PDA

View Full Version : Despite injury to Broncos running back Moreno, he's still No. 1 gu

Lonestar
08-15-2010, 12:58 AM
Q&A: Despite injury to Broncos running back Moreno, he's still No. 1 guy
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
POSTED: 08/14/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Denver Broncos Knowshon Moreno (27) runs through drills during practice August 1, 2010 at Dove Valley. (John Leyba, The Denver Post)
Today's question about the Broncos comes from Barry Smith. Send your question via e-mail to jlegwold@denverpost.com.

Q: Injuries to the running backs have been heavy this camp. How many of the injuries can be related to the offseason training program? (Knowshon) Moreno seems to be especially susceptible to injuries, at least thus far with the Broncos. I don't believe the Broncos had such a number of camp injuries during the Mike Shanahan years. It begs the question. Given coach Josh McDaniels' approach to the preseason versus regular season and his predilection to trade/waive players that do not fit his scheme, is Moreno the next player on the trade block?

A: Barry, there were years when Shanahan had to deal with the same kind of injury news McDaniels has had in camp thus far.

Shanahan would not put the team in full pads as much as McDaniels does, but there were years Shanahan had head trainer Steve Antonopulos walk over and give him the bad news as many times as McDaniels has gotten it in the last few weeks.

As far as Moreno, the running back has indeed suffered an injury in his first week of training camp in both of his NFL seasons.

Last year he had a brief holdout, signed his contract and was then injured in San Francisco in his first preseason appearance, days after he signed his contract. He didn't play the remainder of the preseason in 2009 because of a sprained knee.

This year he suffered a hamstring injury in the first practice of training camp and has not been on the field since.

The concern is Moreno started sluggishly last season after missing the practice time — he rushed for just one touchdown in the team's 6-0 start and had two starts when he averaged just 2.4 yards a carry in those six games. The Broncos had hoped he would be ready for a fast start this time around because they'd like for him to be the unquestioned primary runner in what is usually a one-back set in their base formation.

And despite the missed time, when he returns, he is the No. 1 guy. But how much all of the missed work affects him this time around remains to be seen.

He says he's stronger after the offseason program, more ready to go this time, but the proof will be in the carries.

Overall, this is McDaniels' first draft pick with the Broncos — he took Moreno 12th overall in the 2009 draft — and a player McDaniels is fond of. He believes Moreno could be a rare three-down back in his offense with the ability to run, catch and pass protect when needed.

So Moreno is in no danger at the moment of falling out of favor. But pro football is always and forever a results-oriented business. And eventually the Broncos will want to see the results from Moreno they wanted when they said he was the 12th-best player on the draft board.

Jeff Legwold: 303-954-2359 or jlegwold@denverpost.com

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15772304

silkamilkamonico
08-15-2010, 12:28 PM
IMO Moreno better have a very good year or McDaniels will think about bringing someone in to seriously challenge him via draft next year.

BroncoNut
08-15-2010, 12:43 PM
McDaniels better have a pretty good year or he may not be around for the draft.

silkamilkamonico
08-15-2010, 12:51 PM
Mcdaniels will be around another year at least he shoudl be. We don't want to turn this organization into the Cleveland Browns.

BroncoNut
08-15-2010, 01:03 PM
Mcdaniels will be around another year at least he shoudl be. We don't want to turn this organization into the Cleveland Browns.

yeah, I hope, and your probably right silk. McD would really have to eff things up this season to be ousted. I know he's done some unpopular things last year, but he's just starting to get on with his program.

silkamilkamonico
08-15-2010, 01:16 PM
Don't get me wrong, McDaniels doesn't have a long term timetable IMHO, but I think you give him a chance to see where the organization is at after his 3rd season, and that's regardless if Tebow is ready, or not.

3 years is usually how long a coach will get to show he's something, and then is re-evaluated after 3 years. All in all I think Bowlen is committed to McDaniels so he might be there a little longer then the fans liking if the team isn't winning.

