc for a guy who knows nothing and has also sucked everywhere he has been..?

Quinn did not have a great night, but he did not have a terrible night either. And when compared to tebow his numbers are not all that different. (please keep in mind I am not a quinn fan)

Sconnie Bronco
08-17-2010, 12:14 PM
Let me rephrase that.

If everyone is thinking Tebow did so well (which he did do a good job) and brady quinn was not that far off of tebows numbers.......... It makes absolutely zero sense to do anything.

Im not saying they should trade or cut Quinn...unless it was for someone comparable who also knows the offense. Ironically Kevin OConnell might be the better option from the Jets. But I dont think the numbers were really comparable. Tebow should have had at least 50 more yards passing and also 2 passing TDs...and should heve been 10/13. But even 8/13 is better than what Quinn did.

IF quinn did not have the pick 6, would anyone be saying he had a terrible game and we should trade a guy who knows our system pretty well, from college days and now throughout the entire tc for a guy who knows nothing and has also sucked everywhere he has been..?

I think they would say he was kind of "meh" compared to Tebow.

Quinn did not have a great night, but he did not have a terrible night either. And when compared to tebow his numbers are not all that different. (please keep in mind I am not a quinn fan)

An eyeball test is part of this and Quinn looked a little overwhelmed...ok a lot overwhelmed. And thats aside from the stats which werent very good.

LRtagger
08-17-2010, 12:23 PM
I cant wait for the threads after Orton throws his first regular season INT.

dogfish
08-17-2010, 12:29 PM
how about we just cut quinn, and don't waste time bringing in another bum QB?

Tempus Fugit
08-17-2010, 12:32 PM
how about we just cut quinn, and don't waste time bringing in another bum QB?

Why go with the half measures? Someone needs to tell McDaniels to cut everyone but Tebow, and just let him play every position.

The Denver Tebows!

weazel
08-17-2010, 12:33 PM
In other news... the sky is indeed falling!!!!!

Sconnie Bronco
08-17-2010, 12:36 PM
Why go with the half measures? Someone needs to tell McDaniels to cut everyone but Tebow, and just let him play every position.

The Denver Tebows!

I wouldnt mind that but cloning is illegal. And the clones would still have to be raised similarly to Tebow.

But if it would work, I wouldnt mind. We shouldnt have to de-draft his clones though if he's under contract with us. If we have his rights, we should also have rights to his clones.

But that would be a team of straight-up ballers, right there.

dogfish
08-17-2010, 12:46 PM

The Denver Tebows!

exaggerate much?

cutting one worthless QB hardly equates to cutting the rest of the roster. . .

shit. . . how many years did shanahan only carry two quarterbacks on the roster? i remember at least one season where brad freaking van pelt was the only other QB besides plummer-- anyone wanna argue that tebow isn't better than BVP?

Tempus Fugit
08-17-2010, 01:00 PM
exaggerate much?

cutting one worthless QB hardly equates to cutting the rest of the roster. . .

shit. . . how many years did shanahan only carry two quarterbacks on the roster? i remember at least one season where brad freaking van pelt was the only other QB besides plummer-- anyone wanna argue that tebow isn't better than BVP?

I thought you were being a smartass with your comment, so I followed it up. It wasn't meant as a jab at you.

Northman
08-17-2010, 01:03 PM
In my opinion Clemons isnt any better than Quinn so they both suck.

WARHORSE
08-17-2010, 01:03 PM
I dont have any problem discussing possible moves for the betterment of our team. No big deal.

Imo, the offense we have substantially effected our play last year especially among certain players because of the complexity of it.

I didnt like the way Quinn looked, but I also believe he was swimming out there with a weight tied around his neck.

Orton threw three picks last year. Three.

I believe this offense will help Quinn be effective later on, because when Ive seen him play in the past, he got the ball out pretty quick, and his short game is there. Like Tebow, I think he'll get better with time.

How much better? Better.

Will it be better than Tebow and Orton?

I dont think so at this point, but it will all play out.

Bringing Kellens in would not result in a player that will help us this year.

Quinn has been studying the offense for about five or six months already.

Kellens would be drowning in this offense.

dogfish
08-17-2010, 01:08 PM
I thought you were being a smartass with your comment, so I followed it up. It wasn't meant as a jab at you.

that's probably a fair assumption with me :lol:, but i'm always serious if the topic is getting rid of quinn. . .

silkamilkamonico
08-17-2010, 01:11 PM
By giving up a 5th for Clemens he can have the luxury to trade Orton for a 5th or even better pick to a team such as the 49ers for example who need a game manager, because Smith is anything but as the starter.

I would gladly give NYJ Brady Quinn if it means we can cut you and your garbage "logic" from this board.

Your "JP Losman is a great QB because he throws a great deep ball" argument is doing nothing but polluting this board.

slim
08-17-2010, 01:31 PM
You want to pick up a QB that was beaten out by Mark Brunell?

:noidea:

dogfish
08-17-2010, 01:36 PM
You want to pick up a QB that was beaten out by Mark Brunell?

