PDA

View Full Version : Why Athletes Can Not Let Go of the Game.

Medford Bronco
07-13-2008, 01:24 AM
Why can't athletes learn to let Go?

Brett Favre, who to me is one of the best QBs to play
of all time (Top Ten), in my humble opinion is embarassing
himself with this waiver over the last 3 months of I am
not playing, then saying to some that he wanted to
play for another team, just not Green Bay, then
meeting with Green Bay this week and saying
he wants to come back. Very very sad in my opinion.

Brett lets remember your last season of being a very good
QB who led his team to the NFC Championship game
unexpectedly and throwing 28 TD passes. We should
not want to remember Bret Favre as a QB to play for
the Chicago Bears or Houston Texans. It would be like
seeing John Elway play for the Raiders or Chiefs. No way.

It also brings to mind of other athletes coming back after
being retired and tarnishing their image a bit. The most
notable is Michael Jordan as a Washington Wizard. Very
bad, I want to remember Jordan as the one that hit a shot
to win his last Championship against the Jazz (in 1999 I think).
Not to see him declining as a Wizard.

Other notable stars that did not necessarily retire but played
way too long are Johnny Unitas with the SD Chargers, Bobby
Orr as a Chicago Blackhawk, Babe Ruth as a Boston Brave
and Joe Namath as a LA Ram... Tarnishing images really

http://sports.espn.go.com/i/magazine/new/jordan_wizards.jpg
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/tom_layberger/03/16/strange.jerseys/Orr.jpg

Brett to save yourself looking like a complete "me" person
and asking for your release from Green Bay and putting them
in a bad bad postion and putting your understudy Aaron Rodgers in
an awkward positon.. Please give it up.

If you did want to play this year, you should not have retired
and asked Green Bay in March to make a deal with a team
and I am sure it could have been worked out in a respectable
manner and not this circus atmostphere.

Gool luck Brett, I want to remember you as the one that
threw 2 long TD passes against NE in the Super Bowl
and the one who played his guts out vs the Broncos
the next season but did not win in one of the best Super Bowls
of all time. I dont want to remember you as a member of the
Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions or Miami Dolphins.

Stay Retired #4 and save face for yourself and the Packers.

Lonestar
07-13-2008, 03:26 AM
I disagree he Clearly showed last year that he still has his game.. He had one of the Best seasons of his long and great career..

I'm going to challenge everyone on this forum to ask themselves this question..

Have you ever done something that was a mistake?

How many of you that were honest with your answer, did something about it?

Brett Farve is doing something about his mistake..

I doubt seriously if he cares about any of the records, his first and foremost thoughts are he is a warrior and wants to go out feet first..

Davii
07-13-2008, 08:52 AM
IMO Brett was pressured into the retirement. The Packers wanted to know by March so they could have their draft plans ready.

Completely understandable, I think the organization was correct.

However, come March when Brett wasn't sure whether he wanted to, or could, swing another year he really only had one option at that point.

He could not leave the team hanging on an answer they deserved, and he certainly couldn't commit to another year without yet knowing whether he would be able to mentally and physically.

I would love to see Brett slinging the ball again, no matter where. He still has plenty of game in him, and not being a Packer fan, I couldn't care less what his jersey color is.

Dean
07-13-2008, 10:23 AM
IMO most professional athletes have had their life revolving around conditioning, practice, and games for so long that they have difficulty seeing themselves as being more than that. When they first retire there is this huge block of time to fill and it is unsettling. Old habits die hard.

Many athletes complain about the constant attention they receive but I would think that the sudden cessation of that attention would also be a shock to their system.

Change- any change can be a strong cause for personal tension. The question must continually run through their mind as to whether they are doing the right thing for themselves and their families. I can understand them having some trepidation over the choice that they made but all things must end.

Lonestar
07-13-2008, 12:22 PM
Once again Coach Dean hit it out of the ball park.. Same with Davii...

GB is not at fault for wanting to know by march and Brett is not at fault for wanting to play only he knows his body and what is left in the tank.. But after watching him play last year, I can think of a half dozen teams he would instantly make better.. A couple into contenders..

