PDA

View Full Version : Broncos not working with Tebow's mechanics during the season

broncobryce
08-16-2010, 05:50 PM
Via Peter King's MMQB

I think its the right move. Learn the playbook.

Here is the part I'm talking about:

It's almost certain Tebow will be the number two quarterback to Kyle Orton, almost regardless of how Brady Quinn plays (poorly Sunday night), because coach Josh McDaniels is going to want to use Tebow in some goal-line and Wildcat plays at different spots on the field. As far as the mechanics, the Broncos have decided not to spend time during the season working on them the way he did in the spring; then, quarterbacks coach Ben McDaniels -- the head coach's brother -- would take Tebow aside three or four times a week and work for 50 to 60 minutes a session refining the long windup and delivery Tebow had. Josh McDaniels' theory is he wants Tebow working on the plays he's being taught, not continually thinking about his arm movements. Tebow's going to have a chance to play the way all Wildcats quarterbacks do. How much he plays depends on how he performs.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/08/15/mmqb/1.html#ixzz0woPZDu1U

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
08-16-2010, 07:26 PM
Good move, I don't know how big of a deal his mechanics not being perfect really is, but I feel like learning how to play in the NFL is a hell of a lot more important

broncofaninfla
08-16-2010, 07:36 PM
Phillip Rivers has horrible mechanics yet he smokes our *ss nearly every time we face them. If Tebow can get better at noy staring down his targets, he'll be fine.

TXBRONC
08-16-2010, 09:16 PM
Phillip Rivers has horrible mechanics yet he smokes our *ss nearly every time we face them. If Tebow can get better at noy staring down his targets, he'll be fine.

Agreed. Rivers mechanics are terrible but he still one of the most accurate quarterbacks in the League. I don't like saying that but it's true.

JDL
08-17-2010, 12:49 AM
Total apples and oranges.... Rivers has a short compact very repeatable throwing motion (read accurate) from a lower angle than ideal (which can cause some tips, but otherwise is not any kind of issue.)

Tebow's motion nearly caused a fumble TD, and two INTs because it allowed the pass rush to get there. Not being negative, those are just the facts of the game and something that will be an issue unless he eventually corrects it.

The only way that I can see overcoming that throwing motion is to roll him out a lot where he has extra time.

It is a mistake to not constantly be forcing him to re-teach his muscle memory, it is the only way it will change, if you are only going to bother to work on it a couple months a year, you might as well not even bother... he needs to be doing and working on it always... if he has any hope of correcting it.

Dirk
08-17-2010, 05:24 AM
I hear what you are saying JDL but if the Oline does it's job it doesn't really matter. Just sayin.

TimTebow15MVP
08-17-2010, 06:09 AM
mcdaniels doesnt have to work on that with tebow, tebow will work on it himself. the throwing motion was not a issue the last game. u only seen it once or twice. other than that the motion was smooth and accurate. tebow needs to focus on recognition. because if he sees the blitz coming and the bengals DID indeed show the blitz then he doesnt even get hit and the ball comes out quicker. like elway said once he knows whats going on the ball is coming out quicker anyway.

Elevation inc
08-17-2010, 06:36 AM
his mechanics are fine.......his reconigtion and decision making need improvment....the less he overthinks his throwing arm the better, becasue then he can focus on making plays quicker, which ultimately will speed up his release.......

Sconnie Bronco
08-17-2010, 09:44 AM
his mechanics are fine.......his reconigtion and decision making need improvment....the less he overthinks his throwing arm the better, becasue then he can focus on making plays quicker, which ultimately will speed up his release.......

This. He needs to improve seeing the field and improve his decision making. As he does that, the wind up becomes less of an issue and down the road it might actually improve how he gets rid of the ball.

But Im optimistic. When the bullets started flying, he didnt exactly curl up in the fetal position. He gave himself space by scrambling and made plays. Its like the NFL game is a little fast for him but I didnt think he was completely overwhelmed even with Zimmer throwing blitzes at him.

SOCALORADO.
08-17-2010, 10:02 AM
This. He needs to improve seeing the field and improve his decision making. As he does that, the wind up becomes less of an issue and down the road it might actually improve how he gets rid of the ball.

