PDA

View Full Version : No autographs in the locker room

Lonestar
08-17-2010, 01:00 AM
Rule No. 1: No autographs in the locker room
By LINDSAY JONES

Broncos quarterback Tim Tebow is signing lots of autographs lately. (John Leyba, The Denver Post)

For the record, the two “journalists” who asked Tim Tebow for an autograph in the locker room at Cincinnati after last night’s game were not from Denver.

I don’t even know who they are, and I didn’t see autograph-gate (to use my partner Mike Klis’ favorite term) happen. All I know is that two guys approached Tebow for autographs. One asked to have his flip card (a depth chart and roster guide) signed. The other asked for Tebow to autograph the man’s credential. A member of the Broncos public relations staff heard about it and promptly kicked the offending parties out of the locker room.

I’m pretty sure this wasn’t the first time Tebow has been approached for an autograph by a credentialed journalist and I’m completely sure it won’t be the last. Just add it to the list of things the Broncos PR department will have to watch out for on the road this season (and at home, as well).

Folks outside of the sports journalist business may wonder why this has created a buzz today. But in our field, there might be no bigger faux pas than asking for an autograph. It might be rule 1B in all of sports journalism etiquette, right beside “no cheering in the press box.” Those rules are explicitly spelled out on every credential I’ve ever received.

Not only does it make the autograph-seeker look like a fool, but it makes the rest of us — those of us who follow the rules and behave professionally — look bad too. So, Mr. Autograph Hound, next time you want something signed, wait in line with the fans please. Some of us are here to actually work.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/08/16/rule-no-1-no-autographs-in-the-locker-room/4488/

Sconnie Bronco
08-17-2010, 09:30 AM
I read about this last night. Im kind of surprised more people havent commented on it.

I think its a little alarming that the media wont name names. They have no business calling out everyone under the sun but when it comes to their own, they clam up and look out for each other. Its kind of lame.

I dont understant why theyre off limits. Theyve made the news. When an athlete gets a DUI, the media does report it as "a member of the Miami Dolphins got a DUI last night...and thats all we're going to say."