PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Masons take on tonights game

DenBronx
08-16-2010, 02:16 AM
Quick Recap: Bengals 33, Broncos 24

http://maxdenver.com/blog1/2010/08/16/quick-recap-bengals-33-broncos-24/#more-927

CINCINNATI – The Broncos spotted the Cincinnati Bengals a 14-0 deficit before being left grasping in the wake of a 33-3 run that turned the game 180 degrees and gave Cincinnati a 33-24 win in front of 51.278 at Paul Brown Stadium on Sunday night.

THE BASICS: Denver flourished at the outset, marching to a pair of touchdowns on its first three series. Most of the damage was done by quarterback Kyle Orton, who completed eight of 13 passes to six different pass-catchers during his one quarter of work. Orton finished with 84 yards and two touchdown passes for a final rating of 119.9.

But when most of the Broncos’ first team ceded the stage, Cincinnati took control. The Bengals left their first unit in the game for one drive against Denver’s No. 2 defense; the Bengals predictably marched 78 yards to a 1-yard Cedric Benson touchdown run. The Bengals would seize the lead with 2:15 left in the second quarter when David Jones intercepted a Brady Quinn pass and returned it 24 yards for a touchdown. Denver would fight back to force a 17-all deadlock at halftime, but the Broncos would never lead again.

THE FIRST-TEAM STANDOUTS:

Orton sizzled, but his best move might have come at the line of scrimmage before his second touchdown pass, when he called an audible to a pass to Brandon Lloyd.

“We run that play last year, we end up with a one- or two-yard gain. Instead it’s a touchdown,” McDaniels said.

Cornerback Champ Bailey was dominant in the first quarter against Bengals receivers Terrell Owens and Chad Ochocinco; he broke up two passes and stopped Owens on fourth down to snuff out the Bengals’ second drive.

“Champ Bailey really played well against a high level of competition,” said McDaniels. “t’s a preseason game but they weren’t playing like a preseason game.”

THE OTHER SIDE: Tim Tebow’s preseason debut was another milestone in his attempt to transition from Heisman Trophy-winning college quarterback to professional standout. One other man at Paul Brown Stadium understands exactly how he feels.

Cincinnati quarterback Carson Palmer is a success story when it comes to Heisman-winning quarterbacks in the NFL. In the last 20 years, he’s the success story, the only Heisman winner since 1990 to make the Pro Bowl.

Their styles contrast, but their background is shared. Palmer also recognizes the confidence and value of a successful college background in building confidence through developmental stages that can be as painful literally as figuratively.

So when Tebow stepped past a D’Anthony Batiste block and moved into the open field, Palmer knew what was going to happen, finger-licking defenders or covered receivers be damned.

“You just knew he was going to score on the last play of the game, whether he throws it or runs it in there,” Palmer said.

NOTES AND SUCH:

The Broncos’ injuries caught up with them as the game progressed. With reserves starting at two running back, inside linebacker, safety and both offensive-line slots, the Broncos played some starters deep into the second half.
The Broncos were air-intensive Sunday night, calling passes on 44 of their 59 snaps (74.6 percent). Ten of their first 11 plays were passes, and Orton passes on 13 of the 16 snaps he took. The only exceptions during Orton’s on-field stewardship were three Lance Ball runs for nine yards.
Matthew Willis was targeted eight times, but only caught two passes. The most painful non-catch came on Tebow’s first series in the third quarter, when Willis broke into the open field up the left sideline past Bengals cornerback Morgan Trent and had the third-down pass skip off his hands. But Willis did prove that his big-play touch in training camp was no fluke; he led the Broncos with two receptions for 54 yards, and was responsible for all but 14 of Brady Quinn’s yards.

DenBronx
08-16-2010, 02:18 AM
Given that in 6+ months of coaching Tebow didn’t really change his throwing motion, is it time to stop trying to?

CINCINNATI – No, because this game was only his first. Yes, it was a milestone moment, but it could only slightly illuminate his progress, since so much can be attributed to the game being his first time.

While practice is helpful and can simulate NFL game speed, it can’t mimic contact — at least not for quarterbacks. The five D’s of dodgeball might help you keep plays alive in practice, but at game time, darting around defenders in the backfield can be a ticket to an early exit and a CT scan.

