PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone notice the perfection in play calling for Tebows...

Sconnie Bronco
08-16-2010, 12:10 PM
Did anyone notice the perfection in play calling for Tebow's first series? Let me recap to remind you.

First play was a bootleg with Tebow rolling out to his left to hit Branson in the flat. Depending on what the defense was doing, it almost seemed like a Tebow run/pass option was part of the play design.

Then, the next play, they run the ball.

So, after running a play giving Tebow a run option out in the flat and after running the ball, what do they come back with on 3rd down? They let Tebow play to his other strength by throwing the deep ball.

They used a run play and Tebows ability to run to set up the deep pass. Also by throwing it to Branson in the flat, they stretched the the defense horizontally.

Dare I say, it was almost Shanahan-like, especially with the bootleg.

I can see a lot of this with Tebow and I think thats why he was drafted. They can use his ability to run to pull up the defense and also bring it up by making the defense play horizontally. And when that happens, Tebow can punish them up-top.

He has raw skills that can be used against a defense in a very basic, but sometimes effective way.

Now, we just need to get Tim to read the field before he gets killed. But you have to feel pretty good about where this could be going with Tebow. So much was made out of what people felt he couldnt do and people totally ignored what he can do.

muse
08-16-2010, 01:35 PM
They used a run play and Tebows ability to run to set up the deep pass. Also by throwing it to Branson in the flat, they stretched the the defense horizontally.

Dare I say, it was almost Shanahan-like, especially with the bootleg.

Haha, it was right out of the Shanahan playbook that one, double tight set, line moves right (could be wrong, the blocking looked like zone to me), TT boots left with the the TEs at shallow and intermediate depths.

After that, all we need is to hit Decker on the backside post for a serious trip down memory lane :lol: McD said he wanted to run an ameoba offence and I think we're beginning to see a lot more variety in the playcalling - for example, this is an excellent play to run against an aggressive 4-3 team (and let's face it, it's hardly Patriots football) - so hopefully by year 3 we should have A LOT of different plays from a range of systems to help us hit the weakpoint for massive damage.