PDA

View Full Version : My Observations of the Preseason game vs the Bengals

Northman
08-15-2010, 06:46 PM
(1st Quarter)

Starters offense:

Oline: Did a very good job protecting Orton and giving him time. Even with Clady
out they did a great job of protection. The blocking for the RB's still seem to be a
bit of a problem but initially i havent seen enough runs to make a conclusive
determination.

QB: Im about 50/50 on Orton. Even when healthy im still seeing the lack of
quick decision making. On some passes he looks real good and on others he
makes some poor decisions. Obviously, he can throw it down the field (duh) but
on the pass to Lloyd it was under thrown and in double coverage. On the first drive
his pass to the back of the defenders helmet got bailed out by the roughing the
passer call. Im hoping that later on in this game that Quinn or Tebow show more. Good
news is that Orton is utilizing his pocket presence and moving up when necessary.

RB: Hard to judge with over half the unit out with injuries but it still looks like
we have issues making a impact with the running game. But so far the play calling
hasnt favored any real dedication to the run.

WR: Royal and Gaffney did a solid job when the passes were on target so i was
quite pleased with their production. Still have to see how the rest of the game
goes. Nice move by Brandon Lloyd on the TD reception. Kind of interesting to see
Lloyd going downfield a lot as i never perceived him to be a burner.

Starters defense:

Still have some problems getting to the QB and third down stops are still concerning.
However, when Cincy got into Denver territory the defense stepped up (Champ mainly)
and got some big stops forcing long FG attempt and 4th down conversion. One major
concern is our ability to cover the TE. Gresham is looking all world so far and making
plays on our LB core.

Special Teams: So far so good, no huge returns.

(End of 1st Quarter.)

Broncos- 14
Bengals- 0

Ill update as each quarter concludes.

(2nd Quarter)

Oline: So far Quinn is facing a lot of pressure on 1st and 2nd down in the first series.
But the starters are out so he's going to have a lot of fun tonight if that keeps up. Since the
first two series it seems they have improved a little which is good but unfortuantely the QB
is breaking down massively.

QB: Not a good start for Brady. 3 and out in the first series. On the second series Quinn
bobbled the snap but got it back. Bleh. When Quinn has had time to throw he throws
it too the 15 ft troll. I was really hoping for a better showing by him thus far. Punt time.
Quinn throws a pick 6 which is not a promising outlook for our backup. Very bad decision
on Quinns part. We could very well see Tebow as the #2 but it is the first preseason game.
Quinn is able to drive down the field but he was severely aided by 2 PI's calls. The passes
themselves were terrible. Unable to get into the endzone but settled for a FG.

RB: Still no push from the Oline (backkups at this point) but the backs are not making
anything out of the room either. Ohhhh, Lance Ball found something but not much. I can
say i like Ball's running style. I hope we keep him on the roster when all is said and done.

WR: Nothing to report, the receivers would need a step ladder to catch the balls right now.
For the most part if the ball hits the receivers hands they catch it so thats very promising. Its
just going to fall on the shoulders of how accurate our QB's are going to be this year.

Defense: Still lacking a serious pass rush even with the (2nd teamers) in. Depth could be
serious issue. Not a whole lot of great points to show for as Bengals currently driving with
Palmer finding open receivers with little problem. Bengals moving the ball pretty much at
will on our backups with no one really stepping up. At this point it will probably be better
to focus on individual play and see if any certain players standout rather than the entire
unit but so far nothing too exciting. Some really piss poor tackling something that has
plagued this team in past years mainly Cox on the 48 yd run. McD needs to stress the
fundamentals with that a lot more. Unacceptable.

Special Teams: Still not huge gains given up but nothing electric on our end either.

(End of 2nd Quarter)

Broncos- 17
Bengals- 17

Halftime

(3rd Quarter)

Offense: Quinn looked a little better on his passes but it was still rough, same with the Oline.
Still struggling running the ball when given the chance. And we have a Tebow sighting with a nice
rollout to start. Tebow had a nice bomb to Willis which was dropped for the second time by said receiver. Tebow's accuracy is fantastic thus far. I feel a sense of Teborade coming on.

Defense: Dont ask, Benard Scott is running rampant ala Darren Sproiles and our tackling is
terrible. Got to improve in that area.

Special Teams: Still nothing exciting and Perrish Cox muffed a punt which did him zero favors.

(End of 3rd Quarter)

Broncos- 17
Bengals- 23

(4th Quarter)

Bengals score to put it too a 12 point lead.

Offense: Not a great series for Tebow and offense but probably because we wasted time trying
to run on the tough Bengals backups. Tebow despite being under pressure in this game shows
a lot of confidence and seems very calm in the pocket. Makes a nice pass on 3rd and 3 and
doesnt hit the defender in the back of the helmet. Our run game SUCKS so bad i cant even
explain it. Our Oline gets no push whatsoever and just cannot open running lanes on a regular
basis. Tebow gets hit from behind and loses the ball which the Bengals take in for a score but it
looks like his arm was going forward. Review. Tuck rule so thank god its not a turnover. But, did
nothing on the next play. Not a great series for Timmy but when he had time to pass his passes
were on the mark. Not a bad showing considering. Nice game ending drive for Tebow. Very impressed.

Defense: Pretty much the same. No real improvements or standout players. Alphonso Smith is
showing absolutely nothing at this point so that is very disappointing.