:noidea:

to replace a QB that was beaten out by derek anderson. . . :lol:

man, thank tebow we drafted tebow!

slim
08-17-2010, 01:39 PM
to replace a QB that was beaten out by derek anderson. . . :lol:

man, thank tebow we drafted tebow!

Don't use that tone with me.

TimTebow15MVP
08-17-2010, 01:43 PM
you wanna trade picks like that right now for a back up QB? definitly the worse thread ive seen in a while. the broncos dont need a backup QB and they damn sure dont need to trade picks for it

Northman
08-17-2010, 01:49 PM
Im still hoping for a JaMarshmellow man sighting in Denver.

Tempus Fugit
08-17-2010, 01:57 PM
Im still hoping for a JaMarshmellow man sighting in Denver.

Are you out of codeine syrup or something?

Northman
08-17-2010, 01:58 PM
Are you out of codeine syrup or something?

Nah, but i did eat paint chips as a kid. Uh, why?

dogfish
08-17-2010, 02:07 PM
Don't use that tone with me.

shut the buff up, fatty. . .

Bosco
08-17-2010, 04:07 PM
What would be the point? Do you think that Clemens looking good might have to do with the fact that he's been working in Brian Schottenheimer's system for 5 years now and is pretty proficient in it?

If we uprooted him and brought him to Denver with an entirely new system, do you not think his play would reflect that?

LTC Pain
08-17-2010, 04:23 PM
What would be the point? Do you think that Clemens looking good might have to do with the fact that he's been working in Brian Schottenheimer's system for 5 years now and is pretty proficient in it?

If we uprooted him and brought him to Denver with an entirely new system, do you not think his play would reflect that?

Tebow homers like Jagsbag don't think. There line of reason is simply maniacal homerism because they worship the player and not the team.

Nomad
08-18-2010, 01:26 PM
Quinn still the #2 QB!!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/18/no-demotion-for-brady-quinn-yet/

BroncoNut
08-18-2010, 01:44 PM
man, everybody seems to be going to the Jets. what are they becoming, the Land of Misfit broken down toys? I say no Jags. don't really see the point.

Jagsbch
08-18-2010, 01:46 PM
agreed! So lets bring in a guy with a losing record. A guy that cant beat out a 110yr old that is the epitome of a JOURNEYMAN QB. A guy that would be behind Tebow in knowing the system.
Brilliant idea.

First of all Mark is in NY to play QB coach by mentoring Sanchez, Kellen at the moment is not helping the locker room atmosphere.

I think we traded the 5th round pick for Kirlew, so that is not going to work, I guess maybe McDaniels will have to use a 6th round pick instead.

This is not a knee jerk reaction this is a no brainer. Chris Simm's is a good example of what we saw this weekend and what we saw last year is not something you want to see this year from your back up.:salute:

BroncoNut
08-18-2010, 01:47 PM
First of all Mark is in NY to play QB coach by mentoring Sanchez, Kellen at the moment is not helping the locker room atmosphere.
I think we traded the 5th round pick for Kirlew, so that is not going to work, I guess maybe McDaniels will have to use a 6th round pick instead.

This is not a knee jerk reaction this is a no brainer. Chris Simm's is a good example of what we saw this weekend and what we saw last year is not something you want to see this year from your back up.:salute:

Great. dont' let this guy getaway. :lol:

I can actually see Brunell as a solid mentor.

Bosco
08-18-2010, 01:51 PM
Quinn still the #2 QB!!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/18/no-demotion-for-brady-quinn-yet/

Of course. He's having the exact same problems that Kyle Orton was having last year in this system and that is only something time and experience with the system will fix.

Lonestar
08-18-2010, 02:46 PM
Who cares at this point who is #2 or 3 on the depth chart.

When the sason starts we will see.

And who dresses on game day is the meaningful POV. Even though Tebow will be offically on the depth roster as #3 he will dress to run the "TEBOW"plays that will be in the playbook. With BQ as the offical #3 QB. The one that can't come in until the 3rd quarter.

Overtime
08-18-2010, 03:21 PM
good god, its only pre-season, and it was only 1 game, and he didn't even play the whole game.

kellen clemens is not worth a 5th rounder, he's not worth anything, and Quinn is much better anyhow.

Lonestar
08-18-2010, 03:24 PM
Of course. He's having the exact same problems that Kyle Orton was having last year in this system and that is only something time and experience with the system will fix.

if he has not got it by next year this time then we have a problem and make a decision on Orton.. till then who gives a flip.

at least he is not simms.

smith49
08-18-2010, 03:55 PM
good god, its only pre-season, and it was only 1 game, and he didn't even play the whole game.

kellen clemens is not worth a 5th rounder, he's not worth anything, and Quinn is much better anyhow.

A big fat AGREED commin at ya OT. Ive said this before and i will say it once again just to reiterate. Its pre-freakin-season! Anyone circling the drain at this point needs to check themselves. Its pre-season, and quinn is brand spankin new to this system. Enough said.

Oh, did i mention that its pre-season yet?

