PDA

View Full Version : Are We Getting the WR, Washington Thought They Were Getting?

Sconnie Bronco
08-16-2010, 02:18 AM
Remember when Washington gave Brandon Lloyd big money to go to their franchise and his inconsistencies followed him there? And then he spent a year or two uneventful years in Chicago.

The guy has been identified as a talent. Everyone who has seen his highlight reel catches knows this. But has anyone considered that Brandon Lloyd might be finally coming into his own and he might, actually, be our best WR?

Its a little strange to think about because it seems he was kind of written off but starting last year and so far this year, he seems to have stepped up his game.

Is anyone else starting to warm up to Lloyd or recognizing that he could be a far bigger player than people have acknowledged?

TimTebow15MVP
08-16-2010, 02:49 AM
No, Lloyd is the most talented inconsistant wideout i ever seen in my life. He will indeed make some bigtime catches for us this year as he always does but you wont hear from him for awhile after that catch.... Deserving of a roster spot because he can be a threat and he will make some catches but for the most part hes just a guy running around out there. I hope im wrong though and he does become a consistant playmaker and not just once every 2-3 week type of player like hes been.

sneakers
08-16-2010, 03:16 AM
Did that WR we drafted in the first round even play tonight?

Lonestar
08-16-2010, 04:04 AM
Sometimes the WR is a diva. Hell most of them are.

Major head cases.

Is BL that or just like most of them that take a while. To get it.

It is a rare WR that is an imapct player in their first few years.
Less than two a year are great coming straight out of college.

Maybe it is just time for it all to come together for him.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Jagsbch
08-16-2010, 08:19 AM
But has anyone considered that Brandon Lloyd might be finally coming into his own and he might, actually, be our best WR?
Is anyone else starting to warm up to Lloyd or recognizing that he could be a far bigger player than people have acknowledged?

Brandon had 23 yards it is a little early to be hailing him as the best WR on the team. :D

SmilinAssasSin27
08-16-2010, 08:20 AM
Maybe BL is actually growing up a bit and sees an opportunity w/ a spread the ball offense, the 2 rookies hurting and BMarsh in Miami? Maybe...

Jagsbch
08-16-2010, 08:28 AM
http://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/getty/2010/09000d5d819c7863_gallery_600.jpg

Sconnie Bronco
08-16-2010, 09:15 AM
Brandon had 23 yards it is a little early to be hailing him as the best WR on the team. :D

I said he might actually be.

And the talent is there. Its not out of the realm that he could be if he becomes more consistent. What I honestly expected from him in less than successful runs in Washington and Chicago was that he would come in and be roster filler and then after last year kind of fade into the background. But it doesnt seem like thats happening. He has worked his way onto the field.

PAINTERDAVE
08-16-2010, 09:59 AM

Thomas and Decker were both held out of the game.. dinged up.
Did not even make the trip.

Jagsbch
08-16-2010, 10:02 AM
Brandon dropped a perfectly catchable ball on 3rd and 4 during the second drive. The drop killed that drive.:welcome:

On the next drive he made up for it with first down catch to set up the Broncos in the redzone, and then followed that up with a sideline reception to gain 6 yards and after a rushing play Orton threw him another sideline reception for a TD.

This in no way shape or fashion places Brandon on any pedestal whatsoever. This receiving corp is loaded to the hilt. Brandon makes the team, but whether or not he even starts, remains to be seen.

I love my DVR

PAINTERDAVE
08-16-2010, 10:06 AM

I expect to see the ball distributed widely among the fleet of wideouts we have.

McD was thrilled with the pass attack in that game... said so.

It looks like we are possibly gonna move away from the run as a main focus.

I say... good.

Last season they were all stacking the line against us and most of BMarsh's receptions were in catch up mode after we had gone way down.

I was thrilled to see the broncos throw the ball on first down and stretch the field. I have called for that play since week 4 last season.

That tired old punch the RB up the gut for no gain on first down had become our standard play. We knew it, they knew it... and it got us nothing but a stacked line and a short field.

GEM
08-16-2010, 10:06 AM

No, he hurt the scar tissue in the already injured foot at the practice at Invesco. He should be back for the 1st game.

Sconnie Bronco
08-16-2010, 10:09 AM
I expect to see the ball distributed widely among the fleet of wideouts we have.

I say... good.

Last season they were all stacking the line against us and most of BMarsh's receptions were in catch up mode after we had gone way down.

I was thrilled to see the broncos throw the ball on first down and stretch the field. I have called for that play since week 4 last season.

That tired old punch the RB up the gut for no gain on first down had become our standard play. We knew it, they knew it... and it got us nothing but a stacked line and a short field.

No, its important to run the ball well.

Jagsbch
08-16-2010, 10:31 AM

No doubt.

The Bengals had nearly twice the time of possession because they could do just that against our defensive line.

Bengals Rushed for 40/191 yards
Broncos rushed for 15/31 yards

I have to admit, I was totally shocked to see the defensiveline give up nearly 200 yards rushing, while the O-line held its own for the most part in the passing game until late in the game.

I don't know if it was the lack of depth or the need for experience in the new system that kept the starters D'Anthony Batiste, J.D. Walton, Zane Beadles, and Russ Hochstein out there virtually the entire game.