Special Teams: Quan Crosby doing what Perrish Cox couldnt do on a punt return and get some
serious yardage and making a immediate impact both in returning and tackling on special teams.

(End of Game)

Broncos- 24
Bengals- 33

Overall the first unit looked good but i have to wonder how long they can carry that out without a
run game. It wont take long for opponents to catch on that we have no running threat and start to
complicate things for the offense. Defensively we havent really progressed like i would like. Still
some major questions there and considering we struggled with a struggling Bengal offense im not
sure where that leaves us. But, we have 3 more preseason games to see what else is there to work
with. Basically, this is my grades for tonight.

QB's: Orton- B
Quinn- F
Tebow- A-

RB's: as a group D

WR's: as a group B

Oline: Starters A

Defense: Starters C

Special Teams: as a group D

atwater27
08-15-2010, 07:15 PM
Orton IMO looked sharp as hell and actually exciting to watch. The line did an OUTSTANDING job protecting him. I don't think McDaniels cared too much about not being able to run, he wants to pass pass pass anyways. Champ was a STUD. Goodman was solid. Asides from Cedrics one bust out run, they stuffed the hell out of him. I will say our pass rush will be subpar without doom as today stands. Carson had ALL DAY to throw the ball.

LawDog
08-15-2010, 07:37 PM
Time for the annual discussion with Top re Orton's lack of deep threat. Yeah Top, he can throw the ball downfield, but not effectively. Lloyd was way underthrown, and the PI call on the pass to Gaffney was thrown right in the only place where the defender could make a play on it - if the defender had been trying to make a play that is - the PI call is the only way that pass moves the chains...

Other than deep, I liked Orton's poise. He is a journeyman QB, but that is all I'm afraid.

Quinn better shake off the rust or he will be #3 in a heartbeat.

Let's see what Tebow has for us in the 2nd half.

Northman
08-15-2010, 07:37 PM
Second Quarter updated.

Dirk
08-15-2010, 07:51 PM
An update to your observations...NFL Network sucks on their coverage. It's like they have never done this before...I guess it's preseason for them too.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-15-2010, 08:04 PM
An update to your observations...NFL Network sucks on their coverage. It's like they have never done this before...I guess it's preseason for them too.

That's because NFL network is just pirating the crappy local Cincinnati broadcast and coverage. The local coverage is sub par. NFL network doesn't even have a crew there.

Northman
08-15-2010, 08:34 PM
Third quarter updated

Northman
08-15-2010, 09:15 PM
4th quarter and final analysis updated.

gobroncsnv
08-15-2010, 09:17 PM
I'm glad we have a first string defense... we don't have much behind them right now. Punt coverage... have they worked on this at all in camp? Nothing shows. Also, need work on our own returns.
TREMENDOUS difference with our offense when Orton is in. 14 points vs nothing is a fairly telling stat. Course, both Tebow and Quinn would have benefited with WR's being able to catch balls that hit'm on the hands. Tebow reverted to a BIG windup, that is gonna be a tough instinct to break. That ball HAS to be closer to his body in the heat of the action. Then again, I don't know that he has to improve much to move up the depth chart past Quinn.
We have a few DB's that need to initiate contact more. Backpedaling against a running back is NEVER a good idea. Dline was discussed above, and I agree.
We got some drawing board work to do.

Overtime
08-15-2010, 09:18 PM
Brandon Lloyd has awesome deep threat speed. why he's never been utilized as such much before I'm not sure.

went to high school with the guy, and he's got some afterburners.

unfortunately, SF and Washington pretty much only utilized him as an underneath receiver, as opposed to a deep threat.

Tned
08-15-2010, 09:23 PM
Quinn- F
Tebow- A-

Ok, why a B for Orton? He had a 120 QB rating.

SOCALORADO.
08-15-2010, 09:24 PM
North, spot on, nice.
Tebow officially 2nd on depth chart. Bye, bye Quinn.
Tebow is absolutely fan freakin tastic for his 1st game. No help whatsoever from his teammates, and he just keeps moving, keeps throwing, and freakin DESTROYS that DB on his TD run. Dude is for real.
He will get a ton of time this season. and we will be able to see much, much more of him next game, Quinn will have to sweep up at the end, might not even see him anymore.

As for the defense. No pressure on ther QB. Same ol song and dance. No Elvis, no sacks. Better get that resolved quickly. STs needs to have its butt kicked as well. horrible play. Starting O was great. Orton disected the Bungles starting D no problem, and with an actual run game, it will be alot different.
Starting D looked good, but i would still like to see more play before i can make a real diagnosis. JWilliams didnt play alot, and neither did many of the starting D line guys, so we'll see. Startinf DBs looked good, but again, Palmer had too much time. This will need to get rectified, and soon.

Player of the game. TEBOW. Looked fantastic. Kids the real deal.
TEBOW=STEVE YOUNG 2.0

BroncoWave
08-15-2010, 09:25 PM

The two shaky deep passes probably.

Northman
08-15-2010, 09:28 PM

I have serious reservations on two of his passes which goes to poor judgement hence why a B. Probably could of had a B+ if it makes you feel better. :D

But considering the time he had to pass the decisions should of been better overall. Those two passes could of easily been turnovers had the defenders been looking back.

Tned
08-15-2010, 09:31 PM
I have serious reservations on two of his passes which goes to poor judgement hence why a B. Probably could of had a B+ if it makes you feel better. :D

But considering the time he had to pass the decisions should of been better overall. Those two passes could of easily been turnovers had the defenders been looking back.

