PDA

View Full Version : Excited for the new defense?

sneakers
08-16-2010, 06:47 AM
We have another D-cord and another Defense to learn this year (before he is fired at the end of the year and a new one is brought in), and signs that indicate this will be better than last years?

To be honest I wasn't really paying attention to the Defense (I was playing Final Fantasy 13 while the Defense was on the field)

gobroncsnv
08-16-2010, 06:48 AM
First team did well. We were up 14-0 while they were in.

silkamilkamonico
08-16-2010, 06:53 AM
First team did well. We were up 14-0 while they were in.

Agreed. And that was without some key starters. Am curious to see how many people are going to pull the "our defense sucks because our 2nd-3rd-4th" teamers couldn't tackle anybody!

Traveler
08-16-2010, 07:00 AM
I did watch the defense last night. Couldn't have been more vanilla. No blitzes, just the base 3-4 and sometimes switching to a 4-3.

Still no sign of a decent pass rush although Ayers got close a few times.

Seems like Martindale isn't planning on showing much until the regular season starts.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-16-2010, 07:00 AM
I think they'll be better vs the run but worse vs the pass due to a lack of QB pressure. Even the 1st teamers couldn't get to Palmer last night. He had ALL DAY. For being the "star of TC" Ayers was the "missing man" last night. I don't think he even had one tackle.

Without a star pass rusher like Elvis, we're going to have to rely on mixing up a lot of fronts and blitz packages to generate pressure but that opens us up down the middle and vs the run (as we all saw last night as Shipley and Gresham ate our lunch down the seam and their running game was almost unstoppable).

Lonestar
08-16-2010, 07:21 AM
IIRC this was CIN second game this year and our first. They were division champs and have beena damned fine TEAM for a long time. While I have not followed that much, not many changes on O. They had a great D last year also.

Let's not expect a superblow season.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Tned
08-16-2010, 07:45 AM
IIRC this was CIN second game this year and our first. They were division champs and have beena damned fine TEAM for a long time. While I have not followed that much, not many changes on O. They had a great D last year also.

Let's not expect a superblow season.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

They had a decent year last year and a good defense, but they have not been a good team for a long time. They were a 4 game winner the year before last. 7 wins the year before that. They have only had two winning seasons in the last 20 years or so.

However, you are correct about it being their second game. I posted the reminder in the game day thread that they started camp a week earlier than us (teams in the HOF game get an extra week fo training camp) and this was their second game, so it makes sense they are further ahead of the curve than us.

LRtagger
08-16-2010, 08:41 AM
Considering a few of the starters last night on defense are actually reserve players, I didn't feel too badly about it. They reminded me of the 05 defense. Didn't make any spectacular plays (aside from Champ), but didnt give up any points.

Shipley and their running game didnt do much until the reserves came in.

Some of the reserve players really need to pick it up. For as much praise as Cox got during camp he really stunk it up last night. He was bad in coverage and bad in the return game. For as big as Mays is, he is a terrible tackler. A.Smith was OK, but they didnt really throw his way much. It was nice to see him taking on runners and trying to make tackles.

I saw a lot of the reserves give up on plays before they were over which resulted in some long runs. I hope to see some improvement in the next game.

Grover
08-16-2010, 08:59 AM
Yes, it was very vanilla as another poster stated.

I was disappointed in Ayers. He seemed to be playing a step slower than everyone else. Seemed confused in space and was a bit late to the QB when pass rushing, and late to the ball carrier when defending the pass or run. Early yet, but I was hoping to see more from him.

Jammie Kirlew played a bit more than I thought he might. He has a good push and collapsed the pocket a bit, and even had one sack. But I also was hoping to see more moves from him. Seems like he's got a power move only, and was held at bay by the Tackle most of the time.

I was impressed by #48, Alexander. He played with energy and seemed to make good decisions. I think he makes the team.

Nate Jones - not so much.

Champ Bailey - Just ask him how much he wants to play and when, and save him for the regular season. He's ready. Have Ben McDaniels serve him Gatorade and Power Bars.

BroncoWave
08-16-2010, 09:03 AM
Considering the Bengals have a really good offense and we were without DJ and Dawk, I was very impressed. I think we will be just fine on D if there are no more major injuries.

PAINTERDAVE
08-16-2010, 10:24 AM
We have another D-cord and another Defense to learn this year (before he is fired at the end of the year and a new one is brought in), and signs that indicate this will be better than last years?

To be honest I wasn't really paying attention to the Defense (I was playing Final Fantasy 13 while the Defense was on the field)

Look... McD has been here one year.
They revamped the defense to a 3-4.
Nolan, the DC, and McD did not mesh well...
Nolan wanted out... McD accomodated him.

They hired from in house... Wink is continueing the same defensive scheme.
Wink will be here for the duration... if he/we have success.
There is some level of consistancy here...
and I expect there to be more over the next few seasons.

All those other fired DC's under Shanahan...
that is irrelevant to this new team.

That is like blaming your new wife for the way your life was with your ex-wife.