May not have it more than a couple of years but all we needed was two to win a couple of rings..

Medford Bronco
07-13-2008, 02:04 PM
I respectfully disagree with some of the points here.

IMHO Favre if he was still on top of is game, does not throw
a pick that reminded me of Rex Grossman to basically give the Giants
the Super Bowl Berth.

I respect Favre as a player, but you he cant have it both ways, like
he is trying to do here.

Elway did it right. He had a great year in 98 and won the Super Bowl,
Favre did not win the bowl but had a very good year in 2007 but
could very easily come back and throw 28 picks this year.

IMO Green Bay is being put in a bad postion here and it is not
fair to the team and their very loyal fan base.

Lonestar
07-13-2008, 02:28 PM
I respectfully disagree with some of the points here.

IMHO Favre if he was still on top of is game, does not throw
a pick that reminded me of Rex Grossman to basically give the Giants
the Super Bowl Berth.

I respect Favre as a player, but you he cant have it both ways, like
he is trying to do here.

Elway did it right. He had a great year in 98 and won the Super Bowl,
Favre did not win the bowl but had a very good year in 2007 but
could very easily come back and throw 28 picks this year.

IMO Green Bay is being put in a bad postion here and it is not
fair to the team and their very loyal fan base.

Which I would guess overwhelmingly would rather have #4 behind center than rogers..

Npba900
07-13-2008, 09:17 PM
I disagree he Clearly showed last year that he still has his game.. He had one of the Best seasons of his long and great career..

I'm going to challenge everyone on this forum to ask themselves this question..

Have you ever done something that was a mistake?

How many of you that were honest with your answer, did something about it?

Brett Farve is doing something about his mistake..

I doubt seriously if he cares about any of the records, his first and foremost thoughts are he is a warrior and wants to go out feet first..

Farve can still play! His arm strength is sill there. Greenbay just needs to release him and let Farve play for some team that wants to sign him.

Lonestar
07-13-2008, 09:21 PM
Farve can still play! His arm strength is sill there. Greenbay just needs to release him and let Farve play for some team that wants to sign him.

finally something we can agree about..:laugh:

D1g1tal j1m
07-14-2008, 11:37 AM
I don't think this would have been an issue if Brett didn't pull this stunt before. But the prior two off-seasons he did the same yo-yo and back and forth on retirement with the Pack and this time it looks like the front office has had enough.

Brett is a great QB and first ballot HOFer but the way he has handled this is just childish. First retiring then saying that he wanted back in but not as a backup and then demanding a trade and then feeling a backlash and now saying that he did necessarily demanding a trade but not being against one is stupid. If he wants to come back then fine. Come into camp and compete for the position, but understand that the starting position will not be given to him and he will slotted as the backup.

GB has to see what Rogers can do.

Medford Bronco
07-14-2008, 12:11 PM
I don't think this would have been an issue if Brett didn't pull this stunt before. But the prior two off-seasons he did the same yo-yo and back and forth on retirement with the Pack and this time it looks like the front office has had enough.

Brett is a great QB and first ballot HOFer but the way he has handled this is just childish. First retiring then saying that he wanted back in but not as a backup and then demanding a trade and then feeling a backlash and now saying that he did necessarily demanding a trade but not being against one is stupid. If he wants to come back then fine. Come into camp and compete for the position, but understand that the starting position will not be given to him and he will slotted as the backup.

Great post and Agreed wholehearedly.

It must be that us old Hartford Whaler fans stick together (inside joke for the 8 hockey fans here ;):salute:

Lonestar
07-14-2008, 12:15 PM

major reason for him being torn a few yeas ago was the FO was not trying to find talent for him to play behind.. He lost a couple of his Veteran OLINE guys in one year..

It takes two to tango and they have been less than forthcoming in keeping talent in GB..

Anyone even thinking that Farve is going to come back and "maybe" play as back up is smoking something. Rogers could not take the job away from him the past 3 years I see no reason to think he can do it now..