I was just curious.

I taped it and will rewatch his snaps tomorrow. I only watched the stuff live, rarely even saw the replays, between typing in the game day thread and dealing with some behind the scenes forum crap. Was distracted for large parts of the game.

jhildebrand
08-15-2010, 09:32 PM
Some may not like Tebow holding onto the ball, I do. I like his poise in the pocket. He didn't seem to be afraid even after taking some hits. I like the moxy.

Orton looked good. He did throw a number of balls where the WR was forced to adjust-costing some YAC. No big deal. If Orton gets hot this team will be in a tough spot re any possible extension.

Finally, I have said this and will continue to: control the clock and grinding it out will greatly minimize the loss of Dumervil.

spikerman
08-15-2010, 09:32 PM
There were some good things and it's only preseason, but can we officially stop talking about all of the quality depth Denver has assembled?

As for the QBs,

Orton looked better, but showed again that he really doesn't have the arm or accuracy to consistently air it out. He did look good on the short and medium patterns though. Overall a good game.

Quinn - Looked VERY rough. Not a good start for him.

Tebow - I was very pleasantly surprised. Even though the windup was back I thought he was poised and fairly accurate.

After what I saw tonight Denver is going to have a really tough time generating a pass rush and maybe the Broncos' camp isn't tough enough after all. They definitely need work on tackling.

At this point we as fans had better pray that no starters get hurt because there does not appear to be much behind them.

jhildebrand
08-15-2010, 09:33 PM
Fortgot to mention Quinn: He doesn't look like a kid who played in a prostyle offense at a big time University. He didn't even seem to go through his reads. One of the passes, INT maybe, had a TE WIDE OPEN OVER THE MIDDLE OF THE FIELD.

SOCALORADO.
08-15-2010, 09:34 PM

Whats absolutely amazing is that fact that Tebow had no f'n help, and he just makes things happen.
Orton would have folded like a wet paper towel if he was out there with that O-line Tebow was playing with.
Imagine Tebow with the 1st team.
after that 1st preformance by Tebow, even though he was playing against 2nd stringers, the pressure is on Orton.

Northman
08-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Some may not like Tebow holding onto the ball, I do. I like his poise in the pocket. He didn't seem to be afraid even after taking some hits. I like the moxy.

Orton looked good. He did throw a number of balls where the WR was forced to adjust-costing some YAC. No big deal. If Orton gets hot this team will be in a tough spot re any possible extension.

Finally, I have said this and will continue to: control the clock and grinding it out will greatly minimize the loss of Dumervil.

Without a real run threat i think controlling the clock will be nearly impossible. Sadly.

Northman
08-15-2010, 09:35 PM
There were some good things and it's only preseason, but can we officially stop talking about all of the quality depth Denver has assembled?

As for the QBs,

Orton looked better, but showed again that he really doesn't have the arm or accuracy to consistently air it out. He did look good on the short and medium patterns though. Overall a good game.

Quinn - Looked VERY rough. Not a good start for him.

Tebow - I was very pleasantly surprised. Even though the windup was back I thought he was poised and fairly accurate.

After what I saw tonight Denver is going to have a really tough time generating a pass rush and maybe the Broncos' camp isn't tough enough after all. They definitely need work on tackling.

At this point we as fans had better pray that no starters get hurt because there does not appear to be much behind them.

Yea man, tackling was absolutely horrendous. McD has some work to do yet. And yea, we have zero depth where it really counts right now.

jhildebrand
08-15-2010, 09:35 PM
They definitely need work on tackling.

There's the emphasis that deserves! Wow :eek: Tackling, if you can call it that, was ATROCIOUS.

This team will rue the loss of Nolan.

Northman
08-15-2010, 09:36 PM
Imagine Tebow with the 1st team.

Im creaming myself just thinking about it. :lol:

jhildebrand
08-15-2010, 09:40 PM
Without a real run threat i think controlling the clock will be nearly impossible. Sadly.

Well it certainly will be difficult. I did see some more intermediate routes. If McD can find ways to stretch the field a bit more in the passing game, controlling the clock will be easier.

If we are back to 4-5 yard passes and tiny routes like last year, there will be no hope.

Beadles and Walton looked pretty good to me. If the passing game looks like it did tonight it will open up the middle for Moreno/Buckhalter/Fargas. It will also open up more playaction.

I am not ready to declare controlling the clock out of the question. It is only the first preseason game.

Tned
08-15-2010, 09:41 PM
Yea man, tackling was absolutely horrendous. McD has some work to do yet. And yea, we have zero depth where it really counts right now.

Hopefully, the result of one or two of those 2nd teamers filling in, or rotating with, the first teamers would result in better results than a whole squad of 2nd teamers. But, year, it was discouraging.

silkamilkamonico
08-15-2010, 09:53 PM
So, who's our backup QB? Quinn looked like garbage, and right now the game looks about 10x too fast for Tebow right now. When Orton went out, it looked like Chris Simms the rest of the game. Good god.

BroncoWave
08-15-2010, 09:58 PM
So, who's our backup QB? Quinn looked like garbage, and right now the game looks about 10x too fast for Tebow right now. When Orton went out, it looked like Chris Simms the rest of the game. Good god.

