PDA

View Full Version : Shanahan knew about Henry's drug test:

turftoad
07-11-2008, 04:28 PM
Shanny knew about Henry's drug test

So it looks like Mike Shanahan didn't totally decide to enter the Selvin Young era on his own. Travis Henry tested positive for marijuana yet again this summer, and the Broncos reportedly knew about it before releasing him. Since the drug program is confidential, we can't fault the Broncos for not divulging why Henry was booted at the time.

This doesn't change my feelings on Young. Henry was no lock to make the team even before failing this test. Shanahan is tied to no runner. He didn't cut Henry because he was convinced Young was the man. He cut Henry because he had no choice. I'm sure Shanny likes his young stable of runners, but I'm also sure he won't be shy about shaking things up if the backfield struggles.

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 11, 2008 02:29 PM

http://blogs.rotoworld.com/Fantasy_Football/2008/07/shanny_knew_about_henrys_drug.php

NightTrainLayne
07-11-2008, 04:30 PM
Shanny knew about Henry's drug test

So it looks like Mike Shanahan didn't totally decide to enter the Selvin Young era on his own. Travis Henry tested positive for marijuana yet again this summer, and the Broncos reportedly knew about it before releasing him. Since the drug program is confidential, we can't fault the Broncos for not divulging why Henry was booted at the time.

This doesn't change my feelings on Young. Henry was no lock to make the team even before failing this test. Shanahan is tied to no runner. He didn't cut Henry because he was convinced Young was the man. He cut Henry because he had no choice. I'm sure Shanny likes his young stable of runners, but I'm also sure he won't be shy about shaking things up if the backfield struggles.

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on July 11, 2008 02:29 PM

http://blogs.rotoworld.com/Fantasy_Football/2008/07/shanny_knew_about_henrys_drug.php

I guess that could be the reason Travis wouldn't show his face at Dove Valley.

jrelway
07-11-2008, 04:43 PM
poor shanny, give guys second chances and they end up shitting on him. may they all rot in football hell.

turftoad
07-11-2008, 04:47 PM
Makes more sense now that Shanny said this at the time of the release.

"He's just too inconsistent as a person. When you're too inconsistent as a person, you usually aren't going to win championships," Shanahan said then.

"I'm not going to get into details what he did do or didn't do. You have to do little things. If you don't do the little things, obviously you can't count on somebody. So that's why he's released."

Broncos Mtnman
07-11-2008, 04:52 PM
poor shanny, give guys second chances and they end up shitting on him. may they all rot in football hell.

Would that include the player in your sig?

:coffee:

jrelway
07-11-2008, 04:55 PM
nope. :coffee:

Broncos Mtnman
07-11-2008, 04:59 PM
nope. :coffee:

Ah, the irony.....

:coffee:

WARHORSE
07-11-2008, 10:27 PM
Now we know why we didnt hear any response from Henry in the press following his dismissal.

Kinda hard to argue with another drug bust. If its not a positive piss test with him, its a positive pregnancy test.

At least theres some consistency in his life.

Finger and his thumb in the shape of an 'L' on his forehead.................

Northman
07-11-2008, 10:28 PM
If Marshall doesnt clean up his act expect more of the same.

rcsodak
07-12-2008, 11:12 AM
This isn't proven, Shanny knowing about it, and has been reversed by the Denver urinal *post*, as saying he knew.

Plus, missing tests is the same as not passing one, and OhHenry missed 3!!!!

So does that mean he didn't actually fail one, only didn't take them *he charges they're not right*, or finally did take one only to fail one???????

Ugh......me have headache..... :shocked:

Retired_Member_001
07-12-2008, 01:53 PM
I told everyone that I bet Shanahan cut Henry because he failed a drug test.

:D

Well, to be honest, it wasn't that hard to predict.

broncosfanscott
07-12-2008, 08:29 PM

Totally.

UnderArmour
07-12-2008, 08:35 PM

At least Marshall doesn't do drugs or have kids in half the states.

DenBronx
07-12-2008, 09:02 PM
eh....these guys prove me wrong time and time again. i usually always give people the benifit of the doubt or a second/third/fourth chance and it always seems to come back to haunt you. henry could have been a stud on this team but his sole desire in life is to be a f*ck up!

sad to say....but my favorite bronco marshall's future with the broncos looks really short at this point. he just might end up being f*ck up #2. :coffee: i would love to be playing in the nfl like these guys do....what a waste!

i hope this royal kid ends up being a steve smith clone.

slim
07-12-2008, 09:31 PM
At least Marshall doesn't do drugs or have kids in half the states.

No, he just smacks his women around.

BeefStew25
07-12-2008, 11:50 PM
No, he just smacks his women around.

Well, those dishes aren't going to wash themselves.

jrelway
07-13-2008, 05:31 PM
from rotoworld:

Citing two NFL sources, the Denver Post disputes a report that the Broncos knew of Travis Henry's failed drug test before cutting him in June.