If the clown in the FO in GB think he can;t play cut him lose and allow him to find a team that wants him.. If it is MIN so be it there is no reason to believe that MIN can't beat GB with rogers at the helm as they are right now.

Right now GB is not sure of what rogers can do and needs to bite the bullet one way or the other..

BroncoAV06
07-14-2008, 01:50 PM
Well I am torn on this issue. Not many players can go out the way Elway did, being at the highest point you could go out on in any sport, back to back rings!

Yes it can be hard to see but most players who do try and comeback get the chance because their careers are already established and they have been at the top or near the top of their respective games at some point. All the expamples stated by Med etc.. In my eyes it does not hurt them in anyway. It is something that people bring up from time to time, oh remember Jordan in Washington, little laugh but when you think of Jordan you think of his dunks, that shot against the Cavs, his rings. Not his days as a Wizard trying to bring some hype to a franchise at the time that was in the pits of the NBA.

It goes back to what Dean said, they are athletes, same goes for the majority of people out there and if they enjoy there jobs somewhat they never fully leave them.

If he wants to play then by all means Farve should play, you are either going to get a QB that will help your team or end up having a rough year out of his comfort zone.

As for teams he could go to, top of the list to me would be Minny. Simaller system, a good o-line, great RB, good defense, potential at WR, add Farve you have yourselves a very interesting team in the NFC. With Jackson you have a QB that the "like" and see potential in but even players on the team say that he needs to manage games this year. With Farve he would not be looking to manage games, he would be streatching the field with Rice/Berry, pounding with AP, to me this would be a great situation if Farve does not return to Green Bay.

Which makes this scenario that much more interesting. Do the Packers force Farve to win a job, and hold a clip board, or let him go? What more drama could you ask for in sports, a HOF QB with skills to still play the game of football, leading the top competition against the Packers for the NFC North crown, on Monday night football, in Green Bay in which his number is being placed in Packers history forver!

It would be weird, a purple #4, but it would also be one of the biggest regular season openers ever in any sport.

Broncos Mtnman
07-14-2008, 05:50 PM
Why can't athletes learn to let Go?

Brett Favre, who to me is one of the best QBs to play
of all time (Top Ten), in my humble opinion is embarassing
himself with this waiver over the last 3 months of I am
not playing, then saying to some that he wanted to
play for another team, just not Green Bay, then
meeting with Green Bay this week and saying
he wants to come back. Very very sad in my opinion.

Brett lets remember your last season of being a very good
QB who led his team to the NFC Championship game
unexpectedly and throwing 28 TD passes. We should
not want to remember Bret Favre as a QB to play for
the Chicago Bears or Houston Texans. It would be like
seeing John Elway play for the Raiders or Chiefs. No way.

It also brings to mind of other athletes coming back after
being retired and tarnishing their image a bit. The most
notable is Michael Jordan as a Washington Wizard. Very
bad, I want to remember Jordan as the one that hit a shot
to win his last Championship against the Jazz (in 1999 I think).
Not to see him declining as a Wizard.

Other notable stars that did not necessarily retire but played
way too long are Johnny Unitas with the SD Chargers, Bobby
Orr as a Chicago Blackhawk, Babe Ruth as a Boston Brave
and Joe Namath as a LA Ram... Tarnishing images really

http://sports.espn.go.com/i/magazine/new/jordan_wizards.jpg
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/tom_layberger/03/16/strange.jerseys/Orr.jpg

Brett to save yourself looking like a complete "me" person
and asking for your release from Green Bay and putting them
in a bad bad postion and putting your understudy Aaron Rodgers in
an awkward positon.. Please give it up.

If you did want to play this year, you should not have retired
and asked Green Bay in March to make a deal with a team
and I am sure it could have been worked out in a respectable
manner and not this circus atmostphere.

Gool luck Brett, I want to remember you as the one that
threw 2 long TD passes against NE in the Super Bowl
and the one who played his guts out vs the Broncos
the next season but did not win in one of the best Super Bowls
of all time. I dont want to remember you as a member of the
Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions or Miami Dolphins.