Couldn't disagree more on that. There was pressure on him on almost every play and he handled it pretty well. Would have had monster numbers if not for 2 drops.

Northman
08-15-2010, 10:00 PM
Couldn't disagree more on that. There was pressure on him on almost every play and he handled it pretty well. Would have had monster numbers if not for 2 drops.

Lmao, no kidding. The protection from the Oline that Tebow had was night and day from Orton.

Tned
08-15-2010, 10:02 PM
Lmao, no kidding. The protection from the Oline that Tebow had was night and day from Orton.

Gotta agree with you guys (even though I rarely agree with both of you in a thread :lol:). If anything, the game seemed 10x too fast for the O-line that was in front of Tebow.

silkamilkamonico
08-15-2010, 10:03 PM

There was not pressure on him almost every play. Some plays he had no pocket. Other plays he had a complete pocket. he's playing aginst 3rd teamers/practice squad players, and players playing their last career games.

He has the intangibles to be good, but we could possibly go 0-16 with him having to start this year. We would definetely go 0-16 with Quinn.

On a side note, Kyle Orton looked very good. Imagine what he would have looked like if we had our entire starting offensive unit.

SOCALORADO.
08-15-2010, 10:05 PM

Winner! winner!
Only a clueless fool could not see that tebow was running for his life and he STILL made things happen, with little or no help, doing it on his own! amazing 1st game and he shut up alot of the naysayers.
Guy was perfectly accurate on all of his throws but 2, and he was able to consistently buy time, move around, find 2nd and 3rd recievers ( who dropped his perfect passes BTW) and he also was able to just feel the pressure, while scanning downfield, and scramble out of trouble countless times.
For a 1st game, he was great. I could not be more content in his preformance. Hes for real.

BroncoWave
There was not pressure on him almost every play. Some plays he had no pocket. Other plays he had a complete pocket. he's playing aginst 3rd teamers/practice squad players, and players playing their last career games.

He has the intangibles to be good, but we could possibly go 0-16 with him having to start this year. We would definetely go 0-16 with Quinn.

On a side note, Kyle Orton looked very good. Imagine what he would have looked like if we had our entire starting offensive unit.

Yes there was.

silkamilkamonico
LMAO

I'm watching Tebow right now. It's about 50-50 with absolutely no pocket, or with a pocket/Tebow roling out.

Does 50-50 mean "almost every play" only for Tim Tebow?

silkamilkamonico
08-15-2010, 10:06 PM
Yes there was.

LMAO...no. It just looked that way because when there was no pocket, there was seriously....no pocket.

Northman
08-15-2010, 10:07 PM
There was not pressure on him almost every play.

Puff puff pass. That is some great shit your smoking.

All in all, he went 8/13 105 yds and a rushing TD which is fantastic. If Orton didnt have the entire offense Tebow had nothing but waterboys helping him.

DenBronx
08-15-2010, 10:07 PM
So....is there anyway we can get Hillis and our 6th round pick back? Damn, we could really use a bulldozer on short yardage right now. Brady Queen sucks!!!

Tebow: Did that final drive make anyone else remember the helicopter tackle in the SB? Dude showed grit and was on the money on his throws. The center kept botching the snaps and the pocket collapsed really quick. Let him run with the #1's and this kids going to shine. I think we shouldn't waste any time and just put him in as #2.

Our defense: I hate the 4-3. Elvis has left the building.

silkamilkamonico
08-15-2010, 10:08 PM
To get to the positive, add Moreno, DThomas, Clady, some more experience/health from our young line, and our offense I think will be a lot better than what I thought.

silkamilkamonico
08-15-2010, 10:08 PM
Puff puff pass. That is some great shit your smoking.

All in all, he went 8/13 105 yds and a rushing TD which is fantastic. If Orton didnt have the entire offense Tebow had nothing but waterboys helping him.

He had 6-8 completions running from his life, assuming it was "almost every play"?

And I thought I was bad at math.

Northman
08-15-2010, 10:10 PM
He had 6-8 completions running from his life, assuming it was "almost every play"?

Crack kills dude. Crack kills.

BroncoWave
08-15-2010, 10:11 PM

Fine, more than half of the plays. You are taking my wording way too literally. He was more pressured than Orton or Quinn.

silkamilkamonico
08-15-2010, 10:11 PM
Crack kills dude. Crack kills.

Apparently crack killed your math ability.

Northman
08-15-2010, 10:12 PM
Apparently crack killed your math ability.

Only in your world. But that will be our little secret. :lol:

DenBronx
08-15-2010, 10:13 PM
Sam Bradford 6-13, 57yds

Jimmy Clausen 8-15, 80 yds, int

Colt McCoy 5-10, 25 yds, 2 int

Tim Tebow 8-13, 105 yds, Rush TD

silkamilkamonico
08-15-2010, 10:13 PM
Fine, more than half of the plays. You are taking my wording way too literally. He was more pressured than Orton or Quinn.

For sure he was. I like to see now that you aren't completely exaggerating the play of Tim Tebow, like they've been doing all season and during training camp.

"The dude was under pressure almost every play and running for his life, yet he still found a way to go 8-15 and run for a TD. It was out of this world!!"

:)

HORSEPOWER 56
08-15-2010, 10:14 PM
So was Richard Quinn on vacation tonight or something? I saw plenty of that worthless-assed Marquez Branson (this guy blocks worse than Scheffler and is nowhere near the receiving threat) - he's one step above practice squad awful. He was the reason for a lot of our rushing woes. Whatever side of the LOS he lined up on, there was always a free rusher blasting through to tackle the RB while he'd stand there and watch.