Ravage!!!
08-18-2010, 04:06 PM
if he has not got it by next year this time then we have a problem and make a decision on Orton.. till then who gives a flip.

at least he is not simms.

:confused: Wait... how long did Simms get?

dogfish
08-18-2010, 04:06 PM

that, or he just plain sucks and no amount of time in any system will ever change that. . . i'm pretty sure that's the real truth-- you can only coach guys up so far. . .

Bosco
08-18-2010, 04:34 PM
that, or he just plain sucks and no amount of time in any system will ever change that. . . i'm pretty sure that's the real truth-- you can only coach guys up so far. . .

How can you come to that conclusion though? He played for one of the worst and most talent depleted teams in the NFL, yet still gave generally decent performances. Even in the Bengals game you saw his performance improve once he started to settle into a bit of a rhythm, and as we saw from Orton last year, that is to be expected.

dogfish
08-18-2010, 04:48 PM
How can you come to that conclusion though? He played for one of the worst and most talent depleted teams in the NFL, yet still gave generally decent performances. Even in the Bengals game you saw his performance improve once he started to settle into a bit of a rhythm, and as we saw from Orton last year, that is to be expected.

i came to the conclusion that he had no shot in the NFL while watching him in college. . . i just don't think he has the mindset (read:guts) for it. . .

BroncoBJ
08-18-2010, 08:49 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

JaxBroncoGirl
08-18-2010, 09:23 PM
I dont have any problem discussing possible moves for the betterment of our team. No big deal.

Imo, the offense we have substantially effected our play last year especially among certain players because of the complexity of it.

I didnt like the way Quinn looked, but I also believe he was swimming out there with a weight tied around his neck.

Orton threw three picks last year. Three.

I believe this offense will help Quinn be effective later on, because when Ive seen him play in the past, he got the ball out pretty quick, and his short game is there. Like Tebow, I think he'll get better with time.

How much better? Better.

Will it be better than Tebow and Orton?

I dont think so at this point, but it will all play out.

Bringing Kellens in would not result in a player that will help us this year.

Quinn has been studying the offense for about five or six months already.

Kellens would be drowning in this offense.

I agree with your comment, "let's see", we just started the season and I think all 3 QB should be given the chance to show what they can bring to the table, as it stands now, after only 1 preseason game, Quinn is the odd man out. Who knows? Look what the Jaguars secret second QB did in their second preseason game, he was awesome, I still do not know his name, but the dude looked great. I still think in time we will see Orton's weakness and Tim will excel beyond everyone's expectations. My father told me to name my boat "Will Sea". So I guess that sums it up. :beer:

Shazam!
08-19-2010, 12:38 AM
After one game thinking of cutting a newly brought in QB is not a good idea. Quinn may have looked terrible but give the guy a break, it wasn't even a whole half of his first game.

Then you want Clemens of all QBs? C'mon...

Nomad
08-19-2010, 07:36 AM
After one game thinking of cutting a newly brought in QB is not a good idea. Quinn may have looked terrible but give the guy a break, it wasn't even a whole half of his first game.

Then you want Clemens of all QBs? C'mon...

I was just passing along info!! I didn't think people would get their panties in such a wad over the #2. IMO, he didn't show any heart out there and looked like he didn't even want to be out there. Maybe he'll be different against the Lions but if he displays the same attitude then I'd rather watch Tebow at #2. I'm all for guys getting their chances.

Traveler
08-19-2010, 09:58 AM

Exactly! Makes no sense right now to make a roster move for any new QB.

Traveler
08-19-2010, 10:26 AM

I have to say that I'm glad you aren't a GM. Patience is not one of your better virtues, huh?

From all accounts last year, there were many here that wanted Simms to be named starter because he -seemingly- played well during the preseason while Orton stunk up the joint in his first game.

Fast forward to the regular season. When Simms finally had a chance to play, he was so horrible that he had to be replaced by our injured QB.

Point being it's insane to have such a knee jerk reaction after just one game. Doing so can have several negative ramifications.

Those being the effect on the salary cap, loss of future a pick(s), elevation of a rookie QB into 2nd team status, the new QB's unfamiliarity with the new playbook, just to name a few.

Why create more uncertainty than what already exists?

We all know that the preseason is totally opposite of the regular season. Most defenses are not disguised and are quite vanilla in nature. Way too early to panic. Trust that the coach and front office know what they are doing.

LRtagger
08-19-2010, 11:21 AM
I was just passing along info!! I didn't think people would get their panties in such a wad over the #2. IMO, he didn't show any heart out there and looked like he didn't even want to be out there. Maybe he'll be different against the Lions but if he displays the same attitude then I'd rather watch Tebow at #2. I'm all for guys getting their chances.

I don't think you can determine that he lacked heart or didnt want to be out there.

I think it was more a lack of confidence in what he was doing. But I think most people will lack confidence if they are unsure about what they are doing...or second guessing their decisions - especially if you know there are millions of people dissecting your every move.

I think he deserves some more time to get comfortable with the offense before we consider him a failure. Orton looked uncomfortable last preseason and Simms didnt....but as we all learned Orton had a better grasp overall and Simms had no clue.