But Im optimistic. When the bullets started flying, he didnt exactly curl up in the fetal position. He gave himself space by scrambling and made plays. Its like the NFL game is a little fast for him but I didnt think he was completely overwhelmed even with Zimmer throwing blitzes at him.

This.
Question. How many of the other rookie QBs did what Tebow did?
You know recognizing that he was being pressured from all over, and yet still was able to make things happen, sustain drives and then score when it was all on the line at the very end of the game, with scrub players who couldnt catch a ball if it impaled them between the #'s??
Answer-None.

Sconnie Bronco
08-17-2010, 10:09 AM
This.
Question. How many of the other rookie QBs did what Tebow did?
You know recognizing that he was being pressured from all over, and yet still was able to make things happen, sustain drives and then score when it was all on the line at the very end of the game, with scrub players who couldnt catch a ball if it impaled them between the #'s??
Answer-None.

Absolutely. But im not so sure he was recognizing the defense as much as he was just reacting to it...which kind of makes it even more impressive. If that guy learns to recognize the defenses and accelerates his decision making, watch out.

I counted at least twice when he pulled out of tackles simply because he is incredibly powerful. None of the other rookies can do that.

And the thing about the collision in the endzone is that #34 probably thought it was a good idea to light Tebow up...that was until he didnt get up.

nbenallo33
08-17-2010, 10:15 AM
who cares about his mechanics, everyone was talking about strasburgs mechanis and he is doing pretty damn good with the Nationals..
if he can throw the ball let him throw how he has been doing for years... it has gotten him to the pros why change

SOCALORADO.
08-17-2010, 10:17 AM
Absolutely. But im not so sure he was recognizing the defense as much as he was just reacting to it...which kind of makes it even more impressive. If that guy learns to recognize the defenses and accelerates his decision making, watch out.

I counted at least twice when he pulled out of tackles simply because he is incredibly powerful. None of the other rookies can do that.

And the thing about the collision in the endzone is that #34 probably thought it was a good idea to light Tebow up...that was until he didnt get up.

Yeah, the fact that he just reacted that way could be looked at as even more impressive considering he was in his 1st NFL game, and he was just reacting to what he saw after the ball was snapped. A great learning experience, and instead of just trying to survive, he immediately tries to
beat the test! And he did beat it! Oh, and he left a couple victims on the field on that last run.
Thats whats so encouraging, and also what amazes me about his naysayers.
Elluding those tackles and then getting into position to throw, accurately of course, on the run sometimes, all the while moving the chains and grinding out yards was great to watch.
Cant wait to see him with the 1st teamers.
The guy is a baller.

broncobryce
08-17-2010, 10:25 AM
I don't think he fumbled because of his throwing motion. He fumbled because he failed to see the blitz. The throwing motion is blown out of proportion IMO
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Elevation inc
08-17-2010, 10:43 AM
I don't think he fumbled because of his throwing motion. He fumbled because he failed to see the blitz. The throwing motion is blown out of proportion IMO
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

exactly....and i wasnt paying to much attention NFL wide but in the games i watched i didnt see to many Delay CB blitzes by third string Cb's while rushing 5 or 6 in the 4th quarter against any other of the rookies.....

like i said my guess is mike zimmer just didnt wanna hear all teh crap on the NFL network about how good tebow looked so he dialed in some pressure calls you dont see in the pre-season in game 1 or 2 and our team wasnt prepared at all.....

had the opposing DC been someone like slowik, tebow probally would have smashed records:lol:

Sconnie Bronco
08-17-2010, 11:45 AM
exactly....and i wasnt paying to much attention NFL wide but in the games i watched i didnt see to many Delay CB blitzes by third string Cb's while rushing 5 or 6 in the 4th quarter against any other of the rookies.....

like i said my guess is mike zimmer just didnt wanna hear all teh crap on the NFL network about how good tebow looked so he dialed in some pressure calls you dont see in the pre-season in game 1 or 2 and our team wasnt prepared at all.....

had the opposing DC been someone like slowik, tebow probally would have smashed records:lol:

Exactly. Again, if he sees the field and quickens his decision making, the throwing motion becomes less of an issue.

BTW, I thought it was interesting how the the DB collided with him when his arm was behind him but he was still strong enough to follow through to get the incompletion.

He's gotta start picking up what the defense is doing though. If he does, he could be great.