PDA

View Full Version : A Fast Start

Denver Native (Carol)
08-16-2010, 10:36 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/A-Fast-Start/3ecbde68-bfb5-4615-9a4c-a201d0e31bc6

The Broncos saw what their first-unit offense and defense can do Sunday, when the team jumped out to a 14-0 lead against the Bengals. The club ultimately lost the game, 33-24, but Head Coach Josh McDaniels said there's plenty to build on.

CINCINNATI -- Last season, a trip to Cincinnati gave the Broncos the "Immaculate Deflection."

This preseason, it gave them the debut of a heralded first-round pick, demonstrated the progression of a starting quarterback and showed what the first-unit offense and defense can do.

All that in a 33-24 loss to the Bengals on Sunday.

"I thought there were some positives and obviously, plenty of things to work on," Head Coach Josh McDaniels said. "Overall, I think the effort was there. Certainly, the execution in the first preseason game is never really where you want it. ... But there's a lot to build on."

One of the building blocks is the night Kyle Orton had under center. He talked all offseason about his comfort in the second year in the system, and against the Cincinnati defense in the first quarter, he backed up the talk.

On the first offensive play of the game, Orton launched a deep pass down the middle of the field to Jabar Gaffney for a 31-yard gain to kick things off.

After a roughing the passer penalty on Tank Johnson five plays later, Denver had a first down at the Cincinnati 12-yard line. It didn't take long for the Broncos to capitalize. On the very next play, Orton dropped back and quickly found Eddie Royal in the middle of the field. The receiver weaved his way through the defense before diving into the end zone for the first touchdown of the game.

"There was no confusion in the huddle," Royal said. "Guys knew exactly what to do. The second year in the offense, you're a lot more comfortable, and you're seeing similar faces around the huddle. So that comfort level was there and we're able to go out and play football and not think so much."

Orton's final play of the evening showed McDaniels how far Orton has come in the offense. With the Broncos facing a third-and-1 at the Cincinnati 6-yard line, McDaniels called a designed run play. But when Orton saw that the defense was preparing to blitz, he audibled and quickly threw a pass to Brandon Lloyd. The receiver made his man miss and ran into the end zone for a touchdown to cap the 68-yard drive.

"That's a play that typified to me where he's at right now relative to last year," McDaniels said. "If we run the ball in that situation where they blitz the house like they did, we probably end up with a 1- or 2-yard gain, maybe. Instead, it's a touchdown. I'm pleased with what he did. It's really the same as he's done in training camp. He's really performed well, and he's got a really good command of what we're doing."

The signal caller finished 8-for-13 for 84 yards with two touchdowns and a quarterback rating of 119.9.

Meanwhile, the first-unit defense held the receiving duo of Terrell Owens and Chad Ochocinco to four receptions for 19 yards in the first quarter -- Owens tacked on one more catch for 8 yards in the second -- and limited Cedric Benson to just 3.4 yards per carry.

But aside from the quick 14-0 lead, the other story grabbing headlines was the debut of Tim Tebow.

The first-round pick took the field for his first snap as a Bronco after the Bengals' backups pushed the Cincinnati lead to 23-17.

"I was very anxious, I was very excited to be out there, to step out there and be in my first NFL game -- that was very fun," Tebow said. "Just being out there was calming. Just having fun and being in the huddle again, just being able to go out there and see a defense and fully play -- it was awesome."

The rookie completed the first pass of his Broncos career -- but his first drive ended with a three-and-out. It did, however, feature a deep pass down the right sideline that hit Matthew Willis in the hands, but the training camp sensation couldn't quite haul it in.

On his final drive of the game, Tebow bounced back by working the two-minute drill. Starting at his own 27-yard line with 1:09 left on the clock, four completions moved the ball to the Cincinnati 7-yard line.

With three seconds remaining in the game, Tebow lined up in the shotgun for one final play.

He took the snap, dropped back and scanned the field. He saw that the Bengals had dropped back into the end zone to seal off all the passing lanes, so the rookie locked his eyes on the goal line and took off. He was met at 1-yard line by two defenders, but lowered his shoulder and plowed his way into the end zone, leaving one of the defenders shaken up on the ground after the play.

"I just saw an opening so I went to go get it, and thankfully got in there," said Tebow, who was mobbed by his teammates after the play.

"I was pleased with the two-minute drive at the end," McDaniels said. "He showed some poise and some patience moving the ball down the field. I thought he threw the ball accurately when he had time and even when he was out of the pocket. Again, there's plenty to work off of."

In between Orton's effort and Tebow's touchdown, the Bengals showed the form that made them the AFC North champions last season, outscoring the Broncos 33-3. The home team used an efficient offense and harassing defense to control the time of possession, which McDaniels said left the defense tired down the stretch.

Part of that defensive effort included an interception for a touchdown with Brady Quinn under center.

In the second and third quarters, Quinn admitted he was "nowhere near where (he) wanted to be," finishing the day 6-of-16 for 68 yards. He was sacked once and threw the pick-six that gave the Bengals a 17-14 lead.

"He just made a good play," Quinn said of David Jones' interception. "It wasn't a missed read. If anything, it was just me a little late with it. It's something that you learn from. I'm sure I'll be hearing about that tomorrow."

But Quinn's day didn't end after the interception. The quarterback also led a drive that culminated with a field goal that tied the game at 17 at halftime.

"I think Tim and (Quinn) both did some good things and both made some mistakes we need to fix," McDaniels said. "It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the preseason goes. We're looking forward to it."

Though the Broncos certainly aren't happy with a loss, the team is happy to build on the execution on both sides of the ball.

With its second preseason game less than a week away -- Saturday at INVESCO Field at Mile High against the Detriot Lions -- the team is anxious to get back to work at Dove Valley.

"It's just a start -- that's all it is," Orton said. "It's a good starting point for us, and we'll move forward from here. Now it's just important to come out and have a great week of practice and certainly improve coming into Detroit."

broncobryce
08-16-2010, 10:45 PM
Quinn stared down the receiver and then threw it. Easy play for the defense. But I'm rooting for him to do better, or he might be looking at inactive a lot this season.