Stay Retired #4 and save face for yourself and the Packers.

*scene in Green Bay*

Brett: "I don't want to retire."

GB (holding gun to his head): "You will retire or else."

*fade to black*

Great article!!

Hey Brett, take a cue from Jake Plummer. You've said you're retired, so be a man and honor your word. There's more to life than football and all this "back-and-forth" is making you look stupid.

I don't care if you "made a mistake." People make mistakes all the time and guess what, they have to deal with the consequences. Don't expect GB to sit around and do nothing while you have another schizophrenic episode of "I quit - no I don't - yes I do - no I don't - yes I do - no I don't....."

http://x1a.xanga.com/8efb7b037713149124454/z33008560.jpg

D1g1tal j1m
07-14-2008, 07:00 PM
major reason for him being torn a few yeas ago was the FO was not trying to find talent for him to play behind.. He lost a couple of his Veteran OLINE guys in one year..

It takes two to tango and they have been less than forthcoming in keeping talent in GB..

Anyone even thinking that Farve is going to come back and "maybe" play as back up is smoking something. Rogers could not take the job away from him the past 3 years I see no reason to think he can do it now..

If the clown in the FO in GB think he can;t play cut him lose and allow him to find a team that wants him.. If it is MIN so be it there is no reason to believe that MIN can't beat GB with rogers at the helm as they are right now.

Right now GB is not sure of what rogers can do and needs to bite the bullet one way or the other..

One of the reasons that Rogers hasn't developed is the fact that the FO could never give him the keys to the offense the last 2 off-seasons because Brett didn't know whether he would retire or not. This off-season they made the full commitment to Rogers after Brett "Retired for good".

Retired_Member_001
07-15-2008, 04:55 AM

Exactly what I'm thinking. The Packers organization REALLY needs to let go. They can't be waiting on Brett Favre every off-season to make up his mind whether he will stay or not. Brett Favre is obviously not their future so the Packers need to look to the future.

What's from keeping Brett Favre from going through this drama next season?

atwater27
07-16-2008, 01:11 PM
I think it is annoying when players retire and come back and retire and come back.
Jordan was the worst. I mean, make up your mind folks! It cheapens their legacy a bit.
That being said, i still think Favre should come back to a different team, not the Pack.

Lonestar
07-16-2008, 01:21 PM
Exactly what I'm thinking. The Packers organization REALLY needs to let go. They can't be waiting on Brett Favre every off-season to make up his mind whether he will stay or not. Brett Favre is obviously not their future so the Packers need to look to the future.

What's from keeping Brett Favre from going through this drama next season?

Who cares let him be Brett..

How many years did we see it with John? While not as dramatic he left a lot of folks in the air for a long time after each season. The older you get the longer it takes each week to heal up. The season are long and now there is very little off season for the players..

They are keeping in condition year round now and studying film for most of the year.. They rarely get a two week cruise somewhere or go to Tahiti for a month in the off season. IF he was pressure to give them an answer by 01MAR this year it sounds like it was not enough time..

As long as he announced (at least to them) before the draft. why the pressure?

If he wants to play until he is 50 and can. WHO CARES?

Lonestar
07-16-2008, 06:19 PM
One of the reasons that Rogers hasn't developed is the fact that the FO could never give him the keys to the offense the last 2 off-seasons because Brett didn't know whether he would retire or not. This off-season they made the full commitment to Rogers after Brett "Retired for good".

Until someone puts in their papers they have not retired for good..

Look I could care less about whether he plays in GB or not.. As long as they do not screw him around and either trade him of release him..

If they think rogers is ready I'm happy for them. But do not come back with latest he can come back as Backup.. If they were dumb enough to allow him back in a uniform the fans will disrupt every game if the rookie does anything remotely bad..

I know that YOU know that.

Cut him loose so He has a chance to go somewhere else.. Do not screw around and a do not allow him a decent chance to find a team that wants him..