Lonestar
08-16-2010, 11:11 AM
They had a decent year last year and a good defense, but they have not been a good team for a long time. They were a 4 game winner the year before last. 7 wins the year before that. They have only had two winning seasons in the last 20 years or so.

However, you are correct about it being their second game. I posted the reminder in the game day thread that they started camp a week earlier than us (teams in the HOF game get an extra week fo training camp) and this was their second game, so it makes sense they are further ahead of the curve than us.

I do not actually count wins and loses as the end all in judging a team.. I also look at coaching and Talent.

the raider per see suck as a team but it is not for a lack of talent it is coaching and ownership.

CIN has had a a lot of talent for years but has IMO lacked commitment to excellence in keeping said players and coaching..

So when I say good team well I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

They had a great defense last year and with the addition of benson a legit contender IF they are not out coached or Palmer does not go down like he did a few years ago one of the reason for a 4 win season IIRC.

IMHO

Lonestar
08-16-2010, 11:16 AM

maybe I missed the new scheme for defense being installed.

We are playing a #-4 same as last year but with some different "better" players. yes we have a NEW DC but about all that is changing is we will blitz more which was not in the game plan last night IIRC..

I'm willing to give the new guy a chance as his players seem to like and work for him.

broncofaninfla
08-16-2010, 11:37 AM
Winks running a pretty vanilla scheme right now. He'll put the players in postion to make plays in game #1 at Jax. I saw flashes of promise with some of the players but also saw some concerns as well, mainly at the ILB spots.

Skinny
08-16-2010, 11:40 AM
I'm a little excited. More curious than anything.

Sconnie Bronco
08-16-2010, 11:42 AM
I need to see more.

Slick
08-16-2010, 11:43 AM
Hey sneak. Playing final fantasy while the Broncos are on is extremely ghey.

BORDERLINE
08-16-2010, 01:47 PM
our LB's need to step up...1st string secondary played well....alphonso smith needs to learn how to wrap up and tackle when a guy is in front of you...still 1st game and just look for improvement from here on out

Slick
08-16-2010, 01:49 PM
our LB's need to step up...1st string secondary played well....alphonso smith needs to learn how to wrap up and tackle when a guy is in front of you...still 1st game and just look for improvement from here on out

I'm afraid there's no hope for Alphonso, Borderline. He sucks out loud.

Northman
08-16-2010, 01:51 PM
I'm afraid there's no hope for Alphonso, Borderline. He sucks out loud.

Indeed. For such a high prospect he has shown nothing.

SOCALORADO.
08-16-2010, 02:02 PM
Indeed. For such a high prospect he has shown nothing.

Alphie is a bust. Nate Jones will play the nickel. Cox struggled a bit, but he was in position throughout the game when he played, and thats good for a rookie playing in his 1st game.
The commentators were bragging about him getting run over by a linemen, but i was just happy he was there to take up space, so others could make a play! Sometimes thats all you can do! Woodyard looked great. Dude has some serious closing speed and good play recognition.
I guess McBath was injured. Hope its not too serious.
Champ and Goodman are ready. Dawk and DJ didnt even play so i would like to see the complete 1st team out there for a quarter.
Bannan and JWilliams need to get some more tima as well before a real accessment can be made though. I want to see the space eaters collape that line for an entire half.

Lonestar
08-16-2010, 02:08 PM
was not impressed with cox in the plays I saw him in and the fumbleroski did not help him at all.

as for Smith I want to say bust but then I see him breaking up stuff in practice . I think he makes the squad this year and if he does not show up during the season he will be gone.

I'm a firm believer that great CB are wither born that way or it takes a while for them to be able to play at the NFL level.

Time will tell on them both.

LRtagger
08-16-2010, 02:35 PM
Alphie is a bust. Nate Jones will play the nickel. Cox struggled a bit, but he was in position throughout the game when he played, and thats good for a rookie playing in his 1st game.
The commentators were bragging about him getting run over by a linemen, but i was just happy he was there to take up space, so others could make a play! Sometimes thats all you can do! Woodyard looked great. Dude has some serious closing speed and good play recognition.
I guess McBath was injured. Hope its not too serious.
Champ and Goodman are ready. Dawk and DJ didnt even play so i would like to see the complete 1st team out there for a quarter.
Bannan and JWilliams need to get some more tima as well before a real accessment can be made though. I want to see the space eaters collape that line for an entire half.

Jones got absolutely worked last night. He was awful.

I didn't see much from Smith besides a missed tackle and one play where a big ass tight end ran over him. They didnt throw his way at all. They were throwing at Cox and Jones who both sucked.

Grover
08-16-2010, 02:47 PM
Jones sucked more than Cox sucked. ;)

HORSEPOWER 56
08-16-2010, 06:06 PM
Jones sucked more than Cox sucked. ;)

Jones was also playing out of position at Safety all night.

gobroncsnv
08-16-2010, 07:24 PM
I would have been shocked if they HAD shown more than a very base D in preseason. They are just trying to find out how much talent and fit some of these guys have right now. Don't be looking too much for a lot of stunts and that kind of thing right now. Wait til the games start to count. I would be bummed if we show too much of our hand. This is just for knocking the rust off and seeing what kind of talent we have.