I personally really like what he's don (other than Tebow but I'll trust him), but at the same time I want to see production in the wins column.

BroncoNut
08-15-2010, 01:18 PM
I don't mean to be a yes man, but that's pretty much my take silk. He needs at least this season and the next is how I see it. He'll get the next if he goes better than 5 and 11 which he will. Anything less, he may likely be gone.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-15-2010, 01:28 PM
I don't mean to be a yes man, but that's pretty much my take silk. He needs at least this season and the next is how I see it. He'll get the next if he goes better than 5 and 11 which he will. Anything less, he may likely be gone.

Of course, things would have to be considered - injuries for one.

BroncoNut
08-15-2010, 01:35 PM
Of course Carol. Nothing's that simple, there's no need to get snippy about it. Post reported btw

Denver Native (Carol)
08-15-2010, 01:37 PM
Of course Carol. Nothing's that simple, there's no need to get snippy about it. Post reported btw

:elefant: :elefant: :elefant: :elefant: :elefant:

BroncoNut
08-15-2010, 01:48 PM
not to change the subject from Moreno, but I am really looking forward to see Mr. Orton. based on what I've heard about his improvement

on Mo, I expect good things from him this season for some reason.

BigDaddyBronco
08-15-2010, 01:58 PM
If Orton can stay healthy, I think he could have a pretty good year. My fear is if Clady doesn't get back soon, Orton will not make it past game 3.

BroncoNut
08-15-2010, 02:02 PM
If Orton can stay healthy, I think he could have a pretty good year. My fear is if Clady doesn't get back soon, Orton will not make it past game 3.

that's a ridiculous prediction onionhead. Let's see how things pan out. DAMN I"M PUMPED!!!!!

Tned
08-15-2010, 02:05 PM
Of course, things would have to be considered - injuries for one.

Even with injuries, if he wins less than 5 games it's going to be hard for Bowlen to keep him.

Don't get me wrong, McDaniels doesn't have a long term timetable IMHO, but I think you give him a chance to see where the organization is at after his 3rd season, and that's regardless if Tebow is ready, or not.

3 years is usually how long a coach will get to show he's something, and then is re-evaluated after 3 years. All in all I think Bowlen is committed to McDaniels so he might be there a little longer then the fans liking if the team isn't winning.

I personally really like what he's don (other than Tebow but I'll trust him), but at the same time I want to see production in the wins column.

In general, I agree. I think three years is about right. Some clubs have quicker triggers, firing a coach before during their third year, but in many cases I think that is a mistake, because it doesn't give a coach time to rebuild the team 'his' way.

I tend to think as long as the team is competitive in most games, even if around .500 or even sub .500, he's good for at least three years total.

Now, I think there are a couple things besides a really crappy 2010 season that could change things.

First, if Bowlen simply isn't buying in to what McDaniels is doing, then he could pull the trigger quicker. No need to post "Bowlen has said publicly he is 100% behind McDaniels", because one I didn't say he wasn't, and two Bowlen would say that publicly regardless. I am simply givng my opinion of the only likely scenarios that would get him fired after 2010.

Second, if Bowlen is on the fence about whether McDaniels is a long term solution for the Broncos, and at the same time there is a big name coach that Bowlen wants out on the open market.

However, short of those above two scenarios, I tend to think it's three years unless this year is just dreadful.

Elevation inc
08-15-2010, 03:21 PM
regardless of who is the number 1 guy...moreno has talent.....lets just hope he doesnt start slow again....i do like the fargas and White signings alot.....buck and Knowshon are a competent 1-2.....but with a injuury history there having competent runners behind both them/Unlike lamont jordan last year...we should be better off......

lendale is proven talent when he wants to be, and fargas rushed for 500 yds last year while splitting carries with 2 other backs.....

both backs should be able to keep moreno and bucky healthier and fresher, and if either bucky or moreno goes down i feel confident either white or fargas could at least keep us competitive.....

anyway you slice it for me i still feel better about our RB core now than i did last year.....