I am going to list what I expected the RB's to get and what they got
Lance Ball (8) 6/27
Bruce Hall (5) 5/-3
Toney Baker (5)
Lendale White (5)
Justin Fargas (5)

75% redzone efficiency is great.

The thing that sticks out to me most about the game last night was the coaching reflected in the number of penalties.

Broncos 4/57 yards For the first game of the preseason I'd say this is outstanding.

Bengals 7/104 yards? You do not want to give your opponent a 104 yard handicap. And this was their second game of the preseason.

PAINTERDAVE
08-16-2010, 10:50 AM

No doubt ... the run game is important.
Common knowledge is "the Run sets up the pass".

Our team last year, however, only ever ran the ball on first down.
I mean hardly EVER, did they throw the ball on first down.
We would go for no gain with a run... short gain on 2nd down with another weak run...
which set up our pathetic 3rd down record last season.
Other defenses knew we were one dimensional.
They stacked the line against us...
ignoring anything on the field beyond 15 yards. This collapsed our o-line over and over.

The run failed. The bubble screens failed.
There were NO LONG PASSEs to stretch the field... to keep the defense honest.

Throwing the ball on the first down of the game set the Bengals back on their heels.

Keeping the defense off balance with a good passing attack is CRITICAL to opening up the running game.

Once the rest of the league begins to respect our ability to throw tha ball...
then we will have success again on both sides of the offense running and passing.

PAINTERDAVE
08-16-2010, 10:54 AM
As far as stats for the entire game...

it is pre-season. Only the first few series were indicitive of what reality is for this team.

The bengals control of the ball with the run against our 3rd string in the second half is inconsequential.

GEM
08-16-2010, 10:56 AM
The coach decided to play away from where we are decimated right now. He knows that Hall and Ball are not starter quality and knew that there would be little to no success there. He game planned around the injuries. I don't think it's any significant sign that we won't have a running game once the RB's are healthy again.

underrated29
08-16-2010, 11:07 AM
I have seen lloyd consistently get separation in camp. That is where he is really excelling if you ask me. As for being the best or anything else. No, I doubt it, but in our offense if you can get open- you can get a lot of balls...(wes welker- always open, tons of catches)

lloyd could do that, but he is certainly not the best. Super talented, but until he puts it all together He is solid.

DenBronx
08-16-2010, 11:22 AM
I wouldn't go out on a limb and say Llyod is our best WR but Kyle deffinitely will have some weapons this year.

Lonestar
08-16-2010, 11:22 AM

I say... good.

:salute:
we have been trying that since F Little played here and with the exception of TD and sometimes CP it fared poorly

Slick
08-16-2010, 11:47 AM
The coach decided to play away from where we are decimated right now. He knows that Hall and Ball are not starter quality and knew that there would be little to no success there. He game planned around the injuries. I don't think it's any significant sign that we won't have a running game once the RB's are healthy again.

I agree although I'm not all that optimistic about our running game going into this season. It's too early to make judgments, I realize that, but I'm still not all that optimistic.

Orton is going to get killed if we don't figure out a way to run the ball more effectively.

turftoad
08-16-2010, 01:20 PM
Lloyd has the worst case of alligator arms I've ever seen in a WR. I've noticed that since he came into the league. If he's wide open he's fine, if he thinks he may get hit, forget it.

TXBRONC
08-16-2010, 01:48 PM
I agree although I'm not all that optimistic about our running game going into this season. It's too early to make judgments, I realize that, but I'm still not all that optimistic.

Orton is going to get killed if we don't figure out a way to run the ball more effectively.

I think if Moreno and Buckhalter can get healthy we'll be alright and with Fargas and White we should have solid depth.

PAINTERDAVE
08-16-2010, 10:59 PM
:salute:
we have been trying that since F Little played here and with the exception of TD and sometimes CP it fared poorly

Yeah... it is not that the pass game is more important than the run...
I know conventional wisdom says the run sets up the pass...
but with Orton's inability to connect on the long pass...
and McD's failure to call for a throw on first down last year...
we had no game in either area.

That is why I am excited that we will be throwing to many different recievers...
and with what I saw yesterday... that first down passing call to kick off the game..
we get a stretched field.

That will make the run work.

Lonestar
08-16-2010, 11:09 PM

That is why I am excited that we will be throwing to many different recievers...
and with what I saw yesterday... that first down passing call to kick off the game..

Yet in this scheme the passing game begets more passing if they can get all the receivers on the correct page and they start running the routes correctly there will always be an open man. Many of the routes are designed to pic the defender off using an official or another WR thus creating the open guy.

I really believe that like the WCO our passing game is just like a long hand off.

we will see more passing and less running IMHO yet the RB's will be getting into the passing game more than before gets them out in space.

Time will tell.

TXBRONC
08-16-2010, 11:12 PM

Even though throwing deep isn't Orton's strength I still think it is important for them take some shot down field. If they don't defensive coordinators will disregard the long ball and focus on the short and intermediate routes.

Sconnie Bronco
08-17-2010, 09:47 AM
As far as stats for the entire game...

it is pre-season. Only the first few series were indicitive of what reality is for this team.

The bengals control of the ball with the run against our 3rd string in the second half is inconsequential.

Kind of. Im a little concerned about the running game. If we cant run and teams know this, Im a little worried of how that might affect our passing game over the course of time.