I'm not impressed with him at all. I would like to see what R. Quinn can do though.

silkamilkamonico
08-15-2010, 10:15 PM
Only in your world. But that will be our little secret. :lol:

"The dude was under pressure almost every play and running for his life, yet he still found a way to go 8-15 and run for a TD. It was out of this world!!"

Northman
Winner! winner!
Only a clueless fool could not see that tebow was running for his life and he STILL made things happen, with little or no help, doing it on his own! amazing 1st game and he shut up alot of the naysayers.
Guy was perfectly accurate on all of his throws but 2, and he was able to consistently buy time, move around, find 2nd and 3rd recievers ( who dropped his perfect passes BTW) and he also was able to just feel the pressure, while scanning downfield, and scramble out of trouble countless times.
For a 1st game, he was great. I could not be more content in his preformance. Hes for real.

Could of been worse mate. He could of have perfect protection and thrown into double coverage anyway.

SOCALORADO.
For sure he was. I like to see now that you aren't completely exaggerating the play of Tim Tebow, like they've been doing all season and during training camp.

Theres silk, hampster-wheeling again.
Keep runnin silk........and smokin the rock

Northman

I knew you werent an idiot after all.

silkamilkamonico
08-15-2010, 10:16 PM
So was Richard Quinn on vacation tonight or something? I saw plenty of that worthless-assed Marquez Branson (this guy blocks worse than Scheffler and is nowhere near the receiving threat) - he's one step above practice squad awful. He was the reason for a lot of our rushing woes. Whatever side of the LOS he lined up on, there was always a free rusher blasting through to tackle the RB while he'd stand there and watch.

I'm not impressed with him at all. I would like to see what R. Quinn can do though.

Agreed. Where the hell was Quinn tonight? I didn't see him at all..

silkamilkamonico
08-15-2010, 10:17 PM
Guys, think of how godly Tim Tebow is, especially after his performance tonight and all through training camp.

And then think of how much better the other 2 Qb's are on the depth chart ahead of him. Is it possible that John Elway might not even make this team?

On a side nizzle, Tebow better be moving ahead of Quinn. That guy is terrible.

silkamilkamonico
08-15-2010, 10:18 PM
Theres silk, hampster-wheeling again.
Keep runnin silk........and smokin the rock

Your arguments are so boring, I don't even bother. At least Northman has personality.

SOCALORADO.
08-15-2010, 10:24 PM
Your arguments are so boring, I don't even bother. At least Northman has personality.

Sorta like Tebow. Hes so darn boring. no drugs or guns or thugs or hookers.

WARHORSE
08-15-2010, 10:25 PM
Tebow fired a strike with his first pass. It should have been a TD.

After that, there was little protection, and what was pissing me off were the blitzes the Bengal Dcoordinator was sending at TT.

Double corner blitzes in preseason?

I felt like walkin in the stadium and giving the guy the front and back salute.

Front and back of my hand.

Still, I thought Tebow was POISED regardless of the hits and pressure.

I like what I saw, I saw a BALLER.

I love the kid.

Considering all the haters like Jamie Dukes who want him to fail and talk trash about him, I think this kid is going to stuff it in one of his ears till it comes out all crevices.

Three hand TT salute on the docks.:salute::salute::salute:

Tebows a stud.:coffee:

Northman
08-15-2010, 10:26 PM
Tebow fired a strike with his first pass. It should have been a TD.

After that, there was little protection, and what was pissing me off were the blitzes the Bengal Dcoordinator was sending at TT.

I felt like walkin in the stadium and giving the guy the front and back salute.

Front and back of my hand.

Still, I thought Tebow was POISED regardless of the hits and pressure.

I like what I saw, I saw a BALLER.

I love the kid.

Considering all the haters like Jamie Dukes who want him to fail and talk trash about him, I think this kid is going to stuff it in one of his ears till it comes out all crevices.

Three hand TT salute on the docks.:salute::salute::salute:

Tebows a stud.:coffee:

Yea, i thought the blitzing was a little bit low class but it gives Timmy some great experience.

Tempus Fugit
08-15-2010, 10:36 PM
Just some random observations, as things seemed to me:

Orton is ready.

Royal won't be Welker, but he should be a nice outlet for Orton.

Asking Daniel Graham to make tough catches while double teamed is not the way to win a lot of games.

The young O-linemen need to improve their wind. They faded over the course of the game.

When your depth is back home and not dressed for the game, it's not surprising that what depth you do have looks bad. That's going to be amplified against a team that's already played a game to break in its bottom players.

A. Smith needs to step it up.

Quinn was pressing. He needs to just 'grip it and rip it', in the football sense. As Tebow found out later, it doesn't help when your running game is in the M*A*S*H unit and your o-line is collapsing around you, so there's no sense in waiting for that one special moment. This is not asking a woman to marry you, it's exhibition football.

In his defense, though....

Receivers + bad hands = poorer showing by the QBs.

Tebow had his good moments, like that long pass, BUT.......

He missed some easy blitz reads, including the one that resulted in the fumble/non-fumble, and

He's leaving the pocket too quickly.

He also seemed to miss a linebacker right in the middle of a throwing lane, and that SHOULD have resulted in a pick.

