PDA

View Full Version : Film Study: JD Walton Breakdown.

underrated29
08-16-2010, 10:26 PM
Ok- so I just re watched the entire game focusing only on JD Walton at C. I watched every play that you could see. Because there were a few plays that they were talking or showing advertisements and impossible to see. I also slowed all the plays down in slow mo if it was hard to see live. Keep in mind i am no pro, scout or anything else. So take it for what this is worth.

First off we all know my man crush for this guy as he was my fav pick in the draft. So I am going to try and not be bias. However, I got to start with a big pimp flag waving for him.

The second TD, the Brandon LLoyd TD. Would NOT have happened if not for JD. Crazy huh?

On that play Lloyd made the move back to the inside around the CB. Ray Malualuga was cutting across the field and would have been there to make the tackle, as he just missed, but the reason he missed was because JD crashed through to the second level and got enough of Rey to slow him down!

Pass blocking- JD overall did a good job pass blocking. He still comes out of his stance to high imo and therefore loses leverage. This was readily apparent during the beginning of the game. He would snap the ball and come out high and would then get pushed back. For the most part though he was able to dig in while being pushed back and keep the Defender from making the play. However he did get beat by it a few times. As the game went on I think he got better and adjusted. JD is just a gamer through and through. On quite a few plays throughout the game he would be double teaming with hochstein or beadles. If however he was not needed on the double team- he would break off and slide over to the other side to try and take someone else out. HE did this a lot. I am sure they are trained to do that, but I never watched a C, before and I like that he does it! He does it well.

JD finishes all of his plays. He is constantly pushing people, and once he has taken them out he is moving on for more blood. Or if he is solo on a guy he willget them out and if he pankakes the guy (which he did a couple times) he will keep on him even while on the ground.

Run Block- Not to many run plays as you know. Also on some of them they did not have the camera on the play so I could not see it very well. JD looked so so here. Some plays he cleared a whole, others not so much. One thing he needs to work on is when diving at the defenders feet. Ryan clady also struggled with this I remember when I studied him a couple years ago. What they did was dive to early or miss and not take out the defender. Clady as we know has it down. JD will too i am sure. For now he needs to work on that. I saw several times on runs, screens etc that he could have punished his man or taken his feet out but did not get him thoroughly.

Negatives/ Areas of improvement:

He seems to struggle with quick guys or laterall moves. He was beat a few times by quick moves or crosses. This was one of the few things that he did not seem to correct much as the game went on. He needs to stay low and keep his leverage. As I said, when he came out high he was getting pushed back. When the DL stunted and crossed, he was a little slow in figuring out his guy or when to peel off and take the other guy crossing over. The bad short snap to tebow was all him. The one the quinn had I could not tell if it was both of them at fault. The ball did hit JD in the ass, but then again, isnt that where Bradys hands were supposed to be? ( no wonder brady chose to be a QB) ha. He also had a snap or two that were a little off to the side. Lastly, he does not get a consistent push in the run game. He might not necessarily get pushed back, but he is not moving the LOS either.

Positives:

He finishes his plays, and he finishes guys off. He was making some line calls and from what I could see from the tv they seemed correct. (obviously hard to tell cuz we cant hear or anything) But when he did make the calls the protection was there. On the Tuck rule fumble tebow had. JD was there and chased the entire play down. He also went in for the tackle after frosty got up from falling, however JD missed and hit the guy blocking. Still he hustled his fat ass all the way down to the goalline. Some guys like Batiste? I think gave up and stopped running. JD did not! JD peels off his blocks and looks for more. He also does well getting to the second level. If you ever watch him he is always hitting or pushing someone. Always. Even if it is a cb after the play is over he istrying to clear them out.

Overall analysis- JD like many of us knew will start from day 1 and be a rock solid player centering our line. He still has things to learn and areas to improve on. His skills and potential though make him imo the ultimate steal of the draft. If he progresses like I think he will, he should likely have gone 1st/2nd round (high for a C i know) and see some probowls for sure. He learns from his mistakes and is pretty cerebral in diagnosing the plays and blocks. He never gives up or takes plays off. JD will be and Anchor for our line and if we keep clady and harris I think we will have one of the best OL in the biz after he gets some experience. This guy is the real deal and is only going to get better and better and better!!

ikillz0mbies
08-16-2010, 10:35 PM
Great analysis man! Taught me a few things on how a lineman should play. How about one on Beadles?

underrated29
08-16-2010, 10:40 PM
Yeah I will do beadles tomorrow and probably the starting LT (in case clady is not back) or someone on defense like ayers.

broncobryce
08-16-2010, 10:41 PM
I do remember one screen where he blew the block and let his guy make the tackle. Thanks for the breakdown.

dogfish
08-16-2010, 11:13 PM
Yeah I will do beadles tomorrow

:shocked:

Italianmobstr7
08-17-2010, 12:26 AM
This is an awesome thread! Great job U29!

muse
08-17-2010, 04:42 AM
Great post, I've been looking for some OL feedback.

I do like his tenacity and hustle and he seems to be learning quite quickly which is very encouraging. Hopefully he won't wear down over the season...there will be some rookie mistakes and miscues etc. but I'm confident that he can establish himself as our long term solution at C this season.

GEM
08-17-2010, 09:55 AM
I am seriously excited about the future of our line. The pieces seem to be coming together and within a couple seasons they could become the real power to our team.