Tebow spent most of his time on the field under duress as the Bengals sent safeties, corners and linebackers after him in an array of blitzes that were used more frequently after the first quarter. The highlight-reel hit Tebow absorbed from Bengals safety Jeromy Miles was a good example of this. There was little Tebow could have done once Miles was past running back Bruce Hall, who didn’t pick up Miles’s blitz in time. Other blitzes took their toll, and under stress, it’s only natural to revert to previous habits, whether you’re throwing a football or just out of law school.

Tebow spoke after the game of knowing that there’ll be correctable flaws when he watches game footage Monday. He understands better than anyone else that the process is lengthy, and not one with straight-line improvement. His first game was an example of this: a step forward, a step back, etc.

So to stop trying to tweak his motion … no. Not after only three and a half months as a Bronco.

Sconnie Bronco
08-16-2010, 02:23 AM
I think as much as contact (and probably more than contact) its information overload. His head has to be swimming in terms of processing information. Again, as Elway said, once he starts seeing the field, I think it makes sense that we will then see him start accelerating his windup. I think theres a lot of information for him to process now...even though he had a good night and didnt seem THAT overwhelmed, that doesnt mean his head wasnt swimming.

Jagsbch
08-16-2010, 07:45 AM
:elefant::elefant:“You just knew he was going to score on the last play of the game, whether he throws it or runs it in there,” Palmer said.:elefant::elefant:

Jagsbch
08-16-2010, 08:03 AM
Matthew Willis was targeted eight times, but only caught two passes.

:confused:

DenBronx
08-16-2010, 11:54 AM
I think as much as contact (and probably more than contact) its information overload. His head has to be swimming in terms of processing information. Again, as Elway said, once he starts seeing the field, I think it makes sense that we will then see him start accelerating his windup. I think theres a lot of information for him to process now...even though he had a good night and didnt seem THAT overwhelmed, that doesnt mean his head wasnt swimming.

There will come a time when we stop trying to tweek his throwing motion and just let him play. They tried with Rothlesberger, Favre ect. but eventually they just had to let them do what they know best and just let them play football. Tim mechanics are really not all that bad. What little delay in his windup before the release he makes up for it with his feet. I think his footwork is tremendous.

And...don't go knocking his arm strength. Dudes got a cannon.

Sconnie Bronco
08-16-2010, 12:19 PM
There will come a time when we stop trying to tweek his throwing motion and just let him play. They tried with Rothlesberger, Favre ect. but eventually they just had to let them do what they know best and just let them play football. Tim mechanics are really not all that bad. What little delay in his windup before the release he makes up for it with his feet. I think his footwork is tremendous.

Youre talking to the wrong guy on that one. Ive been telling people this. That throw on that 3rd down conversion where he hit his man in the breastplate was a seed.

TXBRONC
08-16-2010, 12:29 PM

Agreed they can only try to adjust that to a point. While it may never be picture perfect there are only two really matter when it comes to throwing motion.

1.) Throwing it accurately.

2.) Throwing it quickly.

Sconnie Bronco
08-16-2010, 12:33 PM
Agreed they can only try to adjust that to a point. While it may never be picture perfect there are only two really matter when it comes to throwing motion.

1.) Throwing it accurately.

2.) Throwing it quickly.

Elway was dead on with his analysis. What matters most is reading the field. Once he's able to do that (and also gets a clock in his head), the throwing motion becomes less of an issue because he can work around it by simply making a quicker decision.

I dont know why so much is being made of the throwing motion. Its not like Cutler didnt have a big wind up too. Its also not like Tebow is Orton and cant create space for himself with his feet.

Again, the bigger issue is reading the field and making a decision more quickly.

WARHORSE
08-16-2010, 01:17 PM

Ahhh.

True understanding.

Considering the pressure he was under, the man remained focused.

The stage is not too big for him.

And I concur, once the game speeds up, so will his release.

Tebow, until the day he takes off the pads for good, will always tell you, "I have alot to work on."

And thats the mentality that McD wants in the lockeroom.

Tebows a stud.:salute:

rcsodak
08-16-2010, 11:43 PM
:confused:

Wonder how many of those were FED-EX'D by AIR passes from Quinn?