He runs well, but he gets upright very quickly in the open field. That's going to leave him extremely vulnerable at the NFL level.

Keys:

The young o-linemen didn't look overwhelmed and Tebow didn't look as if the game was too big or too fast for him.

I didn't see any veterans that showed an empty gas tank.

The lower round picks that I saw at least showed a glimpse or two.

As long as none of the injuries is major, I'd say it was a successful first week overall.

rcsodak
08-15-2010, 10:46 PM
(1st Quarter)

Quinn- F
Tebow- A-

RB's: as a group D

WR's: as a group B

Oline: Starters A

Defense: Starters C

Special Teams: as a group D

Wow.
Defense holds a team that already has a game under it's belt, to 3pts,(edit:0pts) and you give them a C?

Announcers were giving accolades to Orton for his passes. And they played. Just sayin'.

Running game is what it is. 2 Rooks. 1 player (ROT) the ONLY player playing from last year, and in his original spot. (Hock playing RG vs LG last year)
RB with little/no experience. I'm more concerned with not seeing Fargas. But in reality, no starting RB's, so like I said...it is what it is. Backups were playing against starters the entire 1st half, from what Logan/co were saying.

I'd say that with all the youth on the field, they played better than I expected. Take away the garbage points with 2nd/3rd stringers and soon-to-be-cut players, and denver was the better team.

jhildebrand
08-15-2010, 11:00 PM
and what was pissing me off were the blitzes the Bengal Dcoordinator was sending at TT.

Yea, i thought the blitzing was a little bit low class but it gives Timmy some great experience.

It was lame but who cares! The Bengals said they were going to work on their blitzes. If they did in the first quarter it wasn't noticeable :D Which is a good thing!

I have a feeling every team TT faces in the preseason will throw nasty crap at him. It will only serve to speed his progress and the Broncos will be better for it! The Broncos cried a couple years ago about the Cowboys playing anything but a plain vanilla D in the preseason. It was lame. The preseason is to get people ready!

At the end of today, TT made some pretty nice plays tonight and that is exciting.

Ziggy
08-15-2010, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the game summary Northman. I'm at work so I have to wait till tomorrow to watch the tape. It sounds like a rough game for most everyone except the starters. Still, I'm just glad it's football season again.

BroncoWave
08-16-2010, 12:09 AM
Adam Schefter noted that of the 4 big rookie QBs (Bradford, Tebow, Clausen, McCoy) only Tebow accounted for a TD in his first game.

Lonestar
08-16-2010, 12:25 AM

I do not think we will be re signing Orton unless Tebow is not quite ready to play or Quinn really sucks.

I was not impressed with Quinn at all to night. But I suspect he will come around and wind up a bit better than Tim is this year and call that the veteran experience factor. I suspect he is back up next year with Orton getting a fat contract somewhere else. I'm pretty sure unless he stinks it up this coming year he will not want to be Tim's Kubiack.

I thought Tebow looked damned good considering the talent around him. OR perhaps better put lack of timing from those around him.

atwater27
08-16-2010, 12:40 AM
Adam Schefter noted that of the 4 big rookie QBs (Bradford, Tebow, Clausen, McCoy) only Tebow accounted for a TD in his first game.

Poor Sam bradford... Guy is gonna get KILLED this season.

BroncoWave
08-16-2010, 12:43 AM

Yeah I feel bad for him. He has no chance to succeed with that o-line. Too bad for them they don't have a quality vet to mentor him.

Sconnie Bronco
08-16-2010, 01:27 AM
Ive been big on Tebow, especially being a fan of the Gators.

I think handicapping needs to be done when evaluating him since its his first game and its Ortons 5th or 6th season. So, saying Tebow was more impressive isnt saying that Tebow is better than Orton at this point.

I agree with many that Tebow easily lived up to expectations. The windup is something that I was hoping might be less pronounced but Elway was spot on with this. Its not the windup as much as its him seeing whats going on and accelerating his decision making. The more he's able to accelerate his decision making, the less the windup matters.

But lets be real here. When Tebow did throw the ball, they were almost always on target. And did anyone else notice that Cincinnati was blitzing a lot? I expect Tim to get better with seeing the field.

But for it being the guys very first game, it was amazing to see how strong he is. There were a couple of times when he extended the play by breakign a tackle.

And the thing that was most promising was that when he did create with his feet, he was always looking downfield. Some scramblers never learn that.

I also have to give credit to McDaniels for the first two pass plays they ran with Tebow. Their very first play was a bootleg rollout pass to Branson that looked like it could have easily been a run/pass option. And then two plays later, after they have the defense thinking about defending the short stuff from sideline to sideline, they use Tebow's other strength which is that he throws a really nice deep ball. The first three plays that Tebow were in were well conceived and would have been well-executed if Willis had held onto the ball. But essentially, the first three plays with Tebow, in a very specific way, used his two biggest attributes (creating with his feet and throwing the deep ball) against the defense.

I liked the Steve Young comparison but it was a little Elway-R'berger esque at times (except for the rapes).

Sconnie Bronco
08-16-2010, 01:32 AM
Wow.
Defense holds a team that already has a game under it's belt, to 3pts, and you give them a C?

Announcers were giving accolades to Orton for his passes. And they played. Just sayin'.

