PDA

View Full Version : Colorado sports fans: Too nice or just right

Lonestar
08-17-2010, 12:56 AM
Colorado sports fans: Too nice or just right?
By Patrick Saunders
The Denver Post
POSTED: 08/16/2010 12:12:34 PM MDT
UPDATED: 08/16/2010 04:32:03 PM MDT

Rockies fans do The Wave during a recent game at Coors Field. (THE DENVER POST | KARL GEHRING)
I went to the Rockies-Brewers game as a fan Friday night. I had a decent seat down the left-field line and got an up-close view of Troy Tulowitzki's game-winning homer in the eighth inning. Tulo's cannon shot glanced off Ryan Braun's glove and into the bleachers.

It was a decent game capped off by a dynamite ending.

As I sat there with my $7 beer and a very tasty Helton burger and onion rings from No. 17 Burger Shack, I pondered a few things:

Why must people do The Wave at baseball games? Call me a baseball snob, but I hate it. I know I sound like Andy Rooney here, but The Wave is for people who aren't into the game and don't understand the nuances of the baseball. Save The Wave for Invesco Field.
Post Poll -- Colorado Fans
What is your opinion about the behavior of typical Colorado sports fans?
Just right. Loyal and passionate, but not too obnoxious.
Too passive and too polite. Fans need to be harder on the local teams.
Pretty good overall. But I wish fans were more knowledgeable.

Rockies fans are loyal and enthusiastic, but most of them are not like the hardcore baseball fans you would find in New York, Philly or St. Louis.
For many, going to Coors Field, having a dog and a beer, socializing and taking in the summer night is primary. The game is secondary. I'm not saying that's a bad thing ... I'm just saying.

I had a discussion with Bruce, my friend, neighbor and baseball fanatic. We talked about Colorado sports fans in general terms. We concluded that Colorado fans are far more forgiving and not nearly as nasty as their East Coast brethren. We don't boo as often, nor as loud.
Can you imagine the verbal abuse Clint Barmes would have endured from fans at Citi Field if he had committed his ninth-inning, two-run error on Sunday while wearing a Mets uniform? It would have been merciless.

In Colorado, it's rare to hear excessive profanity directed at a particular player, even one as disliked as Barry Bonds or Jay Cutler. Colorado fans don't puke on their fellow fans — at least not intentionally.

I'm not saying Colorado sports fan aren't passionate or don't care, but I don't think we are as crazy as the knuckleheads in Philly or Boston.

Maybe that's a good thing. While I do wish Rockies fans were more into baseball — hanging on every pitch in a tight game, for instance — the lack of jerks at Coors Field makes for a nice family atmosphere.

My bottom line: I'll take the relative civility of Colorado fans over loony East Coast fanatics, even if I have to put up with The Wave from time to time.

Trivia time

What university takes credit for starting The Wave in college football? (Answer below)

Polling

Last Friday's "Lunch Special" poll asked readers for their opinion about Vikings quarterback Brett Favre, whose announcement is pending on whether to return for another season. With more than 350 votes cast, it was a split decision.

More than 43 percent said they were big Favre fans and want him to come back. Nearly 43 percent think Favre is selfish and wrong to make his teammates wait so long for a decision. About 14 percent said they liked Favre, but want him to retire.

Quotable

"Sometimes you get rolling, and that's what happens. I don't know why. I apologize if I offended more people than I usually offend." — New York Jets coach Rex Ryan, to the Associate Press, on the criticism of his foul language in the HBO series "Hard Knocks."

Reader's rant

"Barmes may feel bad, but he'd better get over it. Hit or sit. (Jonathan) Herrera outplayed him and got sent

Broncos rookie quarterback Tim Tebow performed well in his preseason debut Sunday, and then was asked for autographs by two misguided members of the Cincinnati media. (Getty Images North America | Joe Robbins)
down. EY Jr. may add a spark and Barmes will find himself in a utility role. No time left to coddle the vets. TT (Tulowitzki) CarGo are winners and there is lots of young talent to build around. Too bad O'Dowd didn't bring in any help. A wild card would be great this year and the Rocks can continue to build and dream and someday win the rugged NL West." — Rico K, posting on The Denver Post's story about the Rockies' victory over Milwaukee on Sunday.
Blog spot

The Post's Tom Kensler writes that the Colorado Buffs football team might play mighty Ohio State in Columbus in 2001. The schools have not played each other since 1986.

In case you missed it

In a column on Broncos rookie quarterback Tim Tebow, Alex Marvez of Fox Sports reports that two members of the Cincinnati media asked Tebow for an autograph during postgame interviews. As any media member knows — or is supposed to know — asking players for autographs in that situation is not only prohibited, it's also bush league.

Trivia Answer

The University of Washington, rightly or wrongly, says it was the originator of The Wave at college football games.

Here's what the Huskies' website says: Despite claims by others, The Wave can trace its origin back to Husky Stadium. It was October 31, 1981 when former cheerleader Rob Weller (yes, the same Rob Weller who once co-hosted Entertainment Tonight) was back on the sidelines and instructed the Washington crowd to start in one section and make a human wave that rolled around Husky Stadium.

The original Wave saw Husky fans remain standing until a full circle was completed in the stadium. Weller's original idea — working with former Husky Band Director Bill Bissell — was to have the crowd stand rapidly from the lowest seats to the highest. But they could not effectively coordinate the attempts.

The Wave is believed to have started in the third quarter as the Huskies reeled off 28 points in route to a 42-31 win over the John Elway-led Stanford team.

Patrick Saunders' "Lunch Special" runs Monday, Wednesday and Friday. You can reach Patrick at 303-954-1720 or psaunders@denverpost.com

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15795184