"We didn't know about it so that had nothing to do with (releasing Henry)," said a team official. "He missed treatments and some workouts and just didn't get with the program. It finally got to the point where (Mike Shanahan) said good riddance." Henry himself likely did know he'd tested positive, however, which is probably why he quit showing up.
Source: Denver Post

tubby
07-13-2008, 06:09 PM
Henry again tests positive
The Broncos say they were unaware of the fact when they released the veteran.
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 07/12/2008 06:18:07 PM MDT

The Broncos were not aware the NFL had ruled that Travis Henry tested positive for marijuana again prior to the team releasing the running back June 2, two NFL sources said.

A source close to Henry confirmed the league said he tested positive for marijuana in May. However, procedure in such instances limits the league to send one letter to the players union and one letter to the player notifying him of the positive test. Because of the drug program's confidentiality agreement, no notification is sent to the team.

"We didn't know about it, so that had nothing to do with (releasing Henry)," a Broncos official said. "He missed treatments and some workouts and just didn't get with the program. It finally got to the point where (Broncos coach Mike Shanahan) said good riddance."

If Henry is found guilty of testing positive, it would be his third offense, which in turn would result in a one-year suspension. The latest offense could well doom the career of Henry, who had three rushing seasons of at least 1,200 yards before he signed a five-year, $22.5 million contract with the Broncos in March 2007.

He wound up receiving $6.7 million of that deal.

Besides Henry's off-field troubles — it was also revealed during a child support hearing last year that he has fathered nine children with nine women — he will turn 30 in October, a relatively advanced age for running backs.

Early last season with the Broncos, the league ruled that Henry had tested positive for low levels of THC, the active ingredient in marijuana. However, Shanahan and attorney Harvey Steinberg successfully argued against the testing procedure and the ruling was overturned on appeal in December.

The league was not through with Henry, however. According to an NFL source, Henry missed three drug tests after winning his appeal. The league sent him notification that under the league's drug policy, a missed test is the equivalent of a positive reading.

The Broncos eventually were made aware of Henry's missed tests, which might explain why the team briefly considered Oregon running back Jonathan Stewart with their No. 12 pick in the NFL draft on April 26. Prior to the draft, however, Steinberg was able to successfully argue the league was testing Henry beyond the allotment in the collective bargaining agreement, that he was out of town during the alleged missed tests, and that all his other tests came out clean.

The league did not suspend Henry, and the Broncos wound up taking left tackle Ryan Clady with their No. 12 pick. The team had planned to open the season with Henry at running back, but that changed in late May when Henry pulled his hamstring prior to the team's offseason minicamps. He then came up with numerous excuses why he couldn't attend treatment.

At the time, Henry knew what the Broncos say they didn't know: The league said he again tested positive for marijuana.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_9858055

Retired_Member_001
07-15-2008, 05:09 AM
from rotoworld:

Citing two NFL sources, the Denver Post disputes a report that the Broncos knew of Travis Henry's failed drug test before cutting him in June.

"We didn't know about it so that had nothing to do with (releasing Henry)," said a team official. "He missed treatments and some workouts and just didn't get with the program. It finally got to the point where (Mike Shanahan) said good riddance." Henry himself likely did know he'd tested positive, however, which is probably why he quit showing up.
Source: Denver Post

I remember when we released him, there was a statement released that said something like, " Travis Henry's commitments are not with the team and we do not feel he has the teams best interests at heart". It was something a long the lines of that. That would probably mean the quote from Denver Post is pretty accurate. I imagine Travis was just being as lazy of a player as he is a Father.

Nomad
07-15-2008, 07:16 AM

I hope Marshall changes his attitude. We all go through growing pains and he'd be a hell of a player to lose. Sad thing is, 'if' it would happen he'd probably end up on the Raiders.

Kaylore
07-15-2008, 04:28 PM
Glad to have the *******-maker off the team.:D

Those stars might spell a word rhyming with tastard.

Dean
07-15-2008, 05:00 PM
Shanahan knew about the positive drug test. Shanahan didn't know. Who cares. The bottom line is that someone who didn't care much about being an NFL running back no longer is. Just like yesterday's breakfast the system will run its course and get rid of him.

rcsodak
07-19-2008, 10:21 AM
Shanahan knew about the positive drug test. Shanahan didn't know. Who cares. The bottom line is that someone who didn't care much about being an NFL running back no longer is. Just like yesterday's breakfast the system will run its course and get rid of him.

Agreed, dean.

Typically, people rush to post shit that doesn't pass the smell test, but post it anyway so they can win the 'headlines contest'.

Regardless, Thenry's old news for this team....and possibly for this league.

I heard Williams told him to come down and join him in Miami......stay tooned. :coffee:

turftoad
07-19-2008, 10:31 AM
Agreed, dean.

Typically, people rush to post shit that doesn't pass the smell test, but post it anyway so they can win the 'headlines contest'.

Then why the hell did you click on it. You must like headlines.

rcsodak
07-19-2008, 10:32 AM
Then why the hell did you click on it. You must like headlines.

Read my initial post, and you'll see why.

Thought it was pretty obvious..... :rolleyes:

turftoad
07-19-2008, 10:44 AM

:tomato:

nevcraw
07-19-2008, 11:06 AM

Funny in a pathetic way that would bash someone for posting an interesting spin on a past story after you have already chimed in on said story.. and just because the Broncos denied knowing about Henry's failure doesnt make it so..who cares if you don't find it newsworthy..