Running game is what it is. 2 Rooks. 1 player (ROT) the ONLY player playing from last year, and in his original spot. (Hock playing RG vs LG last year)
RB with little/no experience. I'm more concerned with not seeing Fargas. But in reality, no starting RB's, so like I said...it is what it is. Backups were playing against starters the entire 1st half, from what Logan/co were saying.

I'd say that with all the youth on the field, they played better than I expected. Take away the garbage points with 2nd/3rd stringers and soon-to-be-cut players, and denver was the better team.

In fairness, even though they only gave up 3 points, they were giving up yards and were run on. C may be a little low but also the starting defense wasnt in very long.

Sconnie Bronco
08-16-2010, 02:13 AM
BTW, and sorry for chain posting, I thought it was worth pointing out that we had 15 runs and 42 passes tonight. And Im not sure how many of those runs were scrambles. But thats a big disparity even without adding the scrambles.

I know we have a running back problem and we have a couple of new QBs that are being broken in, but we also have a new Guard and Center that may need to be broken in even more.

Itll be interesting to see where the run/pass ratio is the next game. Hopefully its a little more balanced.

TXBRONC
08-16-2010, 10:29 AM
QB: Im about 50/50 on Orton. Even when healthy im still seeing the lack of
quick decision making. On some passes he looks real good and on others he
makes some poor decisions. Obviously, he can throw it down the field (duh) but
on the pass to Lloyd it was under thrown and in double coverage. On the first drive
his pass to the back of the defenders helmet got bailed out by the roughing the
passer call. Im hoping that later on in this game that Quinn or Tebow show more. Good
news is that Orton is utilizing his pocket presence and moving up when necessary.

I think the biggest problem with pass that nearly got picked was that Orton didn't get enough air under it.

arapaho2
08-16-2010, 10:42 AM
heres what i see

1. orton will be ok...again not great...had the deep ball to open up the field and underthrew it, no surprise there, just kyle orton

2. the starting oline looked solid despite two rooks and missing kupe and clady

3. for the sake of a running game we better hope moreno busts out because these back up backs showed nothing

4. alphonso smith sucks..missed easy tackles all nite, just showed nothing that a second year cb that cost the 14th overall pick should..nothing...

5. we need scheffler more than mcd realizes, his stubbern pride has taken the best pass catching TE and replaced him with a guy who would not start for any other nfl team

6. with what the running game showed..i would gladly give back quinn for hillis

7. special teams looked attrociously bad,

8. we have no depth, contrary to what the coaches fan reps say here...there appears to be zero depth..in other words the bengals second and thirds whipped our 2nd and 3rds...after the starters theres a huge drop off

9. doom will be missed..still ayers showed some speed and push and i believe he will be a great player soon enough

10. tebow was solid

Northman
08-16-2010, 10:50 AM
In fairness, even though they only gave up 3 points, they were giving up yards and were run on. C may be a little low but also the starting defense wasnt in very long.

Not only that but the Bengals offense had been struggling all preseason which is why Lewis kept the offensive starters in the game after we took our starters out. Also, we had virtually no pass rush at any point which for anyone who's been paying attention for a while now has been a major achilles heel for us. The pass rush simply has to get better if we are going to have a successful year in any way shape or form.

BroncoNut
08-16-2010, 11:26 AM
I would still like to see more pounding the ball and controlling the clock. Probably be a while before we see that again if ever :rolleyes: this game doesn't seem what it used to be.

jhildebrand
08-16-2010, 11:54 AM
7. special teams looked attrociously bad,

You can say that again.

jhildebrand
08-16-2010, 11:55 AM

Sam Bradford is about to be David Carr'd.

arapaho2
08-16-2010, 12:19 PM
You can say that again.

special teams looked attrociously bad :beer:

arapaho2
08-16-2010, 12:20 PM
Sam Bradford is about to be David Carr'd.

i'd get carr'd for fifty mill..gladly :elefant:

underrated29
08-16-2010, 12:27 PM

I have been saying all camp that I do not know what Josh sees in this guy. To me he flat out sucks. And if it was not for a lack of depth issue I would say he is cut.......I still think he gets cut.

I will do my film breakdown tonight after my workout (JD,TT,) but here a few thoughts I had.

I liked what I saw from tebow, but I think everyone is going overboard about his play. IT was good, bout what I expected, but not that good. Quinn did not look good, but give the man time. It was his first pre season game.

Willis has been a stud ALL camp. Give the man a break for dropping an easy pass. The ball was not perfectly thrown anyway.

I do not see the arguement of lack of depth. Have of our backups are starting, because of injuries. And the other 2s/3s were getting beat by the other 2s/3s and not that badly. You cant expect ALL the backups to play well together, in addition to our first game, and they only scored the one TD on us. The tackling did suck balls though. Big time issue that needs to be fixed.

BroncoNut
08-16-2010, 12:43 PM
Nice breakdown UR. what do you do, tape the games?

I fell asleep or passed out for the game/ don't really remember. but the highlights i saw of Tebow were impressive. His hair has also grown back nicely.,. He compensated with buzzing the sides. I think he should keep it that way it looks nice. Ladies?

WARHORSE
08-16-2010, 01:28 PM
I thought our oline had some huge holes at times to run through.

I was happy with that.

A better back would have made more out of those runs.

Also, a reminder to some guys that Dawk, DJ and Jamal didnt play.

At least, I didnt see them.

First team D did good.

Remember our offense against this Bengals team last year sputtered.

This year, two TDs out of first three poss.s

I'll take it for the debut.

underrated29
08-16-2010, 01:28 PM
Nice breakdown UR. what do you do, tape the games?

I fell asleep or passed out for the game/ don't really remember. but the highlights i saw of Tebow were impressive. His hair has also grown back nicely.,. He compensated with buzzing the sides. I think he should keep it that way it looks nice. Ladies?

Nut- i have not brokendown anything yet amigo. BUt yes, I DVR ALL the games, esp pre season and go back the next day and focus just on one player and all their snaps. Then write up what I see. I may be wrong or right about what I see, but I like to do it and it gives us something to talk about too. So tonight after my workout I will start with muh boi JD. Then TT and prob ayers.

I did notice akin ayoedielououa a bunch and I do not like what I saw..I think ILB is in big trouble if Jarvis moss does not come back and tear it up. THat or reid or haggan need to get back to where they belong. ILB has me big time worried.

rcsodak
08-16-2010, 10:26 PM

Benson had 24 yds against them, with 21 coming with the big run. That's alot of nothings to go along with it.

For playing their FIRST game with each other, against the 2nd game Bengals and their running game....not bad.

rcsodak
08-16-2010, 10:54 PM
Not only that but the Bengals offense had been struggling all preseason which is why Lewis kept the offensive starters in the game after we took our starters out. Also, we had virtually no pass rush at any point which for anyone who's been paying attention for a while now has been a major achilles heel for us. The pass rush simply has to get better if we are going to have a successful year in any way shape or form.

Cinci's Oline is established. Out of 477 passing attempts last year, they gave up 29 sacks. That's 1/16 pass attempts.
Sunday's game involved them throwing 33x, giving up 2 sacks. Guess what.....1/16 pass attempts.

In last year's opener against Cinci, Denver had 3 sacks. 2 by players not playing this game. 3/33 pass attempts, AFTER a full preseason and WITH Doom playing (only 2tackles, 0 sacks).

And this was a preseason game, where the only things that mattered were getting used to playing again, gelling, conditioning, and not getting injured.

I'd say sans McBath, mission accomplished.

Sconnie Bronco
08-17-2010, 09:38 AM
Benson had 24 yds against them, with 21 coming with the big run. That's alot of nothings to go along with it.

For playing their FIRST game with each other, against the 2nd game Bengals and their running game....not bad.

OK, but the 21 yard run still counts.

The thing is that it happens a lot that 3 yard runs in the 1st qtr become 5 and 6 yard runs in the 3rd and 4th qtrs. So its really hard to get overly excited about how we did against the running game based on two series.

sanluis
08-17-2010, 10:16 AM
I thought our oline had some huge holes at times to run through.

I was happy with that.

A better back would have made more out of those runs.

Also, a reminder to some guys that Dawk, DJ and Jamal didnt play.

At least, I didnt see them.

First team D did good.

Remember our offense against this Bengals team last year sputtered.

This year, two TDs out of first three poss.s

I'll take it for the debut.

Jamal Williams played. He had 1 tackle and one assist. The tackle was after the running back had gained a few yards and one assist at the line of scrimmage. He was on the ground a lot and showed no push IMO. It was his first live action in almost a year so I guess he did OK. From what I saw he looks much lighter than he was in SD but not very effective yet. Only first pre-season and this was cinci's second game so they looked a little better on the lines , espeshally the 2 nd and 3 rd teamers.

How did you guys think the lines played and did anyone else see Jamal?

arapaho2
08-17-2010, 10:23 AM
Jamal Williams played. He had 1 tackle and one assist. The tackle was after the running back had gained a few yards and one assist at the line of scrimmage. He was on the ground a lot and showed no push IMO. It was his first live action in almost a year so I guess he did OK. From what I saw he looks much lighter than he was in SD but not very effective yet. Only first pre-season and this was cinci's second game so they looked a little better on the lines , espeshally the 2 nd and 3 rd teamers.

he and ayers were two of the starters i specifically watched

despite what some are saying i think ayers did well, got some huge pressure against a solid LT

jwall also did ok..bit rusty, slow to react but keep in mind its his first real game action in a year...i did see hm running, pursueing and holding his own on the line..jwall will be fine this season

sanluis
08-17-2010, 10:35 AM
he and ayers were two of the starters i specifically watched

despite what some are saying i think ayers did well, got some huge pressure against a solid LT

jwall also did ok..bit rusty, slow to react but keep in mind its his first real game action in a year...i did see hm running, pursueing and holding his own on the line..jwall will be fine this season

He looks like he's dropped about thirty pounds! He has always been a side line to side line guy. He was running well I agree.

Jamal usually does more than hold his spot, he used to push the o-line back into the runner or QB. Did not see any of that yet. He also was on the ground a few times. You didn't see mach of that either . Still early so we will see.

topscribe
08-17-2010, 10:37 AM

Pretty accurate, IMO. Not the Jamal of old, but there's a lot of preseason left . . .

-----

arapaho2
08-17-2010, 11:56 AM
He looks like he's dropped about thirty pounds! He has always been a side line to side line guy. He was running well I agree.

Jamal usually does more than hold his spot, he used to push the o-line back into the runner or QB. Did not see any of that yet. He also was on the ground a few times. You didn't see mach of that either . Still early so we will see.

keep in mind in scheme of the overall defense....jwall at 90% of his former self..is still way better than fields at 100%